Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If QB situation ended up like this?

Nate!

Was reading an article that was about the NFL landscape as it relates to QBs.  Went through those that will be stagnant or for sure one thing, then focused mostly on the teams with question marks.  Article ended with predictions as to what will happen with the teams currently in flux.  There’s a colts connection as can see what writer predicted there.  Think most here would hate it, but o honestly wouldn’t.  Thoughts if things played out like the below:

PREDICTIONS

Carolina – Marcus Mariota and Kyle Allen

Chicago – Mitchell Trubisky and Andy Dalton

Cincinnati – Joe Burrow

Cleveland – Baker Mayfield

Dallas – Dak Prescott

Detroit – Matthew Stafford and Teddy Bridgewater

Indianapolis – Jameis Winston and Jacoby Brissett

LA Chargers – Tyrod Taylor and Justin Herbert

Las Vegas – Derek Carr

Miami – Tua Tagovailoa and Ryan Fitzpatrick

New England – Tom Brady

New Orleans – Drew Brees and Taysom Hill

Tampa Bay – Philip Rivers

Tennessee – Ryan Tannehill

Washington – Alex Smith, Dwayne Haskins, and Cam Newton

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I am sooooooo NOT a Jameis Winston guy.   Not at all.   Want no part of him.

I think he’s just good enough to get you beat.   A coach killer. 

No.   Thank.    You. 

Same here. 

AND, for me? Same goes for Cam.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Talk about some out of the box projections.  He delivered on a few.  I find the Hill situation very interesting.  I think he stays with NO as long as he gets a 1st rd. tender.  But if they put a 2nd rd tender on him I think there is a good chance he gets another offer.  It doesn't have to be a huge offer to beat the tender offer.  But big enough to lure him away to compete for a starting job this year.  So I'm curious to see what tender they place on him and if in fact a team makes a move for him. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Talk about some out of the box projections.  He delivered on a few.  I find the Hill situation very interesting.  I think he stays with NO as long as he gets a 1st rd. tender.  But if they put a 2nd rd tender on him I think there is a good chance he gets another offer.  It doesn't have to be a huge offer to beat the tender offer.  But big enough to lure him away to compete for a starting job this year.  So I'm curious to see what tender they place on him and if in fact a team makes a move for him. 

Given his injury history, I think he'd be safe with a 2nd round tender. The $ amount between them isn't a big deal most times, but with NO's cap situation, a M extra might be too much.

19 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I disagree.  Winston is very accurate.  I mean he threw 30 picks to the opposing team.  Thats pretty darn accurate!!!!

What we need is a fusion  of winston and Brissett.  A qb that isn't  afraid to throw down the field,  but doesn't  throw many interceptions 

On 2/24/2020 at 10:17 PM, Nate! said:

Was reading an article that was about the NFL landscape as it relates to QBs.  Went through those that will be stagnant or for sure one thing, then focused mostly on the teams with question marks.  Article ended with predictions as to what will happen with the teams currently in flux.  There’s a colts connection as can see what writer predicted there.  Think most here would hate it, but o honestly wouldn’t.  Thoughts if things played out like the below:

PREDICTIONS

Carolina – Marcus Mariota and Kyle Allen

Chicago – Mitchell Trubisky and Andy Dalton

Cincinnati – Joe Burrow

Cleveland – Baker Mayfield

Dallas – Dak Prescott

Detroit – Matthew Stafford and Teddy Bridgewater

LA Chargers – Tyrod Taylor and Justin Herbert

Las Vegas – Derek Carr

Miami – Tua Tagovailoa and Ryan Fitzpatrick

New England – Tom Brady

New Orleans – Drew Brees and Taysom Hill

Tampa Bay – Philip Rivers

Tennessee – Ryan Tannehill

Washington – Alex Smith, Dwayne Haskins, and Cam Newton

Where does Josh Rosen go in this scenario?

17 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I wonder if some of Winstons interception problems was due to Bruce Arians style of offense?

I think there is a lot of truth to this. Bruce Arians said something during Lucks first year that his vertical offense creates more turnovers but it’s worth pushing the ball down the field.  If there is a turnover it’s like punting bc it’s downfield.  I may be forgetting important parts bc that has been quite awhile.  Obviously 30 interceptions by Winston is very bad and shows a lack of good decision making 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I wonder if some of Winstons interception problems was due to Bruce Arians style of offense?

Maybe some.  Winston did have a year where he threw a ton of TD's but also a ton of picks.  

But Winston has always had a problem with interceptions that pre-dated BA.  The only thing BA's offense did was increase both TD's and Int's.  

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

I would be very interested to see what Winston will be able to do after lasik surgery? You have to wonder how many of those ints where because of poor eyesight

I had an employee that blamed a lot on his eyesight.  Once he got glasses he made the same mistakes and his attendance became worse.  He actually said he was late once because he couldn’t see the clock.  Has nothing to do with this just like lasik surgery has anything to do with interceptions lol.  

On 2/26/2020 at 5:33 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

I had an employee that blamed a lot on his eyesight.  Once he got glasses he made the same mistakes and his attendance became worse.  He actually said he was late once because he couldn’t see the clock.  Has nothing to do with this just like lasik surgery has anything to do with interceptions lol.  

A bud I play soft ball with for years had eye surgery. He was a great ball player in HS, and just turned mediocre as hell over the course of 3-4 years (his bat and his D). Had surgery and he immediately returned to form. He said he could see better than ever (better than when he was a kid). That was in the last couple years. Also, back 90s, when they first started doing the surgery (RK?), a friend I grew up with had surgery. He lived alone and had to be looked after for a day in more or less darkness. He stayed in my basement for 2 days lol... When he "recovered", he almost cried. For the first time he could actually see it raining (the rain in the air), which he could not see even with glasses before. 

I have zero idea what condition Winston has, but the surgery can make almost literally a night and day difference. I'm sure Winston's is not as severe, but honestly we have zero idea what the impact might be.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

A bud I play soft ball with for years had eye surgery. He was a great ball player in HS, and just turned mediocre as hell over the course of 3-4 years (his bat and his D). Had surgery and he immediately returned to form. He said he could see better than ever (better than when he was a kid). That was in the last couple years. Also, back 90s, when they first started doing the surgery (RK?), a friend I grew up with had surgery. He lived alone and had to be looked after for a day in more or less darkness. He stayed in my basement for 2 days lol... When he "recovered", he almost cried. For the first time he could actually see it raining (the rain in the air), which he could not see even with glasses before. 

I have zero idea what condition Winston has, but the surgery can make almost literally a night and day difference. I'm sure Winston's is not as severe, but honestly we have zero idea what the impact might be.

Those are great stories but probably the exceptions more than the rule.  Hopefully Winston can salvage his career but I think he is a bad QB and makes terrible decisions.  He was knocked for his inability to read a defense coming out of college and he appears to still be struggling with that. Employees will come up with any excuse including blaming their own mother before admitting they aren’t good at their job. 

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Those are great stories but probably the exceptions more than the rule.  Hopefully Winston can salvage his career but I think he is a bad QB and makes terrible decisions.  He was knocked for his inability to read a defense coming out of college and he appears to still be struggling with that. Employees will come up with any excuse including blaming their own mother before admitting they aren’t good at their job. 

They are the only two people I know well that had the surgery, but it's pretty well known the improvements they can bring (we don't know how bad his eyes have gotten). He threw 40 TDs to 10 INTs in 2013 while still OC'd by Jimbo. That all changed when the swapped OCs. And Arian's motto is "no risk it, no biscuit", so not surprised by his INTs at TB. Luck set a rookie record for tossing INTs under Arian (first stint with Indy), and Luck improved a bunch after he left (second stint) in the INT department. Not saying none of is Winston's fault, but he's been in some risky schemes since 2013. And we really have no idea how bad his eyes are, if they worsened, and what the surgery will do.

On 2/24/2020 at 10:17 PM, Nate! said:

I'll take neither for $1,000 Alex. 

That's nearly $50 million tied up in salary cap at the qb positions, you do realize that right? No. Thanks. On either of them. Let JB walk and bring a veteran QB that isn't afraid to throw the ball 20 yards downfield and can see the field. Draft one this year if your heart desires. Do not force the qb issue. This is the year with so many hitting free agency, that it really shouldn't be a huge concern for this team. Rivers makes sense all fronts for 2 to 4 years. Is he a stop gap? Sort of. He gives us a legit chance of winning games now that JB and other options do not. Do we win with a rookie qb this year? Not necessarily. Rivers can win games now, which should be important to all of us. Continue building this roster through the draft by not forcing your hand, and continue to find great value in Free agency. This is the year to make a big splash or two and roll into training camp with a strong roster top to bottom.