Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If the XFL called for Chad Kelly

Imgrandojji

45 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I'm not sure. But I think she misquoted (not really misquoted, but not really properly explained?) the bonus. The way hear it described during the games,  the winning team SPLITS the $100k 46 ways. (More ways if the coaches get some)

Thanks. Thought that must be the case.

1 hour ago, Dogg63 said:

It's not explained in painful detail here, but basically:

XFL salary structure:

Average salary: $55,000

Bi-weekly paycheck: $2,080

Activation fee: $1,685

Victory bonus: $2,222

And top quarterbacks (apparently the lone salary exception) can earn up to $495,000.

3 hours ago, jimmy g said:

I didn’t realize that. There was a recent linked article in the College and other Sports Forum that I thought said XFL players play for approx $1100 @ week, with a chance to make bonuses, but $55,000 max for the year.  And that they cannot sue over injuries. So if they get hurt, they’re screwed!

Per a few articles I've read, it's not just QBs that make more than the minimum. They actually have 4 tiers. Only one in the top tier which is typically the QB. They have a few other limited exceptions, most of which is used on pass rushers. 

Here's one of the articles that talks a bit about the tiers. 

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/02/xfl-salary-contract-money-how-much-paid/

13 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Can an NFL team such as the Colts grant a player permission to go play in the XFL? Let them gain experience and still hold the rights on the player to return. In Kelly's case it might be a good thing for both he and the Colts

Not sure if the current CBA would allow that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

It's amazing how second-half appearances in the preseason has made Chad Kelly a starting quarterback in the NFL. If Kelly was so good he would have played against Miami last year. Can people stop crying for him to play

For some reason I trust Reich and Ballard more than some of the arm chair head coaches and GMs in this forum. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

For some reason I trust Reich and Ballard more than some of the arm chair head coaches and GMs in this forum. 

I trust they'll make the right decision for the team and the future. I'm glad they're being quiet and keeping things close to the vest too. Other teams don't need to know what they're thinking of doing. 

• Like 2

ESPN's NFL Live had a segment on Phillip Walker today, saying how he's lighting it up in the XFL. Also talked about Luck recommending him to his dad. 

So if PJW is killing it in the XFL, and we chose to keep CK over him, what does that say about his (CK's) skill, chances in the NFL, or his potential in the XFL. And what does it say about PJW's chances of getting back into the league even if only for a backup.

17 hours ago, EastStreet said:

ESPN's NFL Live had a segment on Phillip Walker today, saying how he's lighting it up in the XFL. Also talked about Luck recommending him to his dad. 

So if PJW is killing it in the XFL, and we chose to keep CK over him, what does that say about his (CK's) skill, chances in the NFL, or his potential in the XFL. And what does it say about PJW's chances of getting back into the league even if only for a backup.

he is erratic and playing against much lesser talent. however i am pulling for him

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

he is erratic and playing against much lesser talent. however i am pulling for him

I'm pulling for him too. He's playing against lesser talent sure, but he's also with WITH lesser talent too. It's not like playing preseason when you may have 1s going against 3s. The playing field is level. Not saying he is going to be the second coming or anything, it's just interesting that the guy we let go is rising to the top of the XFL. It also generates more questions about Kelly, given we obviously saw more in him than Walker.

17 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I thought they already had a minor league system called college football where they make millions and don’t pay the players. 

Don't be fooled, the players get paid.

They also are ensured future employment.  I'm in the purchasing field and deal with allot of vendors.  It's amazing how many of the reps are former local college players.  If you played for a college, even if you weren't that good, your chances of a good job are increased by an incredible amount.

On 2/17/2020 at 9:57 PM, Imgrandojji said:

Do we let him go or try to keep him around?  Do we promise him playing time if that's what it took or is it better just to let him start over somewhere else at this point?

Do we even care what happens to Chad Kelly anymore?

Cause I'm just thinking if I'm Chad Kelly's agent, the XFL doesn't pay as much as an NFL practice squad but it's a chance to get my client's name out there.  Get him on TV and let people see him in action.  That's more valuable than a few extra grand.

Everyone is different, but me?  I'd be happy making the money he is now without having to preform much.   Jim Sorgi made over $5 million dollars in 7 years without having to start an NFL game.  That's the career I would like.

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

Everyone is different, but me?  I'd be happy making the money he is now without having to preform much.   Jim Sorgi made over $5 million dollars in 7 years without having to start an NFL game.  That's the career I would like.

Yeah that's me too but I wouldn't want a guy with that attitude being a starting QB on my football team.  I want a guy thirsty to prove himself, not a simple jobsworth.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 12:11 AM, indyagent17 said:

It's amazing how second-half appearances in the preseason has made Chad Kelly a starting quarterback in the NFL. If Kelly was so good he would have played against Miami last year. Can people stop crying for him to play

NO...not until he gets a chance to show it on the field in multiple games.

and then he beats out that putz named Brissett.

On 2/18/2020 at 3:12 PM, Superman said:

That set period of time is forever, as far as I understand.

Some have stated that if the team recoups bonus money, their rights to the player expire when his contract would have normally expired. (So, if the Colts had recouped Luck's unamortized bonus, their rights to him would expire after his contract was up in 2021.) I haven't seen that in writing, don't know if it's true.

I've heard that too, and maybe even read some lawyer/football media types address it. Apparently, there are conflicting statements on that subject regarding timing of retirement and reinstatement rights at different parts of the CBA/NFL Operations rules. I'm sure without clarity, not many would want to 'test' it without having a good feeling the decision would go in their favor.