Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ian Rapoport: Colts are 'most logical' fit for Philip Rivers (merge)

JediXMan

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

According to some in here, JB was a below average QB during our 5-2 stretch and was never accurate lmao . Which to me was comical, you can't have beIow average QB play and be 5-2 because the QB touches the ball on every play and runs the offense period. I get what you are saying, I liked what I was seeing when we were 5-2. I personally have been on the Carr bandwagon for a while as he is only 28 and in his prime. He is a poor mans Andrew Luck IMO. He is good but not in the very good or great category. We would have to trade for him though.

Statistically  Brissett  was bad even during  5-2 stretch.  His td numbers  were inflated  by redzone passes. His yardage  and yards per throw  were terrible. He needs to stretch the field  more 

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Throwing them into the fire has ruined many QBs... Some rooks need time. 

What about Mariota do you like? Mariota is a system QB, and really isn't a good fit for Reich's O IMO. He also struggles in many of the same areas that JB does (progressions, reads, pre-snap), and has happy feet. 

I don't really like him per say, I just think out of all the potential FA QB's that we know of I like him better. Age, potential, etc. I think Mariota, if polished a bit, could actually be okay in the right scheme. I actually think the bears make sense for him. He can run, he has a decent arm. I just don't think Tennessee was a good fit. I mean he might be just a bust, but on a 1 year prove it deal, I think he would have higher upside and cost less than an aging Rivers as example. To me, I don't think it's the year for a QB to be drafted by anyone unless it's Burrow only because Burrow seems more ready to play then the rest, with Herbert being second. I feel the Colts should concentrate on DT and WR this year and if QB is an issue again next year and our record is poor then potentially be in position for Lawrence possibly. Again, I just feel DT and WR are more important, not overall, but in the immediate. 

22 hours ago, JediXMan said:

This is interesting Rivers is better than Jacoby but hopefully we still draft a QB early.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-network-insider-ian-rapoport-185413103.html

Don't put me down as a 'no', put me down as a 'please no.'  Arm is shot, zero mobility (possibly negative speed) and couldn't win big in his prime loaded with talent.  I'd rather play the cards we have at the moment.

38 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

Don't put me down as a 'no', put me down as a 'please no.'  Arm is shot, zero mobility (possibly negative speed) and couldn't win big in his prime loaded with talent.  I'd rather play the cards we have at the moment.

A "shot" arm throwing for 4600+ yards on 66% completion  behind the 5th worst pass blocking O-line is much better than Brissett throwing for 2900+ yards on 60% completion behind the 2nd best pass blocking O-line.

Yesterday was a really sad day for me (as you can see by my picture).  I wanted to read what many of my Colt's friends were thinking and it's pretty much as I expected, mixed, leaning towards no.  

However, as a very realistic observer and long time fan, I think Philip has another 2 years in him.  Last year was another anomaly year in his career rather than a falling off the cliff.  The last season that he had so many interceptions we had so many O Line injuries that we had 20+ different configurations over the season, AND Rivers was playing very hurt with a tough rib injury.  Antonio Gates let that information out of the bag.  This season the line issues were the same with a very high turnover and we didn't get a set lineup until quite late in the season.  I think it was in the Green Bay game, Philip took a couple of really tough hits and the same type of floater passes he had with his rib injury started.  I wonder if he was playing hurt again.  Speculation but from a fan that has watched his delivery very closely for 16 years.  At the very least he rarely had any time for the longer plays to develop and without the deep threat, and a running game that was damaged from Melvin Gordon's hold out and then mid-year insertion, D's were able to cheat up on us.  A perfectly bad storm.

On many of the throws, Rivers was picked too easily, which tells me he might have developed issues with either staring down a receiver or has a tell that is being picked up.  That said, if your coach thinks he will work for your team he knows exactly what he's getting and how best to use him.  I wouldn't at all be surprised if Phil has an amazing couple of years and calls it quits.  

A quick throwing middle to short passes, with quick crossing routes and running back dump offs offense worked really well to rehabilitate his career after his last bad year.  Reich knows how well it worked and how good Rivers still is.  If there is one thing I would like to see a new coach get rid of is the waiting until the last second while reading the D.  It allows them to know exactly when they can go, that needs to be changed up.  Up tempo and no huddle are all things that Phil knows and can execute flawlessly.   

I would love to see him go all the way with another team if mine isn't in the mix and rooting for the Colts would be an easy one for me.

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

What did rivers win last year. Everyone is so sure he will give us more wins. I dm not. 

I think he does. The other option is Brissett and we’ve already gone down that road.

The Colts have a much better running game and offensive line to protect him. Colts also have a coaching staff that will undoubtedly adapt to where he’s at in his career.

8 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Not sure i'd pin that on Kaepernick. He's been out of the league so long that I'm possibly remembering the wrong Kaep. At any rate, I don't see any free agent QBs on the market now who'd be that much better than Brissett.

On Kaep, not pinning anything on him. Those were his records. Clear regression.

On FA QBs... If you added JB to the list of FA QBs names, JB would be one of the least in demand, so I don't see any FA QBs who be worse than JB.

By the way, the only FA that I'd really be happy with as a mid/long term add, is Carr. Even then, I'd prefer to draft a rook, and bring in an elder mentor that's been successful to teach him for a short term 2 year contract.

I like it.  It says you're not going to throw away 2020.  

There's no reason why Rivers can't hand the ball off for 4 quarters like Brissett did.  He might also, however, be able to push it down the field occasionally and make a play or two in the 4th quarter.

5 hours ago, Indeee said:

I don't really like him per say, I just think out of all the potential FA QB's that we know of I like him better. Age, potential, etc. I think Mariota, if polished a bit, could actually be okay in the right scheme. I actually think the bears make sense for him.

I agree the Bears would probably be about the best fit. LAC would fit to an extent as it has a strong Poly culture and the fan base might be able to get behind him. 

He can run, he has a decent arm. I just don't think Tennessee was a good fit. I mean he might be just a bust, but on a 1 year prove it deal, I think he would have higher upside and cost less than an aging Rivers as example.

Nobody really sees Rivers as a long term fit. He'd just be a bridge/mentor for a few years.

To me, I don't think it's the year for a QB to be drafted by anyone unless it's Burrow only because Burrow seems more ready to play then the rest, with Herbert being second. I feel the Colts should concentrate on DT and WR this year and if QB is an issue again next year and our record is poor then potentially be in position for Lawrence possibly. Again, I just feel DT and WR are more important, not overall, but in the immediate. 

JB isn't bad enough, and most QBs would not be bad enough, to put us into a position to get Lawrence or Fields. The surrounding cast is too good to really tank that bad.

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

By the way, the only FA that I'd really be happy with as a mid/long term add, is Carr. Even then, I'd prefer to draft a rook, and bring in an elder mentor that's been successful to teach him for a short term 2 year contract.

Carr is not a FA. If we got Carr it would be via trade. He has 2 yrs left on his contract with the Raiders. However, I agree that he is the only QB that may be had this off season in which I would be happy with. I would be thrilled with Carr if we could get him for a 2nd round pick and dump/trade Brissett/Hoyer. That would set us up to draft BPA and draft a 2nd-5th round QB (Gordan, Fromm, Hurts, McDonald, etc.) to learn from Carr while still having Kelly competing as well. 

35 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

Carr is not a FA. If we got Carr it would be via trade. He has 2 yrs left on his contract with the Raiders. However, I agree that he is the only QB that may be had this off season in which I would be happy with. I would be thrilled with Carr if we could get him for a 2nd round pick and dump/trade Brissett/Hoyer. That would set us up to draft BPA and draft a 2nd-5th round QB (Gordan, Fromm, Hurts, McDonald, etc.) to learn from Carr while still having Kelly competing as well. 

I'm aware. I should have referred to him differently.

I think it would take a 1st though. I also wouldn't look to draft a QB this early in what would be his first of 3 years. I would still part ways with JB and Hoyer though, and keep Kelly to learn and continue to prove himself. If that didn't workout, I'd draft a QB next year or the last year of Carr's contract.

10 hours ago, Restored said:

I think he does. The other option is Brissett and we’ve already gone down that road.

The Colts have a much better running game and offensive line to protect him. Colts also have a coaching staff that will undoubtedly adapt to where he’s at in his career.

Who won more games last year? That would be Brissett.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:58 PM, bestQBever said:

I don't want him. I want a mobile QB. Not someone like Jackson, but someone near Mahomes level of mobility.

The magic of Mahomes is not that he's mobile, but that he can accurately throw on the run. He will have an outstanding, but short career.

Yeah no thanks. Rivers is better than Brissett sure, but he wont be good enough to win a SB in the next 2-3 years with our current roster. I'd rather let Brissett play next year while getting a QB early in the draft then be tied up in the cap and taking away time from young players to develop.

If you think Rivers is the only step needed to win the SB soon, then I get your enthusiasm. I just highly doubt that would happen.

On 2/11/2020 at 7:00 PM, Indeee said:

I don't really like him per say, I just think out of all the potential FA QB's that we know of I like him better. Age, potential, etc. I think Mariota, if polished a bit, could actually be okay in the right scheme. I actually think the bears make sense for him. He can run, he has a decent arm. I just don't think Tennessee was a good fit. I mean he might be just a bust, but on a 1 year prove it deal, I think he would have higher upside and cost less than an aging Rivers as example. To me, I don't think it's the year for a QB to be drafted by anyone unless it's Burrow only because Burrow seems more ready to play then the rest, with Herbert being second. I feel the Colts should concentrate on DT and WR this year and if QB is an issue again next year and our record is poor then potentially be in position for Lawrence possibly. Again, I just feel DT and WR are more important, not overall, but in the immediate. 

"per se"

On 2/10/2020 at 9:13 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I honestly think JB can win 9 or 10 games with the right team around him but he just isn't a franchise QB IMO. What ever Ballard decides I am ok with it, I trust him.

winning 9 or 10 games is not going to win the division or get you past the wild card round. If mediocre is ok, then why not suck next year and get a better batch of QB's to choose from in 2021.

23 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

winning 9 or 10 games is not going to win the division or get you past the wild card round. If mediocre is ok, then why not suck next year and get a better batch of QB's to choose from in 2021.

We sucked for Luck before...so, I guess we Tank for Trevor this season?

On 2/11/2020 at 3:23 PM, Boss7894 said:

It’s sad that TY is going to have to suffer another rebuilding year with no chance for a Super Bowl.

After thinking about this, I think we need to get Terry Bridgewater or Andy Dalton.. they make me more excited and I think they will be able to help us win a SB.  What do you guys think about that?

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Myles said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but it is interesting to see what people wrote back then.   

Boss7894 thought Dalton could get us to a Superbowl but not Rivers.

We will see.  I am hoping Rivers bounces back and has a couple of great years, like Elway did.

But I am not sold that he can take us to the promised land.  He needs to play within his limitations, protect the ball, and deliver in clutch time.  I would just love to see him have his best years - which to me is about wins and losses - not individual stats.

My wish was answered looking at the old thread I wrote.  I think Rivers will do well with his supporting cast especially with the system his played under when he was coached with the Chargers under Reich and Siriani.  But the key here is he has learned from his previous errors and besides he has top notch offensive line here....

17 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

My wish was answered looking at the old thread I wrote.  I think Rivers will do well with his supporting cast especially with the system his played under when he was coached with the Chargers under Reich and Siriani.  But the key here is he has learned from his previous errors and besides he has top notch offensive line here....

I'm happy because I believe he is an improvement over what we had last year.   

22 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

As of today we have a top notch OL but look at what just happened to the Eagles.  They just lost an excellent starting guard in Brandon Brooks.  We didn't have a major injury last year on our OL.  Will we be fortunate enough again this year?  We will see but I just wish we had more proven depth there.  If our OL line stays solid Rivers should do great.  I just hope Ballard isn't done fortifying that group.  

46 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

As of today we have a top notch OL but look at what just happened to the Eagles.  They just lost an excellent starting guard in Brandon Brooks.  We didn't have a major injury last year on our OL.  Will we be fortunate enough again this year?  We will see but I just wish we had more proven depth there.  If our OL line stays solid Rivers should do great.  I just hope Ballard isn't done fortifying that group.  

I'm also a little worried about the lack of quality depth on the O-line.   Pinter may be a good backup in a year or 2, but he's only been playing on the O-line for 2 years in college.   I hope they sign someone.    Glowinski is the only one that can be replaced with minimal affects in my opinion.   

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but it is interesting to see what people wrote back then.   

Boss7894 thought Dalton could get us to a Superbowl but not Rivers.

Not a bad bump. I had advocated sticking with Brissett but wasn't sure how the locker room would respond if JB was demoted and Rivers was given the keys. We will see how it goes with a crowded QB room. 

29 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm also a little worried about the lack of quality depth on the O-line.   Pinter may be a good backup in a year or 2, but he's only been playing on the O-line for 2 years in college.   I hope they sign someone.    Glowinski is the only one that can be replaced with minimal affects in my opinion.   

That is probably why they went after that Canadian UDFA hard with a good bonus. They felt that injuries are bound to happen, to at least have enough quality guys with traits they can coach up to fill in. For a team that does not use many combinations on OL, unless injury dictates it, yes injury can wreak havoc. :goodluck:

Plus, you have guys like Cordy Glenn for tackle, Ron Leary for G, Justin Britt for C etc. in free agency still, and am sure if we are winning and are not sold on the development of the younger guys we brought in, we will fill with an experienced vet at that point. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/offensive-line/available/

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is probably why they went after that Canadian UDFA hard with a good bonus. They felt that injuries are bound to happen, to at least have enough quality guys with traits they can coach up to fill in. For a team that does not use many combinations on OL, unless injury dictates it, yes injury can wreak havoc. :goodluck:

Plus, you have guys like Cordy Glenn for tackle, Ron Leary for G, Justin Britt for C etc. in free agency still, and am sure if we are winning and are not sold on the development of the younger guys we brought in, we will fill with an experienced vet at that point. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/offensive-line/available/

That would be good.   People could resurrect their Glenn O-line jersey.  

49 minutes ago, Myles said:

That would be good.   People could resurrect their Glenn O-line jersey.  

They should have just listened to me when I was banging on the table for him after Day 1 (even created a thread for him :)), but they went with Coby Fleener instead. :( 

Just not sure if he is the same player now. A fill in for a few games but nothing more is what we need from OL guys on roster.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Not a bad bump. I had advocated sticking with Brissett but wasn't sure how the locker room would respond if JB was demoted and Rivers was given the keys. We will see how it goes with a crowded QB room. 

Hopefully the QB's will wear masks AND practice social distancing. :D

I guess Balkard and Reich should have asked some of the “EXPERTS” around here before bringing innRivers since they seem to be able to see the future.

smh

Thanks people, but i think i’ll stick with the opinions of the REAL experts, not some hacks that would have us start the season with another, like Kelly.

lmao!

(you can put an f in between the m and the a)

Archived