Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jordan Love combine presser

1 minute ago, Superfly said:

He was injured and his leadership can’t be replaced. 

He can lead from the bench his 100 yards a game can be replaced .  He had a mild sprain 6 weeks later playing horrible . We had the easiest schedule in the nfl go 7 and 9.  He cant throw it's like watching paint dry going from manning and luck to a qb going through one read then running from a clean pocket and throwing it away .jacoby had the best offensive line and had a top ten rushing team even when hilton came back he is super inaccurate.

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

He can lead from the bench his 100 yards a game can be replaced .  He had a mild sprain 6 weeks later playing horrible . We had the easiest schedule in the nfl go 7 and 9.  He cant throw it's like watching paint dry going from manning and luck to a qb going through one read then running from a clean pocket and throwing it away .jacoby had the best offensive line and had a top ten rushing team even when hilton came back he is super inaccurate.

Check your sarcasm detector. Either it's off, or you're just in the mood to rant, right now.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

IMO this remark and the fact we have already met him at the combine just reinforces the fact that we really like him and we have done a lot of research on him.  Smoke screen or smoke signal?   lol

Yeah, I'm with Chad on this one.  If Ballard is openly talking this much about Love, they're looking elsewhere.

18 minutes ago, #12. said:

Yeah, I'm with Chad on this one.  If Ballard is openly talking this much about Love, they're looking elsewhere.

Or maybe by talking about him it makes teams think we aren’t taking him therefore we are taking him lol. I mean he was asked the question. 

At this point Luck retired so every team knows we are going to be looking at the quarterbacks.

• Like 1

If Love has SWAG over his superior ability to read defenses, then I'm all for swag. 

If he has swag about superior physicality and arm talent, then he may be just another another diva. 

Kinda like a WR who has swag about his speed and physicality but not about his route running.

Just saying in general.  I haven't watched the clip and I'm not really judging him.

2 hours ago, buccolts said:

Check your sarcasm detector. Either it's off, or you're just in the mood to rant, right now.

i am giving my honest opinion , i haven't seen any one counter my point.  show me how many superbowl winners in the last 20 years did it without a franchise QB . EVen teams without a franchise QB like philly got great QB play during the playoffs and super bowl .

why waste our elite offensive line and core young players playing jacoby we got a 5 year window before leonard and nelson and other young talent start aging we need a franchise QB right away. Do you really think jacoby is the answer ?

1 hour ago, WifiGuy said:

I would . Just not at 13 Bottom of the 1st or top of second sure.  

tons of teams need a Qb . steelers pats , saints and a lot more .  When drafting a QB they get taken ahead of where they should all the time when you believe you found a QB that is a franchise guy you have to take that risk , the reward is way to high to pass it up.

if the colts do not take love and some other team does and he plays well and becomes elite trust me you will feel sick to your stomach watching jacoby struggle .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

If Love has SWAG over his superior ability to read defenses, then I'm all for swag. 

If he has swag about superior physicality and arm talent, then he may be just another another diva. 

Kinda like a WR who has swag about his speed and physicality but not about his route running.

Just saying in general.  I haven't watched the clip and I'm not really judging him.

But you are judging him and since you haven't watched the press conference, you're just spouting conjecture.

Also, that post made no sense whatsoever.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Shive said:

But you are judging him and since you haven't watched the press conference, you're just spouting conjecture.

Also, that post made no sense whatsoever.

I'm not judging him, because I don't care to watch college QB pressers.  I'm commenting on someone else's use of the word swag in relation to any QB having it.  If a QB doesn't have a "swaggish" ability to read defenses, then his swag is going to lead him to throwing into coverage.  JMO.

4 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

Hey! for what it's worth I am not one of those people who will hate on a WR at 13. Jeudy and Lamb really do look like the undisputed top 2 to me and I'd be happy to have one even if there is depth at WR in this draft. It's not my top choice, but you won't see me cry about it.

Justin Jefferson is a close third IMO. If he falls to 24-25 range, I would love for the Colts to trade back up to grab him.

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

tons of teams need a Qb . steelers pats , saints and a lot more .  When drafting a QB they get taken ahead of where they should all the time when you believe you found a QB that is a franchise guy you have to take that risk , the reward is way to high to pass it up.

if the colts do not take love and some other team does and he plays well and becomes elite trust me you will feel sick to your stomach watching jacoby struggle .

And if he RG111's ? Or Jamarcus Russel's?    I think there are better options for the TEAM . Maybe not if you want to go all in on QB and cross your fingers

1 hour ago, WifiGuy said:

And if he RG111's ? Or Jamarcus Russel's?    I think there are better options for the TEAM . Maybe not if you want to go all in on QB and cross your fingers

That's what you have to do to get an elite franchise QB. Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Lamar Jackson, Rodgers, Brady, etc... All drafted. Unless in the rare case you get Peyton Manning at 35 in FA because of a neck issue or trade for Garrapollo because he'll never start over Brady. Those are rare instances though. Have to draft your guy and hope for the best. If he fails, he fails.

Now if you want to argue not to trade the farm to move up, that's a different discussion altogether.

I just listened to Loves entire presser. He was really impressive. Submerges himself in football and has a ton of confidence. Yet he is humble enough to talk about what he needs to improve. He said breaking down his interceptions for teams was easy because he had already watched them a bunch of times. All the combine interviews are up on nfl.com.

Eason couldn’t even really come up with anything he needs to improve on.  Wasn’t as impressed with him. I do think the poor work ethic rumor against him seems to be false from how he talked. 

Still need to listen to Fromm and Herbert.

6 hours ago, Superfly said:

He was injured and his leadership can’t be replaced. 

He wasn't injured in the first 7 games, in which he had 4 sub 50 QBRs, 3 of which were sub 40. Sub 40 is just plain bad and had nothing to do with injury. 

"Leadership" is replaced all the time, and leadership without performance is a lot easier to replace.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

I'm not convinced  we will draft any  of the top qbs from this draft. If we do take one it may be a mid round project  with good measurables 

That very rarely works. Every now and then you get a Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott, but that is rare. Usually the mid round guys that you sit and develop never really develop into anything. Remember Landry Jones and Joshua Dobbs for the Steelers? How about Brett Hundley? Cody Kessler? What about Bryce Petty? Some of those guys mentioned aren’t even in the league as backups.

Needing a franchise QB and betting on a developmental QB is not the way to go. You either draft one in the 1st two rounds or miss out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

That very rarely works. Every now and then you get a Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott, but that is rare. Usually the mid round guys that you sit and develop never really develop into anything. Remember Landry Jones and Joshua Dobbs for the Steelers? How about Brett Hundley? Cody Kessler? What about Bryce Petty? Some of those guys mentioned aren’t even in the league as backups.

Needing a franchise QB and betting on a developmental QB is not the way to go. You either draft one in the 1st two rounds or miss out.

I know, but I'm not sure Ballard  will draft a qb in the first. 

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I just listened to Loves entire presser. He was really impressive. Submerges himself in football and has a ton of confidence. Yet he is humble enough to talk about what he needs to improve. He said breaking down his interceptions for teams was easy because he had already watched them a bunch of times. All the combine interviews are up on nfl.com.

Eason couldn’t even really come up with anything he needs to improve on.  Wasn’t as impressed with him. I do think the poor work ethic rumor against him seems to be false from how he talked. 

Still need to listen to Fromm and Herbert.

I'd guess you have it playing on a loop over and over and over and over.  

8 hours ago, Stephen said:

I know, but I'm not sure Ballard  will draft a qb in the first. 

We’ll see. Ballard has the best poker face in the league. It’s always hard to guess what he’ll do. He’s got 3 drafts under his belt and all of them look different. He holds all the cards close to him. Plus we don’t know how the picks before us will go besides picks one and two. Plus he’s never had to draft a QB before so we don’t even know what he’s looking for.

If I had to put a bet on it, I’d say there’s a 60% chance he’ll draft a QB in the first.

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yes.  This is the case with several important positions in the NFL.  LT and EDGE come to mind.  Once in a while, a blind squirrel finds the Mathis EDGE or that LT in PITT in later rounds, but generally the franchise guy you want in one of those two positions has to have enough talent to be selected in the top 45 picks.  And QB might have to be Top 32.

GS, Cs, FSs, WRs, RBs, TEs and other productive starters can be found in the mid rounds, but not QB, EDGE, or LT.  JMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DougDew said:

I'm not judging him, because I don't care to watch college QB pressers.  I'm commenting on someone else's use of the word swag in relation to any QB having it.  If a QB doesn't have a "swaggish" ability to read defenses, then his swag is going to lead him to throwing into coverage.  JMO.

It was literally meant that he has a confidence about him. You're pulling a word out of context and applying it to a preconceived belief about Love (his inability to read coverage well, ala the 17 INTs).

If I'm trying to make actual sense out of your post it would be that you're concerned that he's arrogant and overconfident in his abilities to read defenses, which has and will lead to a lot of INT's. Anyone that actually watched the presser would agree that that wasn't the feeling you walk away with.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I just listened to Loves entire presser. He was really impressive. Submerges himself in football and has a ton of confidence. Yet he is humble enough to talk about what he needs to improve.

Jacoby Brissett says the same thing.

He said breaking down his interceptions for teams was easy because he had already watched them a bunch of times. All the combine interviews are up on nfl.com.

That must be why he's so good at throwing them.

I think Eason is a Jeff George clone.

13 minutes ago, Shive said:

It was literally meant that he has a confidence about him. You're pulling a word out of context and applying it to a preconceived belief about Love (his inability to read coverage well, ala the 17 INTs).

If I'm trying to make actual sense out of your post it would be that you're concerned that he's arrogant and overconfident in his abilities to read defenses, which has and will lead to a lot of INT's. Anyone that actually watched the presser would agree that that wasn't the feeling you walk away with.

I never said he has swag.  Someone else said he has swag.

The broader point is, everything favorable I've read about Love on this forum has absolutely NOTHING to do with anything important.  THE most important thing in a NFL QB is decision making...knowing where to throw the football.....and even more precisely...where NOT to throw it.

So if/when the comments about Love start to center around how well he has command over his ability to see the field and know coverages, then the chatter will get to the important stuff.  Right now, just about any other discussion point is a waste of time, and has been for several weeks.

He's a nice kid with a great attitude.  Whoopie.  I say that about Fromm too, whoopie about leadership and personality.  In Fromm's case, will his hand size and physicality be a problem.  Fromm will nail the presser, and I could care less.

And we all know about Eason's work ethic, and his faults under pressure.  Yet, we hardly ever hear about Loves decision making,  even though decision making far far far outweighs hand size, arm talent, or turning your back under pressure (however, I'd say work ethic is up there with decision making)  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

We’ll see. Ballard has the best poker face in the league. It’s always hard to guess what he’ll do. He’s got 3 drafts under his belt and all of them look different. He holds all the cards close to him. Plus we don’t know how the picks before us will go besides picks one and two. Plus he’s never had to draft a QB before so we don’t even know what he’s looking for.

If I had to put a bet on it, I’d say there’s a 60% chance he’ll draft a QB in the first.

True.  I’ve been thinking about what the most important traits CB and Reich will look for in a QB.  I think #1 is going to be Football IQ.  They want someone who can read a D presnap, make adjustments, and nail the mental game.  To me, I don’t think that is Jordan Love.  He was great when he was in the air-raid and just had to pick a receiver and throw a precise pass into the window.  Not so good when he had to read a D this season.  I’ve read some stuff about Gordon actually having Peyton-like football IQ (even though he was in an air-raid too).  At any rate, I’d think that the interviews will be where we fall for a QB in this draft...

35 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard and Reich have been asked many times what they are looking for in a QB. So no we do know what they are looking for. This is what they have said.

Mental toughness

accuracy

ability to make plays with their feet

fast processing speed

That is not what Reich said, he said good feet, stated the game is played from the ground up, so what that means is good mechanics not the ability to run.

For example, Manning had great feet but was not a running threat.  Many people knocked Manning for his "happy feet" but he used it to keep time with his receivers.  

He did, later on when someone asked about a "running type" Qb he said that they don't want to be a copy cat but they do look at the newer styles and try to incorporate that into what they want to do.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I never said he has swag.  Someone else said he has swag.

The broader point is, everything favorable I've read about Love on this forum has absolutely NOTHING to do with anything important.  THE most important thing in a NFL QB is decision making...knowing where to throw the football.....and even more precisely...where NOT to throw it.

So if/when the comments about Love start to center around how well he has command over his ability to see the field and know coverages, then the chatter will get to the important stuff.  Right now, just about any other discussion point is a waste of time, and has been for several weeks.

He's a nice kid with a great attitude.  Whoopie.  I say that about Fromm too, whoopie about leadership and personality.  In Fromm's case, will his hand size and physicality be a problem.  Fromm will nail the presser, and I could care less.

And we all know about Eason's work ethic, and his faults under pressure.  Yet, we hardly ever hear about Loves decision making,  even though decision making far far far outweighs hand size, arm talent, or turning your back under pressure (however, I'd say work ethic is up there with decision making)  

It's been more than well discussed on this forum that decision making and reading coverage are the biggest concerns with Love. Why would they be talked about favorably?

Stitches liked how Love carried himself with confidence in the presser. That's a relevant observation in the larger evaluation of Love as potentially the face of a franchise.

Based off of the quoted post, if the conversation isn't favorably discussing Love's decision making, we shouldn't be talking about Love at all? That's asinine. It's a holistic view of him as a prospect and just because your concerns about him as a prospect aren't being addressed, doesn't mean other observations aren't relevant.

If you don't want to be a part of the discussions about Love that aren't about his decision making, then STOP COMMENTING ON THEM. You have a habit of trying to dictate what's worthwhile discussing, while offering nothing of substance in the course of that discussion. We're discussing the the many attributes as a part of evaluating a prospect and if you don't see value in what's being discussed, just don't join the conversation.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I haven’t  listened to Herberts presser from yesterday but apparently he said it wouldn’t be in his best  interest to start right away . This is a good convo on why it was a mistake to say it and why Love could go before him.

Random but when I hear Herbert talk I kinda feel like his personality is...meh. I don’t know, especially in his combine presser, just seems interesting.