Indianapolis Colts

So tell me this, would CB be evaluating QBs for first round consideration early this season?  If so, then he has had questions about JB early on.  And if CB was at USU last year, what does that say?

IMO every team without a clearcut franchise QB(or a prospect that can turn into one) needs to be evaluating all the highly rated QBs in the draft... and maybe even in future drafts. 

About JB- of course he had questions. 1 year extension does not tell me "you are my franchise QB"... it tells me "lets see what you can do". 

I don't know if Ballard was at USU last year. I have not heard that. I know he was supposed to travel to Logan, Utah to watch Utah State vs Boise State on Nov. 23 2019. This is during the season and to me it means serious interest. It doesn't mean he loves him, but it means he's taken seriously enough to take away serious time from an NFL GMs schedule mid-NFL season. Maybe he evaluates him and ends up not liking him, but IMO at the very least it means they think he's one of the premier QBs of this class and needs to be evaluated one way or another. 

To me, it says that he probably at least started off by thinking of Love as a small school developmental QB that could be had in the mid rounds as a back up to Luck or JB.  He wouldn't be thinking first round draft choice early in the season, IMO, and certainly not last season. 

If so, who knows if CB has changed his opinion or not?

Again - no idea where you got that idea that he was into Love last year. The first I heard about him having interest in Love is this September AFTER Luck retired. 

On 2/21/2020 at 5:41 PM, Chloe6124 said:

This doesn't surprise me.  From my understanding the big knock on Easton is that he doesn't handle pressure too well.  Obviously that's a big deal but at the same time, it's an issue that can be corrected and if you managed to ignore that issue or presume that the issue is corrected then he looks really freaking good.

And another thing to keep in mind that most people's #2 player Tua's major issues are injury and size and those are issues that CAN NOT be corrected.  

Coaches want to coach so they are going to prefer a player who has all the tools and problems that they can fix than a player with those tools but problems they can't do anything about. 

11 hours ago, chad72 said:

I do think the baseline level of talent is far greater than at the NFL level to make a statement like that because you do not have that huge a disparity in talent from Team No.1 to Team No.32 like between LSU and Utah State. He could have still made better decisions, no doubt but just pointing it out it is apples and oranges.

It's not as though they played LSU every game, Chad, so I'm not exactly sure where you were going with it.  I believe they played two ranked opponents each of the past two seasons.  The point is when the talent around him dropped, his play plummeted and the team sank.  If you're looking for an elite, franchise QB, that's not a good sign.  

17 minutes ago, #12. said:

It's not as though they played LSU every game, Chad, so I'm not exactly sure where you were going with it.  I believe they played two ranked opponents each of the past two seasons.  The point is when the talent around him dropped, his play plummeted and the team sank.  If you're looking for an elite, franchise QB, that's not a good sign.  

Where I am going with it is that you cannot extrapolate that reasoning as black and white and apply it to the NFL like apples to apples. If LSU's talent were No.1 worthy, Utah State in 2018 could have been a Top 30 team talent wise but barely a Top 80 team in 2019, talent wise. That level of talent disparity does not exist in the NFL, where even the worst team is somewhat competitive, though not at key moments to make enough plays to win enough.

It would be like asking Andrew Luck playing with a new O-line and new WRs made out of CFL squad guys that haven't played together at best the next year, and Luck's play would plummet and he would be forced to take more chances to win thus leading to more mistakes as well, that does not make him a QB with less than elite traits. Every elite QB needs some weapons around him worth something, and unlike the NFL where the elite QB has the luxury of a little more continuity and stability of offensive systems or at least 60-70% of guys returning, that is not a luxury a college team has, let alone Utah State.

Besides, even Joe Burrow is not a generational prospect to say he could be elite. You don't get elite overnight even if you are Peyton Manning, who at least got to start several years with continuity at Tennessee. It takes a few years of chemistry and continuity to get to a good floor, and then get to elite, even if it is sitting a year or more like Rodgers and Mahomes. The college game is not the same to say "elite here in college translates to elite here in the NFL". That is flawed thinking and "broad brushing" extrapolation. If you still agree to disagree, be my guest, I think I have explained my point as well as I can.

13 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I would expect that to have an effect, but if those changes cause him to go from looking like a really good QB to a below average QB, then I'd say he wasn't a really good QB to begin with.  And when you watch his 2018 games you see his WRs and RBs bailed him out of a lot poor throws.  He was also asked to make decisions based on his reading of the defense.  That factors in as much as working with new players.

Again, I would expect it to have an effect, but I also thing his numbers looked better in 2018 than his skill level because of the type of offense that Utah State ran.

Basically, I do not think he is as bad as he looked in 2019, but unlike most people who want the Colts draft Love, I also do not think he is a s good as he looked in 2018.

Just an "effect".. Ok lol. And you didn't answer the question about how JB would look with all new starters along the OL, RB, WR, and TE... How many times did we listen to people saying JB just needed good WRs, while still having a top 5 OL, top 10 running game, and two of the better TEs in the league. We even had to listen to some blame the OL which was the hot take of the year...

Out of Love's top 3 WRs, two had zero stars (247 recruiting composite), and the only one to have any stars was the transfer from Utah who couldn't manage to start in 4 years... One of his top 3 WRs ran a 4.96 40 time (Nathan) lol.... Another, Thompkins, ran a 4.71 lol... Both are horribly slow for a WR. And both were small as hell (5-7, and 5-8)... An "effect" lol... Pascal, our slowest WR runs a 4.55.... That alone is huge, and that doesn't even begin to weight the OL, RB, D, coaches, scheme, etc.. 

13 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't know if CB is projecting any outward interest towards Love per se.  Its probably common knowledge by now that he/scouts have been to Love's games....I think early in the year or even last year.  So the public chatter is out there.  Its why he was asked the question in the first place, because the questioner knows he's interested, and its public knowledge.

So tell me this, would CB be evaluating QBs for first round consideration early this season?  If so, then he has had questions about JB early on.  And if CB was at USU last year, what does that say?

To me, it says that he probably at least started off by thinking of Love as a small school developmental QB that could be had in the mid rounds as a back up to Luck or JB.  He wouldn't be thinking first round draft choice early in the season, IMO, and certainly not last season. 

If so, who knows if CB has changed his opinion or not?

After the 2018 season, Love was considered a 1st round talent, not a mid rounder.

We have guys at all kinds of college games, it's what hey are paid to do. We actually have guys devoted to college scouting, and specific guys devoted to multiple regions. 

Matt Terpening Assistant Director of College Scouting

Mike Derice Area Scout

Chad Henry Area Scout

Byron Lusby Area Scout

Chris McGaha Area Scout

Jamie Moore Area Scout

Anthony Coughlan College Scouting Coordinator

Mike Lacy NFS Scout

Tyler Hughes Area Scout

Zerick Rollins Scouting Assistant

Anthony Foyt IV Scouting Assistant

I have no doubt that CB wasn't all in on JB early, and was scouting all kinds of QBs. The only difference, is when you go to Utah St, it's pretty obvious who you're there to see. When our scouts go to LSU, Bama, or Oregon for example, there are a bunch of players from their teams and likely from the opposing team, that we "could" be there to see. And scouts are mainstays at those schools so nobody cares of has a second though. Bama and LSU even have suites IIRC dedicated for pro scouts. Utah St however, small, and in the middle of nowhere, it's noticeable and big news.

12 hours ago, #12. said:

That's one way to look at it.  Here's the other way.  To win consistently over many years in the NFL you need a QB who can carry you when the talent isn't there.  That's the mark of an elite, franchise QB.  That's what you're looking for in a QB.  You're not going to have a top 10 defense every year.  You're not going to have all 5 O-linemen play every snap every year.   The fact that Love crashed out with diminished talent at that level gives me little faith he could be a true elite QB who could carry a team at the NFL level.  

That said,  I'm not anti-Love.  With where we are in the draft, I would be okay with it.  I'm just not quite as excited as others are about Love.  

Every single position crashed out (plus coaches and scheme)..... lol.. the only returning starter was an in-year injury replacement. Tiny and horribly slow no-star WRs (4.7s-4.9s and 5-7 and 5-8)... This wasn't one group crashing. It was every single thing around him. I'm not saying Love will be all that, but not being realistic about what happened in 2019 is, like I said, disingenuous. 

I don’t think Jordan Love is a first round talent.  Not #13 quality. Anyone with a whopping 17 interceptions in his senior season has no business going in the 1st round...period.  Ballard says you can’t force it with QBs in the draft. Taking Love at 13 or higher would be doing just that in my opinion.  We get better value taking someone like Eason in the second and either trading back or taking the best player available on our board in the first round.  By the time the Colts first pick comes I doubt that best player available will be Love.  So don’t force it.

11 hours ago, stitches said:

IMO if he likes him enough to take him at 13 he probably will like him enough to trade up in front of Oakland in order to secure him and not risk him getting picked by Gruden. This is just how it usually goes. Teams usually don't wait on QBs, they go get the QB they like. Now maybe "go get him" will mean draft BPA at 13 and then trade up from 34 to the 1st to get him if he thinks he will fall a bit because he seems like a developmental prospect. 

There's almost always a line drawn. I have no clue what he's willing to do. 13 may be the absolute most he's willing to go for Love. Could be 34 too, or could be willing to move up or back from 13. It'll be interesting.

32 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just an "effect".. Ok lol. And you didn't answer the question about how JB would look with all new starters along the OL, RB, WR, and TE... How many times did we listen to people saying JB just needed good WRs, while still having a top 5 OL, top 10 running game, and two of the better TEs in the league. We even had to listen to some blame the OL which was the hot take of the year...

Out of Love's top 3 WRs, two had zero stars (247 recruiting composite), and the only one to have any stars was the transfer from Utah who couldn't manage to start in 4 years... One of his top 3 WRs ran a 4.96 40 time (Nathan) lol.... Another, Thompkins, ran a 4.71 lol... Both are horribly slow for a WR. And both were small as hell (5-7, and 5-8)... An "effect" lol... Pascal, our slowest WR runs a 4.55.... That alone is huge, and that doesn't even begin to weight the OL, RB, D, coaches, scheme, etc.. 

Thanks for point out effect, I hate when don't spell check.

I did answer your question, I said it was one of the reasons.  Starting with an entire new team probably had as much to do with his poor numbers and being asked to be a QB and read the defense pre snap, make a change at the line and then go through his progressions after the snap rather than having the WR determined before the snap as happens most time in the air raid system that he played in the year before.

So to summarize, in 2018 he out up good numbers and played well because he was a good QB it had nothing to do with his receivers bailing him out on numerous plays or an offensive system that gives college QBs huge numbers.

But in 2019 he put up poor numbers and didn't play well because of the offensive system and his receivers weren't talented enough to bail him out on numerous plays.  And oh yeah, in 2019 he had a much better running game in 2019 so you think that would have taken some of the pressure off him but he still put up poor numbers.  But like most people who want Love because someone made the comparison to Patrick Mahomes, the blame for his poor play falls on everyone but Love, while his 2018 is ALL because of Love, because that makes perfect sense.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Thanks for point out effect, I hate when don't spell check.

I did answer your question, I said it was one of the reasons.  Starting with an entire new team probably had as much to do with his poor numbers and being asked to be a QB and read the defense pre snap, make a change at the line and then go through his progressions after the snap rather than having the WR determined before the snap as happens most time in the air raid system that he played in the year before.

So to summarize, in 2018 he out up good numbers and played well because he was a good QB it had nothing to do with his receivers bailing him out on numerous plays or an offensive system that gives college QBs huge numbers.

But in 2019 he put up poor numbers and didn't play well because of the offensive system and his receivers weren't talented enough to bail him out on numerous plays.  And oh yeah, in 2019 he had a much better running game in 2019 so you think that would have taken some of the pressure off him but he still put up poor numbers.  But like most people who want Love because someone made the comparison to Patrick Mahomes, the blame for his poor play falls on everyone but Love, while his 2018 is ALL because of Love, because that makes perfect sense.

First off, the running game took a huge step back in 2019. Not sure where you got that it was better in 2019, but you're way wrong. His 2018 RB (Thompson) got drafted, and had 1100+ yards in 2018, plus another 900ish from Bright in 2018. With Thompson gone, Bright only had 900ish again in 2019, and their #2 only had 500ish. So to summarize, 2000ish from RB1+RB2 in 2018, and 1500ish in 2019. 

Also, not sure if you're familiar with typical WR measurables. but 4.7 and 4.9 is comically horrible. No WR in 2019 over 4.6 was drafted.  And that slow at 5-8 and 5-9 is beyond horrible. 

But no, you didn't answer the question so I'll ask again. How would JB perform with all new starters (never started before), and a new scheme and new coaches? What would his record in 2019 have been? Or would he have mastered the new scheme and raised the performance of his OL and skill players LOL...

2 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I don’t think Jordan Love is a first round talent.  Not #13 quality. Anyone with a whopping 17 interceptions in his senior season has no business going in the 1st round...period.  Ballard says you can’t force it with QBs in the draft. Taking Love at 13 or higher would be doing just that in my opinion.  We get better value taking someone like Eason in the second and either trading back or taking the best player available on our board in the first round.  By the time the Colts first pick comes I doubt that best player available will be Love.  So don’t force it.

Matt Ryan threw 19 picks his senior year at BC and went #3 overall..

• Like 2