Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
stitches

Greg Cosell on defensive players of the 2020 NFL draft

https://post.futurimedia.com/wgfx/playlist/23/listen-7982.html?cb=1582747112.828300

I won't transcribe everything like in other threads but will write some of the highlights here:

-talked a bit about RBs and some WRs to begin with... he likes Swift best from the RBs... likens him to Cook and Kamara. Loves both Ruggs(fast, explosive, nuanced route running) and Reagor(nuanced route running, explosive, played boundary X, can be slot, can be Z... impressive). Cam Akers - best vision in the class of RBs, not explosive, good feel and understanding of defensive fronts. 

- Chase Young - high level athleticism, very high level physical traits

- Javon Kinlaw - all the attributes are there on tape - size, length, quickness and movement, yet he was not a consistently dominant inside player. He's got complete skillset to be 1 gap player or 2 gap player. He's not Aaron Donald, bu can he be like Chris Jones type of player? 

- Derrick Brown - more consistent than Kinlaw, really good traits, but the thing he probably does least is rush the QB and how valuable is that in today's NFL? If you are not going to be a huge factor in a sub front, then are you truly a top 5 pick in an NFL draft? Can line up in multiple spots... probably will be best if you had a legitimate pass-rusher type next to him, though... 

- He thinks Jeffery Simmons from last year's draft is better prospect than both Kinlaw and Brown. 

Isaiah Simmons - he thinks he will be better as a safety than LB in base defense. Tremendous athlete... it's obvious. At his best as a space and movement player. Will play multiple spots in sub defense. 

- Jeffrey Okudah - best CB in this draft... can do everything... so much fun to watch... both smooth and explosive at the same time. Can play press man... mirroring. 

Trevon Diggs - he loves him, long, athletic, physical, fluid, competitive, great on ball production. Not quite Okudah level, but really really good. 

Grant Delpit - long and tall, athletic... versatile, lines up in multiple positions... lined up against TEs and even WRs... the traits are there

- Xavier McKinney - multidimensional player - similar to Chauncey Gardner Johnson 

- not good/deep draft for edge rushers after Chase Young... 

- loves K'Lavon Chaisson - he will go top 15-20, young now, might take time to develop... 

- Terrell Lewis - fascinating player, only 26 games in 4 years because of injuries. Interesting body type - high cut, long legged, doesn't have the build you normally associate with an edge player, because that build doesn't lend itself to great bend and lean... but he has shown excellent pass-rush ability and some moves(great inside spin move)... 

Biggest takeaways concerning players Colts might want to draft - Brown might be a bit overrated according to him. 

• Like 1

I would definitely take Derrick Brown over Jeffery Simmons. Might even go Kinlaw over him as well.

I live in Nashville and while Simmons is surely a strong stout DT, he seems to lack some explosiveness. Both Brown and Kinlaw have a good amount of that. I've heard Kinlaw's first step is elite for a DT. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I would definitely take Derrick Brown over Jeffery Simmons. Might even go Kinlaw over him as well.

I live in Nashville and while Simmons is surely a strong stout DT, he seems to lack some explosiveness. Both Brown and Kinlaw have a good amount of that. I've heard Kinlaw's first step is elite for a DT. 

I have to disagree with this one ... Simmons is super explosive. I wanted him for us last year... I wonder if we would have traded back if he had lasted until our pick. There were rumors the Colts loved him... 

42 minutes ago, stitches said:

I have to disagree with this one ... Simmons is super explosive. I wanted him for us last year... I wonder if we would have traded back if he had lasted until our pick. There were rumors the Colts loved him... 

Simmons didn't impress me all that much last year. College wise, I like both Brown and Kinlaw more to be honest. If there's anyone that I wanted last year on the DL, it would have been Sweat at our original slot. Had a very nice year with like 7 or 8 sacks IIRC.

Last year we didn't get the IDL we wanted and traded back after a quick run in the first round.  This year also expect both Brown and Kinlaw to be gone by pick 13.  Was high on Gallimore  as next best option but he weighed in much shorter than preferred and see him dropping. 

Wouldn't surprise me to see us draft Justin Madubuike from Texas A&M who is versatile and can play either 3T or 5T and had one of the best combine check-in stats next to Kinlaw.  Guess it will all boil down to how well each player does at the Combine testing on whom we select in the first round.  

Well if Brown somehow falls in their lap, I think the Colts pick him. This is the first real knock on him that I've read. 

7 hours ago, stitches said:

Colts were picking at about 25 last year and traded back into the early 2nd from there. Simmons went 19 overall I believe so we would have had to trade up to get him. If Ballard truly loved him that much he would have moved up 7 spots to get him. 

And I'm just going off of what I've watched from him since I can easily watch Titans games. Yes he is super strong and stout. But when it comes to quickness and speed for a DT, he doesn't have what Kinlaw or Brown does. I saw a highlight of Brown out in coverage for a play and he made the tackle. I've never seen Simmons have that kind of speed for a big guy.

I still believe Big Q will get the better of Simmons on most occasions in our yearly battles with the Titans. 

4 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Last year we didn't get the IDL we wanted and traded back after a quick run in the first round.  This year also expect both Brown and Kinlaw to be gone by pick 13.  Was high on Gallimore  as next best option but he weighed in much shorter than preferred and see him dropping. 

Wouldn't surprise me to see us draft Justin Madubuike from Texas A&M who is versatile and can play either 3T or 5T and had one of the best combine check-in stats next to Kinlaw.  Guess it will all boil down to how well each player does at the Combine testing on whom we select in the first round.  

I'm not sure that Gallimore's measurements will hurt him. I still like him and his skill set for us.

I really like Justin Madubuike as well and have mocked him to us a few times. He can line up just about anywhere on the line and the dude is explosive. I'm curious to see how he tests.

• Like 1

I didn't know where to post this, and wasn't sure it deserves its own thread so this is where Cam Akers is last mentioned so... 

55 minutes ago, stitches said:

I didn't know where to post this, and wasn't sure it deserves its own thread so this is where Cam Akers is last mentioned so... 

Akers been on my watch list for a while now.  Productive college kid that broke a lot of tackles.  Dual threat RB/WR figured would go in R4-5.  Another similar RB wouldn’t mind Colts exploring is Lamical Perine from Florida.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

We need to do a player interest thread that can be pinned by the moderators??

@Nadine  @stitches

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We need to do a player interest thread that can be pinned by the moderators??

@Nadine  @stitches

I used to do that thread in previous years, but at the end of the day I didn't feel like it was worth the effort because teams meet with most prospects at every event so it's not very meaningful. You have to pretty much only filter the ones where there is a limit on the number of prospects you can meet. For example, official meetings at the combine are limited to 45 per team. There are also 30 official visits, but we don't really hear about them unless the player himself shares something on social media. 

Akers is one of those 45 meetings with the Colts it seems. 

• Like 1