Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Turay the next great pass rusher?

CR91

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. It was Mathis. After I posted that, I did a little googling. I really hope he is spenidng time with Banogu too. Honestly I thought Turay was a better prospect than Banogu. I think Banogu was more raw, came from a team known for a scheme that lacks technique, and a conference known for it's lack of D. 

I'm optimistic about Turay's chances of being a 3 down guy, but a lot leess optimistic about Banogu being an impact guy. Regardless, he should be better in 2020. I think perhaps the FO got to cute with it's evaluation of Banogu given all the SAM talk. Hope he flips the switch in 2020 though. 

I agree 100% on an iDL. IMO, a legit 3 tech would absolutely transform our D from frontend to backend.

Not sure how much Mathis is training with Colts now, but this article suggests he helped Banogu out a bit last off-season.  I have seen videos of Turay with Mathis during rehab.  It sounds like Mathis has a sports performance center somewhere in Indy and at least a few of the current players go there for consulting.  https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/25/indianapolis-colts-ben-banogu-robert-mathis-trained-offseason/

And agreed on Banogu.  I think he may be a bit more athletic than Turay (a couple inches shorter, but I think he's slightly faster, quicker and stronger).  However, it always seems to be a risk taking a guy from that kind of 'read and react' D who got by on athleticism is college and seeing how they translate to the NFL.  Not that they went to the same school or even play the same position, but Banugo reminds me somewhat of Le'Raven Clark -- an athlete with a lot of potential but with little idea of how he's going to wind up as an NFL player.  He's got a lot of learning/developing to do to translate his athleticism into an NFL-caliber ball player.

28 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Not sure how much Mathis is training with Colts now, but this article suggests he helped Banogu out a bit last off-season.  I have seen videos of Turay with Mathis during rehab.  It sounds like Mathis has a sports performance center somewhere in Indy and at least a few of the current players go there for consulting.  https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/25/indianapolis-colts-ben-banogu-robert-mathis-trained-offseason/

Yup, he stepped away from being full time, but still has the consultant title. I'm sure he's still involved but also doing his own thing too. He stepped away right around the time he was arrested IIRC. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not, but I'm glad he's still in the mix. Hoping players are choosing to spend their off seasons training at his place. I know he's helping the kid from Cathedral prep for the draft IIRC.

28 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

And agreed on Banogu.  I think he may be a bit more athletic than Turay (a couple inches shorter, but I think he's slightly faster, quicker and stronger).  However, it always seems to be a risk taking a guy from that kind of 'read and react' D who got by on athleticism is college and seeing how they translate to the NFL.  Not that they went to the same school or even play the same position, but Banugo reminds me somewhat of Le'Raven Clark -- an athlete with a lot of potential but with little idea of how he's going to wind up as an NFL player.  He's got a lot of learning/developing to do to translate his athleticism into an NFL-caliber ball player.

I really have no problem with taking a shot at one "project" per draft, but I'd prefer we do it later than the 2nd. I agree on your comparison. Measurables only get you so far. The draft and UDFA are littered with athletic freaks that just couldn't put it together on the field at the NFL level. Ballard has drafted 3 DEs in the first 3 rounds in three years, I just wish we had more to show.

On 2/21/2020 at 10:47 AM, CR91 said:

Well I did watch Turay and along with Houston, they applied a lot of pressure on Mahomes to get him off his spot.

Chiefs were missing their starting LT, Fisher, that game.  Schwartz is a good RT but Turray typically lines up on the defensive right side, so no he wasn't going against a top tier tackle most of the time in that game.

Plus, like Dungy was fond of saying, the most important ability is availability and Turray has not shown that ability yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Chiefs were missing their starting LT, Fisher, that game.  Schwartz is a good RT but Turray typically lines up on the defensive right side, so no he wasn't going against a top tier tackle most of the time in that game.

Plus, like Dungy was fond of saying, the most important ability is availability and Turray has not shown that ability yet.

He's still one of the best young linemen in the league

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

It's fine that you think that, but there are not many people who would agree.

he may have the potential to be, but he has not shown or reached that potential yet.... not even close to it actually.

I'm not the only one that thinks so. The super bowl crew were raving about him too. Look regardless, the point of my post was to show how much Turay was improving before he got hurt. Time will tell how good he'll may or may not be.