Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

9 instant impact WRs outside of Rd1 (NFL.com)

As I doubt we take a WR with 13 or 34, here's some guys that could fit into our strategy later at 44, 75, or later. There will be several guys in the 3rd through 5th I think will be instant impact guys too, especially at X.

Brandon Aiyuk, Arizona State: The way this kid moves around the field is so impressive considering his size (6-foot, 201 pounds). He's an open-field nightmare who makes 60-, 70-, 80-yard catch-and-run plays look quick, and a short run feel like a microwave minute. Aiyuk's breakaway speed is really something to watch.

Antonio Gandy-Golden, Liberty: With Liberty being a stone's throw away from Charlotte, there are several things that come to mind at the mention of Gandy-Golden. The first being why didn't he play at a big-time school? Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Liberty. But this university is better known for its No. 1-ranked dining hall than its football program. Well, this young man is putting the Flames on the map. Fourth in receiving yards (1,396) in the FBS last season, he can outrun you, out-muscle you and make any defender wonder: Do I really want to cover this guy all all? Gandy-Golden has the IT factor and I think his stock can really climb at the combine depending on what he does with the ball in his hands.

K.J. Hamler, Penn State: He's an explosive jitterbug who brings a lot to the table -- chairs AND the meal. I know there will be teams that pass on him because he isn't the right size (5-9, 176 pounds), but they will realize just how foolish that decision was once he gets in the league. Hamler has a ton of upside and will be a troublemaker for NFL defensive coordinators. Don't let his stature sway you.

John Hightower, Boise State: The concern for some is that Hightower didn't regularly face big-time competition at Boise State. SO WHAT!? This kid can flat out play. The 6-1, 185-pound wideout has talent and a track background, and the combine will give him a great opportunity to showcase his skills in a high-pressure environment. Looking ahead to April's draft, he'll benefit most from a great receivers coach who can help him excel and get the most out of his gifts.

Tyler Johnson, Minnesota: The two-time All-Big Ten selection is coming off a monster season in which he set multiple school records. Johnson has quick feet, is a good route technician and will force defenders to be confident in their cover skills because he's not likely to give them any sort of break. He high-points the ball well and routinely makes the tough catches, so expect scouts to look for answers about his speed and quickness this week.

Van Jefferson, Florida: I believe he was the odd man out at Ole Miss, likely in the shadows of D.K. Metcalf and A.J. Brown. After transferring to Florida, the 6-3, 215-pound receiver led the Gators in receiving in consecutive seasons. His effectiveness is evident on film, as Jefferson just makes plays with every chance he gets. If he plays like that at the next level, the team that drafts him should be very happy with the results.

Denzel Mims, Baylor: The 6-3, 206-pound wideout is a big target who plays with a lot of physicality. It's hard to know what his game speed is because Mims often out-muscled his opponents in college. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the NFL is full of grown men who are just as strong if not stronger than Mims. Expect the young man's 40 to be under the microscope in Indy.

Michael Pittman Jr., USC: I'm not gonna lie to you, I'm not happy about the way Pittman handled a few Utah defensive backs this past season. As a former Ute and a strong supporter of Utah athletics, my fingers hurt typing this man's evaluation. In all seriousness, though, Pittman is a big target (6-3, 219 pounds) who a lot of teams covet. He's quick but must run a good 40 and three-cone drill to separate himself in this deep receiver class.

Jalen Reagor, TCU: The only question I have is: What can't he do? He boasts lightning speed with scoring potential from anywhere on the field. More impressive is his work ethic. Coaches will not have to teach Reagor that quality because it's clearly part of his DNA. Projected to be a Day 2 selection, Reagor will be an impact player for the team who drafts him.

If you want to read the preface or summary, 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102818/article/nine-instant-impact-receivers-who-wont-cost-a-firstround-pick?itm_source=parsely-api?icampaign=trendingNews

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Out of those I like Mims and Reagor the best. Aiyuk and Hamler are interesting too. 

I want to see how Gandy-Golden does at the combine drills. 

There are just so many good looking prospects this year, of all sizes and types. I wish we knew if Funch was going to be re-signed. That, along with what we do at QB are all huge impacts to WR draft strategy. 

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

There are just so many good looking prospects this year, of all sizes and types. I wish we knew if Funch was going to be re-signed. That, along with what we do at QB are all huge impacts to WR draft strategy. 

Yeah... that class is insane. I want us to draft 2 of them in this class. That's why I would probably be OK if we didn't go after a WR in FA. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah... that class is insane. I want us to draft 2 of them in this class. That's why I would probably be OK if we didn't go after a WR in FA. 

I was hoping for 2 as well to take advantage of the depth. I was hoping to take one in the 3rd or 4th, then one in the 5th or 6th. That extra 6th would have been nice this year taking a shot at a project. IMO, there will a few really nice project WRs left in the 6th and 7th. Some, not so much "project". 

• Like 1

Yeah I’ve been on the Mims bandwagon for awhile now. And there aren’t any speed concerns. Won the state 200-meter as a junior in high school. He’s gotta round out his route running but aside from that I think he’s ready to play day one.

I like Pittman too. I think he’s what they wanted when they signed Funchess. Big slot receiver.

• Like 1