Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Another Rivers to the Colts Prediction

Just now, krunk said:

Rivers has no fear about driving the football downfield. The offense will definitely open up with him back there. And he loves to utilize the tight ends so maybe we get to see more of what a guy like Mo Cox has.

I think our WRs and TEs would look a lot more 2018ish than 2019ish, that's for sure.

Just having a compitent QB would take stress off the OL, the running games, not to mention the D. I think our D would look more 2018ish than 2019ish too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I actually am all for Rivers.  To me, he’s one of those all-time warrior type of QBs.  Reminds me of Favre.  Two years of him rejuvenated behind a top notch OL, yeah, I MUCH prefer this as compared to

Peyton threw six interceptions in a game once. Five in the first half.    Not saying I want Rivers, but don’t act like he’s the only player that’s done something like this. 

I would rather have a band-aid than the current open wound. Besides, Rivers is not meant to be the ultimate solution...he is merely a stopgap and mentor for whatever rookie they draft.    Re

No to Cry me a Rivers. I just hate him I’m sorry. There is a chance, but I’d be happy if we didn’t. It stems from 07-08 for my reasoning lol

On 3/1/2020 at 10:08 AM, Doc said:

It's very interesting on how this was the focus of your response, a typo.

Never the less, Phillip Rivers is not the answer for the Colts.

Jacoby Brissett was not bad. And we did fine until injuries plagued the Colts.

I know everybody is also railing on Adam Vinatieri, for the missed field goals. Maybe he's done, I don't know.  What I do know is EVERYBODY has bad years. 

The thing about Rivers, is according to him it's everybody else on the team that is the problem and he's trying to make the team better. I predict the the Chargers will win more games now that he's gone.

As you can guess I am not a fan of Rivers at all.

yeah, I can tell... does not mean you are correct, and you are not.

Brissett doesn’t sniff Rivers jock strap as far as checking all the boxes of what a quarterback should be able to do goes. Rivers is the short term answer for the Colts. Even if we draft a Qb like Love at 13, it’s not reasonable to throw him in the fire like so many teams do with rookies. The super bowl champs didn’t even do that with Patrick Mahomes, who is next level talented. Anyone should look at that situation, or the Rodgers/GB situation, and realize it’s the smart thing to do. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

yeah, I can tell... does not mean you are correct, and you are not.

Brissett doesn’t sniff Rivers jock strap as far as checking all the boxes of what a quarterback should be able to do goes. Rivers is the short term answer for the Colts. Even if we draft a Qb like Love at 13, it’s not reasonable to throw him in the fire like so many teams do with rookies. The super bowl champs didn’t even do that with Patrick Mahomes, who is next level talented. Anyone should look at that situation, or the Rodgers/GB situation, and realize it’s the smart thing to do. 

I totally agree.   Both Superbowl QB's from last year rode the bench for awhile.  

Rivers would be a perfect 2 year bridge.  Once the 2 years are up, there is no wondering if he should be re-signed.   If we draft a QB this year, maybe he ends up playing in 2021 if Rivers is failing.  

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Myles said:

I totally agree.   Both Superbowl QB's from last year rode the bench for awhile.  

Rivers would be a perfect 2 year bridge.  Once the 2 years are up, there is no wondering if he should be re-signed.   If we draft a QB this year, maybe he ends up playing in 2021 if Rivers is failing.  

Rivers likely runs Indy’s offense next year better than anyone we could bring in. He has played under Reich and Sirriani both, and would slide right in understanding their playbook and philosophy. Reich would focus on Rivers strengths and Ballard can continue focusing on building the roster without forcing the issue at QB. I don’t see how forcing quarterback in the first round is the answer, unless they are just absolutely sold on someone. I don’t see it right now. Would I like Love this draft? Yes, but at 13, it’s a risk, let alone moving up for him. I’d rather pick a premium player at 13, which could very well happen this draft, and see who slides at QB. Give them time under a true vet to develop and by then, this roster will be deep and hopefully very talented. 

• Like 2

If Rivers signs, and JB backs him up, they are both Wolfpackers.

If Herbert is drafted and Mariota signs, the Offense is all Ducked up! The backup would be a Sitting Duck....

• Haha 1

Rumor is Rivers may end up as an announcer...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/05/philip-rivers-could-find-a-home-in-the-espn-booth/

...New York Post report that says ESPN would like to pair Al Michaels with Peyton Manning also says that ESPN has shown interest in Rivers...

...Rivers could be the fallback option if Manning spurns ESPN...

...he’s likely to have suitors — both among NFL teams looking for a starting quarterback, and among television networks looking for a broadcaster.

• Like 1

Im almost certain we are signing a vet QB. Ballard keeps mentioning adding explosion to the offense. Even if he upgrades the WR you still wont have much explosiveness this year if you start a rookie QB.  CB is looking for drastic improvent on last years totals. The ideal thing to do is upgrade the WR and bring in a Vet QB like Carr or Rivers. Draft the young QB to sit for at least this year.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jimmy g said:

If Rivers signs, and JB backs him up, they are both Wolfpackers.

If Herbert is drafted and Mariota signs, the Offense is all Ducked up! The backup would be a Sitting Duck....

Well played!    Bravo!!

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

With Rivers moving his family to Florida you would think there would be more stories linking him to the Bucs

They moved to the panhandle.  Their like a five or six hour drive from Tampa.... Might as well consider any east of the Rockies team if you have to travel that far.

18 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

They moved to the panhandle.  Their like a five or six hour drive from Tampa.... Might as well consider any east of the Rockies team if you have to travel that far.

Good point but still a way shorter flight than flying to Indy. 
I mean he had a driver and commuted from San Diego to LA. 

On 3/6/2020 at 12:05 AM, Zoltan said:

With Rivers moving his family to Florida you would think there would be more stories linking him to the Bucs

that’s strictly for tax purposes... He’s looking to cash in for the next few years and then be a retiree in the good old tax safe haven state of Florida. 

It is looking more and more like Rivers from the latest news. Drafting Anthony Gordon from Washington State is in the rumor mill or even trading up to get one of the highly rated QBs. Tough call for the GM.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2020 at 7:28 AM, RollerColt said:

images mlb playoffs GIF

Peyton almost --- should have --- won that game too! :) 

Adam missed a chippie 25 yard field goal with time running out after Peyton brought us back in the rain against the Chargers.

I was there. really great "almost" comeback.

On 2/17/2020 at 9:45 AM, rockywoj said:

I actually am all for Rivers.  To me, he’s one of those all-time warrior type of QBs.  Reminds me of Favre.  Two years of him rejuvenated behind a top notch OL, yeah, I MUCH prefer this as compared to trading the 1st for Carr or even using the 1st on a QB reach in the draft.

Give me Rivers without expending draft capital, get a first round stud D prospect like Kinlaw to further beef up that defence, and bring in another high quality WR weapon in the 2nd round.  I think the “team” will be much better off for it and I think Rivers is a QB that can still lead a good team to the promised land. He should be well motivated for some late, late career heroics.  

The only thing that would be worst than signing rivers would be keeping Brissett.

• Thanks 3
27 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

The only thing that would be worst than signing rivers would be keeping Brissett.

I see both of those things happening, in fact I expect it

On 3/8/2020 at 10:42 AM, Dogg63 said:

Interesting, that rating scale puts JB at 19th passing and 10th rushing.

That scale must be broken because according to this forum JB is worse than any QB who ever touched a football. Sigh.

He is awful cant beat zone coverage doesn't throw more than 5 yards past the LOS most of the time you cant win like that if your passing game is 30th or worst in the league especially when your running game still isn't exactly consistent.

• Thanks 1
On 3/8/2020 at 10:42 AM, Dogg63 said:

Interesting, that rating scale puts JB at 19th passing and 10th rushing.

That scale must be broken because according to this forum JB is worse than any QB who ever touched a football. Sigh.

No, he's just close.  lol.  Seriously though, we know what he is here, and I dont think it's good enough.  I think Andy Dalton is talented enough to do above avg. here, if that tells you how good a QB I think we need as a floor.... and that JB is our basement.

59 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

ESPN's NFL Live spent a decent amount of time talking Rivers-to-Colts today. There's a whole lot of smoke out there. Bet it happens by the end of next week.

...or these are the "smoke signals" that  Irsay mentioned, a few weeks ago, that the Colts would be putting out?

Let's see....predictions of Rivers coming here

...of the Colts trading up to the top of the draft to grab Herbert or Love

...of the Colts starting Chad Kelly

If Jacoby lines up under center game one, I am gonna laugh my donkey off!

6 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

...or these are the "smoke signals" that  Irsay mentioned, a few weeks ago, that the Colts would be putting out?

Without a 13th pick now to take a QB, I don't think there's a lot of reasons to send smoke signals about Rivers.

11 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

keep-calm-and-aspire-to-mediocrity.png

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Why is that?  

All the people hyping Rivers to the Colts had ZERO inkling about the Buckner trade. Take this news with a pinch of salt.

We'll see but my expectation at the start of the offseason was Brissett goes into training camp as the starter, and he's joined by a day 2 QB who gets to fight for the starting job. Hurts, Gordon, whoever. I still think that's how the cookie crumbles. 

No one saw Buckner coming. I doubt Rivers is going to be telegraphed by the Colts. The next few free agents who come in will likely be more guys along the line of Sheard or Autry. Underrated, solid signings.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

All the people hyping Rivers to the Colts had ZERO inkling about the Buckner trade. Take this news with a pinch of salt.

We'll see but my expectation at the start of the offseason was Brissett goes into training camp as the starter, and he's joined by a day 2 QB who gets to fight for the starting job. Hurts, Gordon, whoever. I still think that's how the cookie crumbles. 

No one saw Buckner coming. I doubt Rivers is going to be telegraphed by the Colts. The next few free agents who come in will likely be more guys along the line of Sheard or Autry. Underrated, solid signings.

Nobody saw Buckner specifically, but that's because he was still under contract. Several on the board have suggested we go big in FA for a DT though. A few of us were just chatting a few days ago that we think 2 of the 4 biggest needs (QB, 3T, WR, OT) would be covered in FA.

On Rivers, there's a lot of smoke, and it's not just the "xxxx is linked to the Colts because of cap space" kind of smoke. A lot of solid and connected reporters have suggested it. It absolutely may not materialize, but it's seeming more and more possible. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Nobody saw Buckner specifically, but that's because he was still under contract. Several on the board have suggested we go big in FA for a DT though. A few of us were just chatting a few days ago that we think 2 of the 4 biggest needs (QB, 3T, WR, OT) would be covered in FA.

On Rivers, there's a lot of smoke, and it's not just the "xxxx is linked to the Colts because of cap space" kind of smoke. A lot of solid and connected reporters have suggested it. It absolutely may not materialize, but it's seeming more and more possible. 

We'll see. 

Many were pretty sure Jordan Love was going to be a Colt.

I'm resigned to the notion of Brissett starting another season while hoping an Anthony Gordon or some other rookie can soundly best him in TC.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

We'll see. 

Many were pretty sure Jordan Love was going to be a Colt.

I'm resigned to the notion of Brissett starting another season while hoping an Anthony Gordon or some other rookie can soundly best him in TC.

I wouldn't be shocked if Love fell and still ended up with Indy at 34 lol... 

I wouldn't be unhappy if we got Gordon in the mid rounds, but I really only like that with Rivers coming in to mentor.

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Love fell and still ended up with Indy at 34 lol... 

I wouldn't be unhappy if we got Gordon in the mid rounds, but I really only like that with Rivers coming in to mentor.

I think it possibly could happen as well especially if other QB needy teams sign these free agent QBs to start for them. Getting Love at 34 would be great for Indy and would allow him to learn under Rivers for a year or 2. 

Then at 44 overall I would hope Ballard would go WR there to give Indy a true #2 WR.

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

I think it possibly could happen as well especially if other QB needy teams sign these free agent QBs to start for them. Getting Love at 34 would be great for Indy and would allow him to learn under Rivers for a year or 2. 

Then at 44 overall I would hope Ballard would go WR there to give Indy a true #2 WR.

I'd probably want a TE if Kmet was there at 44, and a WR at 75. 

Purely my opinion, but if they bring back Funch, and the injury gods aren't evil to us, having TY, Funch, Campbell, Hines, Doyle, Kmet, and a 3rd round WR...... that's plenty of quality for a guy like Rivers to be successful with.