Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
stitches

Chris Ballard on "Move the Sticks" podcast

It is good to gave those game-breaker WRs, but they are of little use if the QB cannot get the ball to them consistently on deep and intermediate routes.

JB just can't do it...even Kelly can do it far better than Brissett.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

It is good to gave those game-breaker WRs, but they are of little use if the QB cannot get the ball to them consistently on deep and intermediate routes.

We have no idea if Kelly can do it better than Brissett, let alone 'far better.'  Not saying Jacoby's the long-term answer by any means... but nobody has any clue if a guy who has spent his entire NFL career being cut for off-field issues or on practice squads is 'far better' than a guy who helped us get off to a 5-2 start last year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

We have no idea if Kelly can do it better than Brissett, let alone 'far better.'  Not saying Jacoby's the long-term answer by any means... but nobody has any clue if a guy who has spent his entire NFL career being cut for off-field issues or on practice squads is 'far better' than a guy who helped us get off to a 5-2 start last year.

Only Indicator there is their respective college resumes.... And while neither was jump off the page amazing, Kelly did get the ball down field and to playmakers more often than Brissett.  Kelly has done it more recently as well.  

JB is ok, but that's it.  And most of the time he's not even that.  He's not going to develop the areas he struggles in much more, if any, than they're at now.  He's been exposed to excellent coaching since his first day in the league.... He's been mentored by the likes of Bill Parcells, Bill Belechick, that OC in New England, Tom Brady, Andrew Luck, and Frank Reich for the last four plus years.  

He is what he is.... And no, the first half of the season he was nothing more than average.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Shafty138 said:

Only Indicator there is their respective college resumes.... And while neither was jump off the page amazing, Kelly did get the ball down field and to playmakers more often than Brissett.  Kelly has done it more recently as well.  

JB is ok, but that's it.  And most of the time he's not even that.  He's not going to develop the areas he struggles in much more, if any, than their at now.  He's been exposed to excellent coaching since his first day in the league.... He's been mentored by the likes of Bill Parcells, Bill Belechick, Tom Brady, Andrew Luck, and Frank Reich for the last four plus years.  

He is what he is.... And no, the first half of the season he was nothing more than average.

My point wasn't to say JB is a great QB.  My point was to say, until we see Kelly do it consistently in the NFL, we have no idea that he's an improvement to JB -- to say he's 'far better' at doing things at the NFL level is an impossible statement to make, as we've never seen him in a live regular season game.

• Like 1

That's a big get for the MTS guys. They're Ballard fans, I think some of them are from KC. I'll listen to this later today.

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking of Stick to Football, not MTS. Never mind my post.

Why does everyone immediately assume that Kelly is that answer? He was the 3rd string for a reason. Not sure why his name is brought up so often about a capable QB to replace JB. Coaches are going with the best option which clearly wasn’t him. I don’t get why so many are enamored with him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

Why does everyone immediately assume that Kelly is that answer? He was the 3rd string for a reason. Not sure why his name is brought up so often about a capable QB to replace JB. Coaches are going with the best option which clearly wasn’t him. I don’t get why so many are enamored with him. 

People hope he is the answer. And he was also 3rd string because of his lack of maturity not skill or talent. The Colts dont have anyone proven at QB. Why do the naysayers not want to give kelly a chance? It's like because many want to see what hes got it's annoying everyone else. As if there are 100s of options and we are stuck on Kelly. Not even close. There are 3 options on this team, and 2 of them are proven underwhelming. I for one would like to see how the 3rd one is. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

7 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

IMO people want the easy way out, they think it will be easy finding our next QB when in reality there is nothing easy about the position we find ourselves in in regards to QB. This is a recurring theme I've seen among Colts fans - the cheapest we can go at QB the better - from "Kelly is the answer" to "but 5-2 start shows we can win with Jacoby", to "why draft a QB in the first, when you can take a shot in round 3-4?" etc. It's a version of taking QB for granted. We've never had to worry about QB in the last 20+ years, so now it looks like people just think the 7th rounder, 4 years with no starts in the league Kelly will suddenly become the solution for our problems or that a wild shot late in the draft will turn out good for us. 

The reality is there is no easy solution for franchise QBs... overwhelming majority of franchise QBs require serious investment. Sure you can strike gold in the 3d but chances are not great overall. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stitches said:

The reality is there is no easy solution for franchise QBs... overwhelming majority of franchise QBs require serious investment. Sure you can strike gold in the 3d but chances are not great overall. 

Chances are good that you might miss in the first round too.  It's a tough thing to find a legitimate franchise QB.  Just look around the league and see all of the teams that have tried and failed multiple times. 

We could go years without getting a real franchise QB.  It happens.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Chances are good that you might miss in the first round too.  It's a tough thing to find a legitimate franchise QB.  Just look around the league and see all of the teams that have tried and failed multiple times. 

We could go years without getting a real franchise QB.  It happens.  

I know... that's why I said there is no easy solution. Chances are about 50-50 you hit/miss on a QB in the first. @EastStreet posts the exact stat every now and then that shows there is not much middle ground on drafted QBs in the 1st round - most are either hits(they make probowls, etc.) or they bust. 

The problem is that relying on Jacoby to turn into a franchise QB is much less than 50-50 proposition. Just like relying on CK to turn into a franchise QB is much less than 50-50... and same goes for QBs drafted past the second round. 

To summarize - no easy solution, you might miss even if you draft QB in the first. But you have no choice - you have to try, because the alternative is worse and the best chance to draft a franchise QB is drafting one high. 

• Like 1

"- Medicals is the most important part of the QB for GMs"

I dunno how this can be totally true. There's lot's of guys who can't play at Tua's level who are healthier and only Burrow is going to go higher and maybe he shouldn't.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

"- Medicals is the most important part of the QB for GMs"

I dunno how this can be totally true. There's lot's of guys who can't play at Tua's level who are healthier and only Burrow is going to go higher and maybe he shouldn't.

This is a mistake on my part - he said medicals is the most important part of the COMBINE, not the QB... sorry... I saw it yesterday, but my time for edits had passed. 

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is a mistake on my part - he said medicals is the most important part of the COMBINE, not the QB... sorry... I saw it yesterday, but my time for edits had passed. 

thanks for the clarification

17 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

And you know this based on?????

17 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

People hope he is the answer. And he was also 3rd string because of his lack of maturity not skill or talent. The Colts dont have anyone proven at QB. Why do the naysayers not want to give kelly a chance? It's like because many want to see what hes got it's annoying everyone else. As if there are 100s of options and we are stuck on Kelly. Not even close. There are 3 options on this team, and 2 of them are proven underwhelming. I for one would like to see how the 3rd one is. 

So Reich didn’t play him when JB was hurt because he wasn’t mature enough? No it’s because he was the backup. The fans will get there wish to see Kelly in Pre-season and that’s about it. If he does well (and I hope he does) then maybe he becomes the 2nd string but I assure you he is not your franchise or starter next year. 

11 hours ago, stitches said:

IMO people want the easy way out, they think it will be easy finding our next QB when in reality there is nothing easy about the position we find ourselves in in regards to QB. This is a recurring theme I've seen among Colts fans - the cheapest we can go at QB the better - from "Kelly is the answer" to "but 5-2 start shows we can win with Jacoby", to "why draft a QB in the first, when you can take a shot in round 3-4?" etc. It's a version of taking QB for granted. We've never had to worry about QB in the last 20+ years, so now it looks like people just think the 7th rounder, 4 years with no starts in the league Kelly will suddenly become the solution for our problems or that a wild shot late in the draft will turn out good for us. 

I think you are correct but would add that "desperation" plays a role.  

I also think people were impressed with his college play.  Especially the year he beat Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, Miss State and Oklahoma State.   I do wonder where he would have gone in the draft without his off the field issues and being banned from the combine.

His strengths were pretty good coming into the draft.

Strengths:

Powerful arm

Will fit passes into tight windows

Pocket presence

Flashes field vision

Ball placement

Can make all the throws required

Throws a catchable ball

Can pick up yards on the ground

Mobility

Can hurt defenses on the ground

Athletic upside

I did want to see him play in the last game last season.   However, I am not gonna say he should be the starter.  A fair shake in training camp, yes, but he hasn't proven anything in the NFL to be a starter.   It's good he hasn't been caught doing anything stupid yet, but we'll see come preseason.  

• Like 1

It's interesting what he says about how important the O and D lines are.   I hope he proves it by either signing a stud FA D-lineman or drafting Kinlaw.    The D-line was a major weakness last season.   

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

So Reich didn’t play him when JB was hurt because he wasn’t mature enough? No it’s because he was the backup. The fans will get there wish to see Kelly in Pre-season and that’s about it. If he does well (and I hope he does) then maybe he becomes the 2nd string but I assure you he is not your franchise or starter next year. 

I dont think he is going to be starting any time soon, if at all. But Ballard has made it clear that he has to prove himself trustworthy off the field before any significant playing time is permitted. The Colts arent going to just give you the starting job on talent alone, and they have made it abundantly clear that character matters to them above everything else. 

On 2/26/2020 at 4:41 PM, CurBeatElite said:

I bet my manhood on it that Kelley can do it better than Jacoby on the field any day all day.

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I bet my manhood on it that Kelley can do it better than Jacoby on the field any day all day.

If I had to bet, I'd bet that the only way Kelly ever sees the field as a Colt is if someone gets injured and we need a 3rd stringer/PS guy to bail us out.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stitches said:

I know... that's why I said there is no easy solution. Chances are about 50-50 you hit/miss on a QB in the first. @EastStreet posts the exact stat every now and then that shows there is not much middle ground on drafted QBs in the 1st round - most are either hits(they make probowls, etc.) or they bust. 

The problem is that relying on Jacoby to turn into a franchise QB is much less than 50-50 proposition. Just like relying on CK to turn into a franchise QB is much less than 50-50... and same goes for QBs drafted past the second round. 

To summarize - no easy solution, you might miss even if you draft QB in the first. But you have no choice - you have to try, because the alternative is worse and the best chance to draft a franchise QB is drafting one high. 

Yup. It's all a gamble. Ballard's tasked with studying, and figuring out the best bet. But, you simply have to lay your money down somewhere. You can spend more (early round), or less (long shot, but potentially bigger payoff), but you're still making a bet. Same in FA or with existing personnel. Personally, I think Carr is the "safest" bet. I also like the odds on a River/Love combo. I think the odds are low (sub 30%) that JB improves enough to be able to carry a team into and through the playoffs. CK slightly higher but still low due to the history of flags.

16 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

If I had to bet, I'd bet that the only way Kelly ever sees the field as a Colt is if someone gets injured and we need a 3rd stringer/PS guy to bail us out.  

If I had to bet, I'd say you were right. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

19 hours ago, Myles said:

It's interesting what he says about how important the O and D lines are.   I hope he proves it by either signing a stud FA D-lineman or drafting Kinlaw.    The D-line was a major weakness last season.   

I’d rather draft a tackle at 13 to develop under Castonzo for two years and spend the money on the D-line in FA than draft Defensive line and continue kicking the LT can down the road. That’s assuming we don’t draft a qb early, which is my impression at this point. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lincolndefan said:

Based on a player who is behind another and remained a backup when JB was hurt. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 2:41 PM, CurBeatElite said:

I'll be so happy when I never have to hear Chad Kelly's name again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/26/2020 at 6:13 PM, NannyMcafee said:

Last year Kelly got cut by the Colts, cleared waivers, & then ended up back with the Colts on the practice squad. That sort of thing doesn't just happen with good QBs in a QB driven NFL.

• Like 3

Will Carrol was just On a local radio show. He thinks Colts will stay with JB this year. Better QB draft class next year. No Rivers.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Last year Kelly got cut by the Colts, cleared waivers, & then ended up back with the Colts on the practice squad. That sort of thing doesn't just happen with good QBs in a QB driven NFL.

Get outta here with that logic....

:D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He was also one of the highest paid PS guys in the league, and was later re-signed to active roster in Nov.... This filling in the rest lol

Not saying he's going to amount to anything, but things do happen to capable QBs due to off field issues, even in a QB driven NFL.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to him this year. Especially if we draft a guy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Well, according to most on this forum, all 32 teams have made a huge mistake:)

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

You're ignoring how many times he got into trouble on other teams. Both Frank and Chris has stated this team is his last chance. The narrow sightedness of the anti Kelly camp is a bit uncalled for. I dont want to see Kelly as the franchise QB. I want to see how good he actually is. If he wasnt any good he wouldnt be on the team at all. Give me an actual reason we shouldn't see how good he is beyond because "if he was good he wouldnt have passed waivers". Why is he even on this team? If hes not good? Why? 

20 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Based on a player who is behind another and remained a backup when JB was hurt. 

Sir! With all do respect! I believe your misreading the tea leaves. You and the others dislike for Kelly is asinine. You pick and choose what you want to listen to and disregard the things that doesn't suit your taste. I believe you and others are going to be very disappointed. I believe Kelly is in the Colts future plans as long as he stays out of trouble and works hard and proves he belongs. If he doesn't then i believe he will be gone. The kid has some upside which can't be denied. Maybe you and the others need to learn how to forgive and accept. Kelly could become very good for this team. However, you and others want to disregard Kelly and never give the kid a chance! Pitiful!!! Very pitiful!!!

On 2/27/2020 at 2:54 PM, Myles said:

I think he signs a bigger name FA on the DL and draft a stud DL within the 1st two picks. Then both lines look great.

23 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Will Carrol was just On a local radio show. He thinks Colts will stay with JB this year. Better QB draft class next year. No Rivers.

Man the board will blow up if Love is there at #13 and the Colts pass.  I do believe thats what the Colts will so.  2 DT's and a wr with their 1st 3 picks.  That is my prediction

31 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Man the board will blow up if Love is there at #13 and the Colts pass.  I do believe thats what the Colts will so.  2 DT's and a wr with their 1st 3 picks.  That is my prediction

If he is there at 13 then lots of teams passed on him including teams drafting after us because they didn’t try to jump in front of us. 

2020 is a critical yr for Chris Ballard & I’m growing tired of hearing him talk.  This team needs an actual NFL QB, a true #1 WR and a stud DT just for starters.  I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt due to Luck retiring but this is a critical yr for him to give this fanbase a vote of confidence.  3 top picks in this draft plus $80+ MIL avail in FA.  The assets are there to compete for a SB THIS yr but does Ballard have the guts to make it happen?  HINT:  JB is not the answer and can demolish the 2020 season just FYI Ballard.