Indianapolis Colts
RollerColt

Panthers Plan to Stay With Cam

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102990/article/panthers-to-move-forward-with-cam-newton-as-qb

This could have some big implications if the Panthers are off the table for the QB search. Yes, they could still draft a QB to groom for the future; but this news could mean they are not in the market for a free agent QB. 

I always felt that was the smart thing to do. He finally took the time he needed to heal and they must have gotten a vote of confidence from their doctors before making this decision, IMO.

In years past, he kept playing through injury and it didn't truly help anyone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I always felt that was the smart thing to do. He finally took the time he needed to heal and they must have gotten a vote of confidence from their doctors before making this decision, IMO.

In years past, he kept playing through injury and it didn't truly help anyone.

Matt Rhule has reportedly been happy with his maturity and commitment to get healthy, and for a rookie HC, Cam should be the better option as opposed to teaching a newly drafted QB.  

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Another possible move up target. 

That's what I was thinking to be honest. 

I really liked Cam talking at the NFL Honors stuff during the SB week. He's really shaping up as this wise, veteran guy. The question will be how his talent still stands. I'm actually rooting for the guy to make a comeback.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102990/article/panthers-to-move-forward-with-cam-newton-as-qb

This could have some big implications if the Panthers are off the table for the QB search. Yes, they could still draft a QB to groom for the future; but this news could mean they are not in the market for a free agent QB. 

I think they did last year with Grier

They still could draft the future QB but if they are sticking with Cam I would bet they will draft defense or a WR.  If we want to stay ahead of some teams that would be a good trade up spot.

5 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Good, he's a broken QB and the Panthers will stay in mediocrity for a while, just like Dallas.

The Panthers are aiming at Trevor Lawrence next year. Matt Rhule is an expert in rebuilding... 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

The Panthers are aiming at Trevor Lawrence next year. Matt Rhule is an expert in rebuilding... 

Very well could be.

I think an under the radar QB that is going to shoot up draft lists next year is Dylan McCaffrey at Michigan (yes I'm biased, I'm a Michigan fan) but when you look at the the McCaffrey family, you just cannot count them out.  The biggest question will be, can he stay healthy, but if he does I think he will become a 1st round QB.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Very well could be.

I think an under the radar QB that is going to shoot up draft lists next year is Dylan McCaffrey at Michigan (yes I'm biased, I'm a Michigan fan) but when you look at the the McCaffrey family, you just cannot count them out.  The biggest question will be, can he stay healthy, but if he does I think he will become a 1st round QB.

Has he played yet? How has he looked? 

I heard a new QB name for next year's draft the other day by Daniel Jeremiah.

North Dakota State QB Trey Lance

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4383351/trey-lance

Yep that's not a typo... he threw for 28 TDs and ZERO INTs this year. He's 6'3" 220 and he's a dual threat QB. Passed for 2800 yards(9.7YPA) and rushed for 1100 yards. I have not watched game tape of him yet, just highlights, so I can't really say how much I buy his hype, but definitely looks intriguing. 

48 minutes ago, stitches said:

Has he played yet? How has he looked? 

I heard a new QB name for next year's draft the other day by Daniel Jeremiah.

North Dakota State QB Trey Lance

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4383351/trey-lance

Yep that's not a typo... he threw for 28 TDs and ZERO INTs this year. He's 6'3" 220 and he's a dual threat QB. Passed for 2800 yards(9.7YPA) and rushed for 1100 yards. I have not watched game tape of him yet, just highlights, so I can't really say how much I buy his hype, but definitely looks intriguing. 

He has played very sparingly.  He was going to get some more playing time and then got injured.  He's a bit inaccurate, but seems to have a strong arm, good runner.  I just think he will shine this year, nothing in his game to date, indicates 1st round talent.

Trey Lance looks interesting.