Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marlon Mack Contract Situation: Stats, Poll, & Discussion

EastStreet

Marlon Mack Contract Situation: Stats, Poll, & Discussion  

79 members have voted

1. 1. In general, what are your thoughts about Mack's contract situation

• We should extend early
    • We don't need to extend now, re-sign after the season
    • Don't extend/re-sign. Replace via draft or FA.
    • I'm indifferent on the situation, things will work themselves out
  2. 2. Assuming we extend/re-sign, how long?

• Additional 2 years (through 2022)
    • Additional 3 years (through 2023)
    • Additional 4 years (through 2024)
  3. 3. Mack's new salary (average per year) should be?

• Top 5 (at least $8.3M)
    • 6th - 10th range ($5.0-8.0M)
    • 11th-15th range ($4.0-4.9M)
    • 16-20th range (M3.0-3.9M)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/19/2020 at 05:00 AM

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WifiGuy said:

I think everyone better be prepared to see CB draft Mack's replacement this yr

nah, if they do, it will be a mid round shot... 

as far as immediate needs, RB is near the bottom....

and if we were to go high, it would be the year Mack's contract is up.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

nah, if they do, it will be a mid round shot... 

as far as immediate needs, RB is near the bottom....

and if we were to go high, it would be the year Mack's contract is up.

which is the end of 2020.  This is his last yr.   I doubt Ballard wants to pay him a big contract. He would rather draft his replacement and move on, pay less, and find a more complete back.

Otherwise I think they would have worked it out already or been working on it.  When I heard Irsay just so no that wasn't correct, I started thinking about it.

1 minute ago, WifiGuy said:

which is the end of 2020.  This is his last yr.   I doubt Ballard wants to pay him a big contract. He would rather draft his replacement and move on, pay less, and find a more complete back.

Otherwise I think they would have worked it out already or been working on it.  When I heard Irsay just so no that wasn't correct, I started thinking about it.

RBs are devalued and fungible, especially with good OLs. No need to extend right now IMO. What if he got hurt this year. And why draft early this year, basically wasting a cheap year with both a new RB and Mack on the roster. At most, take a shot in the mid to late rounds if there's someone you like that drops this year, or just wait till next year and take a RB in the 2nd-4th. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

RBs are devalued and fungible, especially with good OLs. No need to extend right now IMO. What if he got hurt this year. And why draft early this year, basically wasting a cheap year with both a new RB and Mack on the roster. At most, take a shot in the mid to late rounds if there's someone you like that drops this year, or just wait till next year and take a RB in the 2nd-4th. 

Not saying take one early unless one of the top 2 fall to the 2nd or 3rd .  I'm saying do it just like we did with Mack .  have the new guy learn behind him like they did with Gore.   

57 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Not saying take one early unless one of the top 2 fall to the 2nd or 3rd .  I'm saying do it just like we did with Mack .  have the new guy learn behind him like they did with Gore.   

RB is a position IMO that doesn't need to sit behind another. Eased in maybe, but not really mentored (depending on what system he comes from).

Just now, EastStreet said:

RB is a position IMO that doesn't need to sit behind another. Eased in maybe, but not really mentored (depending on what system he comes from).

who would he ease in behind?   Mack is gone after this yr

The Jags are reportly shopping Leonard Fournette and asking for a 2nd but would take a 3rd. He's in the contract year and he wants over 10 million a year, the Jags aren't going near that number, for good reason. Look at the top paid running back. Gurley, Freeman, Bell, David Johnson, LeSean McCoy and Ezekiel Elliott. All of those guys make over 10 million and only Elliott is safe with his team. Paying running backs top dollar is seldom a good idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on Melvin Gordon signing a 2 yr. $16 mil. contract with the Broncos, I'd say Marlon Mack's contract is going to be on par with Austin Ekeler at best, 4 yrs $24-25 mil.

Gurley released, LeVeon Bell paying the price pegging his future to Gurley's contract and not taking what the Steelers gave him, Dion Lewis being paid 4 yrs. $24 mil. from Titans and now released, Zeke is considerably overpaid, IMO. 

CMC and Kamara, their calling card will be their receiving and that would be the only reasons they can get anywhere close to $12-15 mil. at all. Otherwise, RBs that are not 3 down RBs have to settle for $5-6 mil. per year. The market has been re-set this off season.

34 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Based on Melvin Gordon signing a 2 yr. $16 mil. contract with the Broncos, I'd say Marlon Mack's contract is going to be on par with Austin Ekeler at best, 4 yrs $24-25 mil.

Gurley released, LeVeon Bell paying the price pegging his future to Gurley's contract and not taking what the Steelers gave him, Dion Lewis being paid 4 yrs. $24 mil. from Titans and now released, Zeke is considerably overpaid, IMO. 

CMC and Kamara, their calling card will be their receiving and that would be the only reasons they can get anywhere close to $12-15 mil. at all. Otherwise, RBs that are not 3 down RBs have to settle for $5-6 mil. per year. The market has been re-set this off season.

Makes you wonder if the colts want to extend Mack but they were waiting to see what happened in FA. That would line  up with the rumors and irsay saying  they weren’t in talks. They might of just been waiting to see what happened.

42 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yup. Might be a good time to revisit terms with Mack lol.... I've been saying he's not a 10M guy for a while, and that 7/yr is as high as I'd go. Now that were seeing more devalued signs, might be time to revisit. I'm happy for the taste of re-set reality.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. Might be a good time to revisit terms with Mack lol.... I've been saying he's not a 10M guy for a while, and that 7/yr is as high as I'd go. Now that were seeing more devalued signs, might be time to revisit. I'm happy for the taste of re-set reality.

4 years $25 mil. and seal the deal to have those young legs secured here.

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Makes you wonder if the colts want to extend Mack but they were waiting to see what happened in FA. That would line  up with the rumors and irsay saying  they weren’t in talks. They might of just been waiting to see what happened.

I'd bet, IMO, that they floated an early team friendly deal to Mack, and his agent laughed, thinking he should get 10ish. Now, similar to Gordon last year (who turned down a multi year deal for 10M/y), he might have regrets for not taking the offer. I don't want to be cheap with Mack, I just don't see his value to be over 5-7 range.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

4 years $25 mil. and seal the deal to have those young legs secured here.

I'd love that!

32 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'd bet, IMO, that they floated an early team friendly deal to Mack, and his agent laughed, thinking he should get 10ish. Now, similar to Gordon last year (who turned down a multi year deal for 10M/y), he might have regrets for not taking the offer. I don't want to be cheap with Mack, I just don't see his value to be over 5-7 range.

I'd love that!

This makes total sense. I would almost guarantee this happened. He would be stupid to bet on himself going into the season. He could diminish his value even more. If this is true I bet he will get a new deal this off season. 

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This makes total sense. I would almost guarantee this happened. He would be stupid to bet on himself going into the season. He could diminish his value even more. If this is true I bet he will get a new deal this off season. 

IDK, there's always pros and cons. Mack is a good back who has developed nicely running the ball. He's not developed really into a threat in the passing game, but that was absolutely impacted by the QB position.

His AVG was also impacted to the negative because we had a poor passing attack. All that said, he could have a huge year in 2020 both running, and be much improved receiving with Rivers. Then his value would go up. Conversely, he could get injured, or the Colts could continue to not use him in the passing game. Regardless, I think Hines is a weapon the Colts will continue to try and use, but that doesn't mean they can't throw more to Mack too if he's capable/reliable.

Roll the dice.... If we did offer a team friendly deal, and he said no thanks, perhaps he has a change of heart an revisits with the FO. 

Archived