Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard at Combine

CR91

He’s standing behind Jacoby because at the moment he’s still the QB.  I think he has every plan to make a change this off-season at the QB spot but he knows NOTHING is a sure thing and plans change all the time in the NFL.  So something could happen to make him go back to Jacoby for another year so he has to stand behind him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm just hoping he's not going for any of the band aid fixes, like Rivers or Brady.  I'd rather get a prospect to sit behind Jacoby for a year.  It could push JB, and if he shows anything, he'd at least have some trade value.

I don't expect Ballard (or anyone in the Colts organization) to say anything even slightly informative prior to the draft.   No smart GM is going to do that.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He’s standing behind Jacoby because at the moment he’s still the QB.  I think he has every plan to make a change this off-season at the QB spot but he knows NOTHING is a sure thing and plans change all the time in the NFL.  So something could happen to make him go back to Jacoby for another year so he has to stand behind him.

And what he said is absolutely true.  They do like Jacoby and love his leadership.  I don't think anyone is questioning that.  But like everyone else Ballard is going to try and improve that position - if he can - in what he sees as a smart way.  

I would be surprised to see him over pay for a free agent or "sell the farm" by trading away a bunch of picks to move up in the draft.  He is going to find a deal that he feels good about and it is possible that deal would include having JB as the main guy heading into next season.

We should all be prepared for that possibility.  

25 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm just hoping he's not going for any of the band aid fixes, like Rivers or Brady.  I'd rather get a prospect to sit behind Jacoby for a year.  It could push JB, and if he shows anything, he'd at least have some trade value.

I don't expect Ballard (or anyone in the Colts organization) to say anything even slightly informative prior to the draft.   No smart GM is going to do that.

If Ballard really is intent on moving forward, then he needs to get into the top 10 to get Tua or Herbert. The lions, chargers, and panthers are all wildcards. 

JB has gotten a lot of negative comments on this Forum, but I do know that he was playing pretty well and we were 5-2, then he got injured.  Was supposed to miss 4 games, but was brought back after missing two games.  So, he was playing when he wasn't fully recovered, then we had a rash of injuries at the WR position.  A lot of things were working against him the last half of the season, so the results aren't surprising to me.

Ballard, Reich and the staff know JB a whole lot more than any of us.  If they feel like he can be our QB this season, then I'm not one to question that.  I'm sure they are exploring and will explore all options, but if JB is back with Kelly as the back-up, and a rookie QB holding a clipboard for a season, then that's because it was our best option according to those who make the decisions, and get paid to make the decisions.

If it's a free agent QB, with JB or Kelly backing up, then that is our best option going into the season.  Or, maybe a FA QB, Kelly and a rookie QB...there are several options.

I'll wait and see what they decide, but will always support the Colts and trust our leadership throughout the organization.

2 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

JB has gotten a lot of negative comments on this Forum, but I do know that he was playing pretty well and we were 5-2, then he got injured.  Was supposed to miss 4 games, but was brought back after missing two games.  So, he was playing when he wasn't fully recovered, then we had a rash of injuries at the WR position.  A lot of things were working against him the last half of the season, so the results aren't surprising to me.

Ballard, Reich and the staff know JB a whole lot more than any of us.  If they feel like he can be our QB this season, then I'm not one to question that.  I'm sure they are exploring and will explore all options, but if JB is back with Kelly as the back-up, and a rookie QB holding a clipboard for a season, then that's because it was our best option according to those who make the decisions, and get paid to make the decisions.

If it's a free agent QB, with JB or Kelly backing up, then that is our best option going into the season.  Or, maybe a FA QB, Kelly and a rookie QB...there are several options.

I'll wait and see what they decide, but will always support the Colts and trust our leadership throughout the organization.

Ballard said the injury should not be part of an excuse for his performance down the stretch. Ballard like the rest of us see Brisett's limitations and he's not Jimmy G to get away with it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

There sure are a lot of assumptions regarding Ballard and what he thinks. 

IMO none of us knows what he is thinking. Letting your own fandom dictate what you would do has no effect on what he will do. 

It's not about fandom. Watch the interview. He raved more about Campbell then Brisett.

21 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

The single most accurate post on this subject that I have seen. 

So many posts with misguided emotion and conceit. This post has neither. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Paying attention to GM/coach speak is your first mistake. 

I been around long enough to know you don't read anything into what is said. 

Ballard doesn't give a inch I get that, but you cant hide so much. You can be right. It could mean nothing, but it could also be a tell 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Ballard doesn't give a inch I get that, but you can hide so much. You can right. It could mean nothing, but it could also be a tell 

The thing is Ballard has to keep the owner happy, the fans happy and sell tickets all at the same time. He is not going to give anything away when it comes to what he thinks will happen. I highly doubt he knows what he is going to do at this time. There are too many factors that come into play. 

As fans we all think we know but we really don't have a clue. 

Speculation is nothing but small talk that means absolutely nothing. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

He wasn't playing that well when we where 5-2.  He had a couple good games but for the most part the team was carrying him through it.  In terms of passing yards he was always towards the bottom of the total table and he wasn't gaining a ton of yards on the ground either.  

We lost some key players and the bottom just fell out.  

Don't get me wrong he's not a terrible player but I think if you think about it, look at the numbers even if you look at just those 7 games it's hard to think that this guy is the answer long term.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The thing is Ballard has to keep the owner happy, the fans happy and sell tickets all at the same time. He is not going to give anything away when it comes to what he thinks will happen. I highly doubt he knows what he is going to do at this time. There are too many factors that come into play. 

As fans we all think we know but we really don't have a clue. 

Speculation is nothing but small talk that means absolutely nothing. 

Very true, but we can try to predict from the little evidence we have. Like I said, could mean something, could mean nothing.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Paying attention to GM/coach speak is your first mistake. 

I been around long enough to know you don't read anything into what is said. 

You do have to take it with a grain of salt but there are some clues there.  

Indicating that you like Jacoby and his ability to lead very much says that Ballard is not confident in Jacoby in terms of remaining a starter.  

And for the record I do want to say that I do agree with Ballard and Reich that Jacoby does have elite leadership skills.  In 2018 it was him the backup quarterback at the time who called the meeting that turned the season around.  How many other guys do you know in the league who playing on a team where it is very clear from day 1 that their role is to sit on the bench behind a franchise QB would call a players only meeting like that?   

Honestly if you count that in there, Jacoby Brissett might be the best backup quarterback in the league.  Problem is that he is far, from being a good STARTING quarterback.  

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

You do have to take it with a grain of salt but there are some clues there.  

Indicating that you like Jacoby and his ability to lead very much says that Ballard is not confident in Jacoby in terms of remaining a starter.  

And for the record I do want to say that I do agree with Ballard and Reich that Jacoby does have elite leadership skills.  In 2018 it was him the backup quarterback at the time who called the meeting that turned the season around.  How many other guys do you know in the league who playing on a team where it is very clear from day 1 that their role is to sit on the bench behind a franchise QB would call a players only meeting like that?   

Personally I think Ballard will give Brissett every opportunity to be a starter for the Colts. 

I haven't a clue on what that outcome will be but only time will tell. I think Ballard will cover his tail just like he did with bringing Brissett in when we had Luck. 

I am not going to speculate on who or when another QB is going to inter the picture because I just don't know. 

I am a firm believer in thinking things are never as bad as they seem nor as great as some think either. :dunno:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

The only "push" we need for JB is out-the-door and goodbye forever.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Ballard said the injury should not be part of an excuse for his performance down the stretch. Ballard like the rest of us see Brisett's limitations and he's not Jimmy G to get away with it.

I heard that and understand what he's saying, but there are also reasons why things ended poorly for us last season and I believe the injuries were reasons for that.  I know all teams have injuries to deal with.  But, it's unlrealistic to think that injuries to key players don't result in poor results.  Not excuses, but they are reasons and factors.  He went on to say in another interview that he takes the blame for lack of depth to make up for injuries.

Yes, JB has limitations, but they are amplified if he's injured and trying to come back too early.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I'm just hoping he's not going for any of the band aid fixes, like Rivers or Brady.  I'd rather get a prospect to sit behind Jacoby for a year. 

How is either of those a band aid if they spend a year mentoring a rookie QB?  

I believe "bridge" to be more analogous in your hypothetical scenario.

6 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

How is either of those a band aid if they spend a year mentoring a rookie QB?  

I believe "bridge" to be more analogous in your hypothetical scenario.

Well that's only if we also draft a QB. Otherwise it is a band-aid because it's a short term solution

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Well that's only if we also draft a QB. Otherwise it is a band-aid because it's a short term solution

That’s correct.  We already have JB if the idea is to give a rookie QB a redshirt year.  

Besides, Brady and Rivers aren’t exactly the ‘mentor’ types.  You’d really want a journeyman type if that was Ballards intent. 

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

That’s correct.  We already have JB if the idea is to give a rookie QB a redshirt year.  

Besides, Brady and Rivers aren’t exactly the ‘mentor’ types.  You’d really want a journeyman type if that was Ballards intent. 

I disagree. You want a mentor with a long track record of success and/or good stats. And one that is close to retiring so that the motivation and plan are clear. A journeyman (like Hoyer or others) have limited things to be a mentor about. There are certainly exceptions (high intellect guys who simply lack physical attributes), but IMO you want an aged guy who was a clear franchise QB. Brady and Rivers both fit that criteria. 

Not sure why you think neither are mentor types. It's not like any of the guys under them in the past have said they were bad mentors, Actually, many young QBs have said very complimentary things about Brady, and Belichick has been pretty successful dealing mid round QBs who have "mentored" under Brady.