Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Mock Draft - After Recent Signings Edition

Recently, some mock drafts have some 1st/ 2nd round talent falling after teams filled their 1st round needs through Free Agency (Cowboys - Brandon Carr, Seahawks - Matt Flynn, Bills - Mario Williams).

The Colts have begun to shape their new 3-4 scheme with the addition of Cory Redding and Tom Zbikowski formerly of the Ravens, who are familiar with Pagano's defense. Mathis and Freeney will stand up to play OLB's and I like Pat Angerer in the middle for the foreseeable future. I believe we haven't seen the end of FA signings to shore up the defense with the likes of a veteran NT like Antonio Garay or Brandon McKinney. Both have ties to Manusky and Pagano respectively. Don't be surprised to see the Colts do an about-face on defense with the addition of a couple new players and some new coaching. I like the addition of Winston Justice and Mike McGlynn on the O-line, but neither were starting linemen from my understanding.

Offense is going to be the biggest concern for me here. Luck's success will be predicated on the talent he is surrounded with early on. Best Player Available will take precedence in this years draft since there are so many needs.

For this mock, I'll use the consensus results of a 7 round mock from Drafttek.com, updated this morning. Let me know what you think.

Round 1 : Andrew Luck QB - Stanford

No surprises here.

Round 2 : Stephon Gilmore CB - South Carolina

This guy was very impressive at the combine and one heckuva highlight reel. This is the BPA I was talking about. He is a first round talent for sure, but free agency could drop him to #34. What a steal.

Round 3 : Mohamed Sanu WR - Rutgers

This particular mock I'm going off of has Alshon Jeffery lasting until the Vikings 3rd round. I don't think that's realistic, so I'm sticking with Sanu here. It's feasible and a great option at WR who could eventually replace Reggie Wayne at WR1.

Round 4 : Mike Brewster OC - Ohio State

I don't know if Saturday is coming back, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to secure his replacement in a caliber player like Brewster. Luck could really benefit from developing along side a familiar center early on, just like Peyton and Saturday.

Round 5 : Ladarius Green TE - Louisiana Lafayette

Even if Jacob Tamme is retained, it would not be a bad idea to have another quality TE. Green is the consolation prize to Fleener.

Round 6 : Brian Quick WR - Appalachian State

I was hoping this pick might be Tauren Poole, but after switching picks with the Eagles, he might not last this long. Add another quality receiver to add depth.

Round 7 : Ryan Miller OG - Colorado

Miller impressed a lot of scouts with his combine performance. If there is one thing the Colts need for Andrew Luck to succeed, it's depth on the line. Miller will compete for a starting position right away.

Agree on Sanu...he will be gone by the end of the 2nd round. Now I can see going Sanu in round 2 and another CB in round 3 like Chase Minnifield who's draft stock has been dropping due to his knee recovery (minor surgery) and his 5' 10" height. Then we could go NT with Nick Jean-Baptiste in round 4.

This would be a great draft. I think the Colts should trade next years first round pick for a late first round, early second, to get Coby Fleener. He should be the difference maker Dallas was for Manning.

Well we already have an early 2nd round pick. But I wouldn't be able to justify giving up that much for a TE given the amount of rebuilding we are going to have to do in the next couple of years. Fleener is great, but Ladarius Green offers the same skill set in a much later round. He doesn't run routes as well as Fleener, but that's what coaches are for.

This would be a great draft. I think the Colts should trade next years first round pick for a late first round, early second, to get Coby Fleener. He should be the difference maker Dallas was for Manning.

Seeing as how next year's # 1 would be a likely top 10 pick. No Way. Our second and a fourth would be enough to jump up to about #27 or #28 if we want to snag Fleener before the 49ers and Giants.

Seeing as how next year's # 1 would be a likely top 10 pick. No Way. Our second and a fourth would be enough to jump up to about #27 or #28 if we want to snag Fleener before the 49ers and Giants.

Whatever it takes to pick up another first round or second round pick this year to get him and a starting caliber corner or dt. Lol

Next years 1st has a very good chance to be the pick that lands Barkley, Bray, or Jones, all QB's. Landry and Tyler will have RGIII trade value, while Matt exceeds it. Plus, Matt's favorite target, Robert Woods (wr), will be available if we miss out on an epic trade.

Fleener is not the end all, be all. Maybe he is worth a future late 1st, but not a likely top 5 pick, no way.

Next years 1st has a very good chance to be the pick that lands Barkley, Bray, or Jones, all QB's. Landry and Tyler will have RGIII trade value, while Matt exceeds it. Plus, Matt's favorite target, Robert Woods (wr), will be available if we miss out on an epic trade.

Fleener is not the end all, be all. Maybe he is worth a future late 1st, but not a likely top 5 pick, no way.

Yep, even if we suck out loud this year we can set ourselves up very nicely if we can get a deal like the Rams got this year. Heck maybe the Raiders will need a QB and give up more than Washington did.I love Woods though, he could be a Marvin type weapon for Luck.

We have to get a NT in the draft as stands. We literally dont have a guy on the roster who really fits there.

Agreed. That is a need. I wrote in the original post that I think the Colts will go grab a veteran NT soon enough considering how important that role will be next year. I don't know that they would want to throw a rookie in there next year...that's just one of the reasons NT is not in the mock. usually went BPA that coincides with the teams needs.

Agreed. That is a need. I wrote in the original post that I think the Colts will go grab a veteran NT soon enough considering how important that role will be next year. I don't know that they would want to throw a rookie in there next year...that's just one of the reasons NT is not in the mock. usually went BPA that coincides with the teams needs.

Ahh. Missed that part. My bad.

I agree though this draft will BPA through and through. So many glaring holes to fill.