Indianapolis Colts
EastStreet

Colts Potential QB Preferences (poll and chat)

Colts Potential QB Preferences (poll)  

110 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What QBs (pick all that apply) do you absolutely NOT want to be the Colt's QB this season

2. 2. FA or Trade QB you'd want most (pick only one)

3. 3. Do you want a "game manager" type QB?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/01/2020 at 05:11 AM

I've seen a lot of debate all over the place, so here's a poll to help with the off season boredom. 

• Like 1

you forgot Brissett as one of the QBs you absolutely do not want starting for the Colts next year.

I needed that as one of the considerations.:D

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

you forgot Brissett as one of the QBs you absolutely do not want starting for the Colts next year.

I needed that as one of the considerations.:D

LOL,, we know via previous polls most want to move on, and I didn't want this to turn into another JB debate. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

LOL,, we know via previous polls most want to move on, and I didn't want this to turn into another JB debate. 

But it's like Thanksgiving without the turkey!

8 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

But it's like Thanksgiving without the turkey!

I'd be happy to never see another JB debate on this site lol.. 

I wish him well, but I'm ready to move on.

So pretty much as expected.

Least liked draft QBs - Hurts and Fromm

Least liked FA/Trade QBs - Dalton, Bridgewater, Newton (Brady is just respectful hate lol).

Most liked FA/Trade - Carr (with some love to Rivers and Stafford)

And the overwhelming majority don't want a game manager QB. 

This forum is going to be a nightmare all year when It becomes apparent JB is the starter.   I just don’t see anyone available that should obviously replace him without mortgaging the farm. This next move will decide the careers of Ballard and Reich and I’m betting they will be cautious to a fault. 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Stafford was my pick for the guy I'd most like to acquire. 

He was among my favorite options too. I voted Rivers not because I think he's the best QB, but because ultimately I feel like he's the best short-term realistic option that can be bridge toward a drafted QB and I think I'm all in on the "draft and develop a QB" bandwagon.

But if we can get Stafford and we are not worried by his injuries, I'd be happy with it. 

On 2/22/2020 at 10:08 PM, EastStreet said:

It should still be an option.  Otherwise you're going to get a skewed outcome

13 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

This forum is going to be a nightmare all year when It becomes apparent JB is the starter.   I just don’t see anyone available that should obviously replace him without mortgaging the farm. This next move will decide the careers of Ballard and Reich and I’m betting they will be cautious to a fault. 

Not only that, Ballard and Reich both like Brissett.  It's the fans and the media  that are driving this desperate effort to run Brissett out of town.  None of it is coming from inside the team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Stafford meets the most criteria's, he can play and he's not old. Carr would be close in this regard, but I think Stafford is better. Age being the primary knock on a Brady/Rivers move. 

I don't think it's realistic though. The Lions are going to want good picks for him. Rivers can just be had.

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

Not only that, Ballard and Reich both like Brissett.  It's the fans and the media  that are driving this desperate effort to run Brissett out of town.  None of it is coming from inside the team.

You don't know that and Ballard has left a big question mark on this subject by saying it's an open subject.

4 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I guess you've fallen for the smoke screen signal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I don’t really think anything too negative would make its way out regardless. Especially with how tight lipped it’s been under Ballard. 

I actually happen to think Reich is one of JB’s bigger fans, and I think Ballard’s okay with him starting for another year. But I just can’t see Ballard wanting to stake his job long term on JB.

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

He was among my favorite options too. I voted Rivers not because I think he's the best QB, but because ultimately I feel like he's the best short-term realistic option that can be bridge toward a drafted QB and I think I'm all in on the "draft and develop a QB" bandwagon.

But if we can get Stafford and we are not worried by his injuries, I'd be happy with it. 

That's fair, but if you trade for Stafford and draft a QB, if Stafford isn't outrageously good you still transition to the young guy by 2021, most likely. He's still under contract for 2022, so you can trade him and recoup some of what you gave up for him. And if he's great, he'll be 34 and you can realistically go in on a Stafford-centric team for another three years.

With Rivers, it's a one year situation, at most, especially if you draft a QB, because you're not going to hold back from getting your young guy on the field because Rivers has a good six weeks in 2020.

But, Rivers is a FA, and you'd have to trade for Stafford. In my calculus, I didn't account for the cost of acquiring the player, just went with who I thought would be best as our QB in 2020. But still, that extra season of contractual control + his age makes Stafford way more attractive for me, and I haven't even mentioned how much better of a passer I think he is at this point in their careers.

• Like 3

I voted for wanting a game manager QB, but that is not a proper description. 

What I don't want is a PM, a AL, or a Mahomes who feel compelled to try to score in less than 3 minutes each and every time they get the ball.

I want a QB that understands the other 21 players have the ability to make plays too, and will look to carry the team only in the last 3 to 4 minutes of each half, so to speak.

In that respect, I'd take a QB like Fromm over a QB like Tannehill, even though the pundits would likely describe each as a game manager..

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

You don't know that and Ballard has left a big question mark on this subject by saying it's an open subject.

He's had multiple opportunities to say "yeah, JB will be our QB in 2020," and he's declined to make anything resembling a definitive statement. In fact, he's kind of gone out of his way to say 'I'm NOT making a definitive statement.' 

If that's your idea of an endorsement... yikes. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's fair, but if you trade for Stafford and draft a QB, if Stafford isn't outrageously good you still transition to the young guy by 2021, most likely. He's still under contract for 2022, so you can trade him and recoup some of what you gave up for him. And if he's great, he'll be 34 and you can realistically go in on a Stafford-centric team for another three years.

IMO if you trade for Stafford you are not drafting a QB high any time soon... at least until you give up on Stafford. If you are trading for him you are going to have to give up a 1st + other stuff... this signifies "franchise QB" to me. Now, we can still draft mid-late round QBs, but IMO none of them will be drafted with the explicit expectation that they are the QB of the future... more like shots at cheap backup. 

With Rivers, it's a one year situation, at most, especially if you draft a QB, because you're not going to hold back from getting your young guy on the field because Rivers has a good six weeks in 2020.

But, Rivers is a FA, and you'd have to trade for Stafford. In my calculus, I didn't account for the cost of acquiring the player, just went with who I thought would be best as our QB in 2020. But still, that extra season of contractual control + his age makes Stafford way more attractive for me, and I haven't even mentioned how much better of a passer I think he is at this point in their careers.

Yeah, I think people are kind of underestimating Rivers because of his down year... now it's possible he's just fallen off the cliff, but lets not forget he was in the MVP discussion just one year ago along with Luck, Mahomes, Brees and Brady. Rivers is a VERY HIGH level QB and some of his best qualities don't depend on his throwing ability - it's his command of the offense, his pre-snap adjustments, processing the game and distributing ability from the pocket, etc. i.e. the mental game. His biggest problem this year was that he's lost some mobility over the last several years and his offensive line was one of the worst in the league and that IMO was the perfect storm for his season. I think he will benefit more from our OLine than be hurt by the advantage in weapons the Chargers had over this Colts team. 

I agree with you that we shouldn't let Rivers stop us from drafting and developing and eventually starting our future QB when he's ready, though. 

I get the appeal of Stafford, though and I personally would be happy with him as our QB, too. I like both options a lot actually. 

• Like 1

There are only 5 of those QBs I wouldn't want to see next year...and three are in this draft (Fromm and Gordon don't do it for me...and Eason seems more limited than I would like).

Of course there are varying degrees of acquisition to be considered as well. In a vacuum...give me Dak or Stafford all day.

@stitches

The thing with Rivers is you'd be counting on a 38-39 year old QB returning to where he was at 36-37 years old, which might have been his last stand as a high level QB. You're putting him on a team with not as many offensive weapons, and asking a volume passer to perform efficiently, when he's always been only moderately efficient.

Basically, we need Rivers to be the best version of himself, at the end of his career, on a new team for the first time. I'm not that optimistic that he'd perform at the level we'd need in 2020. I think it's far more likely that he's done at this point.

What he has going for him is that he's familiar with the staff and the offense (or at least 75% of it), and he is a high level mental QB with good ability to process and adjust before and during the play. 

Also, I think a trade comp for Stafford would be similar to what the Chiefs got for Alex Smith two years ago. That was a third + a young vet corner. For the Colts, that would be a third + Malik Hooker (not saying I would or would not trade Hooker for this kind of package, just referencing the cost). I don't think it would require a first rounder, but I could be wrong.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

@stitches

The thing with Rivers is ...

It's definitely possible he's done, but IMO even last year with that horrible pass protection he still played better than Jacoby. Overall I think he will give us better play EVEN IF he's taken a down turn at the end of his career and his best days are not coming back. But that's kind of the point for me... I'm not getting him with the idea of him being anything more than a bridge QB. If he can give us 1 year of better than Jacoby play and some mentorship of our young QB, I would be good with that. 

would be a third + Malik Hooker 

I kind of feel like they will be able to get better offer than that. I think the league thinks better of him than of Alex Smith at the time and he's younger than him too.. 

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's definitely possible he's done, but IMO even last year with that horrible pass protection he still played better than Jacoby. Overall I think he will give us better play EVEN IF he's taken a down turn at the end of his career and his best days are not coming back. But that's kind of the point for me... I'm not getting him with the idea of him being anything more than a bridge QB. If he can give us 1 year of better than Jacoby play and some mentorship of our young QB, I would be good with that. 

I kind of feel like they will be able to get better offer than that. I think the league thinks better of him than of Alex Smith at the time and he's younger than him too.. 

No question he's better than JB. But I'm not sure that translates into more wins, so his primary value is as a bridge to a young QB. I'd be fine with adding him, I just don't view him as someone that significantly raises the floor or ceiling for the team in 2020.

This is definitely new territory for a lot of Colts fans.  We have been spoiled watching Manning and luck for the last 20yrs.  The team has no identity and it’s not a very good year to need a QB.  The prospects all are sort of meh and the free agent market is absolutely terrible.  There really isn’t one QB rumored to be available that makes you say trade for them.  I really think this is going south before it gets better. We finally have a great OL just in time to watch them wasted on mediocrity team play starting with the QB.  I can’t speculate what they will do bc there are so many options.

Sadly, I don’t think any of them are the right option, just hope it’s the best choice considering the circumstances.  We have one of the best young GMs and a good coach that will probably lose their jobs in the next couple years bc no one was really available to play QB. We are 2-3yrs into a regime change and besides a few pieces not much has been solved...we can speculate potential all we want but question marks surround most position groups.  I will trust the process but we have seen time and again when the QB finally is chosen it’s a little too late and the front office and coach are fired to make an irate fan base happy. 

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Need to take a risk to get better, I hope they don't cling tightly to a 7-9 team

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I don’t really think anything too negative would make its way out regardless. Especially with how tight lipped it’s been under Ballard. 

I actually happen to think Reich is one of JB’s bigger fans, and I think Ballard’s okay with him starting for another year. But I just can’t see Ballard wanting to stake his job long term on JB.

IIn my mind it comes down to Irsay, not Ballard or Reich.  He's been the one making noise, and was the one who orchestrated that visit by Tom Brady. 

If he puts his foot down, Brissett is gone.  If Ballard still has muscle in the office though I think we'll draft a guy behind Brissett, jettison Hoyer, and start the season with Brissett and Kelly. 

From a purely dispassionate standpoint as a GM you have to look at the roster we have and decide whether we're a playoff team next year.  And honestly, the roster has a lot of strength but some pretty glaring weaknesses, especially on offense, that will take more than a new QB to sort out.

All of the best possible solutions to the QB issues involve waiting 1 more year.  We need to see what we have with Kelly.  I want to see what Brissett does with a healthy year.  We need to see who we draft and how that draftee develops. And anyway, it might take more than 1 season to sort out the massive trainwreck at WR and regenerate the team at TE.

The one thing above all others I don't want is to force a rookie QB to learn on the job with no recourse if that plan fails.  One of the smartest ways to do that is to not waste the resources we've already spent on Brissett in order to make a knee-jerk move for a name brand guy  for just 1-2 bridge years.

I think we solve our QB issues in the draft, and use next year to measure the strength of the roster and bring the new QB up to speed in a conservative manner, taking our sweet time to get him ready to go before we throw him to the wolves. 

If we wind up playing above ourselves and making the playoffs so be it but this team is still quite young, and I think the #1 goal is to develop our young personnel into professionals.  if we do it right a playoff appearance will be the obvious consequence anyway.  It's the decision to panic and play mad scientist on a rebuild that by and large is working beautifully so far, that will lead to disaster.

25 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

IIn my mind it comes down to Irsay, not Ballard or Reich.  He's been the one making noise, and was the one who orchestrated that visit by Tom Brady.

What?

• Like 1

I voted no to Tua (because of his history with injuries), no to Herbert, Fromm, Hurts, Eason, Gordon as well regarding the college QB's, no to Dalton, Bridgewater, Newton, Brady and Brees are too old. I want nothing to do with any of them.

I voted wanting Carr. To me he is above average, still young (only 28), and at times is more than just a game manager. The only college QB I would take in this draft beside Burrow is Love. I have watched a ton of film on Love, his 2018 season was incredible when he had a team around him. I would be ok with the following = Stafford, Rivers for 2 years, Tannehill, and Prescott.

I voted NO to just wanting a total game manager like JB. I like JB (hell of a backup and can give you a few good games as a starter) but it is time to move on IMO.

9 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

It should still be an option.  Otherwise you're going to get a skewed outcome

First, the poll is about "potential" QB preferences aimed at outside preference. We've had plenty of polls about "to JB" or "not to JB", team needs, etc.... and we don't need to rehash it (the results are very clear).

Second, the few that wanted to keep JB in previous polls will be a small skew. Chalk it up to +/- whatever % if you'd like. I didn't want the overwhelming majority to be detracted in the primary goal of the poll by a few JB fan club members. 

I get it, you're one of the small minority that's ride or die with JB, so feel free to create your own poll, and plead your case a 100 more times. Since the majority clearly picked QB as the biggest team need, this poll is trying to understand what folks want to do given that majority opinion. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Superman said:

Stafford was my pick for the guy I'd most like to acquire. 

Mine, too. Carr *might* be OK, maybe.

I like Jacoby for his personality, intelligence and potential. But, he has practiced and perfected his bad habits to the point that I don't believe he can overcome them.

I only want Jordan love or herbert  no one else . I would still rather have car over Jacoby throwing 100 passing yards a game.   Only chance for colts to win a superbowl next year is jordan love . Kid has elway arm talent 

The only FA/Trade veteran I voted for was Rivers.... due to his history with Reich.... and that there is no ambiguity as to him being a bridge QB.

I would have voted Stafford, who is only 32, but the Lions GM has adamantly stated he's NOT trading Stafford.....that is unless he's adamantly lying through his teeth.... which is entirely possible.

Anyway.... I'm open to any of these rookies if Ballard and Reich decide to draft one of them.... and whoever that is can learn under Rivers for a season, or perhaps until Week 8 if we have a lousy record at mid-season.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

The only FA/Trade veteran I voted for was Rivers.... due to his history with Reich.... and that there is no ambiguity as to him being a bridge QB.

I would have voted Stafford, who is only 32, but the Lions GM has adamantly stated he's NOT trading Stafford.....that is unless he's adamantly lying through his teeth.... which is entirely possible.

Anyway.... I'm open to any of these rookies if Ballard and Reich decide to draft one of them.... and whoever that is can learn under Rivers for a season, or perhaps until Week 8 if we have a lousy record at mid-season.

Yup, Rivers is my favorite as a bridge/mentor to combo with a draft pick. Carr/Stafford (either) would be my favorite if we're not drafting and looking for medium term guy. I'm perfectly OK with either type scenario. 

• Like 1

Can't wrap my head around why anyone would want Rivers. Beyond me. Seriously?

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, rayski said:

Can't wrap my head around why anyone would want Rivers. Beyond me. Seriously?

None of this QB situation is ideal... so I get what you're saying.

But here's the deal.... Rivers has worked with Reich and Sirianni before and know the system, and can mentor whichever of these new guys we might wind up with. 

And at the same time.... Rivers gives us a puncher's chance in any game, provided we aren't racked up with injuries at WR again.

It's strictly a 1-2 year play at most.... and probably the best one among the veterans, IMO.

On pure talent? I would take Stafford at 32 years old.... but the Lions GM is on record as saying he isn't trading him...so it isn't realistic.

Carr is okay too... but the draft capital and $$$ for him or Stafford won't be as team friendly as a free agent deal with Rivers.

That's my rationale anyway.:dunno:

58 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

None of this QB situation is ideal... so I get what you're saying.

But here's the deal.... Rivers has worked with Reich and Sirianni before and know the system, and can mentor whichever of these new guys we might wind up with. 

And at the same time.... Rivers gives us a puncher's chance in any game, provided we aren't racked up with injuries at WR again.

It's strictly a 1-2 year play at most.... and probably the best one among the veterans, IMO.

On pure talent? I would take Stafford at 32 years old.... but the Lions GM is on record as saying he isn't trading him...so it isn't realistic.

Carr is okay too... but the draft capital and $$$ for him or Stafford won't be as team friendly as a free agent deal with Rivers.

That's my rationale anyway.:dunno:

Rivers is not a mentor, hardly a captain of a team either. Stafford has energy and leadership at least.

id want tua or herbert the most of anyone, and would be willing to trade up 

if going the free agent route then Tom Brady TB12 would my first choice :peek:

i doubt carr or stafford will be available but wont be mad if we end up with them