Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

COLTS ARE ONE CB AWAY FROM BEING A SB LOCK....WHAT DO U GUYS THINK

natelombardi

IMHO, nobody is a super bowl lock, regardless of the team make up. Look at NE a few years ago. Undefeated season and beat in the SB by the Giants. Injuries and luck have a lot to do with winning the SB each year. It is not always the best team that wins it all, it is the one with a lot of talent but an equal dose of luck IMHO. A CB would be nice but won't be the determining factor in the season.

[ ]Mod Edit

Can you say that on the internet?

Oh, and there's no such thing as a lock until you're up by 8 touchdowns with 2 minutes left, regardless of who's on the field.

Unless, PMs the opposing QB, then you may need to be up 9 touchdowns with 2 minutes left.

I see you're making up for the lack of capital letters in the rest of your posts by making this one IN ALL CAPS.

I think all of his posts have been in all caps, at least all I've seen. It's seriously annoying and not reader friendly. TRY TO TURN YOUR CAPS OFF.

On the subject, yes I do think we need to bring in another CB... I don't see that happening now though, especially not Asante. Although, I would like to have him....

We also don't play any man-to-man, so someone who specializes in that department would likely find their talents wasted (as well as a lot of our salary cap space) on this team.

A good coach adjusts the scheme to best utilize the skills and physical abilities that are available. You can play a mix of man and zone; it doesn't have to be strictly zone or strictly man. If you have a good man-to-man cornerback, you can have that CB play man on a specific receiver and assign the rest of the defensive backs to zones. The salary cap ramifications are a good reason not to go out and get a good man-to-man CB, but wasting his talents in our system is not. If you could get a good man-to-man CB for the same price as one of our zone CBs (and I'm not saying you can do this), the only reason not to do it would be that you don't have coaches good enough to adjust the scheme to utilize his talents.

A good coach adjusts the scheme to best utilize the skills and physical abilities that are available. You can play a mix of man and zone; it doesn't have to be strictly zone or strictly man. If you have a good man-to-man cornerback, you can have that CB play man on a specific receiver and assign the rest of the defensive backs to zones. The salary cap ramifications are a good reason not to go out and get a good man-to-man CB, but wasting his talents in our system is not. If you could get a good man-to-man CB for the same price as one of our zone CBs (and I'm not saying you can do this), the only reason not to do it would be that you don't have coaches good enough to adjust the scheme to utilize his talents.

I agree talent is talent a good coach can use talent in any system

No such thing as a lock and the Colts have corners that can play very well in the system. You don't see a lot of man and we don't need the so called "shut down" corner on this team, especially at today's prices for corners. High $ corners and fat DT's are not how the Colts D is built. Pass rushing from the edges and LB's filling the gaps is what the Colts do. Don't like it, apply for the job of DC and start from scratch. It should only take about 4 or 5 seasons to get the players you need to change how the Colts play defense.

IMHO, nobody is a super bowl lock, regardless of the team make up. Look at NE a few years ago. Undefeated season and beat in the SB by the Giants. Injuries and luck have a lot to do with winning the SB each year. It is not always the best team that wins it all, it is the one with a lot of talent but an equal dose of luck IMHO. A CB would be nice but won't be the determining factor in the season.

This. Thank you.

Ahhhhhh, NO !

Better CB(s) would help, of course, but a LOCK? No team is a lock. Not even the Eagles, and look what they've added.

I seem to remember a few years back when NE was 18-0 and a "LOCK" to win the SB. It didn't happen, did it?

While I agree it would help to get us there, there is NO WAY I would stretch it to ever say a lock.

Just my opinion.

Are you sure you aren't Jim with a new name?

This sounds like something he would say.

ASANTE SAMUEL WOULD BE NICE BUT AT LEAST A CB WITH SPEED AND MAN 2 MAN SKILLS

Our D revolves around our ability to get to the QB. We don't need spectacular corners. This is why we have Freeney, Mathis, and now Hughes. We call them FUSE. but seriously. Thats what our D has always been about. If our guys can get to the QB, thats all that will matter and we wont have to break the bank on a CB in order to have a good D. Powers, lacey and Tryon can get the job done. And now that we have Nevis, hopefully, the QB will have even less time to throw.