Indianapolis Colts
JediXMan

Ian Rapoport: Colts are 'most logical' fit for Philip Rivers (merge)

38 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Football is a team sport and unless you are a PM type a qb can only not do as well as the other 52 players on the roster

He is the one that lost games for them last season. He was just throwing balls up at bad times.  

Reich was fired as his OC in SD. 

I think the O-line of the Chargers was mediocre that's why he was rush a lot and had to hurry. With that being said, I would like Rivers here in a Colts uniform, sign him for two years after you draft our long term QB.  Trade Brissett, so the rookie QB can learn from Rivers....

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

He is the one that lost games for them last season. He was just throwing balls up at bad times.  

Reich was fired as his OC in SD. 

Move On Monica GIF by Silicon Valley

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

According to some in here, JB was a below average QB during our 5-2 stretch and was never accurate lmao . Which to me was comical, you can't have beIow average QB play and be 5-2 because the QB touches the ball on every play and runs the offense period. I get what you are saying, I liked what I was seeing when we were 5-2. I personally have been on the Carr bandwagon for a while as he is only 28 and in his prime. He is a poor mans Andrew Luck IMO. He is good but not in the very good or great category. We would have to trade for him though.

Statistically  Brissett  was bad even during  5-2 stretch.  His td numbers  were inflated  by redzone passes. His yardage  and yards per throw  were terrible. He needs to stretch the field  more 

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Throwing them into the fire has ruined many QBs... Some rooks need time. 

What about Mariota do you like? Mariota is a system QB, and really isn't a good fit for Reich's O IMO. He also struggles in many of the same areas that JB does (progressions, reads, pre-snap), and has happy feet. 

I don't really like him per say, I just think out of all the potential FA QB's that we know of I like him better. Age, potential, etc. I think Mariota, if polished a bit, could actually be okay in the right scheme. I actually think the bears make sense for him. He can run, he has a decent arm. I just don't think Tennessee was a good fit. I mean he might be just a bust, but on a 1 year prove it deal, I think he would have higher upside and cost less than an aging Rivers as example. To me, I don't think it's the year for a QB to be drafted by anyone unless it's Burrow only because Burrow seems more ready to play then the rest, with Herbert being second. I feel the Colts should concentrate on DT and WR this year and if QB is an issue again next year and our record is poor then potentially be in position for Lawrence possibly. Again, I just feel DT and WR are more important, not overall, but in the immediate. 

22 hours ago, JediXMan said:

This is interesting Rivers is better than Jacoby but hopefully we still draft a QB early.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-network-insider-ian-rapoport-185413103.html

Don't put me down as a 'no', put me down as a 'please no.'  Arm is shot, zero mobility (possibly negative speed) and couldn't win big in his prime loaded with talent.  I'd rather play the cards we have at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

Don't put me down as a 'no', put me down as a 'please no.'  Arm is shot, zero mobility (possibly negative speed) and couldn't win big in his prime loaded with talent.  I'd rather play the cards we have at the moment.

A "shot" arm throwing for 4600+ yards on 66% completion  behind the 5th worst pass blocking O-line is much better than Brissett throwing for 2900+ yards on 60% completion behind the 2nd best pass blocking O-line.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

What did rivers win last year. Everyone is so sure he will give us more wins. I dm not. 

I think he does. The other option is Brissett and we’ve already gone down that road.

The Colts have a much better running game and offensive line to protect him. Colts also have a coaching staff that will undoubtedly adapt to where he’s at in his career.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Not sure i'd pin that on Kaepernick. He's been out of the league so long that I'm possibly remembering the wrong Kaep. At any rate, I don't see any free agent QBs on the market now who'd be that much better than Brissett.

On Kaep, not pinning anything on him. Those were his records. Clear regression.

On FA QBs... If you added JB to the list of FA QBs names, JB would be one of the least in demand, so I don't see any FA QBs who be worse than JB.

By the way, the only FA that I'd really be happy with as a mid/long term add, is Carr. Even then, I'd prefer to draft a rook, and bring in an elder mentor that's been successful to teach him for a short term 2 year contract.

• Like 1

I like it.  It says you're not going to throw away 2020.  

There's no reason why Rivers can't hand the ball off for 4 quarters like Brissett did.  He might also, however, be able to push it down the field occasionally and make a play or two in the 4th quarter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a bad year to need a quarterback.  Smh

Rivers is washed. He is a little better than a Brissett but not enough of an improvement to be worth what it will cost to sign him.  At end of the day Colts still struggling to make playoffs next season even with Rivers. 

5 hours ago, Indeee said:

I don't really like him per say, I just think out of all the potential FA QB's that we know of I like him better. Age, potential, etc. I think Mariota, if polished a bit, could actually be okay in the right scheme. I actually think the bears make sense for him.

I agree the Bears would probably be about the best fit. LAC would fit to an extent as it has a strong Poly culture and the fan base might be able to get behind him. 

He can run, he has a decent arm. I just don't think Tennessee was a good fit. I mean he might be just a bust, but on a 1 year prove it deal, I think he would have higher upside and cost less than an aging Rivers as example.

Nobody really sees Rivers as a long term fit. He'd just be a bridge/mentor for a few years.

To me, I don't think it's the year for a QB to be drafted by anyone unless it's Burrow only because Burrow seems more ready to play then the rest, with Herbert being second. I feel the Colts should concentrate on DT and WR this year and if QB is an issue again next year and our record is poor then potentially be in position for Lawrence possibly. Again, I just feel DT and WR are more important, not overall, but in the immediate. 

JB isn't bad enough, and most QBs would not be bad enough, to put us into a position to get Lawrence or Fields. The surrounding cast is too good to really tank that bad.

• Like 2

Not a fan. Watched many Chargers games due to fantasy interest, and there were many times the dude was limp noodling the ball to defenders. At least Jacoby is only good for like 2 of those in a season. 

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

By the way, the only FA that I'd really be happy with as a mid/long term add, is Carr. Even then, I'd prefer to draft a rook, and bring in an elder mentor that's been successful to teach him for a short term 2 year contract.

Carr is not a FA. If we got Carr it would be via trade. He has 2 yrs left on his contract with the Raiders. However, I agree that he is the only QB that may be had this off season in which I would be happy with. I would be thrilled with Carr if we could get him for a 2nd round pick and dump/trade Brissett/Hoyer. That would set us up to draft BPA and draft a 2nd-5th round QB (Gordan, Fromm, Hurts, McDonald, etc.) to learn from Carr while still having Kelly competing as well. 

35 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

Carr is not a FA. If we got Carr it would be via trade. He has 2 yrs left on his contract with the Raiders. However, I agree that he is the only QB that may be had this off season in which I would be happy with. I would be thrilled with Carr if we could get him for a 2nd round pick and dump/trade Brissett/Hoyer. That would set us up to draft BPA and draft a 2nd-5th round QB (Gordan, Fromm, Hurts, McDonald, etc.) to learn from Carr while still having Kelly competing as well. 

I'm aware. I should have referred to him differently.

I think it would take a 1st though. I also wouldn't look to draft a QB this early in what would be his first of 3 years. I would still part ways with JB and Hoyer though, and keep Kelly to learn and continue to prove himself. If that didn't workout, I'd draft a QB next year or the last year of Carr's contract.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Restored said:

I think he does. The other option is Brissett and we’ve already gone down that road.

The Colts have a much better running game and offensive line to protect him. Colts also have a coaching staff that will undoubtedly adapt to where he’s at in his career.

Who won more games last year? That would be Brissett.

How about they put Rivers' head on Brissett's body?

8 minutes ago, egg said:

How about they put Rivers' head on Brissett's body?

It's been done before!

image.thumb.png.c886f397fc61e2cd9de5b20bda19a0cf.png

• Like 1

Rivers moved his family to Florida.  I think he knows who he is playing for next year and it's not Indy. 

On 2/10/2020 at 8:54 PM, Colt.45 said:

Maybe Kaepernick?

Now I know you're not thinking clearly. Kaepernick was a mediocre quarterback who has been out of the league for a couple years, not to mention all the other baggage he brings with him.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:58 PM, bestQBever said:

I don't want him. I want a mobile QB. Not someone like Jackson, but someone near Mahomes level of mobility.

The magic of Mahomes is not that he's mobile, but that he can accurately throw on the run. He will have an outstanding, but short career.

Yeah no thanks. Rivers is better than Brissett sure, but he wont be good enough to win a SB in the next 2-3 years with our current roster. I'd rather let Brissett play next year while getting a QB early in the draft then be tied up in the cap and taking away time from young players to develop.

If you think Rivers is the only step needed to win the SB soon, then I get your enthusiasm. I just highly doubt that would happen.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/11/2020 at 7:00 PM, Indeee said:

I don't really like him per say, I just think out of all the potential FA QB's that we know of I like him better. Age, potential, etc. I think Mariota, if polished a bit, could actually be okay in the right scheme. I actually think the bears make sense for him. He can run, he has a decent arm. I just don't think Tennessee was a good fit. I mean he might be just a bust, but on a 1 year prove it deal, I think he would have higher upside and cost less than an aging Rivers as example. To me, I don't think it's the year for a QB to be drafted by anyone unless it's Burrow only because Burrow seems more ready to play then the rest, with Herbert being second. I feel the Colts should concentrate on DT and WR this year and if QB is an issue again next year and our record is poor then potentially be in position for Lawrence possibly. Again, I just feel DT and WR are more important, not overall, but in the immediate. 

"per se"

• Haha 1

On 2/10/2020 at 9:13 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I honestly think JB can win 9 or 10 games with the right team around him but he just isn't a franchise QB IMO. What ever Ballard decides I am ok with it, I trust him.

winning 9 or 10 games is not going to win the division or get you past the wild card round. If mediocre is ok, then why not suck next year and get a better batch of QB's to choose from in 2021.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

winning 9 or 10 games is not going to win the division or get you past the wild card round. If mediocre is ok, then why not suck next year and get a better batch of QB's to choose from in 2021.

We sucked for Luck before...so, I guess we Tank for Trevor this season?

• Haha 1

On 2/11/2020 at 3:23 PM, Boss7894 said:

It’s sad that TY is going to have to suffer another rebuilding year with no chance for a Super Bowl.

After thinking about this, I think we need to get Terry Bridgewater or Andy Dalton.. they make me more excited and I think they will be able to help us win a SB.  What do you guys think about that?