Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Injuries issues finally being addressed

BProland85

https://www.1075thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/colts-looking-reoccurring-injury-problem

I still wonder what the status of our field turf is. Is it an improved state of the art field turf designed to cut down on injuries? Sometimes those artificial field turf fields can be harder surfaces than real grass, which could easily result in more injuries. 

Short, but good article, and thanks for posting. 

While I agree injuries are an issue, 2019 wasn't nearly as bad as 2018 (as suggested by the rankings listed). Even if we did improve from 30th to 21st, I still don't like being in the bottom half. Sounds like he's made changes to a lot, but has left the medical staff in tact. Perhaps it's time for a change there too.

For those interested, mangameslost.com does a great job through the season of reporting impact. While their website is a pay site, they typically publish at minimum the weekly charts for free.

Here's the NFL regular season chart. It shows both pure games lost (left to right axis), but also measure player quality lost (size of bubble), with team wins shown on the vertical axis.

Of note, SF, KC, NEm, Seattle, and Houston were off worse off than Indy.

ENPQhxoWkAELbPp.png

“We’re having too many,” Ballard accurately states.

I've been banging this drum for a long time now.  I believe the Colts have always realized that this is an issue, as well.  There are some folks here that just simply refused to believe it - that old "all teams have injuries" routine lol. 

When you're in the bottom half of the league for 10 consecutive years, and near dead-last in 4 of those years, there's a problem.  There just is.

I would love to see the injury breakdown in terms of location (home/away) and type of surface.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Popular Now

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• Well, part of the issue is the rotational approach to begin with, IMO.  With playoff caliber coaches, QBs, and personnel; I'd think that once the saw the guy who was only good at one thing, they would audible into doing the other.     So if the light guy Lewis is playing 3T a lot, TEN is going to feed Henry until the 3T stops getting washed out.
    • When Peyton had his issues in 2015 with his foot, Kubiak benched him and went with Osweiler because Peyton was hurting the team at that point. This is a HOF QB we are talking about who had earned a LOT of rope. Once Peyton had minor surgery and was back and active and ready to go, that is when Kubiak put him back, and Peyton at least steadied the Broncos ship during the playoffs.    Unless it gets to a point where Rivers' play hurts the Colts like with Peyton where he threw 3 or 4 picks in 1 game within 2 quarters while the Broncos played the Chiefs, Rivers is our starter.
    • It's not even about his production. After he got back from his injury his production has actually been fine. I'm not one of those who wants ungodly numbers from him to think he's showing promise. But I do want to see him beat his man off the release on he outside. I do want him to win some contested balls and show body control and good hands. My problem with him right now is that ... he just... doesn't win his reps really. He needs his man to get stuck in traffic or for a defensive breakdown to happen in order to make stuff happen. Just an example - look at what Claypool is doing. Look at what Ceedee Lamb is doing...   I couldn't care less if he ends the year with 400 yards and 2TDs... It's not what this is about... it's about me wanting to see some flashes of what he could become with development. So yeah, sure... I absolutely agree with you that it's still early in his career and there is time for him to get better and develop, but we still can watch what he's doing now and where he's struggling and evaluate that. IMO he's struggling with pretty much every single aspect of playing X-receiver. Which is why Reich started using him a ton in the slot after his injury.      This is not a coincidence. The jump in production coicides perfectly with Reich moving him inside to the slot and scheming things for him.   
    • Rattle on about your interpretation about what's going on, rather than your knowledge of it.     Why are babbling about something irrelevant, like hindsight?   There was no looking back. There is no hindsight. The trade up for Lewis was criticized immediately when it happened.  My thought yesterday merely triggered a 2.5 year old memory.  It wasn't a new thought based on hindsight.   If you don't know that, you're not qualified to comment about the situation or about me.   Let it go, because you've revealed you ignorance on the matter.   And it was a one sentence comment at the end of a five sentence paragraph.  It was a side comment.  It wasn't a deal until you made it one.   Do us a favor.  Smarten up, or get out.     
    • I think strong side DE plays more snaps for us than weak side DE with more run stopping responsibilities like Sheard and Houston. I am not sure if that is a systematic conscious approach or something that happened by chance. In other words, they want a few jacks who do only 1 trade on a rotational basis instead of 1 jack that does several trades for the weak side DE position. However the hit percentage seems to be low so far with several dart opportunities at the draft board.   That approach only works if those jacks do jack but if they don't do jack, who the jack is won't matter.  
  • Members

• CoachLite

CoachLite 647

• Fourstar40

Fourstar40 9

• Onthefence

Onthefence 0

Rookie
    • newb767

newb767 27

• chad72

chad72 13,504