Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers rumors heating up again

I'd say Rivers signing here is probably up to 50/50 now.  Trending towards 100 as well, unless something changes.  

It makes too much sense for both sides.  Indy gets a new QB who is familiar with the system and can groom a young guy or Kelly, for a year or two.... And should be an enormous improvement on JB, I don't care how you look at it.... Just wait if Brissett is cut and see how much interest there is in him... (Hint, not much.... Dude was traded for a WR when he was 3 years younger and the shine of potential hadn't yet tarnished)

For Rivers, he gets a great O line, and probably a really good TE duo after the off-season, and an upgraded WR group is likely as well.... He already knows the scheme and his HC and OC to be..... It just makes too much sense not to happen at this point....

Which is why it's still likely not to.... The NFL is crazy.

As an aside .... I'm sure it doesn't exactly work this way, but Castonzo coming back makes me think they may have led him to believe there will be some big changes being made at important areas

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

I'd say Rivers signing here is probably up to 50/50 now.  Trending towards 100 as well, unless something changes.  

It makes too much sense for both sides.  Indy gets a new QB who is familiar with the system and can groom a young guy or Kelly, for a year or two.... And should be an enormous improvement on JB, I don't care how you look at it.... Just wait if Brissett is cut and see how much interest there is in him... (Hint, not much.... Dude was traded for a WR when he was 3 years younger and the shine of potential hadn't yet tarnished)

For Rivers, he gets a great O line, and probably a really good TE duo after the off-season, and an upgraded WR group is likely as well.... He already knows the scheme and his HC and OC to be..... It just makes too much sense not to happen at this point....

As an aside .... I'm sure it doesn't exactly work this way, but Castonzo coming back makes me think they may have led him to believe there will be some big changes being made at important areas

I agree entirely.  Unless there is a trade for someone like Carr I think this is on course to happen as you suggest.  I believe Rivers is only 38 so he could conceivably play into his 40's which makes me think they just might go with Kelly this year and if he doesn't work out they can go after Rivers replacement next year.  We can't forget they went all in on Kelly last year to make sure no one claimed him off our roster.  Going with Kelly would allow them to get more quality field players in the early part of the draft and maybe be more aggressive in FA and plug a few holes.  Rivers to the Colts is looking more and more likely IMO. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

It would make sense but the fact that he moved to Tampa makes me really question it.  If Tampa is done with Winston they have a fairly talented team as well and a well respected coach in BA.

I'd be pretty happy to get Rivers because I believe he could make us contenders and mentor someone behind him for a couple years.  

12 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I wouldn't mind Rivers, he is on the downside but he is still very talented and very knowledgeable.  But you have to wonder, does he want to mentor and train his replacement?  Maybe that is why SD decided not to try to sign him, because he didn't want to mentor the two guys behind him.

I think he knows that if he's going to try and play at an older age there is no getting around the fact that mentoring a young QB is going to go with the territory.  

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

If they sign Rivers that means they are looking to draft a QB. Rivers said he wants a two year deal but might only play one more year.

I'm not reading into it that way... I'm thinking this may mean they don't see a QB of value in round 1, so maybe they'll draft a QB later in the draft.  I see a 2 year deal to Rivers as a stop-gap for now.  Let Jacoby be the back-up and play out his deal, maybe bring Kelly up from PS to learn a bit more and see if he makes progress and continues to stay out of off-field trouble.  

Next year, if not traded this year, Carr should become a free agent.  There's a decent QB class next year as well.  

I see the signing of Rivers (if it happens) as (1) a win-now move (in part to ensure Ballard and Reich stay off the hot seat with another losing season) and (2) a way to bide another year or two of time before we really have to address who the QB of this franchise will be for hopefully another decade.

If we signed Rivers, I think most everyone would agree he'd be an upgrade from JB.  At that point, we're an interior DL, some additions at WR/TE, and potentially another edge rusher and some improvement in the defensive backfield away from being legit SB contenders.  

Odds are there will be a stud WR or IDL at 13.  Likely, if we get a stud DL at 13, there will still be a very good WR around in round 2 and probably a very good TE as well.  Maybe we draft a QB in the 3rd to 'groom', but my senses tell me if we sign Rivers it means Ballard and Reich want to contend for the SB this year and will try to fix a couple other glaring holes this offseason, biding time to find our long-term QB for another year or two.

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This says they expect it to happen.

If rivers comes here and wins a superbowl  I can forgive  him for the times the chargers  knocked us out the postseason, but if comes and sucks then maybe we will get Lawrence  lol

Will gladly take him. He actually pushes the ball downfield. I still think you take a QB in the first two rounds though. 

But who knows, maybe this is one of those intentional smoke screens that Irsay talked about. Maybe you get Rivers because he is an upgrade over Brisset, but other teams will think you don’t need a QB. So then Love or Herbert falls in your lap.

• Like 1

I am conflicted on Rivers

He is clearly better than JB

However...

The guy was a flaming wienie in a few of the games that we played against him....... 

At best the guy is a temporary band-aide to the Colts

It doesnt change the fact that this team needs a QB of the future......

EVERY snap that he takes is a snap that could be given to a young player, a player that MIGHT be the starting QB of the future.

Rivers may allow us to win a few more games this year. We will would STILL need to develop a QB..........  when the temporary fix, is past

I would rather do poorly THIS year, and have a QB of the future, being developed than win 2-3 games more, and have to go through the dance again after Rivers leaves 

We still have MANY options, that DONT include an aging vet

1 - Trade up for Tua  - The kid has the leadership skills and talent... A few picks and heavier use of FA, puts us in the playoffs.... for the next 15 years - this is my favorite option

A 1 and 2 2nds might do it

2 - Trade up for Herbert - The kid is starting to grow on me.

Highly intelligent kid with a strong arm

3 - Pick Love at 13 - Not my favorite option, but if the FO loves the kid and they believe in him

PICK HIM.  If we trot out CK or JB until Love is ready..... so be it 

4 - Pick Gordon (or Eason), and let him compete with CK (and JB) for starting reps

5 - Trade for Carr (if reasonable) He is young enough, and good enough to keep the Colts in the playoffs, with a strong team around him.

We can go a LOT of ways......

20 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Will gladly take him. He actually pushes the ball downfield. I still think you take a QB in the first two rounds though. 

But who knows, maybe this is one of those intentional smoke screens that Irsay talked about. Maybe you get Rivers because he is an upgrade over Brisset, but other teams will think you don’t need a QB. So then Love or Herbert falls in your lap.

Bingo. But in all seriousness if there plan is to draft a QB it’s probably smart to get a experience QB like Rivers to learn from.  If we do sign Rivers I think that means they are going to try and draft a QB.

Just a thought  to those that say we shouldn’t draft one at all. AC is on a year to year thing. You don’t want to go into next year and be needing both a LT and QB. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Bingo. But in all seriousness if there plan is to draft a QB it’s probably smart to get a experience QB like Rivers to learn from.  If we do sign Rivers I think that means they are going to try and draft a QB.

Just a thought  to those that say we shouldn’t draft one at all. AC is on a year to year thing. You don’t want to go into next year and be needing both a LT and QB. 

That's why I think if we sign Rivers or any other FA QB we will draft an OT with our 1st pick and sign a DT in FA.  I think we draft an OT this year because Ballard knows he is in the perfect spot to get a good one.   Next year there is a good chance he won't be.  Ballard also said the team is ready to bring in a big time FA.  I actually think he is going to bring in more than one.  JMO.  

• Thanks 2

No because that defeats the purpose of having rivers help groom a QB. With AC back we can get that QB at 13 if he is sold on one.  We can even draft a OT in the second maybe with that 44th pick. Then we have a guy to groom and a good backup.  Look for Trey Adams maybe. He has a injury history but has a history with the oline coach. But if we don’t think there is one there at 44 at least AC back we can put it off until next year. With AC back I think it puts QB first at 13 if they can get the one they want.

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That's why I think if we sign Rivers or any other FA QB we will draft an OT with our 1st pick and sign a DT in FA.  I think we draft an OT this year because Ballard knows he is in the perfect spot to get a good one.   Next year there is a good chance he won't be.  Ballard also said the team is ready to bring in a big time FA.  I actually think he is going to bring in more than one.  JMO.  

55 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

This is depressing.  What a bad year to need a quarterback.  Most options available to us either suck or are mediocre. If you gonna sign a free agent QB, I’d rather have Bridgewater over old man Rivers. 

I am not a fan of Rivers. However if they sign him this tells me that they have thoroughly evaluated Brissett.  They t ready to move on.

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I am not a fan of Rivers. However if they sign him this tells me that they have thoroughly evaluated Brissett.  They t ready to move on.

Brissett isn’t the answer either. Not sure Rivers will be as much of an upgrade as many think.  Colts likely still a 7-9 win team with an aging Rivers who does not protect the football well. 23 TDS to 20 INTs is abysmal.  If we draft the 17 interception throwing Jordan Love to take over for him in a year or two...God Lord help us...I might blow a gasket watching all those picks. 

8 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

It would make sense but the fact that he moved to Tampa makes me really question it.  If Tampa is done with Winston they have a fairly talented team as well and a well respected coach in BA.

I'd be pretty happy to get Rivers because I believe he could make us contenders and mentor someone behind him for a couple years.  

For the record Rivers moved to the Fla. Panhandle not Tampa. That’s a 5-6 hr drive. 

Its interesting that people on this Board are so willing to ignore the down year Rivers had in 2019. He showed all the signs of an aging athlete in serious decline. He had a stretch of 2 games where he had 7 official Interceptions and two more that got called back because of unrelated penalties. That’s AWFUL!

To me he looks to be a shadow of his former self and a bad option for the Colts. I hope the Colts take a different path here. 

• Like 2

All for it on one condition....

Colts take a QB in the first round as well (Love preferably).

Rivers is a perfect fit at this point. He knows the system and is better than Jacoby. He could also work as a good mentor (willingly or not) to a young QB that could take over the reigns in a season or two.

35 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

There isn't anything in any of these links that's any more of a real source than the speculation we've all had.  That Rivers "could" be a great fit because we need a QB, have cap space, and Reich knows him. 

We've been on that trail for over a month and the national football media has now just gotten around to it, after taking two months after season's end, like being struck upside the head with a 2 x 4, finally realizing that JB is not a franchise QB.

22 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Brissett isn’t the answer either. Not sure Rivers will be as much of an upgrade as many think.  Colts likely still a 7-9 win team with an aging Rivers who does not protect the football well. 23 TDS to 20 INTs is abysmal.  If we draft the 17 interception throwing Jordan Love to take over for him in a year or two...God Lord help us...I might blow a gasket watching all those picks. 

Rivers played behind the 29th rated OL, and his two Ts gave up the second most pressures in the league. Just my opinion, but going from the 29th ranked OL to a top 5 OL, will have a huge impact on the INTs. The scheme change itself will also reduce them. I'd predict closer to 3:1 if he came to Indy. Just two season ago he was pretty close to 3:1, so it's not like he incapable.

He's also top 5 (lowest) in time to throw, so our OL will get a huge break (JB was 2nd worst in the NFL). I would expect Rivers TTT to increase a bit with Indy, simply because he's not under constant pressure, but at least we know he doesn't "need" a ton of time like JB. Running game would also benefit (wouldn't be keyed on).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

This is depressing.  What a bad year to need a quarterback.  Most options available to us either suck or are mediocre. If you gonna sign a free agent QB, I’d rather have Bridgewater over old man Rivers. 

TB is the 64th rated FA out of 101 for a reason. He’s a lot like JB. lol

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

No because that defeats the purpose of having rivers help groom a QB. With AC back we can get that QB at 13 if he is sold on one.  We can even draft a OT in the second maybe with that 44th pick. Then we have a guy to groom and a good backup.  Look for Trey Adams maybe. He has a injury history but has a history with the oline coach. But if we don’t think there is one there at 44 at least AC back we can put it off until next year. With AC back I think it puts QB first at 13 if they can get the one they want.

A LT is one of the most important positions due to his blindside responsibility.  They go very fast in the draft.  Waiting to 44 will not get us an elite LT.  I have seen mocks this year showing three gone in the top 10.  Knowing what we know about AC it would be a mistake to not take one at 13. Ballard values the lines.  I can see him taking advantage of this opportunity.  if AC was committed to play three more years that's a different story.  I think he makes his move this year.  

25 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

A LT is one of the most important positions due to his blindside responsibility.  They go very fast in the draft.  Waiting to 44 will not get us an elite LT.  I have seen mocks this year showing three gone in the top 10.  Knowing what we know about AC it would be a mistake to not take one at 13. Ballard values the lines.  I can see him taking advantage of this opportunity.  if AC was committed to play three more years that's a different story.  I think he makes his move this year.  

Maybe not elite right away but the fact we got AC back he would have time to develop. Even if it is just for a year. OT is pretty deep this year. 

46 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We need QB arguably more than LT, and DT just as much. All three positions are ones that you'd like to take early. In terms of success at drafting Ts, see below.

In terms of T (ranked in order by one of PFFs weekly grades)

1. La’el Collins - UDFA

2. Mitchell Schwartz - 37th overall

3. Anthony Castonzo - 22nd overall

4. Ryan Ramczyk - 32nd overall

5. Ronnie Stanley - 6th overall

6. Matt Feiler - UDFA

7. Tyron Smith - 9th overall

8. Jason Peters - UDFA

9. Lane Johnson - 4th overall

10. Laremy Tunsil, - 13th overall

So

2 of 10 - Top 10

1 of 10 - 11-20

1 of 10 - 20-30

2 of 10 - 30-40

3 of 10 - UDFAs

Not saying we wouldn't want an early 1st round T, but 50% of the best Ts were after 30. The top 4 are all 20+.