Indianapolis Colts

ESPN just recently put up an "article" of sorts predicting what would happen if certain players went to certain places. Of course, the Colts are listed on here multiple times, but the most interesting one for me for Indy was found under the idea of Tom Brady going to the Chargers. After Brady goes to LA, Rivers ends up signing with Jacksonville in this scenario. This is where it gets fun, and I have below the quotes from both parts of the Colts mentions in this section:

THE JAGS TRADE NICK FOLES TO THE COLTS IN A SALARY DUMP

To get out of the $20.6 million guaranteed owed to Foles over the next two years, the Jaguars ship their deposed starter to Indy. To get the Colts to eat the money, though, Jacksonville has to send the 20th overall selection it received from the Rams in the Jalen Ramsey trade -- similar to the Brock Osweiler deal in 2017 -- although Indy ships the 110th pick back to the Jags.

This is followed by this prediction:

THE COLTS PACKAGE THEIR FIRST-ROUND PICKS TO TRADE UP FOR TUA TAGOVAILOA

With plenty of cap room and draft assets left, general manager Chris Ballard decides to add Indy's quarterback of the future, too. The Colts package the 13th, 20th and 44th selections and send them to the Lions for the third overall pick and a fifth-rounder to draft the Alabama star, who will spend most of 2020 recovering from his hip injury behind Nick Foles and Jacoby Brissett.

Here is the link to the article so you can look through everything yourselves:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/28600904/predicting-2020-nfl-offseason-dominoes-eight-star-players-set-144-move-chaos

What do you all think? Would you do this in this scenario? Personally, I would do the first deal to get Foles, but then keep pick 20 and use 13 on Kinlaw and 20 on Love. There are lots of other Colts mentions here as well, and I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

What do you all think? Would you do this in this scenario? Personally, I would do the first deal to get Foles, but then keep pick 20 and use 13 on Kinlaw and 20 on Love. There are lots of other Colts mentions here as well, and I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts!

i would be on board with this.  Foles would be the starter and they would have some time to develop Love to see if they can turn him into a good player

not sure Love will last until 20 though, they might have to trade back up if they really want him too. 

i like tua but i dont think " 13th, 20th and 44th" would be enough to get it done like the writer does.  would probably take a future first imo and i would not want to do that after the foles trade

Yes I would do that deal if Tua was their target.  Maybe we don't have to move to three to get another QB we might like.  Same strategy though.  I have always liked that move.  Hard to see the Jags sending him to us though.

I would be good with this. I kind of doubt it happens within the division though... 

I'd make Jax send their 9th instead of their 20th... 

They are negative in cap space, and need the relief in the worst way. 

they usually find a way to just barely make their cap space work, i think they will do it again without involving a division rival 

I just don’t know if Ballard would want two QBs with that type of money on the roster. That’s like $40 mil between two QBs. 

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

I just don’t know if Ballard would want two QBs with that type of money on the roster. That’s like $40 mil between two QBs. 

I agree. I think if this happened though that I would look to release or straight trade Brissett

• Like 1

To gimmicky... Ballards going BPA at a position of need. If it were to go down, then Best DT,DE/OT or WR at those three picks 13,20, 34

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Love it until the trade up for Tua.

Agree. Keep 13th, 20th, 34th, 44th, and let someone else draft Tua.

• Like 1

I’d take the trade of: 

we take Foles and eat his cap space. In return, we get the Jags #9 pick and give them our3rd round pick plus eat that cap hit. I let CK and NF battle it out in camp and see who has the spot. Either Foles outright wins in Franks system, which Foles should have the clear advantage, or CK shows he really belongs. We cut or trade both JB and Hoyer and see who is available at #9&13 in the first. We get two blue chips and still have essentially a low first rd pick with 34. That should bet some really nice talent to build around. We could get a DT, OT and WR from this draft that starts first game. 

don’t get me wrong here, I don’t trust NF to be a star player in the team, rather I’m banking on CK taking that spot. Foles can stay this year and mentor Kelly while also being a capable back up off the bench, where he excelled at in Reichs system in Philly. I also don’t see the Jags doing anything close to this type of move either so it’s all just draft chatter and playing with different scenarios. Offseason is long. 

Like @Fisticuffs111 said, I would take this deal in a hot second, but I wouldn't trade up for Tua. If our QB of the future is there at 13, take him. Otherwise, use all those picks to lead up with studs at other positions of need like DT, TE, etc.

I am very intrigued by this... I don't love the trade up for Tua part but I would be very excited about getting Foles and a pick.

5 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

I agree. I think if this happened though that I would look to release or straight trade Brissett

He has a $7 mil roster bonus that’s fully guaranteed, so if you release Jacoby you’d have some dead money. I’m also not sure if he has any trade value. Maybe if Brady signs with another team BB might want him lol.

I'd have to look more in-depth at the Foles contract, but I like the idea of Foles being our starter next year and help teach a rookie like Love.

Edit: Just looked at Foles contract and after 2020, there's an out for 2021 which his cap hit drops to 12.5 mil instead of about 33 mil for this coming year. I think we would be able to handle that

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/nick-foles-9898/

• Like 1

Not really a Foles fan. But the Colts have $ to burn. So I'd make the deal

with JACK.

Wouldn't give all that up for Tua though. Health considerations aside, I

think he's a bit overrated (a Samoan Mark Brunell: hat tip to Lance 

Zurlein on the comp).

Is it just me or does it seem kind of too far out there that a team would give up a QB and a 1st round pick to save 20mil? Which was only really made viable in this scenario when they presumably needed to make even more cap room for Rivers. All that just to have Rivers over Foles?

• Thanks 2

The Jags would save under 4 million in 2020 by trading him, no way do they even THINK about giving a 1st. They might for a 4th.

The Jets might try to dump Bell too, his hugh contract and 3.3 ypa might make that a much higher pick..

3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I'd have to look more in-depth at the Foles contract, but I like the idea of Foles being our starter next year and help teach a rookie like Love.

Edit: Just looked at Foles contract and after 2020, there's an out for 2021 which his cap hit drops to 12.5 mil instead of about 33 mil for this coming year. I think we would be able to handle that

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/nick-foles-9898/

The Colts would "only" be on the hook for base salary for this upcoming season ($15.125M) + a $5M roster bonus (due on 3/20)...if he is traded before 3/20. So $20.125M total. After that...there are no guarantees and no dead cap it...so they cut him at any point...or they can keep him for his base salaries (if they want to).

I don't hate the idea of Foles either...I think he's an upgrade to JB...and he knows the system. If they could trade JB...they would save ~$16M...and Foles would only cost $4M more in cap space than what is currently on the books. Then they could just keep him for base salary next year...which isn't unreasonable.

These scenarios where JAC gives up a 1st round pick are out there. HOU traded a future 2nd round pick...which was likely to be a mid-late 2nd round pick...and HOU got back a 4th round comp pick for the upcoming draft. So it was really a pick swap... And that trade was for Osweiler...who wasn't even rosterable. $16M in 2017 (Osweiler's gtd base salary) is pretty similar to $20M in 2019...especially when you factor in the rise in QB contracts. 

Foles is not Osweiler...so JAC isn't going to have to give up an even more valuable draft pick that is not a future pick. I actually think they might not have to give up anything...but I could see a pick swap...which is something I would be very interested in...like swapping 9 for 13...which would be a huge position shift for the Colts.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ColtJax said:

The Jags would save under 4 million in 2020 by trading him, no way do they even THINK about giving a 1st. They might for a 4th.

The Jets might try to dump Bell too, his hugh contract and 3.3 ypa might make that a much higher pick..

Correct...they still have to eat the signing bonus...which is why these trade offers a bit silly.

Trading Foles does save them a lot when you compare it to cutting him...but that's not even an option for them right now...given that the dead cap hit is significantly more than his actual cap hit in that scenario. 

Really...the benefit to trading Foles would be to save a little cap space now...as well as the $12.5M dead cap hit next season. That might be worth it to trade something...but not a 1st round pick when they need cheap talent to balance out the roster.

I think...if I was Ballard...I would be all over trying to swap #9 and #13...which is the draft value of a mid 3rd round pick...but allows them to keep all of their picks now and in the future.

4 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

Is it just me or does it seem kind of too far out there that a team would give up a QB and a 1st round pick to save 20mil? Which was only really made viable in this scenario when they presumably needed to make even more cap room for Rivers. All that just to have Rivers over Foles?

No...it's an absurd scenario. 

On 2/12/2020 at 12:16 AM, shastamasta said:

Correct...they still have to eat the signing bonus...which is why these trade offers a bit silly.

Trading Foles does save them a lot when you compare it to cutting him...but that's not even an option for them right now...given that the dead cap hit is significantly more than his actual cap hit in that scenario. 

Really...the benefit to trading Foles would be to save a little cap space now...as well as the $12.5M dead cap hit next season. That might be worth it to trade something...but not a 1st round pick when they need cheap talent to balance out the roster.

I think...if I was Ballard...I would be all over trying to swap #9 and #13...which is the draft value of a mid 3rd round pick...but allows them to keep all of their picks now and in the future.

I just don't see how the Jags, or ANY team would make a trade to a team in the division. Could you imagine if Foles comes here and lights it up while Minshew falls apart. The Jag fans would riot..