Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Combine Testing and On-Field Drills Thread - Day 1 - WR/TE/QB

Here's a thread for us to discuss the testing and drills of the first group of prospects this week - the TEs, WRs and QBs. 

Some numbers from the bench press have already been released for the TEs and WRs. You can find some here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kWcb-dn9aqgn2pM6teYGbxiA4Kql1aMMrgjvtD-ofTE/edit#gid=557759600

Notables: 

From the WRs: Quintez Cephus and Gandy-Golden with most reps on bench press with 23 and 22 respectively. 

From the TEs:

- most reps - Josiah Deguara with 25 and Hunter Bryant and Jared Pinkney with 23 reps on bench press,

- least reps - Harrison Briant with 13

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cephus had off the field issues but whenever I saw him play against Ohio State, that dude made catches in traffic all the time, he is strong for his frame. That is why I feel he would be a good flier in Rounds 5 or 6.

Gandy-Golden's nfl.com comp is DaVante Parker, and he would be a guy I'd not mind drafting as early as Round 3, he has shown me enough in the Senior Bowl and on tape to suggest he'd be a good outside wide out.

40 time for WRs will be important. Ballard seems to like with explosive traits at receiver. No receiver we drafted ran slow than a 4.4 in the 40 and they all excelled in the other tests too. 

Watch out for Mims. Not only is he big but he’s a high school track guy. He should also kill the vertical and broad jump too

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

40 time for WRs will be important. Ballard seems to like with explosive traits at receiver. No receiver we drafted ran slow than a 4.4 in the 40 and they all excelled in the other tests too. 

Watch out for Mims. Not only is he big but he’s a high school track guy. He should also kill the vertical and broad jump too

I think Ballard cannot pull an Al Davis with quick twitch athletic developmental prospects anymore that show "potential" for the WR front. We need a guy with production to go with that quick twitch athletic prospect so that we aren't always holding out hope wondering. No more Fountain/Cain type of guys, IMO. Let us get a guy who has shown us something in the Senior Bowl against good competion or all year in college against good competition. The field for all type of WRs (inside, outside, small slot, big slot) is deep, so we can be a bit choosy now, IMO.

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Cephus had off the field issues but whenever I saw him play against Ohio State, that dude made catches in traffic all the time, he is strong for his frame. That is why I feel he would be a good flier in Rounds 5 or 6.

Gandy-Golden's nfl.com comp is DaVante Parker, and he would be a guy I'd not mind drafting as early as Round 3, he has shown me enough in the Senior Bowl and on tape to suggest he'd be a good outside wide out.

On NFL.com it said Cephus was acquitted of all chargers.  I also think It's interesting that Lance compares him to the Colts own Pascal

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

On NFL.com it said Cephus was acquitted of all chargers.  I also think It's interesting that Lance compares him to the Colts own Pascal

That strength of his shows up in catches in traffic and run blocking he did for Wisconsin from the WR spot. That underrated #2 or #3 WR, I can see why he compares to Pascal.

I need to see what Van Jefferson runs. I’m getting caught up on his tape and wow. His route running is as good as people have said. He cooked Stingley Jr. from LSU this past season. He also abused every Florida State DB. Man if he runs in the 4.4’s look out.

Only thing I don’t see is YAC ability and contested catch ability.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I need to see what Van Jefferson runs. I’m getting caught up on his tape and wow. His route running is as good as people have said. He cooked Stingley Jr. from LSU this past season. He also abused every Florida State DB. Man if he runs in the 4.4’s look out.

Slot is where he will be drafted for. That probably puts him as a Day 2 prospect. That was the same thing said about Deebo Samuel as well but he went to a scheme with a creative OC which allowed him to get plenty of yards rushing as well as receiving.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

:facepalm:

On the flipside, that could allow him to be had as a really late pick.

So have they started anything yet?  I am at work, and last year I was able to watch.  Between all our firewalls and IT filters, I can't watch, the combine trackers on nfl.com are blanked out, second hand trackers have been not helpful.  Usually they are close to done by now (aren't they?) and I can't find information on anything.

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

So have they started anything yet?  I am at work, and last year I was able to watch.  Between all our firewalls and IT filters, I can't watch, the combine trackers on nfl.com are blanked out, second hand trackers have been not helpful.  Usually they are close to done by now (aren't they?) and I can't find information on anything.

they moved the tests and drills to the afternoon for TV purposes. 

They start in about 20 minutes I think. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

they moved the tests and drills to the afternoon for TV purposes. 

They start in about 20 minutes I think. 

I mean, that's kind of a bummer.  Not really interesting enough to watch as it's more like baseball.  I can always look at the screen when I hear something interesting or a particular name, but I'm mostly working.  

Combine starting with TEs running 40...(will be adding times here)

Devin Asiasi 4.80 ... 4.74(second run)

Harrison Bryant 4.74 ...

Hunter Bryant 4.75 (a bit slower than expected) ... 4.77 

Josiah Deguara 4.73 ... 4.74

Brycen Hopkins 4.67 ... 4.75

Dalton Keene 4.73 ... 4.72

Cole Kmet 4.70 (real nice for his size, he's an athlete) ... 4.71

Cheyenne O'Grady 4.81 ... 4.83

Albert Okwuegbunam  4.49 (NICE) ... 4.50un

Colby Parkinson 4.78 ... 4.84

Jared Pinkney 5.00 (horrible... this pre-draft year gets worse and worse for Pinkney) ... 4.96

Stephen Sullivan 4.66 ... 4.67

Charlie Taumoepeau 4.75 ... 4.79

Adam Trautman 4.79 (this looked a bit... awkward... ) ... 4.80

Mitchell Wilcox 4.88 ... 4.95

Charlie Woerner 4.79 ... 

Dominick Wood-Anderson 4.94

Thad Moss won't run. 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Combine starting with TEs running 40...(will be adding times here)

Devin Asiasi 4.80

Harrison Bryant 4.74

Hunter Bryant 4.75 (a bit slower than expected)

Josiah Deguara 4.73

Brycen Hopkins 4.67

Dalton Keene 4.73

Unofficial time for Hunter Bryant is 4.60

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Pinkney with a 5.00 and a 4.96. Im not impressed

This year has been brutal for him. Horrible college season then followed it with horrible Senior bowl where an underwhelming DB class shut him down in one-on-ones where the whole drill usually gives the advantage to the offensive player and then this... wth? 

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Is he expected to be a high draft pick? That is crazy fast for a TE.

He was projected around R3-R4, but I can see him jumping firmly into day 2 now, possible R2

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

Kmet looks real good in all drills. Catches seamlessly and naturally... good blocking... good time in 40s... he's a winner so far of the TE group. TE1.

I came here to post the same thing. So smooth and natural in his movement and routes. Doesn't look labored or choppy like some of the other TE's.

6 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Wilcox from USF looked awful in the gauntlet.  If you were deciding his future based solely on his gauntlet runs, he'd have trouble making the XFL.

His was the only one I caught. My god...

My TE impressions so far:

Brycen Hopkins hasn't done anything bad, but hasn't done anything great.  I want to like him pretty badly, but he's not set himself apart in any way.

Cole Kmet has done everything well, and looks good doing it.

Albert Okwuegbunam's 40 time made me sit up and pay attention.  Did other things well.

My surprise pick:  Dalton Keane, VA Tech.  He looked powerful.  Positively god like.  I wouldn't be surprised if he wound up being a mid-round Patriots choice.

9 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

My TE impressions so far:

Brycen Hopkins hasn't done anything bad, but hasn't done anything great.  I want to like him pretty badly, but he's not set himself apart in any way.

Cole Kmet has done everything well, and looks good doing it.

Albert Okwuegbunam's 40 time made me sit up and pay attention.  Did other things well.

My surprise pick:  Dalton Keane, VA Tech.  He looked powerful.  Positively god like.  I wouldn't be surprised if he wound up being a mid-round Patriots choice.

From the low profile players I liked Josiah Deguara from Cincinnati. 

56 minutes ago, stitches said:

Kmet looks real good in all drills. Catches seamlessly and naturally... good blocking... good time in 40s... he's a winner so far of the TE group. TE1.

Trautman and Albert O looked good catching the ball too... 

I'd be happy spending pick No.34 on him, given how much Frank's system loves TEs. He could be as good as Gronk as an all round TE with good catching abilities, who also went early Round 2. We will get far more out of him than most WRs we draft, IMO.

QBs about to run(not that it's important but...):

Kelly Bryant 4.69 ... 4.69

Kevin Davidson 5.05 ... 5.00(second attempt)

Jacob Eason 4.90 ... 4.90

Jake Fromm 5.01 ... 5.04

Justin Herbert 4.71 ... 4.69

Jelen Hurts 4.64 (the only player for whom it's important probably - about as quick as I expected @EastStreet) ... second attempt 4.59 

Brian Lewerke 4.99

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What is considered good for a QB? I hope Herbert tears it up lol.

Fromm and Eason are slow.

The reality is... it doesn't matter unless you are going to be building the offense around their running game... anything under 4.9 is alright... but QBs usually don't run 40 yards. Mahomes was 4.80 and he's one of the most mobile QBs in the league. 

Archived