Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bucs yet to make decision on Winston

33 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

He’d have to cut down on those interceptions by a lot. Sure, he can push it downfield but the dudes basically the polar opposite of JB. I guess it would be entertaining to watch since we’d have no idea if that ball in the air was going for a touchdown or an interception. 

That’s my point with us having a running game.  Bucs have no running game and Arians air it out offense does him no good. 

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, I just hope we don’t tie our teams future to either of them. That’d be disappointing.

Same, I don't want either of them as our long-term starter. But if I had to pick one free agent QB to be our long-term starter I would rather it be Winston than Bridgewater. I think it will be easier for Reich to tame him and rein him in than to make Bridgewater more aggressive(he was more dink and dunk than Brissett last year). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, I just hope we don’t tie our teams future to either of them. That’d be disappointing.

That’s why I said no more then two years.  You wouldn’t want to tie yourself to him for five or six years or knowing if it would work out. I think our offense would be good for him. He wouldn’t be throwing nearly as much.

Did he have a INT issue in college? 

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure why?

I’d much rather Teddy than Jameis.  I don’t even think it’s close. 

I look forward to your viewpoint. 

Bridgewater is more accurate version of Jacoby... He was the least aggressive QB in the entire league. He is even more dink and dunk than Jacoby, if you can believe that. I think Jameis makes a ton of NFL type plays and is able to move the ball with the best of them. He's aggressive and has great touch and very good accuracy on his long ball. He has some anticipation too. The high is really high with him. On a good day he can win you games the same way Andrew could win you games. The problem with him is that on a bad day he can lose you game, too. He misreads defenses and tries to force some throws over dropping defenders and into tight coverage. 

Just to be clear - I would rather not sign either of them. I don't want Winston. I don't want Bridgewater. But if I had to choose, I would bet on Reich being able to rein in an overly aggressive QB than being able to turn the aggression on on a passive QB. I think he's the higher upside play and with QBs I would almost always go for the risky higher upside than with the safe but low upside QB. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The upside to picking up either Winston or Bridgewater would be that you could pretty much sit anywhere you like on game day and put your feet up on the empty seats in front of you. It would be nice and quiet in there too, so you could watch another game on your iPhone or read a book. 

• Haha 1

No Thanks.  His interceptions are too much for me to overcome.  Ariens couldn't fix it and I'm sure he tried and he sounds like a coach who has thrown his arms up in the air and said I quit time to move on.  Bridgewater fits our offense better I think.  A much safer and more coachable choice.  Ballard said the team is not about one player and Winston will garner so much more attention.  It will follow him just like it will follow Brady and Cam.  But the good news is it's being reported out there today that the Raiders are prepared to offer Brady 2yrs 60M.  I have a feeling they are going all in on Brady and that's going to make Carr available.  A dream opportunity come true for the Colts. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

No Thanks.  His interceptions are too much for me to overcome.  Ariens couldn't fix it and I'm sure he tried and he sounds like a coach who has thrown his arms up in the air and said I quit time to move on.  Bridgewater fits our offense better I think.  A much safer and more coachable choice.  Ballard said the team is not about one player and Winston will garner so much more attention.  It will follow him just like it will follow Brady and Cam.  But the good news is it's being reported out there today that the Raiders are prepared to offer Brady 2yrs 60M.  I have a feeling they are going all in on Brady and that's going to make Carr available.  A dream opportunity come true for the Colts. 

I have a hard time seeing ballard make a trade for Carr before the draft. If maybe he just doesn’t like the QB. I think he will want to groom his own guy. This could end up being a draft day trade. If they sign Brady that means they will probably draft a QB at 12 if one is there. 

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I have a hard time seeing ballard make a trade for Carr before the draft. If maybe he just doesn’t like the QB. I think he will want to groom his own guy. This could end up being a draft day trade. If they sign Brady that means they will probably draft a QB at 12 if one is there. 

If the Raiders do sign Brady it will come early in FA and they won't have to wait until draft day to trade Carr.  It will be musical chairs for QBs in FA.  His market will probably be less after many of the QBs find a new home thereby removing potential trade partners.  I would have a trade already lined up in case they sign Brady and do the trade asap. 

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If the Raiders do sign Brady it will come early in FA and they won't have to wait until draft day to trade Carr.  It will be musical chairs for QBs in FA.  His market will probably be less after many of the QBs find a new home thereby removing potential trade partners.  I would have a trade already lined up in case they sign Brady and do the trade asap. 

I said I don’t see the colts trading for him before draft day. Ballard would much rather draft his own QB. Carr would probably be the backup option if colts can’t get a QB in the draft. Now saying that if they make this trade before the draft that would clearly indicate they don’t like any of the QB in this class. Carr could help get FA if we were to make the trade before FA. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Do you guys guys think with our running game this could be a option with the colts. Arians system did him no favors.

I would take him on a two year deal but nothing more. He seems to be a good guy. Has a beautiful fiancé and one year old baby. Seems his past is long gone. He would be fun.

NO NO and NO.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I said I don’t see the colts trading for him before draft day. Ballard would much rather draft his own QB. Carr would probably be the backup option if colts can’t get a QB in the draft. Now saying that if they make this trade before the draft that would clearly indicate they don’t like any of the QB in this class. Carr could help get FA if we were to make the trade before FA. 

I actually think he could be the 1st option.  It's a weak class and he could be in the SB hunt with Carr.  That said we will never know unless Gruden gets his QB.   The more you think about it if Ballard wanted to draft a QB this year to develop he could easily develop him for a year behind JB.  No need to bring in a older vet for that role and spend all of that money.  If you want to try and win now then Rivers, Carr, Bridgewater makes more sense.   Gruden is the only GM with a 10 yr contract to get a SB.  Everyone else is on a short leash.  If we sign a veteran QB in FA I think the likelihood of drafting a QB early goes out the window.  

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I don't want JW, but I'd rather have him than JB, TedB, or a Fromm type QB. I'd rather attempt to improve decision making (JW) on a high ceiling guy, than try to augment low ceiling guys by improving every other part of the team.

This.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stitches said:

Bridgewater is more accurate version of Jacoby... He was the least aggressive QB in the entire league. He is even more dink and dunk than Jacoby, if you can believe that. I think Jameis makes a ton of NFL type plays and is able to move the ball with the best of them. He's aggressive and has great touch and very good accuracy on his long ball. He has some anticipation too. The high is really high with him. On a good day he can win you games the same way Andrew could win you games. The problem with him is that on a bad day he can lose you game, too. He misreads defenses and tries to force some throws over dropping defenders and into tight coverage. 

Just to be clear - I would rather not sign either of them. I don't want Winston. I don't want Bridgewater. But if I had to choose, I would bet on Reich being able to rein in an overly aggressive QB than being able to turn the aggression on on a passive QB. I think he's the higher upside play and with QBs I would almost always go for the risky higher upside than with the safe but low upside QB. 

This is a very good, very thoughtful post....  I appreciate it.    Don’t necessarily agree with it, but I can respect it.  

I guess where we differ is at the end...  the safe low floor guy vs the less safe higher ceiling guy.    I’d take the safer guy, especially when both QBs have been around for a long while and have a track record.

The key for you is you’d prefer not to sign either.  Ok.  I can respect that.  Is there another FA QB that you’d like?   Brady?   Rivers?   Someone else?   Or are you all in in spending a draft pick on a college QB?    And if that’s the case,  is it Love for you?   Is that what I read in other posts today?  

Good discussion.   Appreciate it. 

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Do you guys guys think with our running game this could be a option with the colts. Arians system did him no favors.

I would take him on a two year deal but nothing more. He seems to be a good guy. Has a beautiful fiancé and one year old baby. Seems his past is long gone. He would be fun.

Jameis could thrive in Frank's offense. The key word is COULD! I'm not against bringing Jameis in, I'm just super concern over the interceptions. Dude is a turnover machine. You said you'd rather have Jameis over Jacoby, I'd rather have Carr over Jameis and Jacoby. Carr could've easily had 33 touchdowns if not more than Jameis if he had receivers. 

• Like 2

This might be a little crazy but lately I've been thinking we should go for Winston. Give him a shot behind our O-line and get a few receivers in the draft/off-season I think he could be deadly. I would happily take him on board. With his new pair of eyes he should be better as well lol

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The key for you is you’d prefer not to sign either.  Ok.  I can respect that.  Is there another FA QB that you’d like?   Brady?   Rivers?   Someone else?   Or are you all in in spending a draft pick on a college QB?    And if that’s the case,  is it Love for you?   Is that what I read in other posts today?  

Good discussion.   Appreciate it. 

I'm leaving all the emotional/history considerations aside, this is purely based on play and who I think will give us a chance to win - if we want to win now I'd be OK with Brady and Rivers... but that should also come with trading Brissett AND still getting our QB of the future from the draft. (I completely understand if people don't want to see Brady in Colts jersey, because of the history behind it... I have a queasy feeling about it too)

I would consider both Brady and Rivers bridge QB, just like Brissett, but I just think they can give us better play and higher upside while we are developing our young QB. The problem with that scenario is if Brady/Rivers come to you and say - "I want to win right now, so don't you dare wasting high picks on QBs... Give me weapons instead". If they do that I would just roll with JB and draft our QB of the future. 

About the college QBs - I actually like multiple of them and wouldn't mind us drafting any of several of them. I love Burrow the most, then healthy Tua(if a medical staff can guarantee me that?), but I kind of doubt we will be able to get in position for either of them if they are healthy. Then I have Herbert and Love at a similar level, but I have slight preference for Love. Then Eason/Fromm (not sure I'd love it at 13 though). In general I'd be various levels of 'good' with multiple different QBs... whoever Ballard chooses to place his bets on, I will be good with. I think if he loves a QB, it will be wise to get in position to draft the guy, whoever it is. I think we need to get the next guy in the building ASAP so we can start developing him and so he can be ready to play and compete as early as possible. 

• Like 2