Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers rumors heating up again

I just haven't had anyone answer this directly yet, AND MAKE SENSE, so here goes.

Explain to me how having Rivers as a 1-2 year stop gap any different or virtually better than using Kelly as the stop gap to ultimately see if he could become our franchise QB.

If you sign Rivers for 2 years and he and this team makes the playoffs but doesn't go deep in the playoffs then you have wasted money on Rivers. If it really fails, Rivers will be gone in 2021. 

If you let Kelly play for 2020 and this team makes the playoffs but doesn't go deep in the playoffs then you have at least witnessed the potential of Kelly moving forward for many years as our QB. If it really fails, Kelly will be gone in 2021.

** I left out drafting a QB, as that scenario is the same as the Kelly scenario with exception of the rookie being gone in 2021, from above as I view a rookie and Kelly virtually having the same amount of playing time HERE in INDY. Based on playing time experience as a Colt ONLY, Kelly and a rookie would be both considered rookies from a PLAYING TIME standpoint only. So forget the rookie scenario and concentrate on Rivers vs. Kelly

Do you see why Rivers vs. Kelly is basically the same scenario?

I started a thread earlier that asked the question about the Colts winning the SB under it's current state. A good number said no. If that is the case then why bring Rivers here? In my mind, based on his age, and experience, bringing Rivers here is like the Broncos having Manning for 2 years. The Broncos did that to win a SB and ultimately did. What's different about that situation and the one here in Indy is that the Broncos were ready to win a SB and it was evident as the rest of the team helped aid Manning when he was declining. That is not what is going to happen here if Rivers comes. This team is not strong enough in every facet and Rivers is NO Manning.

So again, Why sign Rivers if you can't win a SB now? Explain to me how signing Rivers is better then letting Kelly play if the scenario outcomes are identical either way with each player in regards to how it would play out this 2020/21 season.

To me, Rivers is nothing more than a waste of money/money dump, if the SB CAN'T BE WON in 2020. **

Explain to me why this ** wouldn't be the case? Because right now, I'm shocked at a good number of you who are okay with having Rivers.

Oh and don't use Rivers as a mentor nonsense. As based on Ballard's approach to coaching he has always believed that "Coaches Coach" so they can mentor and teach a young QB(rookie). Not buying the Rivers Mentor junk.

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

I just haven't had anyone answer this directly yet, AND MAKE SENSE, so here goes.

Explain to me how having Rivers as a 1-2 year stop gap any different or virtually better than using Kelly as the stop gap to ultimately see if he could become our franchise QB.

If you sign Rivers for 2 years and he and this team makes the playoffs but doesn't go deep in the playoffs then you have wasted money on Rivers. If it really fails, Rivers will be gone in 2021. 

If you let Kelly play for 2020 and this team makes the playoffs but doesn't go deep in the playoffs then you have at least witnessed the potential of Kelly moving forward for many years as our QB. If it really fails, Kelly will be gone in 2021.

** I left out drafting a QB, as that scenario is the same as the Kelly scenario with exception of the rookie being gone in 2021, from above as I view a rookie and Kelly virtually having the same amount of playing time HERE in INDY. Based on playing time experience as a Colt ONLY, Kelly and a rookie would be both considered rookies from a PLAYING TIME standpoint only. So forget the rookie scenario and concentrate on Rivers vs. Kelly

I started a thread earlier that asked the question about the Colts winning the SB under it's current state. A good number said no. If that is the case then why bring Rivers here? In my mind, based on his age, and experience, bringing Rivers here is like the Broncos having Manning for 2 years. The Broncos did that to win a SB and ultimately did. What's different about that situation and the one here in Indy is that the Broncos were ready to win a SB and it was evident as the rest of the team helped aid Manning when he was declining. That is not what is going to happen here if Rivers comes. This team is not strong enough in every facet and Rivers is NO Manning.

So again, Why sign Rivers if you can't win a SB now? Explain to me how signing Rivers is better then letting Kelly play if the scenario outcomes are identical either way with each player in regards to how it would play out this 2020/21 season.

To me, Rivers is nothing more than a waste of money/money dump, if the SB CAN'T BE WON in 2020. **

Explain to me why this ** wouldn't be the case? Because right now, I'm shocked at a good number of you who are okay with having Rivers.

Oh and don't use Rivers as a mentor nonsense. As based on Ballard's approach to coaching he has always believed that "Coaches Coach" so they can mentor and teach a young QB(rookie). Not buying the Rivers Mentor junk.

Couple of issues I have with what you're saying.

1. Rivers puts this team into contention:

You're saying that if the Colts, don't win a Super Bowl with Rivers that it's a waste of money. This is the wrong way to think about it. Rivers will likely only command the type of salary gets for 1-2 years. Thus, there are no long-term ramifications associated with his salary. Putting the Colts into contention now and the long-term is what Ballard and co. are likely thinking and this allows for that to happen. And as we see in the league, if you make it to the playoffs, you have a chance to go far.

Additionally, the Colts won 7 games with Jacoby last year and could easily have won 10 had some overt kicking issues not come into play. The Broncos before they got Peyton Manning were an 8-8 team. This Colts team has many qualities that lead me to believe they aren't that far away:

-Great offensive line

-Solid running game

-Young, defensive core that should grow

-Possible free agent acquisitions (Ballard himself said that the locker room is ready for a big-time free agent)

-Draft acquisitions (For instance, the draft is loaded with talented WR's who could come in and have an immediate impact)

2. The Rivers mentor issue:

Irregardless if Rivers operates as "true" mentor to whoever the QB below him is, the QB will still learn in an invaluable way. He can learn by just watching Rivers, being in meetings, practicing etc. Sure, the ideal situation is an Alex Smith-Patrick Mahomes type of relationship but even if its not, there's nothing to say that the QB wouldn't still gain valuable knowledge just by observing for a season or two.

14 minutes ago, Restored said:

Irregardless if Rivers operates as "true" mentor to whoever the QB below him is, the QB will still learn in an invaluable way. He can learn by just watching Rivers, being in meetings, practicing etc. Sure, the ideal situation is an Alex Smith-Patrick Mahomes type of relationship but even if its not, there's nothing to say that the QB wouldn't still gain valuable knowledge just by observing for a season or two.

One issue I have with what you're saying.   "Irregardless" is not a word.  ;)  Just needling you....  I agree with everything you posted, regardless of vocabulary murder.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Restored said:

1. Rivers puts this team into contention:

You're saying that if the Colts, don't win a Super Bowl with Rivers that it's a waste of money. This is the wrong way to think about it. Rivers will likely only command the type of salary gets for 1-2 years. Thus, there are no long-term ramifications associated with his salary. Putting the Colts into contention now and the long-term is what Ballard and co. are likely thinking and this allows for that to happen. And as we see in the league, if you make it to the playoffs, you have a chance to go far.

Additionally, the Colts won 7 games with Jacoby last year and could easily have won 10 had some overt kicking issues not come into play. The Broncos before they got Peyton Manning were an 8-8 team. This Colts team has many qualities that lead me to believe they aren't that far away:

-Great offensive line

-Solid running game

-Young, defensive core that should grow

-Possible free agent acquisitions (Ballard himself said that the locker room is ready for a big-time free agent)

-Draft acquisitions (For instance, the draft is loaded with talented WR's who could come in and have an immediate impact)

2. The Rivers mentor issue:

My friend, Rivers is 38, not 30. Contention means nothing in this case as if we win a couple more games as you suggested with JB that puts us in contention. I.e. Making playoffs. That's my point, no need to spend on a 38 yrs. Old QB for 1-2 years just to get us in contention. 

Ok, I'm new here to the forum. About Rivers. All I can see in my head is how his first few NFL seasons was his constant TAUNTING of the other teams bench. Or how the Chargers kept telling everybody Rivers was a much better quarterback the Brees. And we all know that was never true. While I do agree that Rivers is a better QB the Brissett - He is NOT the answer for Indy.  I can't help to think that Mariota or Winston would be a much better fit. And let's not forget that in Football life Rivers is on the downside

Anyway That's just my Opinion

Doc

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Indeee said:

If you pre-decide to start Kelly as an experiment, like before training camp, what do you plan to do with JB?

I'm not on the Rivers train BTW.

51 minutes ago, Indeee said:

My friend, Rivers is 38, not 30. Contention means nothing in this case as if we win a couple more games as you suggested with JB that puts us in contention. I.e. Making playoffs. That's my point, no need to spend on a 38 yrs. Old QB for 1-2 years just to get us in contention. 

You're missing the point. Rivers on this team immediately makes them a contender. Winning the SB is very hard but I wouldn't discount the Colts odds if they do indeed get Rivers. This is all without considering what could be added in free agency, the draft and younger players becoming better.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If you pre-decide to start Kelly as an experiment, like before training camp, what do you plan to do with JB?

I'm not on the Rivers train BTW.

I honestly think in this situation,  Kelly is not pre-decide starter, JB is starter who eventually is replaced by Kelly. If its pre-decided the CK starts, you keep Hoyer and release JB or try to trade JB

14 hours ago, Hoose said:

For the record Rivers moved to the Fla. Panhandle not Tampa. That’s a 5-6 hr drive. 

Its interesting that people on this Board are so willing to ignore the down year Rivers had in 2019. He showed all the signs of an aging athlete in serious decline. He had a stretch of 2 games where he had 7 official Interceptions and two more that got called back because of unrelated penalties. That’s AWFUL!

To me he looks to be a shadow of his former self and a bad option for the Colts. I hope the Colts take a different path here. 

Rivers did have a horrbible amount of Int's on a bad team.  But hold on the year prior he had 32 TD's and 12 picks (12 picks is not league leading ball security but it's solid)

The other thing to remember is that Rivers has had bad seasons before and bounced back.  2016 he threw 21 interceptions.  Bounced back the next year and threw 10.

18 picks in 2014, bounced back and cut it to 13 in 2015.  

20 picks in 2011, 15 in 2012 then in 2013 cut it down to 11.

His yards per attempt have rarely been south of 7 yards.  His 2019 average was 7.8 and that is also his career average.

He gives us more offense than Brissett by far.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Indeee said:

I honestly think in this situation,  Kelly is not pre-decide starter, JB is starter who eventually is replaced by Kelly. If its pre-decided the CK starts, you keep Hoyer and release JB or try to trade JB

OK.  Yeah, if Kelly beats out JB then he starts.  There would be no open competition if we signed Rivers.  We signed him to start.  So I was thinking that if you're saying we simply replaced Rivers with CK, we would have had to already decide that CKs starting and there would be no open competition.

NVM.

49 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Signing a stationary 38 year old QB is crazy and shows nothing but despiration. It gets us nowhere. Better to draft a rookie and let him play.

A rookie can learn under Rivers.  

JB won 7 games with this team and had us in several others.  This is a good team but we are QB limited.

Last season JB threw for 6.6 yards per attempt.  Rivers threw for 7.8

JB averaged 196.1 yards per game  Rivers averaged 288.4

Sure Rivers threw a lot of picks and JB didn't.  You know who else threw for a lot of picks . . . Andrew Luck. 

It's easy to avoid picks if you just play it super safe with the ball and stick to the underneath stuff.  Problem is that it's very difficult to score that way.  The reason that it's difficult to score that way is because of mistakes.   If you start at the 25 and average 5 yards per play marching down the field it takes 15 plays to get there.  Any time in those 15 plays you could have a penalty, a sack, or other mistake that sets you back and puts you in a hole you can't dig out of .  If constantly gain 5 yards every play but get a holding penalty on 2nd and 5 you are set back to 2nd and 15 and you can't dig yourself out.  

Those long marching drives are great if you can pull them off but they are tough to pull off because of mistakes. All 11 guys have to play 15 straight plays of flawless football.  

You need a QB who's willing and capable of taking some shots.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whoever our QB is in 2020, we should be better with the FA signings and draft picks we make this time around.  Building on a 7-9 team that had a rash of injuries to the WR position and a defense that played poorly, as well as those kicking issues we had last season.

Shore up the defense with the draft and FA.

New kicker.

Healthy WR corps all adds up to improved record, IMO

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Whoever our QB is in 2020, we should be better with the FA signings and draft picks we make this time around.  Building on a 7-9 team that had a rash of injuries to the WR position and a defense that played poorly, as well as those kicking issues we had last season.

New kicker.

I think adding a QB like Rivers early in FA will help us recruit a few more players who want to go to a SB contender.  

4 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

New kicker.

True but I feel like if we stick with the game manager type like JB we hamstring ourselves a bit.  Best skill position player on the field is TY Hilton who is a burner that can run some decent mid range routes as well.  You can't use TY to anything close to his full potential if your QB only wants to throw underneath.  

TY goes from a pro-bowl receiver to looking like a borderline WR2/WR3.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Rumor is Reich talked to Rivers at the combine. Then there is this. Lol

Why would Rivers be at the combine???

I'm hoping for this but talking at the combine doesn't make a lot of sense because there is no reason for Rivers to be there.  

On 2/26/2020 at 9:08 PM, Hoose said:

For the record Rivers moved to the Fla. Panhandle not Tampa. That’s a 5-6 hr drive. 

Its interesting that people on this Board are so willing to ignore the down year Rivers had in 2019. He showed all the signs of an aging athlete in serious decline. He had a stretch of 2 games where he had 7 official Interceptions and two more that got called back because of unrelated penalties. That’s AWFUL!

To me he looks to be a shadow of his former self and a bad option for the Colts. I hope the Colts take a different path here. 

He's been one of if not the most pressured QB in almost all of football the last 2 years I do believe. They had no O Line and no running game. Even Peyton threw more picks when we had that type of situation.  I think he'd be just fine as long as we don't put everything on his shoulders.  Same way New Orleans extended Drew Brees career a little bit by running the football more and relieving some of the workload.   Our team has the pieces to do that.  I think he fits just fine as a 1 or 2 year stop gap while grooming a draft pick or CK maybe.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 10:37 AM, Doc said:

Ok, I'm new here to the forum. About Rivers. All I can see in my head is how his first few NFL seasons was his constant TAUNTING of the other teams bench. Or how the Chargers kept telling everybody Rivers was a much better quarterback the Brees. And we all know that was never true. While I do agree that Rivers is a better QB the Brissett - He is NOT the answer for Indy.  I can't help to think that Mariota or Winston would be a much better fit. And let's not forget that in Football life Rivers is on the downside

Anyway That's just my Opinion

Doc

Agreed 

Did you ever see P Manning or Luck taunt an opposing teams bench?

I have seen Rivers do it to us a few times.....

Rivers is a jerk that is sliding in talent and Father Time is knocking at his door

He is marginally better than JB, at this stage of his career......not 5 years ag.... better than JB still...... but is that 10% better, going to be 5% this year?

I just don’t see the value of a guy taking snaps away from a development QB

I would rather us lose some games as we build for future

At some point we will be trotting a young guy on the field that’s not quite ready.....   we will lose games......

Do you want this time now, or later?

This check HAS to be paid....

I think we have to bring in a QB in the draft, or a younger Vet (like Carr)

3 hours ago, krunk said:

He's been one of if not the most pressured QB in almost all of football the last 2 years I do believe. They had no O Line and no running game. Even Peyton threw more picks when we had that type of situation.  I think he'd be just fine as long as we don't put everything on his shoulders.  Same way New Orleans extended Drew Brees career a little bit by running the football more and relieving some of the workload.   Our team has the pieces to do that.  I think he fits just fine as a 1 or 2 year stop gap while grooming a draft pick or CK maybe.

I understand what you're saying. But it feels like a step backward. I watched Rivers' bad 4 interception that should have been 5 game ( one eliminated by a questionable offside call ). The interceptions were truly poor throws. He was noodle arming the throws ( yes, I know he has a strange throwing motion); he was throwing consistently short of his receivers; he was throwing into double coverage; and none of this was necessary as the team was still very much in contention until his meltdown. He threw 3 interceptions the next game.

Rivers is not the same QB; he has regressed, is a statue in the backfield, and is not going to move the needle much for this team. If the Colts are determined to bring in a veteran QB as a bridge, there have to be other, better stopgap options. JMO. 

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

I understand what you're saying. But it feels like a step backward. I watched Rivers' bad 4 interception that should have been 5 game ( one eliminated by a questionable offside call ). The interceptions were truly poor throws. He was noodle arming the throws ( yes, I know he has a strange throwing motion); he was throwing consistently short of his receivers; he was throwing into double coverage; and none of this was necessary as the team was still very much in contention until his meltdown. He threw 3 interceptions the next game.

Rivers is not the same QB; he has regressed, is a statue in the backfield, and is not going to move the needle much for this team. If the Colts are determined to bring in a veteran QB as a bridge, there have to be other, better stopgap options. JMO. 

He didnt look like he regressed when he was carving up our defense and dissecting almost every blitz we threw at him. I wont be mad if we get Carr but id sit just fine if we got Rivers. I think Rivers could consistently beat these AFC South teams enough to get us in the playoffs. Heck Brissett gave them a battle for petes sake.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

He didnt look like he regressed when he was carving up our defense and dissecting almost every blitz we threw at him. I wont be mad if we get Carr but id sit just fine if we got Rivers. I think Rivers could consistently beat these AFC South teams enough to get us in the playoffs. Heck Brissett gave them a battle for petes sake.

Rivers was running for his life a lot this year. His 2 OTs combined for the 2nd most pressures in the league. While he did throw too many picks this year, he had nice game vs Jax late in the year. Talk about carving lol. Then Jax carved us up a few weeks later.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, krunk said:

Well, I hope they avoid him but if the Colts take the plunge, lets just cross the fingers that they follow it up by grabbing their future QB in this year's draft. 

On 2/29/2020 at 11:29 AM, EastStreet said:

Rivers was running for his life a lot this year. His 2 OTs combined for the 2nd most pressures in the league. While he did throw too many picks this year, he had nice game vs Jax late in the year. Talk about carving lol. Then Jax carved us up a few weeks later.

I agree! He carved us up as well.  I attribute a lot of those picks to him running for his life trying to make things happen.  He had that situation and for a lot of the season they didn't even have a running game.  They basically just had him and he was forced to play hero ball.  He's only what 1 season removed from leading one of the top offenses in football.  He doesn't usually have back to back poor seasons.  He's still got a really good skillset and I think he'd keep us more than competitive for the 1 or 2 years that he'd be here.  Whoever we draft I dont believe will be immediately ready to take us to the playoffs or anything significant.  Might as well let them sit behind a vet like Rivers and learn for a small period of time. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I agree! He carved us up as well.  I attribute a lot of those picks to him running for his life trying to make things happen.  He had that situation and for a lot of the season they didn't even have a running game.  They basically just had him and he was forced to play hero ball.  He's only what 1 season removed from leading one of the top offenses in football.  He doesn't usually have back to back poor seasons.  He's still got a really good skillset and I think he'd keep us more than competitive for the 1 or 2 years that he'd be here.  Whoever we draft I dont believe will be immediately ready to take us to the playoffs or anything significant.  Might as well let them sit behind a vet like Rivers and learn for a small period of time. 

I think he was close to 30 and 10 in 2018. His OL has been bad since 2015ish, but really bad last year. What I like about Rivers is the chip he'd come in with. Not saying he's going to be perfect, but I'm sure he'd love to go out on a positive note behind a great OL. He's a good guy too, and simply a good overall fit for our situation.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I think he was close to 30 and 10 in 2018. His OL has been bad since 2015ish, but really bad last year. What I like about Rivers is the chip he'd come in with. Not saying he's going to be perfect, but I'm sure he'd love to go out on a positive note behind a great OL. He's a good guy too, and simply a good overall fit for our situation.

He really wouldn't have much QB competition in this division either.  There's only Deshaun Watson.  Every other team in the division has a subpar QB.  I think this division would give him a solid chance to get us to the playoffs.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, krunk said:

He really wouldn't have much QB competition in this division either.  There's only Deshaun Watson.  Every other team in the division has a subpar QB.  I think this division would give him a solid chance to get us to the playoffs.

I definitely think we'd be back in the playoffs easy with him, and potentially able to go on a deep run. We could be a playoff team with JB, just not progress.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

This may sound dumb but was it his bad oline or is it him just getting older and statue QB just not having as much success.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This may sound dumb but was it his bad oline or is it him just getting older and statue QB just not having as much success.

His OL stunk to high heavens. His two OTs combined for the second highest pressures in the league. They've been bad for the last 5 or so years, but really really bad last year. 

• Like 1