Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jordan Love combine presser

On 2/26/2020 at 8:01 AM, Archer said:

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Jordan-Love-Voted-Most-Overrated-Prospect

This basically says what we non-Lovers have been thinking. 

I believe pat mahomes was voted most overrated too. Coming out of the draft people said his offense made his numbers look inflated. They also said he would be a pick machine in the nfl.    I remember when manning came out a scout said if he wasn't Archie's son he would be a 3rd round pick

16 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Ballard was doing an interview with JMV, and the thing that stood out to me was what he said about the Chiefs & their drafting of Mahomes.  Said he (they)  knew that Mahomes was gonna be a star before the draft.  And that he loved the way they did their homework & pulled the trigger on trading up to go get their man.

That basically told me that Ballard has done his homework on Love.  And if Love continues to light up the combine (very key component), Ballard will be forced to pull the trigger and move up to get his man. 

In that scenario, no way he gets past the Chargers at 6 & maybe even the Dolphins at 5.  So my bold prediction is that we trade with the Giants and move up to 4th & take Love.  Could some of our resident draft experts give me some examples of what it would take to go from 13 to 4???

Ballard has been watching love play live all season even in November the rumors started . No gm travels around watching a college qb if he thinks he is a bust

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

I believe pat mahomes was voted most overrated too. Coming out of the draft people said his offense made his numbers look inflated. They also said he would be a pick machine in the nfl.    I remember when manning came out a scout said if he wasn't Archie's son he would be a 3rd round pick

Fair enough.  Personally, I think that the most important part of our QB analysis for this draft class will be the interviews.  We have a cerebral HC and OC, and they’ll draft someone who can understand and talk Xs and Os at a high level (if they draft one at all).  I can’t get past the fact that Love probably isn’t that guy.  (Mahomes, Luck, and Manning definitely were that guy.)

1 minute ago, Archer said:

Fair enough.  Personally, I think that the most important part of our QB analysis for this draft class will be the interviews.  We have a cerebral HC and OC, and they’ll draft someone who can understand and talk Xs and Os at a high level (if they draft one at all).  I can’t get past the fact that Love probably isn’t that guy.  (Mahomes, Luck, and Manning definitely were that guy.)

I trust Ballard if he believes in love then I do. If he doesn't and passes I'll respect that ,but will be mad if he is good.  I rather take the risk of a young qb then jacoby who has been in the nfl for 5 years and hasn't improved and played two full seasons and had 5 years working with nfl trainers to improve .  Jacoby hit his ceiling he is a middle of the pack qb like Jay Cutler.  It's either take a risk or keep going 8 and 8 at least if we take a risk and tank we can get trevor next year .

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I trust Ballard if he believes in love then I do. If he doesn't and passes I'll respect that ,but will be mad if he is good.  I rather take the risk of a young qb then jacoby who has been in the nfl for 5 years and hasn't improved and played two full seasons and had 5 years working with nfl trainers to improve .  Jacoby hit his ceiling he is a middle of the pack qb like Jay Cutler.  It's either take a risk or keep going 8 and 8 at least if we take a risk and tank we can get trevor next year .

Its funny, I disagree with alot of this and feel that he has not reached his ceiling yet.  But, I would also never say he was the same is Jay Cutler.   Cutler was an all pro and was much better.  lol

33 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Surprising Mahomes and love had the same amount of INT in college. Mahomes had more TD and played a half season longer I believe.

10 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Thanks East. I’d definitely do that 13, 44, & 75 deal. One more question for you though. I think Ballard will be reluctant to part with both 13 & 34.  But I think he would be willing to part with 13 & next year’s first. Also, JB has a history with the Giants organization. Could we include him in the package (he’d make a great backup for Jones)?  How would this year’s & next year’s first plus JB or our later 2nd matchup in a trade for 4?

I really don't see Ballard giving up two 1st rounders, but you never know. Being we have two 2nds, I think it's more likely he would package 13, one of the 2nds, and perhaps a future 2nd. He could then turn next year's 1st into two 2nds if he wanted to. Nothing would shock me though as he's proven to be willing to both trade back (for volume of picks), and also take players before their predicted draft spot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Restored said:

Good point to the bolded. I always love when people try to bring up Ballard's W-L record. Lynch with the 49ers still has a losing record even after this year's SB run. Are people going to say he's a bad GM too?

It's really all about what Ballard does next. It's likely a career defining draft for him. In the draft (QB), he's going to get some time and a long leash (and likely forgiveness if it doesn't work out). If he makes a bad decision with a FA QB or stands pat with JB, it could be detrimental to his career. GMs always get more grace/latitude in the draft with QBs so long as the rest of the draft and finances are good. It'll be his first huge personnel call. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

It's really all about what Ballard does next. It's likely a career defining draft for him. In the draft (QB), he's going to get some time and a long leash (and likely forgiveness if it doesn't work out). If he makes a bad decision with a FA QB or stands pat with JB, it could be detrimental to his career. GMs always get more grace/latitude in the draft with QBs so long as the rest of the draft and finances are good. It'll be his first huge personnel call. 

I agree. The leash is certainly shortened if he misses in FA with a QB or stands pat with JB but I also think he has to been given a little more leeway than other GM's in his position. With Luck retiring abruptly and McDaniels backing out, the team could have easily floundered given either or both events but Ballard weathered the storm and kept the team afloat. Because of this, he has earned himself a little more credit in my opinion.

I'm of the opinion that he should take a QB in the draft (Love preferably but Herbert is fine too). Additionally, I would be fine with Rivers as a stop-gap for the next season or two as well. The Colts historically have understood the importance of the QB position and how much it means to a team's ability to succeed. Hopefully Ballard gets it right.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Restored said:

I agree. The leash is certainly shortened if he misses in FA with a QB or stands pat with JB but I also think he has to been given a little more leeway than other GM's in his position. With Luck retiring abruptly and McDaniels backing out, the team could have easily floundered given either or both events but Ballard weathered the storm and kept the team afloat. Because of this, he has earned himself a little more credit in my opinion.

I'm of the opinion that he should take a QB in the draft (Love preferably but Herbert is fine too). Additionally, I would be fine with Rivers as a stop-gap for the next season or two as well. The Colts historically have understood the importance of the QB position and how much it means to a team's ability to succeed. Hopefully Ballard gets it right.

I'm all for a Rivers/Rook combo. It will keep fans vested in a year or two with Rivers, while also giving them hope for the future. I'm totally against drafting a rook and keeping JB as the mentor/bridge though. That's a recipe for locker divide, and bad fan behavior. Fans would have zero patience and want to see the rook yesterday. I'd prefer going with a rook day 1 over that scenario. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'm all for a Rivers/Rook combo. It will keep fans vested in a year or two with Rivers, while also giving them hope for the future. I'm totally against drafting a rook and keeping JB as the mentor/bridge though. That's a recipe for locker divide, and bad fan behavior. Fans would have zero patience and want to see the rook yesterday. I'd prefer going with a rook day 1 over that scenario. 

Now that I think about it I think Jacoby is still too young to accept mentoring a QB. With Rivers you would know he is retiring soon and it would allow the rookie to try and win the locker room. With Jacoby as the starter that would just be way to hard for both the rookie and Jacoby. I can totally see your point of it dividing a locker room. I think the signing of rivers would mean they intend to draft a QB.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Now that I think about it I think Jacoby is still too young to accept mentoring a QB. With Rivers you would know he is retiring soon and it would allow the rookie to try and win the locker room. With Jacoby as the starter that would just be way to hard for both the rookie and Jacoby. I can totally see your point of it dividing a locker room. I think the signing of rivers would mean they intend to draft a QB.

Age has nothing to do with mentoring though. Alex Smith helped Mahomes out even though Smith still had years in the tank. Peyton didn't help Brock Osweiler.

It's a matter of personality. If Brissett has a teaching personality, and if the rook is a sponge, they'll jive.

If the locker room is divided by a rookie coming in, then this locker room is paper thin.

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

JB is too young, too inexperienced, and simply not role model in the skill areas you want in a mentor... And I doubt JB is ready to accept a mentor/bridge roll, which I would not expect him to. It would be awkward. Aside from locker room risk, can you imagine the fans all year if JB started and looked pedestrian? Our fans might start looking like Philly fans lol.. I'll cheer for whomever is under center, but you know folks can be less than good fans after several cans of courage.

• Like 1

I want to trust ballard on the QB issue. But until he actually trades up and gives up picks I won’t be sold he will do it. No matter how much he likes the guy.  We can all say if he passes on say Love or Herbert that means he wasn’t sold. But I am not so sure about that anymore.  I really think he is going to be tough for him to give up picks. 

It is going to be a sad day in April when we don’t get Love or Herbert. A guy like Gordon just doesn’t excite me.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I want to trust ballard on the QB issue. But until he actually trades up and gives up picks I won’t be sold he will do it. No matter how much he likes the guy.  We can all say if he passes on say Love or Herbert that means he wasn’t sold. But I am not so sure about that anymore.  I really think he is going to be tough for him to give up picks. 

It is going to be a sad day in April when we don’t get Love or Herbert. A guy like Gordon just doesn’t excite me.  

Let me ask everyone a question.   What is it about Love that makes u think Ballard and Reich want him as their franchise qb?  Based in the way Reich wants to play offence and the way they have constructed this team  how is Love a fit??? I want specifics. Schematically, how is he a fit?

On 2/26/2020 at 9:15 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I just think it will b a guy that makes everyone fall off their chair

15 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Let me ask everyone a question.   What is it about Love that makes u think Ballard and Reich want him as their franchise qb?  Based in the way Reich wants to play offence and the way they have constructed this team  how is Love a fit??? I want specifics. Schematically, how is he a fit?

Ballard said the other day one thing he likes about Reich that he is flexible and will form a offense to the QB strengths. Love has the tools any coach would want. What we don’t know is how well his football IQ is. But it sounds like he is a football junkie.

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard said the other day one thing he likes about Reich that he is flexible and will form a offense to the QB strengths. Love has the tools any coach would want. What we don’t know is how well his football IQ is. But it sounds like he is a football junkie.

That doesnt answer the question

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

His big time throw ability,  touch and pocket  awareness. Also his off target  throw ability.  Schematically I think he could excel in Frank reich's  offense  and it would help limit his turnovers. He's  not afraid  to take a shot when it's  there and had much better anticipation  than Brissett. 

The main thing is teams wouldn't  be able  to stack the box with Love because  they'd have to fear the deep game. Burrow,  and tua are similar.  Gordon and herbert  are seen more as check down guys.

My co worker  is an Oregon  fan and he said he thought herbert was worse than Mariota. He said he played to safe and rarely  threw down the field. 

I don't watch college football, so I don't have the game film perspective to go on.  As more of a number-cruncher/strategist, I'd say this is a terrific year to use max gamesmanship leading up to the draft.  As it relates to Jordan Love, he's simply not going to be BPA at #13.  I could see Indy trade up 2 spots to the bottom of round 1 if they have that much love for Love.

Ballard & co are in a great position thanks to massive cap space and Washington's #34 pick.  The FA QB market is deep and Brisset is still under contract with a $12.5 mil dead cap hit.  Basically, Ballard can let the draft come to him, so any QB chatter at this point is wildly speculative.  

If Indy brass has a rookie in mind, they're high enough in the order to pretty much move up as far as deemed necessary without giving up too much for the opportunity.  

This class is loaded with OT and WR talent, so BPA/fill need will certainly apply.  Every QB someone trades up for pushes one more blue chip player down to #13.  

It will be interesting to see what was smokescreen and what was silent intent when the cards start being read on Draft Day.  Indy would be wise to manipulate perception, especially with the Raiders and their similar needs at #12.  Given Mayock's round 1 disaster (Clelin Ferrell) last year I like our chances.