Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 5 NFL draft qbs

Honestly all of the question marks are legit. Tua has the tangibles, and the mind to compete in the NFL, but that injury history...

If it weren’t for all the injuries he would be the favorite for #1 overall. To survive this game, he’s gotta learn to take care of his body on the field and throw the ball away.

The question has to be asked on how Burrow jumped so high after one year. Was it Joe Brady? The 9 other players on offense who will be drafted? He won’t be throwing at the combine either this week. 

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Honestly all of the question marks are legit. Tua has the tangibles, and the mind to compete in the NFL, but that injury history...

If it weren’t for all the injuries he would be the favorite for #1 overall. To survive this game, he’s gotta learn to take care of his body on the field and throw the ball away.

The question has to be asked on how Burrow jumped so high after one year. Was it Joe Brady? The 9 other players on offense who will be drafted? He won’t be throwing at the combine either this week. 

If i am the Bengals I would draft Young and walk away from Burrows unless I am offered a haul of draft picks.  He doesnt play at the Senior Bowl.  Now he wont throw at the combine. 

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If i am the Bengals I would draft Young and walk away from Burrows unless I am offered a haul of draft picks.  He doesnt play at the Senior Bowl.  Now he wont throw at the combine. 

He has no incentive to do it, especially since the things that he's best at are not on display there and the things that he's worst at(arm strength) is on display and in direct comparison with 3 other players with much better arm-strengths. He's the consensus no. 1 pick and he won't lose that position even if he did nothing until the draft. 

Bengals would be crazy to pass on Burrow. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

He has no incentive to do it, especially since the things that he's best at are not on display there and the things that he's worst at(arm strength) is on display and in direct comparison with 3 other players with much better arm-strengths. 

Why would they b crazy?  He has one year.....one-year of great tape.  He just screams bust to me.  I really believe he didnt want go to the Senior Bowl because he wouldnt stand out.   Go for Young and u get a super star. Burrows bust out and u have nothing.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

He has no incentive to do it, especially since the things that he's best at are not on display there and the things that he's worst at(arm strength) is on display and in direct comparison with 3 other players with much better arm-strengths. 

Lets play a game.  NFL players first 4 years are average at best.  Now in his 5th  and contract year he lights it up and has a very good year.  Would u pay him millions as a free agent based on 1 lights out year?  A good example is Armstead for the Niners.  Why is Burrows any different?  And at least Armstead had played in the NFL;  Burrows has not even played one year.

14 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

His tape isn't that bad from 18. Why would someone who knows they will be #1 overall risk injury during a game he doesn't need to play in. The senior bowl are for guys who have a chance to raise their stock, how do you raise past #1? The reason Baker played in the senior bowl was because he wasn't seen as a first overall until the day of the draft. Even if they decide against Burrow they still need a QB so they would be way better off taking Herbert than Young.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Why would they b crazy?  He has one year.....one-year of great tape.  He just screams bust to me.  I really believe he didnt want go to the Senior Bowl because he wouldnt stand out.   Go for Young and u get a super star. Burrows bust out and u have nothing.

Because Burrow is a great prospect at the most important position in football. Any player has some probability to bust(even Burrow and Chase Young). Burrow just had the best season of any QB in the history of college football. And he didn't do it against cupcake schedule. He did it against some of the best defenses in college football... Alabama, Florida, Auburn, Georgia, Clemson... and he destroyed all of them. He's shown incredible accuracy at all areas of the field, he showed exceptional pocket presence and movement ability both in the pocket and out of structure while leaving the pocket, he has the best timing and anticipation I've seen recently by any QB coming into the draft. He's the real deal IMO. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, twfish said:

His tape isn't that bad from 18. Why would someone who knows they will be #1 overall risk injury during a game he doesn't need to play in. The senior bowl are for guys who have a chance to raise their stock, how do you raise past #1? The reason Baker played in the senior bowl was because he wasn't seen as a first overall until the day of the draft. Even if they decide against Burrow they still need a QB so they would be way better off taking Herbert than Young.

Raise their stock?? Only the media is saying Burrows is the #1 pick.  U dont know if organizations have him locked in as the #1 pick. Those same scouts u cite as having him as the #1 pick, say his 2018 tape is 3r to 4th round material.  

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Lets play a game.  NFL players first 4 years are average at best.  Now in his 5th  and contract year he lights it up and has a very good year.  Would u pay him millions as a free agent based on 1 lights out year?  A good example is Armstead for the Niners.  Why is Burrows any different?  And at least Armstead had played in the NFL;  Burrows has not even played one year.

His 2018 season was not bad. He had some great games back then too. He just didn't have the game to game consistency. This year he had it, which is what you want to see - improvements. 

Also I do NOT accept that comparison. Those situations are nothing alike. NFL is not college, 2 years are not 4 years. QB is not DL. 27 year olds are not 22 year olds. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Because Burrow is a great prospect at the most important position in football. Any player has some probability to bust(even Burrow and Chase Young). Burrow just had the best season of any QB in the history of college football. And he didn't do it against cupcake schedule. He did it against some of the best defenses in college football... Alabama, Florida, Auburn, Georgia, Clemson... and he destroyed all of them. He's shown incredible accuracy at all areas of the field, he showed exceptional pocket presence and movement ability both in the pocket and out of structure while leaving the pocket, he has the best timing and anticipation I've seen recently by any QB coming into the draft. He's the real deal IMO. 

I am not at all diminishing his accomplishments.  What he and a loaded LSU team did was historical.  I just think it was one of those seasons when all the stars aligned and nothing went wrong.  I just dont think it will b duplicated when it comes to Burrows.  I do think as the draft gets closers, we will see more skeptics come out of the wood work.  Just a feeling

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

I am not at all diminishing his accomplishments.  What he and a loaded LSU team did was historical.  I just think it was one of those seasons when all the stars aligned and nothing went wrong.  I just dont think it will b duplicated when it comes to Burrows.  I do think as the draft gets closers, we will see more skeptics come out of the wood work.  Just a feeling

Burrow will go no. 1. You can book it now. 

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Absolutely....and I have been wrong numerous times in my life hahsha.  Do u like Eason?  Wow,  hes s beast.  He is kind of growing on me

I like him... he has almost everything. He gets a bit panicky under pressure. Not a bit actually... a lot. This is his main problem. He turns his back to the defense and tries to spin his way out of pressure and it goes badly a lot. He's not a statue and has some movement, but IMO off-structure plays are not going to be hallmark of his play. He will have to succeed mostly from the pocket. He'a a talented thrower of the football, though... might have the strongest arm in the class. 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

I like him... he has almost everything. He gets a bit panicky under pressure. Not a bit actually... a lot. This is his main problem. He turns his back to the defense and tries to spin his way out of pressure and it goes badly a lot. He's not a statue and has some movement, but IMO off-structure plays are not going to be hallmark of his play. He will have to succeed mostly from the pocket. He'a a talented thrower of the football, though... might have the strongest arm in the class. 

In some ways he may b the cleanest.  I think if a team can dissect his brain and fix how he plays under pressure, he could go really high.  He would b a big fit with the Colts strong O line.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

In some ways he may b the cleanest.  I think if a team can dissect his brain and fix how he plays under pressure, he could go really high.  He would b a big fit with the Colts strong O line.

Rumor is Arians wants him in Tampa bay

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Eason is a bigger question mark to me then Love. All I see is a big arm. That doesn’t cut it.

Hmmmmm....he is big and athletic.  Probably the best arm.  The biggest concerns is folding under prrssure.  Like u have always said, we can coach him up.

26 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Eason is a bigger question mark to me then Love. All I see is a big arm. That doesn’t cut it.

I also think people forget his marijuana incident. That is concerning to me as the article points out.  For a non qb,it really is not that big of a deal,, for a qb it is.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yeah, I would completely dismiss all the good stuff he put on tape 

The only way the Bengals don't take Joe Burrow is if they are dead set on throwing away the 2020 season and tanking for Trevor. If you could get a team like Carolina to trade their 1st this year and at least a couple of other first round picks. Then maybe you consider it, but there is no guarantee that you'll be back at 1 next year. There is no such thing as a "sure thing". No matter who you draft there are going to be questions but Joe Burrow looks like a legit NFL QB. I would be hard pressed to pass that up! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

The only way the Bengals don't take Joe Burrow is if they are dead set on throwing away the 2020 season and tanking for Trevor. If you could get a team like Carolina to trade their 1st this year and at least a couple of other first round picks. Then maybe you consider it, but there is no guarantee that you'll be back at 1 next year. There is no such thing as a "sure thing". No matter who you draft there are going to be questions but Joe Burrow looks like a legit NFL QB. I would be hard pressed to pass that up! 

Carolina's the team I see "tanking for Trevor".  They draft the best players they can this year that aren't QB's; they keep Cam Newton for his last year on his contract, cross their fingers he can play 8 games without getting hurt, and bingo, they can wind up with Trevor, who's playing just a couple/few hours down the road from Charlotte.

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

Carolina's the team I see "tanking for Trevor".  They draft the best players they can this year that aren't QB's; they keep Cam Newton for his last year on his contract, cross their fingers he can play 8 games without getting hurt, and bingo, they can wind up with Trevor, who's playing just a couple/few hours down the road from Charlotte.

If I were running Carolina and wanted to tank there is no way Cam Newton would be on my roster and I would probably look to see what I could get for Christian McCaffery. If you have a healthy Cam Newton and Christian McCaffery I think that you would win too many games to get the number one pick. I could be dead wrong but if the goal was to get Trevor Lawrence next year I wouldn't let Cam Newton see the field again.

28 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There seems to be some legitimacy thst Carolina is trying to move up to that number pick. I can believe this one since Joe Brady is at Carolina now. Will the Bengals move down. That would be really bad for the colts. Almost guarantees we wouldn’t get a QB in the first.

It won’t be the end of the world as long as talent is added and the QB position is addressed. 

I look at 2 teams that got a WR in the first 5 picks and a QB within the first 3 picks in Round 2 - AJ Green and Dalton, and Amari Cooper and Derek Carr. If they’d gone to better run organizations, I feel their W-L records could have been better. So, getting a guy you still like in Round 2 is not the end of the world.

Plus, if there’s a guy you like at No.34, would it really hurt us to give up a 5th rounder to move from 34 to 32 to clinch a 5th year option on a guy you like? Does that suddenly make him better because he’s now not a 2nd round guy?

If you’ve a talented roster, good GM and HC, and add a talented enough QB, you can win, even if it’s not in the Top 13 picks.