Indianapolis Colts
Dingus McGirt

Another Rivers to the Colts Prediction

38 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

It’s all kind of a crap shoot anyway  but I really think just having an experienced ex franchise QB, he will at least be able to put us in the right calls from the Los. He doesn’t have to throw deep all the time just enough to keep the defense honest. 

The problem is, not many of us saw or followed Rivers closely enough to know about the chances he took with his throws. The only reason I did was I had plenty of eggs invested in the Chargers fantasy basket. :) He has the record for most losses in one score games in the SB era, and based on my recollection, we were in a lot of those last year? Read this, for what it is worth:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/11/19/20972603/philip-rivers-los-angeles-chargers-legacy-close-losses-stats

2 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

@Dokken what part do you disagree with? The truth hurts. Just like Mahomes winning the Superbowl in his 3rd year in the league. I know you want your buddy Rivers but he hasn't won anything his entire career. 

So you want to waste another year of Big Q and Leonard on Rivers, accomplishing what? If you want to tank to get better draft position, that's the only funny thing you would get by signing Rivers. If you don't believe me ask the Chargers.

I have to agree with you here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

@Dokken what part do you disagree with? The truth hurts. Just like Mahomes winning the Superbowl in his 3rd year in the league. I know you want your buddy Rivers but he hasn't won anything his entire career. 

So you want to waste another year of Big Q and Leonard on Rivers, accomplishing what? If you want to tank to get better draft position, that's the only funny thing you would get by signing Rivers. If you don't believe me ask the Chargers.

Rivers would be a great bridge QB for a year, who gives the Colts an opportunity to make the playoffs in 2020 IMO. 

With that being said, I also want the Colts to select a QB high in the draft as his successor.

Teddy and JB are in the same mold. I’m tired of posting the stat similarities, but here you are. just Teddy’s. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BridTe00.htm

Very much the same as Brissett with Yards per attempt, passing yards per game and TD’s.

Think I’m the only one who thinks TB is overrated? Listen to this short podcast from September.

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2019-09-16-dont-expect-much-from-teddy-bridgewater-while-drew-brees-is-out/

Like I said, any team signing TB to a huge contract will regret it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The problem is, not many of us saw or followed Rivers closely enough to know about the chances he took with his throws. The only reason I did was I had plenty of eggs invested in the Chargers fantasy basket. :) He has the record for most losses in one score games in the SB era, and based on my recollection, we were in a lot of those last year? Read this, for what it is worth:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/11/19/20972603/philip-rivers-los-angeles-chargers-legacy-close-losses-stats

I have to agree with you here.

Love and Fromm had bad years too. I think we need to prove Rivers is because of his age or circumstances.

20 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Love and Fromm had bad years too. I think we need to prove Rivers is because of his age or circumstances.

Who do we need to prove it to? The fans on this forum? The fans in this league? I don't think we need to prove anything to anyone. We don't need a costly "prove it" experiment costing $25 mil./year, rather have Love or Fromm at a fraction of the cost.

On 2/17/2020 at 11:31 AM, ponyboy said:

I think the trade market for JB would be tough.  I don't see a team trading for him to be a starter and $13 is too much to pay a back up QB.

$16 million if acquired in a trade, with the Colts eating $5.5 million in dead cap.

On 2/17/2020 at 11:31 AM, ponyboy said:

If the Colts had to pay the $7M 2020 roster bonus (due on 3/22/20) before trading him then maybe it's easier to trade him as a backup with a $6M base salary.  But at that point maybe it's better to keep him as our own $6M backup and cut Hoyer (Hoyer has no 2020 cap impact).

Interesting...

JB's $7 million was guaranteed on September 6, 2019.  Somebody... has to pay it. Typically the contract moves with the player, thus those numbers above.

However, what if Colts can't find a trade partner until the get someone to deal with but after 3/20/2020 (3rd day of new NFL year, day JB gets his 7 million), say April 1??  (Who's the fool, LOL) ??

Trading begins after 4:00 pm on 3/18/2020 (1st day of new NFL Season). What if a trade goes down on 3/19/2020?  Interesting, but I still think JB stays and Colts absorb the whole 21.5 million cap hit too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

$16 million if acquired in a trade, with the Colts eating $5.5 million in dead cap.

Interesting...

JB's $7 million was guaranteed on September 6, 2019.  Somebody... has to pay it. Typically the contract moves with the player, thus those numbers above.

However, what if Colts can't find a trade partner until the get someone to deal with but after 3/20/2020 (3rd day of new NFL year, day JB gets his 7 million), say April 1??  (Who's the fool, LOL) ??

Trading begins after 4:00 pm on 3/18/2020 (1st day of new NFL Season). What if a trade goes down on 3/19/2020?  Interesting, but I still think JB stays and Colts absorb the whole 21.5 million cap hit too.

If, the Colts sign a veteran, then they should or will cut Brissett. 

Hoping to trade a 28th ranked passer that is owed a hefty some with 1 year remaining on his contract, is a pipe dream. 

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Who do we need to prove it to? The fans on this forum? The fans in this league? I don't think we need to prove anything to anyone. We don't need a costly "prove it" experiment costing $25 mil./year, rather have Love or Fromm at a fraction of the cost.

No not fans. He needs to work out for Ballard and company. A fitness test, see his arm up close. See his conditioning. They can tell. If his age is the problem then they won’t bite. If he Wows them then  it could be different. We still need to draft a QB, I just not the 13th pick.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Pro Football Focus published an article today predicting where the top 50 FA will sign and for how much.  They predict Rivers to the Colts for 2yrs 29M per year 34M guaranteed.   They also predict Chris Jones to the Colts in a tag and trade with the Chiefs.  The Chiefs used that strategy  twice last year.  They predict his new contract with the Colts at 4yr 18M per year with 52M guaranteed.  They said the Colts have the draft picks to make the deal and mentioned our two No. 2's. in that segment.  They both sound possible especially with Ballards ties to Kansas City. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Pro Football Focus published an article today predicting where the top 50 FA will sign and for how much.  They predict Rivers to the Colts for 2yrs 29M per year 34M guaranteed.   They also predict Chris Jones to the Colts in a tag and trade with the Chiefs.  The Chiefs used that strategy  twice last year.  They predict his new contract with the Colts at 4yr 18M per year with 52M guaranteed.  They said the Colts have the draft picks to make the deal and mentioned our two No. 2's. in that segment.  They both sound possible especially with Ballards ties to Kansas City. 

Just like they pegged Le’Veon Bell to us last year based on our cap room.

Ballard loves his picks too much to be dealing them to the SB champs in the same conference. :dunno:

Rivers behind a good O line is intriguing but if we do sign him, I really hope we draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round and go down the alex smith, Mahomes route.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Many of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time never won anything, including Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, and John Elway, until he got a running game, but I suspect you're not old enough to have seen any of them play, or you'd know better.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fahlman said:

Many of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time never won anything, including Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, and John Elway, until he got a running game, but I suspect you're not old enough to have seen any of them play, or you'd know better.

Yeah there are a lot of very good and even great QB's that have never won a SB:

Fran Tarkenton (Hall of Famer)

Dan Fouts (Hall of Famer)

Jim Kelly (Hall of Famer)

Warren Moon (Hall of Famer)

Dan Marino (Hall of Famer)

Steve McNair (very good)

Donovan McNabb (Very good)

Andrew Luck (very good)

Cam Newton (very good)

-All notable names I came up with. Phillip Rivers is in the (great category), because he has the stats and longevity in his career which puts him there. I am not sure he is deserving of Hall of Fame status though? He has been to an AFC Title Game as well. Winning a SB is a team accomplishment. To say a QB hasn't won anything because they haven't won a SB is just plain silly. Rivers has won a lot of big games as has the other QB's I have listed.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The talking heads are saying Chris Jones isn't signing for less than Frank Clark.  I think anyone wanting Jones is looking in the neighborhood of at least 5yrs $100M/$60M guaranteed as a starting point.

The Chargers let him walk without a player to be groomed for the future.  That says a lot. I understand they have Tyrod Taylor but that means they value their back up more than the franchise QB they have had for years. The Chargers never made it to a SB and missed the playoffs several times.  Yes, it is a team game but consistently winning counts for something. 

8 hours ago, esmort said:

The talking heads are saying Chris Jones isn't signing for less than Frank Clark.  I think anyone wanting Jones is looking in the neighborhood of at least 5yrs $100M/$60M guaranteed as a starting point.

Everyone has a different opinion on the contract.  That will take care of itself.  The interesting part of the prediction is the tagging part and trading him to the Colts.  Where we do have the resources to make it happen. 

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah there are a lot of very good and even great QB's that have never won a SB:

Fran Tarkenton (Hall of Famer)

Dan Fouts (Hall of Famer)

Jim Kelly (Hall of Famer)

Warren Moon (Hall of Famer)

Dan Marino (Hall of Famer)

Steve McNair (very good)

Donovan McNabb (Very good)

Andrew Luck (very good)

Cam Newton (very good)

-All notable names I came up with. Phillip Rivers is in the (great category), because he has the stats and longevity in his career which puts him there. I am not sure he is deserving of Hall of Fame status though? He has been to an AFC Title Game as well. Winning a SB is a team accomplishment. To say a QB hasn't won anything because they haven't won a SB is just plain silly. Rivers has won a lot of big games as has the other QB's I have listed.

I don't think Rivers is a HOF QB.   He's never been a Top 3 QB in the years he has played.

I do think he would be an improvement at QB for the Colts.   Sign the guy for 2 years!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dokken said:

Rivers would be a great bridge QB for a year, who gives the Colts an opportunity to make the playoffs in 2020 IMO. 

With that being said, I also want the Colts to select a QB high in the draft as his successor.

Teddy and JB are in the same mold. I’m tired of posting the stat similarities, but here you are. just Teddy’s. 

Very much the same as Brissett with Yards per attempt, passing yards per game and TD’s.

Think I’m the only one who thinks TB is overrated? Listen to this short podcast from September.

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2019-09-16-dont-expect-much-from-teddy-bridgewater-while-drew-brees-is-out/

Let me see. Bridgewater pilots the boat to a 5-0 record while Brees is out. Same as Jimmy G, held down the fort while in NE. Now, let's recall that prior to the PITTS game, many people nationally was calling JB an MVP candidate, obviously Lamar won it unanimously (first player ever).  

There is nothing that warrants calling Rivers a better QB than TB when not even his own team who drafted him wants him. And this is totally different from a TB12 situation. RIvers situation is that he just doesn't have the juice anymore. Very similar, to Eli Manning in current abilities as a starting QB. Where's Eli?

I didn't want to go here but I will, Who is a better QB, Tony Romo or P Rivers? Ill give you one more, Who's better Matt Ryan or Rivers?

Better yet, Maybe not a fair comparison. Who's better Rivers or Cam Newton? 

• Confused 3

22 hours ago, Dokken said:

Wait a min, So you look confused about my post but you are sending me links to a radio broadcaster stating "Dont expect much from teddy bridewater while drew brees is out"..

Dont you know Teddy Bridgewater went 5-0 while Brees was out? Now im confused. I asked you questions that you couldn't asnwer so you put a confused emoji because I provided "inaccurate supporting info"? just like TB going 0-5 ? lol you lost me.

28 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Wait a min, So you look confused about my post but you are sending me links to a radio broadcaster stating "Dont expect much from teddy bridewater while drew brees is out"..

Dont you know Teddy Bridgewater went 5-0 while Brees was out? Now im confused. I asked you questions that you couldn't asnwer so you put a confused emoji because I provided "inaccurate supporting info"? just like TB going 0-5 ? lol you lost me.

If, You think the 5-0 record makes TB a great QB, than you’re pretty clueless. 

The Colts started off hot under JB and like you stated, he was being mentioned as a being a MVP candidate. Both were premature knee jerk reactions. 

The podcast was a good breakdown of TB and the 5-0 record didn’t tarnish it in anyway with the segment on TB. 

What makes those two so great? Enlighten me. 

You don’t like Rivers I get it and fail to comprehend what I have stated in previous post. He would be a great or better bridge QB, while letting a rookie sit and giving the Colts a chance to make a playoff run IMO.

Anyways, I’m done with you and know you’re motivation here. 

Cheers

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I don't think Rivers is a HOF QB.   He's never been a Top 3 QB in the years he has played.

I do think he would be an improvement at QB for the Colts.   Sign the guy for 2 years!

I am not sure that he is a Hall of Famer either is why I put him in Great category. He is borderline to me. He would be an upgrade over JB, I agree.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 4:15 PM, CurBeatElite said:

this team is very capable of winning the AFC South with Brissett at QB.

i have a hard time seeing that as long as houston has watson and hopkins

6 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Lol. Ditto "aaron12", an injured JB  and the lack of any receivers worth a damn can't even get us to .500

Fixed it for you.

And I'm not a JB fan   never have been  . but what I changed is the truth

• Like 1

Why would we, Rivers had better receivers in SD then we have now.And still threw a lot of  picks .And now all of a sudden he’s not going to throw any.And when the line breaks down, and it will at time,  then what here comes pick city and down goes our defense.Bridgewater is the better and younger QB.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/19/2020 at 5:07 PM, Dokken said:

If, the Colts sign a veteran, then they should or will cut Brissett. 

Hoping to trade a 28th ranked passer that is owed a hefty some with 1 year remaining on his contract, is a pipe dream. 

If trading JB is even a remote possibility, then taking a conditional 7th is better than purely cutting him. You save 16 million of cap space plus get a 7th round pick, instead of saving just 9 million (with 12.5 million left in dead cap) and no additional draft picks.

There could be a team that loses their QB in OTA's/Camp, etc that may make that move. Who knows.

On 2/20/2020 at 8:06 AM, AwesomeAustin said:

The Chargers let him walk without a player to be groomed for the future.  That says a lot. I understand they have Tyrod Taylor but that means they value their back up more than the franchise QB they have had for years. The Chargers never made it to a SB and missed the playoffs several times.  Yes, it is a team game but consistently winning counts for something. 

I'm interested in building from young high ceiling players, not overpaying vets waning in the twilight of their (often quite great) careers.

Find your young QB that fits your system, or one the system can easily be modified to, draft and bring him in.  Let the QB's all compete (New QB, JB, CK).  Go from there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rog said:

Why would we, Rivers had better receivers in SD then we have now.And still threw a lot of  picks .And now all of a sudden he’s not going to throw any.And when the line breaks down, and it will at time,  then what here comes pick city and down goes our defense.Bridgewater is the better and younger QB.

My thoughts:

Neither Bridgewater or Rivers is a long term answer to having a successful future.  Rivers is available for a 2 years period.  Bridgewater is going to expect a long term deal.  I just don't think he is good enough to lead the team for the next 8-10 years.  

On 2/20/2020 at 11:55 AM, aaron11 said:

i have a hard time seeing that as long as houston has watson and hopkins

We lost 3-4 games last year due to poor kicking.  Turn those around and we would have won the AFC South last year with all those injuries.

On 2/21/2020 at 6:07 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Find your young QB that fits your system, or one the system can easily be modified to, draft and bring him in.  Let the QB's all compete (New QB, JB, CK).  Go from there.

Exactly. The only thing I would add is that there might not be a QB out there right now that they want to spend a high pick on. That 3rd QB might come from the 2nd to 5th round. 

I've become more open to the Rivers acquisition also now that it's a possibility. He'd give us a real chance to compete while grooming a young guy.

On 2/20/2020 at 1:37 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure that he is a Hall of Famer either is why I put him in Great category. He is borderline to me. He would be an upgrade over JB, I agree.

Huge upgrade over JB. He played under both Reich and Sirriani in San Diego so it’s the logical and easy transition to make. Pair him with a top offensive line and run game, TY and Doyle, hope that Campbell shows up in year 2, and bring another couple stud pass catchers in this offseason and let’s roll. I don’t know why people on here think we are going to force the issue at qb. We are going to win football games next year. Roster is too good and continuing to improve to not, regardless of qb play. Let’s improve the position that killed our division chance last year, and continue beefing up the defensive line. 

Ballard has stated they will be true to the evaluation, which means we likely see a 2nd or 3rd round qb drafted. They are doing their due diligence on Love and Herbert. Neither of those guys will be at 13, IMO. 

• Like 1

Phillip Rivers  = Missing the playoffs

Phillip Rivers  = Loosing a lot of your fan base

Phillip Rivers  = To old to be effective

Phillip Rivers  = Bad Fit

Just look at his history,  the only worse choice for a QB is Tom Brady.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

“loosing”

Gordon couldn't predict his own condition accurately. I wouldn't take anything he says about Rivers to Indy seriously.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

History? Rivers in 2018 had 32 TDs / 12 INTs, and a top 10 QBR... Just a slot or two behind Luck. And had a far worse OL. 

I don't think Rivers is all that, and don't want him long term, but I'll take him as a bridge/mentor with a young rook. And and bad fit? Reich would probably strongly disagree given their past. 

Philip Rivers = more wins than with JB

Philip Rivers = losing less fans than standing pat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2020 at 9:37 PM, CurBeatElite said:

We lost 3-4 games last year due to poor kicking.  Turn those around and we would have won the AFC South last year with all those injuries.

texans and titans both had close losses too, they are still ahead if a play or two had gone their way as well 

On 2/29/2020 at 8:41 AM, ColtStrong2013 said:

“loosing”

It's very interesting on how this was the focus of your response, a typo.

Never the less, Phillip Rivers is not the answer for the Colts.

Jacoby Brissett was not bad. And we did fine until injuries plagued the Colts.

I know everybody is also railing on Adam Vinatieri, for the missed field goals. Maybe he's done, I don't know.  What I do know is EVERYBODY has bad years. 

The thing about Rivers, is according to him it's everybody else on the team that is the problem and he's trying to make the team better. I predict the the Chargers will win more games now that he's gone.

As you can guess I am not a fan of Rivers at all.

On 2/29/2020 at 7:59 AM, EastStreet said:

History? Rivers in 2018 had 32 TDs / 12 INTs, and a top 10 QBR... Just a slot or two behind Luck. And had a far worse OL. 

I don't think Rivers is all that, and don't want him long term, but I'll take him as a bridge/mentor with a young rook. And and bad fit? Reich would probably strongly disagree given their past. 

Philip Rivers = more wins than with JB

Philip Rivers = losing less fans than standing pat

Rivers has no fear about driving the football downfield. The offense will definitely open up with him back there. And he loves to utilize the tight ends so maybe we get to see more of what a guy like Mo Cox has.

• Like 1