Indianapolis Colts
Dingus McGirt

Another Rivers to the Colts Prediction

If it comes down to signing rivers or trading pick 34 for Carr, hope Ballard chooses Carr. I know CB loves his picks but Carr is 29 and would be a good fit for us. This would put us back in win now mode. Signing rivers would probably mean we’d have to use a high pick on a QB also. Do we really need to double dip at the QB position, when you can get a really good QB for the 34th pick? Signing Rivers for 23mil then using 13th or 34th etc on a rookie QB would tell me ballard is ok with waiting 3+ years to really be competing for a Super Bowl. Just my two cents.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Man, I hope not. I can’t ever forgive Rivers for his behavior in that playoff game that was also the last game in the RCA Dome. 

Does NO one remember Rivers’ Nov game against the Chiefs? He threw 4 interceptions and they were his fault. A fifth was called back for a non related penalty on the D. 

He threw 7 interceptions in two consecutive games. Rivers has regressed badly. Signing him would be a terrible mistake. Stick a fork in him. He’s not the same player. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I actually am all for Rivers.  To me, he’s one of those all-time warrior type of QBs.  Reminds me of Favre.  Two years of him rejuvenated behind a top notch OL, yeah, I MUCH prefer this as compared to trading the 1st for Carr or even using the 1st on a QB reach in the draft.

Give me Rivers without expending draft capital, get a first round stud D prospect like Kinlaw to further beef up that defence, and bring in another high quality WR weapon in the 2nd round.  I think the “team” will be much better off for it and I think Rivers is a QB that can still lead a good team to the promised land. He should be well motivated for some late, late career heroics.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I'd be excited to have a year or two of Rivers mentoring a young guy like Love, Eason, Fromm... And choosing to draft a LT or DL at 13.  It's probably not likely that they trade up to get what looks to a less than usually talented third QB in the draft, so why not see if Rivers can do better than last year's JB with a better line, and organization around him.

He makes iffy decisions, but the guy can read a defense, and has a ton of experience to impart.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Does NO one remember Rivers’ Nov game against the Chiefs? He threw 4 interceptions and they were his fault. A fifth was called back for a non related penalty on the D. 

He threw 7 interceptions in two consecutive games. Rivers has regressed badly. Signing him would be a terrible mistake. Stick a fork in him. He’s not the same player. 

Peyton threw six interceptions in a game once. Five in the first half. 

Not saying I want Rivers, but don’t act like he’s the only player that’s done something like this. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Peyton threw six interceptions in a game once. Five in the first half. 

Not saying I want Rivers, but don’t act like he’s the only player that’s done something like this. 

images mlb playoffs GIF

I would be shocked if Ballard signed Rivers. Having a ton of money wrapped up in two "ehh" Qb's would only make sense for a team that had a dead nuts great roster and no QB. I don't think he goes for Carr either.

44 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I actually am all for Rivers.  To me, he’s one of those all-time warrior type of QBs.  Reminds me of Favre.  Two years of him rejuvenated behind a top notch OL, yeah, I MUCH prefer this as compared to trading the 1st for Carr or even using the 1st on a QB reach in the draft.

Give me Rivers without expending draft capital, get a first round stud D prospect like Kinlaw to further beef up that defence, and bring in another high quality WR weapon in the 2nd round.  I think the “team” will be much better off for it and I think Rivers is a QB that can still lead a good team to the promised land. He should be well motivated for some late, late career heroics.  

Signing Rivers for 1-2 years with Kinlaw, Aiyuk/Jefferson, and Arnette/Dantzler with our 1st three picks could put us right back into playoff contention. Meanwhile, see what Brissett and Kelly can do in training camp and plan for next year after the 2020 season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I would rather have a band-aid than the current open wound. Besides, Rivers is not meant to be the ultimate solution...he is merely a stopgap and mentor for whatever rookie they draft. 

Reich and Sirianni came to Indy to coach a top tier QB and win. This roster is likely good enough to compete...but another season of JB offers neither top tier QB play or the real chance to win. Rivers might...and that's really all they can do at this point...until the next guy is ready to take over.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I would be shocked if Ballard signed Rivers. Having a ton of money wrapped up in two "ehh" Qb's would only make sense for a team that had a dead nuts great roster and no QB. I don't think he goes for Carr either.

IF the Colts sign Rivers...JB will be gone in a trade. That is what is best for both parties...and they will not carry two QBs with $35-40M in cap space tied up. JB likely doesn't have a ton of trade value...but the trading team is only taking on $13M (which isn't a ton in the current QB market)...so he's definitely moveable...even if it requires some creativity.

JB is currently a sunk cost...and whatever dead cap space is ultimately attached to him is just that. But by trading him...you would be freeing up $15-16M in cap space...which can be used to get a better stop gap. So whatever additional cap space (above the $15-16M you saved) is what that new QB costs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

It was a game in Mexico City. Rivers was real bad...but Mahomes wasn't great either. 

Just two years ago..at age 37...he was a Pro Bowler. He could be done...which is why it would be a short deal...but there's also a chance he's not...and the Colts can squeeze 1-2 seasons of top 15 QB play out of him.

36 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

IF the Colts sign Rivers...JB will be gone in a trade. That is what is best for both parties...and they will not carry two QBs with $35-40M in cap space tied up. JB likely doesn't have a ton of trade value...but the trading team is only taking on $13M (which isn't a ton in the current QB market)...so he's definitely moveable...even if it requires some creativity.

I think the trade market for JB would be tough.  I don't see a team trading for him to be a starter and $13 is too much to pay a back up QB.

If the Colts had to pay the $7M 2020 roster bonus (due on 3/22/20) before trading him then maybe it's easier to trade him as a backup with a $6M base salary.  But at that point maybe it's better to keep him as our own $6M backup and cut Hoyer (Hoyer has no 2020 cap impact).

7 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

I think the trade market for JB would be tough.  I don't see a team trading for him to be a starter and $13 is too much to pay a back up QB.

If the Colts had to pay the $7M 2020 roster bonus (due on 3/22/20) before trading him then maybe it's easier to trade him as a backup with a $6M base salary.  But at that point maybe it's better to keep him as our own $6M backup and cut Hoyer (Hoyer has no 2020 cap impact).

I don't think we would get anything in a trade for him at his salary.  Not really good enough to be your plan A and his contract is too big to be a backup.  

He would have to be released or we would just have to eat the cost and let him be our backup.  But in terms of roster spots we would I think be drafting a guy to learn behind Rivers and Kelly is there as well.  At least one would have to go.

For the record I doubt we sign Rivers.  He moved his family to Florida right after the season ended.  I have to think there is a reason for that.  Why move just to move again a few months later? 

• Like 1

The only reason that I'm not sure it's a lock that Rivers becomes a Colt is that the idea is becoming conventional wisdom.

Maybe there's a better move to be made, but if it's Rivers or JB, it's not a debate. Take the band aid option, as that's better than a team deteriorating infection. 

And #13 should be used to find a QB if Ballard likes who's available irrespective. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

I think they could actually cut Jacoby thrn resign him

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

You wouldn't sign Rivers and keep Jacoby, I wouldn't imagine... It'd be cut JB to pay for 9mil of Rivers contract, and have Rivers, draftee, Kelly, at qb

55 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't think we would get anything in a trade for him at his salary.  Not really good enough to be your plan A and his contract is too big to be a backup.  

He would have to be released or we would just have to eat the cost and let him be our backup.  But in terms of roster spots we would I think be drafting a guy to learn behind Rivers and Kelly is there as well.  At least one would have to go.

For the record I doubt we sign Rivers.  He moved his family to Florida right after the season ended.  I have to think there is a reason for that.  Why move just to move again a few months later? 

Someone said his extended family lives in Florida and that would be his base regardless of where he plays 

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

Someone said his extended family lives in Florida and that would be his base regardless of where he plays 

I doubt that highly.  I suppose you can see the value of maybe owning a property there for when you retire.   But a family man like Rivers leaving his family in Florida to play in Indy and not seeing them for most of the time from August to January?

It's possible that the move is only to get a property in FL and his family will move with him where-ever he plays for the next couple years.  But it all seems very odd to me.  

Albert Breer just said on the Colin Cowherd show that Rivers is definitely interested in joining the Colts for all the reasons mentioned.  Breer does not know if the Colts are interested in him even though it's been reported that Siranni is trying to recruit him.  Sounds like he wants to come according to Breer.  

5 hours ago, Hoose said:

:agree:

51 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Albert Breer just said on the Colin Cowherd show that Rivers is definitely interested in joining the Colts for all the reasons mentioned.  Breer does not know if the Colts are interested in him even though it's been reported that Siranni is trying to recruit him.  Sounds like he wants to come according to Breer.  

:yuk:

5 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I would rather have a band-aid than the current open wound. Besides, Rivers is not meant to be the ultimate solution...he is merely a stopgap and mentor for whatever rookie they draft. 

Reich and Sirianni came to Indy to coach a top tier QB and win. This roster is likely good enough to compete...but another season of JB offers neither top tier QB play or the real chance to win. Rivers might...and that's really all they can do at this point...until the next guy is ready to take over.

Reich and Sirianni have connections to Rivers, so it makes sense that these rumors are floating around.  It would make sense if Reich/Sirianni feel like River's is a significant improvement over Brissett for them to bring him in, since he'd have a good feel of the system right out of the gates.

However, while I agree another season of JB may offer no top-tier QB play, I don't think it stops us from being able to win.  Ballard said since day 1 that he doesn't build teams just around 1 player.  We didn't get the greatest QB play from Brissett last year, but we had injuries all over the board and we had some really close games lost.  For example, we could've easily been 9-7 or 10-6 if Vinny didn't have his kicking woes.  We split with the Titans and Texans.  The Titans went on to the AFC Championship game as the 6 seed and put up a good fight against eventual SB Champs KC, who we beat early in the year.  If we improve our DL, keep our OL intact, and add some depth across the board and stay healthy, this team is very capable of winning the AFC South with Brissett at QB.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, CurBeatElite said:

If we improve our DL, keep our OL intact, and add some depth across the board and stay healthy, this team is very capable of winning the AFC South with Brissett at QB.

Who's going backwards? 3 other teams are trying to improve too and they've all got better QB situations as it stands today and in other areas it largely a wash. The Texans D or the Colts D? The Jags D or the Colts D ect. I don't think the Colts have one area of strength that's so obvious that you can pencil this thing in for much of anything right now. The O line maybe? They buy JB plenty of time to scan the field, he goes first read anyway, winds up, yanks his head to look at the ground while chucking the ball at 100 mph. It's not good and it mitigates whatever advantage the lines protection buys. I'd be shocked if it improves to be real honest and I don't really want to have to find out. I'd just move on. 2 of the last 3 years of this now and we're all supposed to be in wait and see mode still. I'm not.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Who's going backwards? 3 other teams are trying to improve too and they've all got better QB situations as it stands today and in other areas it largely a wash. The Texans D or the Colts D? The Jags D or the Colts D ect. I don't think the Colts have one area of strength that's so obvious that you can pencil this thing in for much of anything right now. The O line maybe? They buy JB plenty of time to scan the field, he goes first read anyway, winds up, yanks his head to look at the ground while chucking the ball at 100 mph. It's not good and it mitigates whatever advantage the lines protection buys. I'd be shocked if it improves to be real honest and I don't really want to have to find out. I'd just move on. 2 of the last 3 years of this now and we're all supposed to be in wait and see mode still. I'm not.

We're not necessarily going forward just by drafting an unproven QB or signing an old vet.  We can go forward with Brissett if we make improvements to glaring areas of weakness we saw last year (pass rush, IDL play, at times secondary play, and lack of depth at WR/TE).  Of course every team is trying to improve every year... but that doesn't mean we can't improve as a team if we don't overspend in FA or reach in the draft to get a new QB.

I'll trust Ballard and Co. here to do what's best.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

We're not necessarily going forward just by drafting an unproven QB or signing an old vet.  We can go forward with Brissett if we make improvements to glaring areas of weakness we saw last year (pass rush, IDL play, at times secondary play, and lack of depth at WR/TE).  Of course every team is trying to improve every year... but that doesn't mean we can't improve as a team if we don't overspend in FA or reach in the draft to get a new QB.

I'll trust Ballard and Co. here to do what's best.

Why is it one or the other? Like a vet simply can't do it, but a guy who hasn't done it is going to ("it" being defined as playing pretty well). Is the squad "going forward" (as in improving) with Brissett if he plays like he's established he does or are we waiting out the 2020 season to run into this issue of needing to find a QB again? In my opinion it's a serious gamble to keep the JB course and if it doesn't work (and I'm strongly convinced it won't) at some point people are going to start talking about jobs for better or worse. Year 5 of Ballard's tenure, it is what it is. I don't think it's totally fair, but what's coming down the pike is going to define whether or not this has been a lot of nothing or something. 

I hope Ballard get's this right, but who knows? It's not obvious what's going to be available or what's desired. And smart people strike out on drafting QB's all of the time. Old QB's flame out. JB is a backup.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shastamasta said:

JB is currently a sunk cost...and whatever dead cap space is ultimately attached to him is just that. But by trading him...you would be freeing up $15-16M in cap space...which can be used to get a better stop gap. So whatever additional cap space (above the $15-16M you saved) is what that new QB costs. 

I understand the Colts would not sign Rivers and keep Brissett. I was talking about signing Rivers and taking the cap hit with Jacoby. Thus you have an awful lot of money invested to end up with Rivers as a 1 year stop gap guy.I understand I was not clear but in no way would I ver think the Colts would keep Jacoby if Rivers were signed.

6 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I agree, my take is would you rather have JB or Rivers groom the future of our team. I think Rivers is the clear better option.

Aside from the miracle of Luck coming back for a year

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Why is it one or the other? Like a vet simply can't do it, but a guy who hasn't done it is going to ("it" being defined as playing pretty well). Is the squad "going forward" (as in improving) with Brissett if he plays like he's established he does or are we waiting out the 2020 season to run into this issue of needing to find a QB again? In my opinion it's a serious gamble to keep the JB course and if it doesn't work (and I'm strongly convinced it won't) at some point people are going to start talking about jobs for better or worse. Year 5 of Ballard's tenure, it is what it is. I don't think it's totally fair, but what's coming down the pike is going to define whether or not this has been a lot of nothing or something. 

I hope Ballard get's this right, but who knows? It's not obvious what's going to be available or what's desired. And smart people strike out on drafting QB's all of the time. Old QB's flame out. JB is a backup.

JB was very efficient the first 6 weeks or so of the season.  He had a knee injury which some claim kept him from stepping into his throws, he lost a bunch of weapons, etc.  He was very mediocre the rest of the season.  It could be that teams just figured out with him at the helm, our O was going to be very vanilla, it could be he was hurt, it could be he lacked weapons, it could be that he's simply no good.  It could be a combination of all those things.  I trust Reich and Ballard to do the full evaluation to figure out the way to go forward.

Personally, if one of the stud DL or WR is available at 13 and we'd be reaching for a QB there, I'd rather go with the stud DL or WR.  Really, outside of LSU's QB who will go #1 overall, I don't see any QBs in this draft as being 'locks' as franchise QBs.  Then on the FA market we have Rivers and potentially Eli, Brees and Brady as older QBs.  Sounds like Rivers would be the only realistic option and who  knows what we'd get from him.  Then there's a bunch of talk about maybe Bridgewater or Carr, who are both kind of wild cards.

Again, I'll trust Ballard & Co.... but I don't know that there is one specific answer to the question.  There are a lot of good players in this draft at positions we need.  I don't think we're entirely taking a step back if we stuck with Brissett and Kelly to see if either one of them could improve to become true starter level, so long as we fixed other glaring holes and added depth where needed.  To be honest, I think we'd be better off in the long-run there rather than missing studs and reaching for a QB who is iffy at best.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

JB was very efficient the first 6 weeks or so of the season.  He had a knee injury which some claim kept him from stepping into his throws, he lost a bunch of weapons, etc.  He was very mediocre the rest of the season.  It could be that teams just figured out with him at the helm, our O was going to be very vanilla, it could be he was hurt, it could be he lacked weapons, it could be that he's simply no good.  It could be a combination of all those things.  I trust Reich and Ballard to do the full evaluation to figure out the way to go forward.

Personally, if one of the stud DL or WR is available at 13 and we'd be reaching for a QB there, I'd rather go with the stud DL or WR.  Really, outside of LSU's QB who will go #1 overall, I don't see any QBs in this draft as being 'locks' as franchise QBs.  Then on the FA market we have Rivers and potentially Eli, Brees and Brady as older QBs.  Sounds like Rivers would be the only realistic option and who  knows what we'd get from him.  Then there's a bunch of talk about maybe Bridgewater or Carr, who are both kind of wild cards.

Again, I'll trust Ballard & Co.... but I don't know that there is one specific answer to the question.  There are a lot of good players in this draft at positions we need.  I don't think we're entirely taking a step back if we stuck with Brissett and Kelly to see if either one of them could improve to become true starter level, so long as we fixed other glaring holes and added depth where needed.  To be honest, I think we'd be better off in the long-run there rather than missing studs and reaching for a QB who is iffy at best.

Your assuming taking a QB at 13 is a reach. You might think it is but who knows how ballard has the QB ranked.  Every QB will be a reach to some colt fans if we don’t get to take one at one or two in the draft. We will never get a Qb with that attitude.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Your assuming taking a QB at 13 is a reach. You might think it is but who knows how ballard has the QB ranked.  Every QB will be a reach to colt fans if we don’t get to take one at one or two in the draft.

That's why I said I'll trust Ballard & Co.  I don't know how Reich and Ballard have QBs ranked.  It may not be a reach to draft a QB at 13 (or to move up or down to get one they like).  However, unless they've got a lot of confidence in a guy, I'd be not at all disappointed in them taking a stud player at another position of need.  Taking a QB at 13 just to take one (i.e., if Ballard and Reich are not fully confident in him) would be a worse set back than taking a stud at another position and sticking with Jacoby for another year.

I trust the coaching staff and FO more than myself or anyone on this board to make those decisions.  My point is, I  don't think it's the end of the world if we're stuck with Jacoby for another season.  There are plenty of improvements needed on this team which can be addressed otherwise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hoose said:

Signing Rivers would be a complete mistake and waste of resources. I would rather pay Teddy Bridgewater as there is absolutely no upside to Rivers compared to Teddy. If there were upside, we would have seen it by now. Not in his 16th or so season. "And starting for the Indy Colts, 17 yr QB Philip Rivers. Make some NOISE!"

We've seen what holding on to a player for too long get us. see Adam V. lose important games ala Pittsburgh when it was a winnable game, even with JB getting hurt and the third string QB throwing a pick 6. No to Rivers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rivers makes a lot of sense coming to the Colts. Not only he knows the offense due to his relationship with the OC-Siriani. HC-Reich, but the Oline is perfect for him to be protected and  make his completions. He's also durable. I hope Ballard makes this happen, so we can be competitive again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ponyboy said:

whoa whoa whoa... I thought he was worth at least a 2nd rounder?   That was the sentiment around here before the season started.

#naivecoltsfans 

Even when he had good OL protection, he made a lot of bad decisions last year throwing into double coverage. I am not so sure about him not being the same TO machine with the Colts. His arm strength is not the same and Mike Williams came down with some insane catches on 50/50 balls to bail him out, IMO. 

I don't know, I shudder he could cost the Colts games with turnovers, trying to take chances, and would leave us no better than we were with Brissett, the more I think about it.

It’s all kind of a crap shoot anyway  but I really think just having an experienced ex franchise QB, he will at least be able to put us in the right calls from the Los. He doesn’t have to throw deep all the time just enough to keep the defense honest. 

On 2/17/2020 at 6:25 PM, Rackeen305 said:

Signing Rivers would be a complete mistake and waste of resources. I would rather pay Teddy Bridgewater as there is absolutely no upside to Rivers compared to Teddy. If there were upside, we would have seen it by now. Not in his 16th or so season. "And starting for the Indy Colts, 17 yr QB Philip Rivers. Make some NOISE!"

We've seen what holding on to a player for too long get us. see Adam V. lose important games ala Pittsburgh when it was a winnable game, even with JB getting hurt and the third string QB throwing a pick 6. No to Rivers.

@Dokken what part do you disagree with? The truth hurts. Just like Mahomes winning the Superbowl in his 3rd year in the league. I know you want your buddy Rivers but he hasn't won anything his entire career. 

So you want to waste another year of Big Q and Leonard on Rivers, accomplishing what? If you want to tank to get better draft position, that's the only funny thing you would get by signing Rivers. If you don't believe me ask the Chargers.

• Like 1