Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

More Derek Carr Rumors

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

and some in here think Carr wouldn't be an upgrade. What the hell they watching. I like JB but Carr is better and an upgrade. With Carr we are definitely a 10-6 team IMO.

It really wouldnt take much of an upgrade for the Colts to have made the playoffs. They act like JB won less than 5 games and that we need another elite level franchise QB. The fact that the Colts have a top 5 running game, a top 5 oline, should make us fans feel a whole lot better about this team with an above average QB. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

It really wouldnt take much of an upgrade for the Colts to have made the playoffs. They act like JB won less than 5 games and that we need another elite level franchise QB. The fact that the Colts have a top 5 running game, a top 5 oline, should make us fans feel a whole lot better about this team with an above average QB. 

I agree, JB is even capable of winning 9 or 10 games if everything goes right but Carr can win 10 games with the team even struggling with the run game at times imo.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, JB is even capable of winning 9 or 10 games if everything goes right but Carr can win 10 games with the team even struggling with the run game at times imo.

I think the far fetched idea is that Brady even signs with the Raiders. I just find that hard to believe. 

• Like 1

Just now, NannyMcafee said:

I think the far fetched idea is that Brady even signs with the Raiders. I just find that hard to believe. 

It probably is far fetched because it is hard to believe that Gruden would just give up on a 28 yr old Carr but Brady is the GOAT or top 3 ever (Peyton/Montana) so he will sell tickets in Vegas and could lead the Raiders to a deep playoff run?

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IMO he can't. Carr is a supplementary type of QB, not a foundation type of QB. We will need to still build the offense around the run game and build play action shots, RPOs, etc off of that. He's essentially what Jacoby was... only better, more accurate, quicker processing the game, etc. 

I would love to get Carr in a Colts uni if they don't have to give up more than a 3rd round pick for him, and I'm not sure they would.  I think the Raiders are so set to move on they would take about anything really.  If Brady really does hit the market watch out for that!  The only question would be how many others teams would be interested.

Carr is not a superhero.  Nobody is saying he is.  But he is very accurate and can go downfield when necessary.  He had hardly anybody to throw to last year.  His numbers steadily declined the minute the Raiders traded away Amari Cooper, and I don't think that was fair to him.  I'm not even sure what the heck the Raiders are doing as they also got rid of Mack in his prime too.

I guess the other question to ask yourself is who would you rather have: Jacoby Brissett, one of the rookie QB's from 4th best to 6th best, or Derrick Carr?  For that matter, I suppose you could throw in guys like Bridgewater, Dalton, maybe even Stafford.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It probably is far fetched because it is hard to believe that Gruden would just give up on a 28 yr old Carr but Brady is the GOAT or top 3 ever (Peyton/Montana) so he will sell tickets in Vegas and could lead the Raiders to a deep playoff run?

I just dont know that Brady A: wants to be a raider or B: wants to live near or in LV. I have no doubt that Gruden wants Brady. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

IMO he can't. Carr is a supplementary type of QB, not a foundation type of QB. We will need to still build the offense around the run game and build play action shots, RPOs, etc off of that. 

Go back and look at Carr's 2016 season. He was in the MVP discussion. Carr isn't good, very good, or great but he easily above average and an upgrade over JB.

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

IMO he can't. Carr is a supplementary type of QB, not a foundation type of QB. We will need to still build the offense around the run game and build play action shots, RPOs, etc off of that. 

So my question is would you take an offseason where they trade for Carr, which in my opinion fixes the QB situation, and then build in the draft with BPA and select FA signing. Or are you locked on Love. Lol

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

I would love to get Carr in a Colts uni if they don't have to give up more than a 3rd round pick for him, and I'm not sure they would.  I think the Raiders are so set to move on they would take about anything really.  If Brady really does hit the market watch out for that!  The only question would be how many others teams would be interested.

Carr is not a superhero.  Nobody is saying he is.  But he is very accurate and can go downfield when necessary.  He had hardly anybody to throw to last year.  His numbers steadily declined the minute the Raiders traded away Amari Cooper, and I don't think that was fair to him.  I'm not even sure what the heck the Raiders are doing as they also got rid of Mack in his prime too.

I guess the other question to ask yourself is who would you rather have: Jacoby Brissett, one of the rookie QB's from 4th best to 6th best, or Derrick Carr?  For that matter, I suppose you could throw in guys like Bridgewater, Dalton, maybe even Stafford.

Also Carr recently came out and said that he wants to go downfield more. The offense has not allowed for that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Carr is above average, borderline good at times. I would give up our 34th and 75th for him. That still leaves us our 13th, 44th, and the rest of our picks.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stitches said:

IMO he can't. Carr is a supplementary type of QB, not a foundation type of QB. We will need to still build the offense around the run game and build play action shots, RPOs, etc off of that. He's essentially what Jacoby was... only better, more accurate, quicker processing the game, etc. 

You just mentioned all of the reasons why they would be interested in Carr and Teddy as well since he also has been referred to as being similar to JB but better.  They were happy to have JB as the backup to Luck.  No reason to think they wouldn't want an even better version of him as their new QB.   

27 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

That's easy for me.  I would rather have Carr, Bridgewater or Stafford any day over this years class of 4th best to 6th best.  This QB class is not that good.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stitches said:

I think Rivers is a better player than Carr, and I think he fits better in what Reich's teams have ran before Brissett. There, I said it. And we can have him for free... well... not free free, but only for his salary. I think he gives us better chance to make deep runs in the playoffs than Carr. 

But yeah... that's just my opinion. Possible I'm wrong and Rivers has truly taken a nosedive never to return from, but... oh well... I would bet on him being able to run an efficient offense behind one of the best OLines in the league... something he's not had recently in his career. Rivers is 1 year removed from having an exceptional year in 2018 where he was on par with the best of the best QBs in the league... talking about Wilson, Luck, Brady, Mahomes, Brees level year. 

Nah current  carr is better than the aging rivers

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Go back and look at Carr's 2016 season. He was in the MVP discussion. Carr isn't good, very good, or great but he easily above average and an upgrade over JB.

I mean... if Jacoby is above average, Carr is definitely above average. :P I kid, I kid... he may be in the range around top 15 QB in the league, so maybe he's "above average", but again that doesn't tell us much. This is a ranking relative to the rest of the QBs, the real questions are - what can he do and what can he give you, what type of offense he can run and in what role will he be successful? I thought he was very successful in the role Gruden gave him this last year. I'm not sure it's the role that is conducive to consistent long-term winning. He definitely is upgrade on JB, though, I never said otherwise. 

27 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So my question is would you take an offseason where they trade for Carr, which in my opinion fixes the QB situation, and then build in the draft with BPA and select FA signing. Or are you locked on Love. Lol

I'm not locked on Love. I am locked on draft a talented high potential QB that we can develop and become our franchise QB. Whoever Ballard likes best, I will be cool with. I don't think Carr solves our long-term QB questions, so... I'd be OK trading for him as a bridge QB(3d round pick or later?), not as a franchise QB(1st? 2nd?). 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You just mentioned all of the reasons why they would be interested in Carr and Teddy as well since he also has been referred to as being similar to JB but better.  They were happy to have JB as the backup to Luck.  No reason to think they wouldn't want an even better version of him as their new QB.   

JB was traded for as an emergency measure when they realized Luck won't be ready in 2017 and they started him in 2019 as an emergency measure after Luck retired. I don't think JB is the type of QB they imagine as the engine for the offense. Go listen to Frank Reich's introductory pressconference about what kind of offense he wants to run and ask yourself if he's describing JB-type of QB. He describes the polar opposite of what Jacoby is. Look at every other year of Frank tenure in the NFL as an offensive coordinator with QBs like Rivers, Wentz, Luck... he didn't run this type of offense with any of them. I cannot imagine a coach like Frank preferring being this limited in the offense he runs. Now Carr might be able to do a bit more than Jacoby(not sure about Bridgewater), but I still don't think he's an ideal QB for what he wants. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I mean... if Jacoby is above average, Carr is definitely above average. :P I kid, I kid... he may be in the range around top 15 QB in the league, so maybe he's "above average", but again that doesn't tell us much. This is a ranking relative to the rest of the QBs, the real questions are - what can he do and what can he give you, what type of offense he can run and in what role will he be successful? I thought he was very successful in the role Gruden gave him this last year. I'm not sure it's the role that is conducive to consistent long-term winning. He definitely is upgrade on JB, though, I never said otherwise. 

I'm not locked on Love. I am locked on draft a talented high potential QB that we can develop and become our franchise QB. Whoever Ballard likes best, I will be cool with. I don't think Carr solves our long-term QB questions, so... I'd be OK trading for him as a bridge QB(3d round pick or later?), not as a franchise QB(1st? 2nd?). 

JB was traded for as an emergency measure when they realized Luck won't be ready in 2017 and they started him in 2019 as an emergency measure after Luck retired. I don't think JB is the type of QB they imagine as the engine for the offense. Go listen to Frank Reich's introductory pressconference about what kind of offense he wants to run and ask yourself if he's describing JB-type of QB. He describes the polar opposite of what Jacoby is. Look at every other year of Frank tenure in the NFL as an offensive coordinator with QBs like Rivers, Wentz, Luck... he didn't run this type of offense with any of them. I cannot imagine a coach like Frank preferring being this limited in the offense he runs. Now Carr might be able to do a bit more than Jacoby(not sure about Bridgewater), but I still don't think he's an ideal QB for what he wants. 

Carr is def better than Bridgewater's and dalton

21 minutes ago, stitches said:

I know you were kidding :thmup:but regarding JB I did say JB was above average in his 1st 7 games only = 14 TD's/3 INT's and we were 5-2 so I had ammo saying that. It back fired on me because he was below average the last half of the season.

Carr is a definite upgrade though and for Carr's career I would say safely say he has been above average.

We don't NEED an Andrew Luck talent to be a contender anymore, and honestly it feels good knowing that. We just need a guy that will throw the damn ball downfield to T.Y on the play-action! (shade intended). I've loved the idea of Carr for a while.

Lately though, I've been debating which I like more:

- Acquiring Rivers and drafting Love or Herbert to sit.

- Drafting Carr (and obviously being able to use that 1st rounder somewhere else)

I think I'm still leaning Carr. But again.. the way Chris and Frank have operated, we don't NEED elite. We'll be just fine :) It's still our division.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think this means anything. But he has one with him hugging Kalil Mack too.

I will say that if you look at his instagram, he posted a picture of him vs Chargers(QB needed), the Colts (many say QB needed) and the Bears (many say QB needed).  It is a little interesting.  I would say that he sees the writing on the walls.  If I were him, I would want out of Vegas.  They have made it very clear that they don't want him.  In regards to the Colts, I would think how public the Raiders have been about this has made his value go down in a trade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I will say that if you look at his instagram, he posted a picture of him vs Chargers(QB needed), the Colts (many say QB needed) and the Bears (many say QB needed).  It is a little interesting.  I would say that he sees the writing on the walls.  If I were him, I would want out of Vegas.  They have made it very clear that they don't want him.  In regards to the Colts, I would think how public the Raiders have been about this has made his value go down in a trade.

I think his value will go down as soon as they sign Brady.  If they want value they need to trade him first.  For him to post those pictures pretty much signals he knows whats coming and he's ready to move on.  

Some beautiful throws here. He has such good Touch. Apparently there are several teams ready to check in on Carr’s availability. That ball is out of his hand so quick. Him with TY and Campbell and the speed we have would be fun. Then add in another WR. Imagine if we get dline help in FA and added Lamb, jeudy, or Ruggs. One of them will be there at 13.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 4:44 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I could see Carr being traded to NE if Brady leaves or Tampa if they don’t sign Winston. I think there will be a few places he could go. Maybe even Carolina. 

If Carr can’t handle Grudens demanding  ways  you think he can handle Bellichik? 

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

If the rumor is true and the titans want Brady that would make Tannehill available and titans I bet would try and move up for a QB.

At first I chuckled at the notion, but having thought about this it makes sense.

If Brady were to switch teams away from NE, it would make sense there would be some comfort level playing under Vrabel. 

And TEN made the AFCCG, with a strong running game, which is a good thing for a 43 year old QB to have.  TEN is more of a contender than either LVR or LAC.

And whatever TEN will have to pay Tannehill, he isn't worth it, and Vrabel likely knows it.

So Brady becomes a bridge QB that can actually make some 2-minute passing game plays to help TEN win the AFC.  And TEN can look for a longer term option at QB, avoiding the probable Tannehill signing then crash and burn purgatory.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

At first I chuckled at the notion, but having thought about this it makes sense.

If Brady were to switch teams away from NE, it would make sense there would be some comfort level playing under Vrabel. 

And TEN made the AFCCG, with a strong running game, which is a good thing for a 43 year old QB to have.  TEN is more of a contender than either LVR or LAC.

And whatever TEN will have to pay Tannehill, he isn't worth it, and Vrabel likely knows it.

So Brady becomes a bridge QB that can actually make some 2-minute passing game plays to help TEN win the AFC.  And TEN can look for a longer term option at QB, avoiding the probable Tannehill signing then crash and burn purgatory.

Brady could literally be the difference maker to pushing them to the promised land. They’d have to be in win now mode right? 

7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Brady could literally be the difference maker to pushing them to the promised land. They’d have to be in win now mode right? 

TEN is closer to the SB than either LAC or LVR, and has a HC that would always be on the same page as Brady. 

Really, I know some of TNs success last year came from Tannehill's improved play, but he still strikes me as not knowing what to do or not being comfortable inside of 2 minutes of either half. 

IMO, that's the points in the game that the QB wins the game for the team.  The other 56 minutes he should simply try to not give the game away and let Henry carry much of the burden.

14 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Titans are also rumored to really like Love. So letting Tannehill go and getting a bridge would make sense if they wanted to try and get Love. I just don’t see how you don’t bring Ryan back and sign Brady without knowing if you get the QB you want in the draft.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Titans are also rumored to really like Love. So letting Tannehill go and getting a bridge would make sense if they wanted to try and get Love. I just don’t see how you don’t bring Ryan back and sign Brady without knowing if you get the QB you want in the draft.

If I were TEN, I would want to gracefully sidestep the oncoming Tannehill mess by whatever means possible. 

If I couldn't pick the QB this coming draft, at least I can keep treading water until the next draft or the next.  That beats being stuck with an underachiever carrying a huge cap hit.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

TEN is closer to the SB than either LAC or LVR, and has a HC that would always be on the same page as Brady. 

Really, I know some of TNs success last year came from Tannehill's improved play, but he still strikes me as not knowing what to do or not being comfortable inside of 2 minutes of either half. 

IMO, that's the points in the game that the QB wins the game for the team.  The other 56 minutes he should simply try to not give the game away and let Henry carry much of the burden.

Yeah, honestly once Mahomes started warming up and scoring Tannehill was deer in the headlights. Brady’s been able to keep up in the past. 

This will be a very interesting free agency period. So many things could happen.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yeah, honestly once Mahomes started warming up and scoring Tannehill was deer in the headlights. Brady’s been able to keep up in the past. 

This will be a very interesting free agency period. So many things could happen.

If they added a stud WR in the draft that would help Tannehill. They really don’t have much outside Brown.