Indianapolis Colts
Luck2Hilton4TD

Mel Kiper Jr.’s Mock Draft 2.0 has the Colts Selecting South Carolina DT Javon Kinlaw

Kinlaw is the best non-QB option for the Colts. If we miss on a QB and he’s on the board, you run the card in.

• Like 4

Kinlaw is the player that fits most what Ballard seems to like - size, length, explosiveness from the 3Tech position. If we don't draft a QB I'd be perfectly happy with him... well... unless one of the blue chip guys falls. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Kinlaw is the best non-QB option for the Colts. If we miss on a QB and he’s on the board, you run the card in.

Agree. 

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I mean, I'm taking Chase Young as the best non-QB option.  I know he's gone in your scenario, but I'm on short sleep and the silly nonsense probably sounds better in my head than it really is.  It's just that by the time I've realized it, I'm too tired to care to erase it lol.

• Haha 4

I just don't see him as a three-technique. He's more like a 3-front DE. 

I went back and watched his game tapes on youtube. I'm NOT a scout. But it's pretty easy to see that he stands up almost immediately a lot of the time and guards get into his chest and just ride him. When he makes plays they look great. Big, strong, quick, fast. But he also looks like he can't find the ball. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Gigc said:

I went back and watched his game tapes on youtube. I'm NOT a scout. But it's pretty easy to see that he stands up almost immediately a lot of the time and guards get into his chest and just ride him. When he makes plays they look great. Big, strong, quick, fast. But he also looks like he can't find the ball. 

Literally no analysts share that opinion. Everyone who’s anyone in the scouting world has said he’ll be a great 3-tech. Not sure how you came to a conclusion so far off the mark. Only weakness I’ve heard about him is that he’ll be better in a gap penetrating scheme where he can just get up field.

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Literally no analysts share that opinion. Everyone who’s anyone in the scouting world has said he’ll be a great 3-tech. Not sure how you came to a conclusion so far off the mark. Only weakness I’ve heard about him is that he’ll be better in a gap penetrating scheme where he can just get up field.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/javon-kinlaw/z6rQc3jCQc

Most analysts agree with what he said with the pad level. Shouldn't be surprising. He is 6'5". He is going to get to tall from time to time. DraftTek is the only one who didnt mention pad level as a negative that I've seen. The only thing they said was "if his pad level gets to high the play is a wash" (not an exact quote).

50 minutes ago, Gigc said:

I am sure i will watch more tape. That said, i see his super long, powerful arms jabbing his opponents and knocking them back more often than not. And when it is a wash, i will take his length putting his mitts up in the passing lane. 

• Like 1

I think Kinlaw falls to us and he would be my pick in the draft. We need him badly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/javon-kinlaw/z6rQc3jCQc

Most analysts agree with what he said with the pad level. Shouldn't be surprising. He is 6'5". He is going to get to tall from time to time. DraftTek is the only one who didnt mention pad level as a negative that I've seen. The only thing they said was "if his pad level gets to high the play is a wash" (not an exact quote).

I was talking more in terms of him not being a fit in a 4-3. I’ve never heard that mentioned anywhere. I’ve heard he’s an ideal 3-tech and might even be able to play 5-tech if needed, but never that he won’t be good at the 3-tech position.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Well, I watched him. :)

• Like 1

No one on this Board would argue that the Colts need more game changers on their team. I seriously doubt anyone would suggest the Colts don't need a big upgrade at the 3T position. Kinlaw is a game changing 3T according to every top draft analyst out there. He'd be a terrific pick for the Colts at 13. 

• Like 1

I think this pick all depends on FA.  There are a lot of DTs hitting FA.  If Ballard signs Harris or someone else I can see him taking an OT at 13.  No doubt Kinlaw would be a great pick though.

Sometimes All it takes is 1 player at an area of need and Things change. He might be that guy at that position. 

• Like 1