Indianapolis Colts
Chloe6124

Chargers GM says he likes his internal options at QB

Is it a smokescreen? We will see in a couple of months. They have the 6th pick so not sure if they really need a smokescreen.

I just take it a face value. Which is that he isn't saying he wants Taylor or the othe 3rd stringer to start next season, but that he likes them moving forward. I don't think it's going to prevent them from getting another QB. As far is it being smokescreen? Maybe, but I'm not sure to what end. Hoping teams won't try and trade past them if they choose to stay put? For now I think he's using it more as an explanation for why the Chargers can move on from rivers. More mobility, and he thinks they can win games.

I could see it being a smokescreen if they want TUA. They wouldn’t want Miami to think they are going to move up and take him. 

It's possible they go for Lawrence/Fields next year, aka "tank"... But this is in the realm of Ballard's "jury's still out on Brissett". Smoke screens and non-committal nonsense. Will believe it when I see it.

• Like 1

They have said their gonna go after Brady. Sounds like a two horse race with the raiders.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

It's possible they go for Lawrence/Fields next year, aka "tank"... But this is in the realm of Ballard's "jury's still out on Brissett". Smoke screens and non-committal nonsense. Will believe it when I see it.

I would love if part of that tanking is letting Hunter Henry leave via FA.

8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I would love if part of that tanking is letting Hunter Henry leave via FA.

From what I read, letting Rivers go was partly done with view of being able to keep Hunter Henry. They seem to like him a lot. 

This is the time of year that you can basically ignore anything that you hear a GM say publicly. I'm sure to some degree they do like Tyrod Taylor, but I seriously doubt he starts the full season for them. It will probably be like it was in Cleveland with Baker Mayfield. The Chargers will draft a QB and then after a few games of Tyrod they will bring the rookie in. I know there is a lot of speculation about Brady to the Chargers but until he actually signs with another team it is hard for me to see him playing for anyone but the Pats.

• Like 2

Smokescreen for sure. Ballard said the same thing about Jacoby too. He’s trying to save face because one thing the Chargers have been criticized for in the past is never really having a successor to Rivers in place, knowing he was declining. They’ll do something at QB. If they don’t draft Herbert at 6, then a FA is coming for sure.

I forgot who it was but an ex-Chargers players talked about their handling of Eric Weddle and Phillip Rivers had been really bad.

If they were serious about tanking, or going into a full rebuild, they'd move Keenan Allen. He's going on 28, at the tail end of the age apex for WR's, he doesn't have 2 years for them to get things together. When WR's fall off it's generally really quick, there's very few Larry Fitzgerald's. If I had to guess, I'd say they bring in Brady and go for a ring or two. They already have a stout defense, and the 6th overall pick is a bonafide stud on either side of the ball. They aren't far off. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

They have said their gonna go after Brady. Sounds like a two horse race with the raiders.

Who is "they"? Give me a link where either Telesco or Spanos have said that. All I have heard is media or talking head or fan speculations.

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Who is "they"? Give me a link where either Telesco or Spanos have said that. All I have heard is media or talking head or fan speculations.

Teams can't come out and say who their interested in. Right now it's just rumor, but as far as we know, those are the two teams he's been linked to the most.

7 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

They did draft Easton Stick last year, maybe they think he's ready to be the starter.

That would be on the "tank for Lawrence" side of things IMO. 

There are some rumors about Stafford to Chargers, no idea how true, though... his wife had some weird posts on social media saying if they trade him, she wants to live in California... or something of that sort. 

Taylor would allow the chargers to sit a rookie for a year.  Or maybe they draft OT and this year. It’s going to be a interesting FA period and draft. There will probably be a lot of unexpected things happen in the 1st rounds of the draft.

My thoughts are if we start hearing the colts like this QB or that QB that means we probably won’t take one. If things stay quiet up until draft day with no rumblings about a QB that means we will take one.

Mark my words though. If for some reason the Chargers pass on Herbert, expect him to be in a Colts hat by the end of the night.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

That would be on the "tank for Lawrence" side of things IMO. 

There are some rumors about Stafford to Chargers, no idea how true, though... his wife had some weird posts on social media saying if they trade him, she wants to live in California... or something of that sort. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the rumor was planted by the Stafford team to plant a seed and initiate some conversation with the Chargers.  I don't think his wife jumping in was coincidental.  

They’re in the same position as us. They’ve got a decent bridge QB in Tyrod. They can, and I think will, draft a QB to sit for a year.