Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

According to PFF, colts were the least......

CR91

56 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Based on this list, looks like this stat didn't really translate into wins that much, did it?

Based on the top 5 penalized team in the league there is correlation as to the amount of losses. 

The top teams that were penalized are Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Oakland, Cleveland  and Arizona. 

The win-loss record was because of the lack of offense, not the correlation of lack of penalties. Had we had a more potent offense then the penalties would have related to wins. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Based on this list, looks like this stat didn't really translate into wins that much, did it?

Least penalized teams are usually well coached and disciplined teams. 

Maybe it did translate in wins. As in... if we weren't this disciplined and well coached we could have won 5 instead of 7, for example. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stitches said:

Least penalized teams are usually well coached and disciplined teams. 

Maybe it did translate in wins. As in... if we weren't this disciplined and well coached we could have won 5 instead of 7, for example. 

On paper that's correct, but we saw AV shank kicks that directly affected outcomes. We saw an offense that had to exhaust it's bag of tricks weekly to find 17-ish points. 

The penalties being low were a product of a disciplined O-Line, if I had to wager a guess without looking. 

47 minutes ago, The Fish said:

The penalties being low were a product of a disciplined O-Line, if I had to wager a guess without looking. 

And a rookie corner who (with the exception of one game) played extremely well from a penalty perspective. Can't wait to see what Rock brings in year 2.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

On paper that's correct, but we saw AV shank kicks that directly affected outcomes. We saw an offense that had to exhaust it's bag of tricks weekly to find 17-ish points. 

To be fair I am not sure you can fully blame the GM/Coaching staff for being reluctant to give up on AV.  He was recognized as the greatest kicker of all time.  

With the offense thing I think that's simply a product of basically have to start a backup quality quarterback the entire season.  

How many teams could you legit take their best QB away from them the entire season and have them win 7 games.  Furthermore how many would be in as many games as the Colts where in (Remember AV misses cost us at least 2 games)

There are a few. 

The Saints could almost certainly win 7+ games with Bridgewater.  

Maybe the Pats because they always seem to be competitive.  

But outside of those teams, who can lose their best QB the entire season and win 7 or more games.  Not that darn many teams.  

Reich did very well given the situation.  

On 2/13/2020 at 10:39 AM, Valpo2004 said:

To be fair I am not sure you can fully blame the GM/Coaching staff for being reluctant to give up on AV.  He was recognized as the greatest kicker of all time.  

With the offense thing I think that's simply a product of basically have to start a backup quality quarterback the entire season.  

How many teams could you legit take their best QB away from them the entire season and have them win 7 games.  Furthermore how many would be in as many games as the Colts where in (Remember AV misses cost us at least 2 games)

There are a few. 

The Saints could almost certainly win 7+ games with Bridgewater.  

Maybe the Pats because they always seem to be competitive.  

But outside of those teams, who can lose their best QB the entire season and win 7 or more games.  Not that darn many teams.  

Reich did very well given the situation.  

They brought in kickers for tryouts several times and Vinny outperformed them... let's not forget that there is a reason why K's without a job are K's without a job (at least an NFL job).  So, yea it was unfortunate that we lost a few extra games from poor kicking.. but no, I don't think that all falls on Ballard and Reich for not replacing AV.  It's not like they didn't look for replacements, they just couldn't bring a guy off the streets who was better.

• Like 1

This team is very well coached. To be the least penalized team and have had played the rookies the way we did is nothing short of astounding. We had 3 rookie DBs who played a bunch.

This team is really just a franchise QB and 2 players away from being able to make a deep playoff run.

• Like 1