Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Playoff teams to be expanded as per new CBA

CR91

So basically: they would add a 7 seed, which would mean only the 1 seed would have a bye in the playoffs... 

AND on top of that they want to add a 17th game for the regular season. 

I can't see the players being that happy with this idea. 

Sure, as fans we would get more football. But it's already a long season for the players. 

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

I think every team should make the playoffs!  It's just not fair that some teams don't ever get to play in the playoffs.

OK - I am done now.  This is just for money. Will not improve the game.

Money is the entire reason the league exists

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RollerColt said:

So basically: they would add a 7 seed, which would mean only the 1 seed would have a bye in the playoffs... 

AND on top of that they want to add a 17th game for the regular season. 

I can't see the players being that happy with this idea. 

Sure, as fans we would get more football. But it's already a long season for the players. 

From what I understand it's two additional games total.

The intention is to cut the preseason to 3 games.

What will we ever do without that last Bengals  preseason game.....

I'm wondering if they'll increase the roster size due to less time to evaluate(?).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, buccolts said:

From what I understand it's two additional games total.

The intention is to cut the preseason to 3 games.

What will we ever do without that last Bengals  preseason game.....

I'm wondering if they'll increase the roster size due to less time to evaluate(?).

That would make sense. So would that mean the season starts earlier or finishes later? 

22 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

That would make sense. So would that mean the season starts earlier or finishes later? 

It COULD stay the same. Just take preseason week 4, and call it regular season week 1.

It wouldn't add to the post season length either.

Now, that doesn't mean they WOULDN'T move the dates around, but they can certainly fit it into the same number of weeks. 

1 hour ago, buccolts said:

It COULD stay the same. Just take preseason week 4, and call it regular season week 1.

It wouldn't add to the post season length either.

Now, that doesn't mean they WOULDN'T move the dates around, but they can certainly fit it into the same number of weeks. 

So from what I can tell, they could immediately remove the 4th preseason game this year, but adding the 17th regular season game might have to wait until 2022. 

Apparently teams might be limited to just 1 franchise tag, so that could get interesting. 

• Thanks 1

That's right, keep fixing it until you break it.

The only thing I ever wanted changed in the playoffs was the seeding issue. Keep the first two seeds as a byes with home field advantage per conference, and the other four seeds are based on overall record regardless of winning their division. That way a 12-4 wildcard team can host a wildcard playoff game instead of rewarding a crap division winner with an 8-8 record the home game.

To this day I still hate that playoff game at San Diego all those years ago...

1 hour ago, chrisbeldridge said:

The playoffs don’t need to be expanded.  It will just devalue the regular season like college and BBA basketball.  

Also, with and odd number of games, how will the number of home and away games be decided?

Every team will now have a game at a neutral site, such as Europe, Mexico, and who knows where. 

• Thanks 1

This might be heresy but if they are going to 17 games, why not make it so every player has to sit one game? If they don’t do something like that, records (passing and rushing yards for the for example) will not mean as much.

Besides, players are missing games anyway as it is. It would add the strategy as well. 
    I wish they would leave things as they are but money talks.

7 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

This might be heresy but if they are going to 17 games, why not make it so every player has to sit one game? If they don’t do something like that, records (passing and rushing yards for the for example) will not mean as much.

Besides, players are missing games anyway as it is. It would add the strategy as well. 

Nobody will still beat Emmitt's record of 18,355 Yards. That is way out there. As great as Barry Sanders was he would've had to play even 3 more years before retiring to get that many yards so that wasn't even a given. Injuries and other things happen. He finished with 15,269 yards in 10 seasons. 

I am thinking what you guys are. Odd number of games.. and the whole schedule (which flows so well) will be off by 1 random game.

Division games 6

AFC division 4

NFC division 4

Identical seeds 2 

And what....... Choose your own squad?

Identical seed from opposite conference? 

That's gonna be weird. Wonder what they come up with

59 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

:)

I'm thinking you may be young (relatively). Us older folks (boy that sounds bad, and was difficult to type) have been through a few such 'changes' and had the same concerns.

We got over it. You will to. Besides, it's not like we have any control over it.

Records are made to be broken, at least that's what they say, even if they need to change the rules to make it so.

Don't worry, our heros of today will be rendered lesser players as time goes by. It happens to everyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, buccolts said:

I'm thinking you may be young (relatively). Us older folks (boy that sounds bad, and was difficult to type) have been through a few such 'changes' and had the same concerns.

We got over it. You will to. Besides, it's not like we have any control over it.

Records are made to be broken, at least that's what they say, even if they need to change the rules to make it so.

Don't worry, our heros of today will be rendered lesser players as time goes by. It happens to everyone.

Actually, I’m just about to turn 65. I do remember a 14 game season and 154 in baseball. I just thought it would keep some continuity. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Actually, I’m just about to turn 65. I do remember a 14 game season and 154 in baseball. I just thought it would keep some continuity. 

Ah, well sorry for the gross assumption. However, me too. I'll be 65 next month. 

8 more days 'till Medicare..... yay!

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 11:38 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nobody will still beat Emmitt's record of 18,355 Yards. That is way out there. As great as Barry Sanders was he would've had to play even 3 more years before retiring to get that many yards so that wasn't even a given. Injuries and other things happen. He finished with 15,269 yards in 10 seasons. 

Barry may have reached that in 2 years.   It's only a 3086 yard difference and in Barry last 2 seasons he had 2053 yards and 1491 yards.  

I also don't like what the NFL is doing.  I've always enjoyed the symmetry the NFL has had.  8 homes games and 8 road games.  Even number of teams, games and playoff teams. 

It won't stop me from watching.  If there is 1 good thing that I hope comes out of this, it is them maybe pushing the Superbowl back to Allow people to be off the day after (Presidents Day).  

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Barry may have reached that in 2 years.   It's only a 3086 yard difference and in Barry last 2 seasons he had 2053 yards and 1491 yards.  

I also don't like what the NFL is doing.  I've always enjoyed the symmetry the NFL has had.  8 homes games and 8 road games.  Even number of teams, games and playoff teams. 

It won't stop me from watching.  If there is 1 good thing that I hope comes out of this, it is them maybe pushing the Superbowl back to Allow people to be off the day after (Presidents Day).  

It would've took Barry playing into his 3rd more season to gain more than 18,000. That is at least around 40 more games.  I could see him gaining 2500 yards or so in the 1st 2, then passing Emmitt in year 3. Having said that nobody is even close to Emmitt today. Now most teams are RB by committee and the RB's today that are great usually taper off after 7 or 8 seasons and decline because of being over used. They need to keep it at 16 games though IMO. 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It would've took Barry playing into his 3rd more season to gain more than 18,000. That is at least around 40 more games.  I could see him gaining 2500 yards or so in the 1st 2, then passing Emmitt in year 3. Having said that nobody is even close to Emmitt today. Now most teams are RB by committee and the RB's today that are great usually taper off after 7 or 8 seasons and decline because of being over used. They need to keep it at 16 games though IMO. 

Messing with the NFL certainly has some risk.   IMO, since it is always trending up, I wouldn't change anything drastically like they are proposing.  You are making money hand over foot.  

The National Football League (NFL) is the most profitable professional sports league in the United States. The total revenue of all 32 NFL teams has constantly increased over the past 15 years, rising from about four billion U.S. dollars in 2001 to over 14 billion U.S. dollars in 2018, the highest figure to date.

image.png.ce63ff8f3a3eeaeabbf76e1a30b07e63.png

• Like 1

If any changes are to be made I would like to see the Thursday night game done away with. 

We have witnessed sub standard football being played on Thursday nights for too long.

Teams are not well prepared, rested or even healthy after playing Sundays.

The NFL are getting so greedy they are over saturating the fans with games. 

• Thanks 2

On 2/20/2020 at 5:17 PM, buccolts said:

Question is: What gets added to the scheduling formula to accommodate the additional regular season schedule?

Each team in each conference gets an additional home game every other year against a team in the opposite conference with a similar finishing position

Hypothetical at this point but I've read it and I think it makes a lot of sense

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2020 at 12:13 AM, crazycolt1 said:

If any changes are to be made I would like to see the Thursday night game done away with. 

We have witnessed sub standard football being played on Thursday nights for too long.

Teams are not well prepared, rested or even healthy after playing Sundays.

The NFL are getting so greedy they are over saturating the fans with games. 

I agree, we do not need Thursday night football.  And it's easy to imagine why the football is substandard.  You have players who play a professional game on Sunday with all the beating that comes with that.  Then they have to practice right away on Monday and Tuesday and then travel on Wednesday.  I'm guessing they might get one short limited practice in on Wednesday or Thursday morning but that's it.  

Oh and during all of this chaos they are suppose to watch film both collectively and individually.  

Oh and do all of that without wearing down your body, your mind, and still getting the proper amount of sleep.