Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Shadow_Creek

Pretty Disappointing Indeed

You know i was just thinking about this today. Since Reggie retired we have not put a decent Wr group around Ty in a good long while. Now your probably thinking well alright we already new that but think about it. First off this is not a shot at CB but if Bill were still in office at least we would have had one or two Wrs along with TY to say hey we feel pretty good about the people we got. However that hasn't been the case  Which is why i'm am really hoping that this years free agent pull and draft from CB actually puts a really good unit together because truth be told Ty isn't getting any younger and soon we wont have a threat of his stature  on this team which could be a future disaster if not worked on.

• Haha 1

It IS a problem. I expect it to be addressed in this unusually good WR draft. Not much out there in FA. The WR corps in 20-21 should be 

Pascal Campbell TY plus one additional holdover (maybe Fountain)  and 2 new rookies. 

• Like 1

Need a good QB to make these current receivers good by accurately throwing it to them so they can catch the damn ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Need a good QB to make these current receivers good by accurately throwing it to them so they can catch the damn ball.

You mean you aren't supposed to pick a Target in the huddle.... Hope he gets wide open, then either wait for him to stop while open, or throw it behind him while he's in full stride?

• Haha 4

I wonder how the receiving corps (no pun intended), will be with a healthy Funchess, TY, Campbell, Pascal and draft pick with an accurate QB at the healm?

It’s hard to judge the talent with injuries that occurred and with Brissett throwing.

Maybe it’s not as dire as some believe?

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I wonder how the receiving corps (no pun intended), will be with a healthy Funchess, TY, Campbell, Pascal and draft pick with an accurate QB at the healm?

It’s hard to judge the talent with injuries that occurred and with Brissett throwing.

Maybe it’s not as dire as some believe?

Then add Johnson or Fountain in there. That’s a pretty dang good group. If Funchess doesn’t want to come back go get a bigger WR in the draft. I think we really only need to add one in the draft if he comes back or doesn’t come back. Maybe we take a different type in the draft if he doesn’t come back.

13 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

You know i was just thinking about this today. Since Reggie retired we have not put a decent Wr group around Ty in a good long while. Now your probably thinking well alright we already new that but think about it. First off this is not a shot at CB but if Bill were still in office at least we would have had one or two Wrs along with TY to say hey we feel pretty good about the people we got. However that hasn't been the case  Which is why i'm am really hoping that this years free agent pull and draft from CB actually puts a really good unit together because truth be told Ty isn't getting any younger and soon we wont have a threat of his stature  on this team which could be a future disaster if not worked on.

Get a grip. We had a very good group going into last season.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

CB's focus in the draft has been on fixing the trenches which were in more need of repair than the WR's we had.  Luck made mediocre talent better so it wasn't much of a need.  This year really exposed a lot of needs for the offense - WR's probably being the biggest need (if AC decides to stay).

I don't think CB has ignored the WR posisition.  He did draft Campbell (2nd round) last year, Fountain the year before.

If Polian were still here we would have given Luck his toys, but with a very sub-par OL and DL.  That was just his M.O. in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Agree.  I thought it was a pretty good group as well.  Injuries have a way of destroying that, lol.

On 2/15/2020 at 8:52 AM, throwing BBZ said:

Yea, no way to predict injuries... with a healthy Funchess, Campbell, and Fountain to compliment TY, that group hypothetically should be pretty solid.

I thought Campbell really showed strides in improving his game throughout the season, though it was unfortunate that every time he showed glimpses of what he may become, he would get re-injured.  And Funchess from pre-season and the little bit we saw of him in game 1 looked to have pretty solid chemistry with Brissett.

From a recent interview, it sounds like Ballard wants Funchess back.  If we can't sign him before the draft, I expect we'll get a big-bodied guy there.  I tend to think we're going to draft one either way.

Jacoby's play definitely declined after week 6 last year (he had 14 of his 18 TDs in the first 6 games).  Obviously, he was a step back from Luck.  However, I still can't pinpoint his decline over the season.  Was it a) he had a lack of targets due to all our injuries? b) Jacoby's knee injury taking some zip off his throws? c) teams figuring out how to game plan against him, or d) Jacoby just not being all that good of a QB? 

My guess is, all 4 factored into that... I certainly think he would've been a little better without the injuries and with a better WR corps, but can't say how much.  That said, I don't think the lack of talent at WR last year was due to CB not trying to build that position group anywhere near as much as it was due to unexpected injuries.