Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
CR91

CR91 1.5 Colts Offseason

Recommended Posts

I am making a few changes to my original off-season mock

 

Colts Projected Cap Space 86 mil

 

Re-sign

 

Castonzo - 3 year 36 mil 18 mil G

Haeg - 3 year 12 mil 5 mil G

 

Cap Space  70 mil

 

Extend

 

Kelly - 4 year 40 mil 25 mil G

Mack - 5 year 50 mil 20 mil G

Walker - 5 year 40 mil 15 mil G

 

Cap Space 42 mil

 

Cut

 

Hoyer - save 5 mil

Hunt - save 4 mil

 

Cap Space 51 mil

 

Free Agent

 

Yannick Ngakoue 5 year 100 mil 60 mil G

 

Yes extremely pricey, however Ngakoue is not only a proven pass rusher, but his biggest strength is his run defense and setting the edge which is what we need to better our defense.

 

Michael Brockers 3 year 36 mil 14 mil G

 

Brockers will occupy blocks and free up our LBers which is a big reason why our run defense suffered.

 

Vance Mcdonald 2 year 15 mil 7 mil G

 

Imo, we struggled on offense because of a lack of a possession threat and Mcdonald is not only a chain mover, but a really good blocker. 

 

Cap Space 11.5  mil

 

Draft

 

1. Javon Kinlaw DT South Carolina

 

I am completely re-vamping our defensive line which is imo the biggest weakness last year and cause us to give up a lot of big plays. With all these additions, we finally get to use the strength of our LBers.

 

2. Justin Jefferson WR LSU

 

Jefferson gives us another weapon we can utilize in the slot along with moving around Campbell and Hilton and keep Pascal as the Z and main blocker.

 

2. Anthony Gordon QB Washington State

 

Gordon is a raw QB imo. I like his arm, accuracy, and vision, but his feet and pocket awareness needs work, but I do think there is really good potential here and I believe after a year of sitting and watching, he'll be ready to take over.

 

3. Kyle Dugger S Lenoir-Rhyne

 

Small small prospect with huge upside at 6 2 215 and 4.4 speed. Gives us a replacement for Geathers and adds much needed depth to our secondary.

 

4. Matt Peart T Connecticut

 

I don't see the colts re-signing Clark so the colts will need oline depth. Peart has good size and durability and we know how much Ballard loves seniors.

 

5. Harrison Bryant TE Flordia Atlantic

 

I like Bryant as a project TE to learn from Doyle and Mcdonald. Played well in 2019 with 1000 yards and 7 scores.

 

6. Aaron Parker WR Rhode Island

 

Small school prospect with great size and a big stat line in 2019

 

6. Christian Rector DE USC

 

Rector will fall in the draft hard after a horrible 2019 season, but prior years he showed a lot of talent with 12 sacks the past prior seasons.

 

7. John Houston Jr ILB USC

 

Provides us with some LBer depth

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I would change is Mack’s extension... I would offer 3yrs / 6-7m per year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d have to let Mack walk at that price. Just can’t see 10mil per. Hope we also do more to the QB room than add Gordon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job. These changes on D would definitely take a lot of pressure off #7.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

One thing I would change is Mack’s extension... I would offer 3yrs / 6-7m per year.

 

3 hours ago, boo2202 said:

I’d have to let Mack walk at that price. Just can’t see 10mil per. Hope we also do more to the QB room than add Gordon. 

 

I actually thought it was a cheap deal compared to another top backs who make 12-14 mil. Unfortunately, to build our line, that's the best I can do at QB

1 hour ago, Hark said:

Nice job. These changes on D would definitely take a lot of pressure off #7.

 

Thank you. I think so as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

    :omg:        Lot's of numbers way off, and personnel choices that Ballard will not be making.
                 Gordon in the second?  :yuk:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

    :omg:        Lot's of numbers way off, and personel choices that Ballard will not be making.
                 Gordon in the second?  :yuk:

 

For example? The only one Ballard might not do is Yannick, but that's to fix the d-line which Ballard his stressed since day one. Gordon has talent, but he's not ready to play. He's gonna need time to develop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2020 at 11:25 PM, pacolts56 said:

I like it....especially the DLine overhaul and Justin Jefferson.

 

It'll improve the entire defense imo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

It'll improve the entire defense imo

Without question..... adding Kinlaw and Ngakoue would really help the back seven guys.

 

I'd be really jazzed if Ballard were to finally spend some serious bucks on a legit EDGE guy like Yannick and then double down with Kinlaw on draft day.:thmup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it

 

Gordon will probably last till our third round pick

 

It is a roll of the dice at QB

 

Kelly and Gordon are good potential but both have basement level “floors”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I like it

 

Gordon will probably last till our third round pick

 

It is a roll of the dice at QB

 

Kelly and Gordon are good potential but both have basement level “floors”

 

 

Well at that point, I think 6 QBs will be taken Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, Fromm, and Eason so we need to make a play. Gordon has potential, but needs time to develop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CR91 said:

 

Well at that point, I think 6 QBs will be taken Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, Fromm, and Eason so we need to make a play. Gordon has potential, but needs time to develop.

I dont disagree with you

 

Your approach is a viable option that does improve the team

 

I would be happy with a few options......

 

1) Your option (Gordon picked)

 

2) Carr trade option

 

3) Draft Love at 13...

IF he had his head on straight, and CB loves the guy, AND he is still there at 13

 

4) Trade up for Tua

 

All 4 would work for me

 

I want CK to have a chance at our QB spot..... he may fail, he may succeed..... I dont know

 

The competition in your scenario for 2020 is between JB and CK for starting snaps

 

Gordon will need some significant TLC, and coaching to get him to a point where he is competing for a starting role in 2021.

 

I believe that if both were on an even playing field, that CK would surpass JB.

 

The BIG question, would be .......  IF CK beats out JB..... what do you do with JB?

 

Would the Colts carry three QBs? - Most teams wouldnt...

You WONT be able to stash Gordon on PS

 

In your scenario......

If JB beats out CK.....  You CUT CK and be done with it

 

It will be an interesting offseason

 

If Gordon does very well at Combine, you may be right that he will need to be picked in round 2...... someone may slide into to get him before our third round pick

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont disagree with you

 

Your approach is a viable option that does improve the team

 

I would be happy with a few options......

 

1) Your option (Gordon picked)

 

2) Carr trade option

 

3) Draft Love at 13...

IF he had his head on straight, and CB loves the guy, AND he is still there at 13

 

4) Trade up for Tua

 

All 4 would work for me

 

I want CK to have a chance at our QB spot..... he may fail, he may succeed..... I dont know

 

The competition in your scenario for 2020 is between JB and CK for starting snaps

 

Gordon will need some significant TLC, and coaching to get him to a point where he is competing for a starting role in 2021.

 

I believe that if both were on an even playing field, that CK would surpass JB.

 

The BIG question, would be .......  IF CK beats out JB..... what do you do with JB?

 

Would the Colts carry three QBs? - Most teams wouldnt...

You WONT be able to stash Gordon on PS

 

In your scenario......

If JB beats out CK.....  You CUT CK and be done with it

 

It will be an interesting offseason

 

If Gordon does very well at Combine, you may be right that he will need to be picked in round 2...... someone may slide into to get him before our third round pick

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

An interesting side note to consider.  It looks like the new CBA is going to increase the roster size by at least two players and the practice squad as well.  Last year a few teams carried three QBs I believe including the Colts down the stretch.  Maybe more teams would be tempted to do it.  It will be interesting to see what teams will do with a little more flexibility.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont disagree with you

 

Your approach is a viable option that does improve the team

 

I would be happy with a few options......

 

1) Your option (Gordon picked)

 

2) Carr trade option

 

3) Draft Love at 13...

IF he had his head on straight, and CB loves the guy, AND he is still there at 13

 

4) Trade up for Tua

 

All 4 would work for me

 

I want CK to have a chance at our QB spot..... he may fail, he may succeed..... I dont know

 

The competition in your scenario for 2020 is between JB and CK for starting snaps

 

Gordon will need some significant TLC, and coaching to get him to a point where he is competing for a starting role in 2021.

 

I believe that if both were on an even playing field, that CK would surpass JB.

 

The BIG question, would be .......  IF CK beats out JB..... what do you do with JB?

 

Would the Colts carry three QBs? - Most teams wouldnt...

You WONT be able to stash Gordon on PS

 

In your scenario......

If JB beats out CK.....  You CUT CK and be done with it

 

It will be an interesting offseason

 

If Gordon does very well at Combine, you may be right that he will need to be picked in round 2...... someone may slide into to get him before our third round pick

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Could always swap the 2nd I used on Gordon for Carr. He would atleast make us a playoff team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Ngakoue run defense, LOL.

 

 

 

Did you watch any part of the jags defense in 2017 and the early parts of 2018 or do you just like to troll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CR91 said:

 

Did you watch any part of the jags defense in 2017 and the early parts of 2018 or do you just like to troll

 

What will the team do without his 8 sacks, 9 tackles a year at $20 million?

 

haha Clinton-Dix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rock8591 said:

 

What will the team do without his 8 sacks, 9 tackles a year at $20 million?

 

haha Clinton-Dix

 

You seriously have zero football knowledge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting.  I hadn't considered Brockers or McDonald but I like both of those options.  As for the draft, love the Kinlaw selection and I like getting Jefferson.  I like the Gordon pick too but IMHO 2nd round may be too high.  Of course a lot of it will depend on how many QB's are taken before him, but I would think 3rd or 4th round would be about right.

 

This would revamp the DL into a nightmare for offensive coordinators to go with our young and improving LB corp.  It could also finally give them the Robin (Jefferson) they've been looking for all this time to Hilton's Batman.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Interesting.  I hadn't considered Brockers or McDonald but I like both of those options.  As for the draft, love the Kinlaw selection and I like getting Jefferson.  I like the Gordon pick too but IMHO 2nd round may be too high.  Of course a lot of it will depend on how many QB's are taken before him, but I would think 3rd or 4th round would be about right.

 

This would revamp the DL into a nightmare for offensive coordinators to go with our young and improving LB corp.  It could also finally give them the Robin (Jefferson) they've been looking for all this time to Hilton's Batman.

 

I think with all these moves, it allows us to not only develop Gordon while still being competitive with Brisett at QB for another year, but not put all the pressure on the QB position to succeed. Kinda like the 49ers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2020 at 11:08 PM, CR91 said:

 

You seriously have zero football knowledge.

 

Ngakoue is notoriously known for poor run defense.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

 

Ngakoue is notoriously known for poor run defense.

 

 

 

According to Pro Football Focus, Ngakoue had a run-stop percentage (the percentage of stops per snap played only in run defense) 7.6% with 21 stops on 278 run-snaps. “Stops” constitute a “loss” for the opposing team’s offense. For context, Ngakoue was tied with San Francisco 49ers defensive end Nick Bosa for 18th overall at his position in stop percentage in 2019. Bosa accounted for 20 stops on 263 run-snaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • @Zoltan and The Bucs are on the clock with an hour to go.
    • As a Colt fan I hope Rivers balls out. But I have to be honest, I am skeptical about Rivers. I wanted younger, not older.  Personally I wanted Bridgewater and like his contract much more than what Rivers signed for.   
    • I think your point on Fountain here is pretty important to understanding Ballard's off-season strategy at WR.     Initially, I hoped we'd sign a free agent and use a second round pick (preferably 34)...and now it looks like we'll only address WR thru the draft.   Hilton is still young enough to expect a return to form this year.  Campbell, despite the low reps, is expected to emerge and you have to leave space for that opportunity or he won't grow.  Pascal caught 41 balls for 600+ yards....from Brissett.  It's almost a certainty we'll draft a receiver in the 2nd round.  Four roster spots are pretty much locked in.   Back to Fountain...having 2 years in the program, there is every reason to believe Ballard may prefer Fountain as the 5th receiver over an additional drafted rookie or journeyman vet UFA.  I can still see drafting a second WR this year, but am no longer shocked that we didn't re-sign Funchess or chase other UFA receivers.    Ballard isn't neglecting the position, he's staying the course on development so that the young talent is ready when Hilton departs, and the emergence of Pascal last year was as good or better than anything you could expect from signing a middle tier outside free agent to build a bridge to the rookies.
  • Members

    • Nadine

      Nadine 8,118

      Administrators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PeterBowman

      PeterBowman 3,309

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltsva

      coltsva 1,653

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fluke_33

      Fluke_33 1,173

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ztboiler

      ztboiler 1,508

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Colts_Fan12

      Colts_Fan12 5,586

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Superfly

      Superfly 3,853

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shive

      Shive 1,639

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shafty138

      Shafty138 1,659

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • chad72

      chad72 11,380

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...