Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Funk's Pre-Combine Offseason Mock

Re-sign

Castonzo LT

Sign

Jadeveon Clowney DE 3-4 years

Shelby Harris DT 3 years

Philip Rivers QB- 1 year deal (maybe 2)- I should make a disclaimer that this is a win-now cap luxury choice. If we can't afford it, then he's actually the top person on this list I'd pass on. But I think he had a couple years in the tank and is an upgrade over Brissett.

Sammy Watkins- WR- 1-2 years I think he gets cut by the Cheifs and I think Funchess moves on. 

Draft

1. Jordan Love- QB- I had been harsh on Love in more recent weeks, but looking back more at some of his footage, there is just so much there to be optimistic about and his 2018 season proves he can take better care of the football. He needs to sit and having Rivers, Reich, and Siriani can do him wonders.

2a. Josh Jones- OT- As far as value goes here, one of the few remaining chances to groom an OT from this draft to replace AC. Could possibly have us kick Smith inside while he works the RT position.

2b. Denzel Mims- WR

3. Troy Pride Jr.- CB - A position that could use improvement and definitely needs more depth. He can still develop, but he had a good Senior Bowl week.

4. Harrison Bryant- TE- One my favorite TEs in the draft and he is still regularly projected fairly late. Dude just seems like he could be that monster TE we are lacking. I also would take Trautman if he is here.

5. Benito Jones- DT- I'm thinking he'd be more developed to be a 1T for us. His plus is that for a guy being projected this late he is a good run stopper who shows promise in the pass rush.

All remaining picks BPA.

So what does all this do?

‐ Helps us win more now, but also for the future.

-I can live with not getting Brown or Kinlaw if we get Clowney, Harris, and Love.

-the WR changes give us a nice variety of speed options and shiny new 6-3 WR who has speed on the outside and can also do the dirty work on the inside. I'm really high on Mims right now. Can't wait for the combine.

-Not a lot to address the secondary here other than I think Pride is destined for a starting role possibly even in year one. Him, Moore, Rock, and Desir gives me a lot of reassurance. Most pundits agree this draft is deepest in WR and DB and we might be foolish if we don't try to take advantage of that.

-We'd have a much more well-round roster with some real difference makers all around.

- criticizing my own works, I'd say my biggest concern in this is that CB as shown no inclination to ever be a big spender in FA. But I will say that he has said he would for the right guys, who can stick around. And I wouldn't be unhappy with this draft even if we had to pass on Rivers. I could live with Jacoby and Love.

• Like 2

Yeah, I’m buying into the Clowney and Harris signings too.  They make a lot of sense to me.  And while I’m warming to Love, I just can’t get to him being worth that #13 pick.  We’d be passing on a huge star to draft Love IMO - Kinlaw, Ruggs, Wirfs, Lamb, Becton.  That’s really good talent we’d have to pass on....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

Re-sign

Castonzo LT

Sign

Jadeveon Clowney DE 3-4 years

Shelby Harris DT 3 years

Philip Rivers QB- 1 year deal (maybe 2)- I should make a disclaimer that this is a win-now cap luxury choice. If we can't afford it, then he's actually the top person on this list I'd pass on. But I think he had a couple years in the tank and is an upgrade over Brissett.

Sammy Watkins- WR- 1-2 years I think he gets cut by the Cheifs and I think Funchess moves on. 

Draft

1. Jordan Love- QB- I had been harsh on Love in more recent weeks, but looking back more at some of his footage, there is just so much there to be optimistic about and his 2018 season proves he can take better care of the football. He needs to sit and having Rivers, Reich, and Siriani can do him wonders.

2a. Josh Jones- OT- As far as value goes here, one of the few remaining chances to groom an OT from this draft to replace AC. Could possibly have us kick Smith inside while he works the RT position.

2b. Denzel Mims- WR

3. Troy Pride Jr.- CB - A position that could use improvement and definitely needs more depth. He can still develop, but he had a good Senior Bowl week.

4. Harrison Bryant- TE- One my favorite TEs in the draft and he is still regularly projected fairly late. Dude just seems like he could be that monster TE we are lacking. I also would take Trautman if he is here.

5. Benito Jones- DT- I'm thinking he'd be more developed to be a 1T for us. His plus is that for a guy being projected this late he is a good run stopper who shows promise in the pass rush.

All remaining picks BPA.

So what does all this do?

‐ Helps us win more now, but also for the future.

-I can live with not getting Brown or Kinlaw if we get Clowney, Harris, and Love.

-the WR changes give us a nice variety of speed options and shiny new 6-3 WR who has speed on the outside and can also do the dirty work on the inside. I'm really high on Mims right now. Can't wait for the combine.

-Not a lot to address the secondary here other than I think Pride is destined for a starting role possibly even in year one. Him, Moore, Rock, and Desir gives me a lot of reassurance. Most pundits agree this draft is deepest in WR and DB and we might be foolish if we don't try to take advantage of that.

-We'd have a much more well-round roster with some real difference makers all around.

- criticizing my own works, I'd say my biggest concern in this is that CB as shown no inclination to ever be a big spender in FA. But I will say that he has said he would for the right guys, who can stick around. And I wouldn't be unhappy with this draft even if we had to pass on Rivers. I could live with Jacoby and Love.

Clowney signing with us is a pipe dream. Unless Luck comes back.
  Watkins being a Ballard guy would shock me.
  Some good ideas otherwise.

I wouldn’t go for Harris in FA. 28 years old and only one year of great production. This class is deep at IDL after Brown and Kinlaw too. I’d draft a guy who will be younger and cheaper. Remember Autry is still under contract. How much money do you really want to devote to the 3-tech spot?

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I wouldn’t go for Harris in FA. 28 years old and only one year of great production. This class is deep at IDL after Brown and Kinlaw too. I’d draft a guy who will be younger and cheaper. Remember Autry is still under contract. How much money do you really want to devote to the 3-tech spot?

28 isn't bad for a free agent. His contract may be a bit inflated due to his one year production boost but I do think he looks like an upgrade He's hitting his prime and I honestly think this team could use a few more guys in that late 20s range. On a 3 year deal he'd be 31 when his contract is up, that's not bad at all. I only agree with your assessment of the DTs through second maybe early 3rd round. I don't  see many guys who would match Harris beyond that and my approach was that you can't get everything you want. I had considered Jordan Elliot over Mims, but I then felt I would have had to go WR in the 3rd and I don't like passing up the good depth this draft had at CB, better than DT depth imo. And Autry will get 5 million this season, which is fine by me for DT depth. If Harris works out, Autry can walk after this season.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Clowney signing with us is a pipe dream. Unless Luck comes back.
  Watkins being a Ballard guy would shock me.
  Some good ideas otherwise.

I definitely acknowledge any high profile FA mock is a bit of a pipe dream. Though I don't think it's as out there as some think. If Clowney want to go to a good team for good money Indy could provide. Rivers could help his decision if the QB is a factor in that choice. But yeah, I'm sure there are over a dozen other teams thinking about how they can get him and Seattle is probably still the frontrunner.

As for Watkins, idk? I know doubt used the Ballard KC speed receivers speculation here. I guess I'd be interested in what you think Ballard wouldn't like about him. To me, I just think he'd have some similar concerns as he may have with Funchess but is just a different type of WR, but I chose that on the outlook that we target a bigger 6'3 WR in this draft. Maybe Claypool if not Mims, or Pittman later, the options are there.

But I get your points, Clowney is a aggressive FA choice that is probably the least likely to happen just due to cost and difficulty. But I do think he is one of the more likely of the high profile guys. Imo

On 2/25/2020 at 7:24 AM, Archer said:

Yeah, I’m buying into the Clowney and Harris signings too.  They make a lot of sense to me.  And while I’m warming to Love, I just can’t get to him being worth that #13 pick.  We’d be passing on a huge star to draft Love IMO - Kinlaw, Ruggs, Wirfs, Lamb, Becton.  That’s really good talent we’d have to pass on....

I'm with you here.  I'm not down on Love I just can't see taking a guy who may/may not work out at 13 over a guy who is actually a better overall player like the guys you mentioned.  They didn't do it with Nelson a couple of years ago when many said it was dumb to pick a guard that high and it worked out.  I would always go BPA.  It works out more than not.

P.S. I would throw Jeudy in there too.

• Like 1