Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
JediXMan

Ian Rapoport: Colts are 'most logical' fit for Philip Rivers (merge)

Recommended Posts

Uhhhhhh....

 

ima...ima say no. If it comes down to us taking a FA QB, give me Brady. I can’t handle another year of JB, and I do not want Rivers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

 

Ballard gives Rivers a ton of money after giving Brissett a ton of money, and Hoyer very good money (for a backup). 

Yeah, that's not likely.

 

Did folks watch Rivers last season? The cliff for QBs is a real thing, and he fell right off it. San Diego are not jettisoning him for no reason, the front office there know what they're doing.

Did you watch the Colts the second of the season because he stunk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

 

Brissett's bad but even Ballard admits the dude had little in weapons. Rivers had a great set of weapons and was bad. It's six of one, half a dozen of the other I think.

 

My guess is CB loads up on the weapons this off season, drafts a QB, and lets him battle it out with Brissett for the starting job.

 

And the year before the LAC had a top 3 offense...according to DVOA and won 12 games. The cliff may very well be real for Rivers...but there is also the upside of getting top 10 type production out of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, superrep1967 said:

I don't he had the right team around him last season and still stunk it up the second half of the season very inconsistent. 

I disagree, his whole WR core was depleted with injury and our defense stunk to high heaven the last month of the season. Had TY been 100% at Houston we probably win that game and the division because that was a 2 game swing. TY was maybe at 50% that game, was slow and dropping passes. We only lost by 3 points.

 

Don't even let me get started on our kicking game which cost us at least 2 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, a06cc said:

I don’t like Rivers. We had beef with the Chargers in Manning last few season here. With that being said I’m hoping we just let Jacoby play out his contract here. You guys don’t see the ins and out in the locker room. The team supports him. With everything we’ve been through for the past fews seasons I’d hope all of you would do that same. He wasn’t healthy and couldn’t step into his throws. He played through an injury for all of you. 

Reich and Ballard see the ins and outs in the locker room.  And Ballard said "The jury is still out." Not a ringing endorsement by any means. I'm not even sure the team supports him any more.  I can still see players throwing their hands up in the air at him at the end of the season.  Rivers just said he is looking at his next stop as a two year deal.  If we draft a QB I would rather have him develop behind Rivers than JB. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we draft a QB in the first round they aren’t sitting two years. I would give rivers one year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

 

If he's healthy and the weapons stay healthy, 8-8 or 9-7 is plausible. Like you, i agree, he's just a struggling QB. Nice guy, great leader, but that's not enough.


This makes no sense.  Of course 8-8 or 9-7 is plausible.  Had he had even an average kicker on his team this season he would’ve won 9-10 games.  Even with all the injuries.  Even with the lack of weapons at his disposal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, a06cc said:

I don’t like Rivers. We had beef with the Chargers in Manning last few season here. With that being said I’m hoping we just let Jacoby play out his contract here. You guys don’t see the ins and out in the locker room. The team supports him. With everything we’ve been through for the past fews seasons I’d hope all of you would do that same. He wasn’t healthy and couldn’t step into his throws. He played through an injury for all of you. 

Soooo, you see the in's and out's in the locker room?  IMO, JB was given a great opportunity to become a starting QB in this league, but lacks the talent.  He shared locker rooms with 2 great QB's, and he hasn't improved, in fact, I personally think he has regressed.  You can blame it on his knee, but by his own admission, it wasn't causing him problems.

 

As far as the team supporting him, I think just the opposite.  This is pro football, these guys earn their money based on their production, the more they produce, the more money they have the opportunity to make.  If your QB can't see open WR's, and if he does, he overthrows, underthrows, or throws 200 mph screen passes, game after game, that doesn't create a good locker room environment.  If our great oline  protects JB play after play only to see his inability to read the defense, go through his reads, and fail to see the open guy time after time, then their effort is wasted.  I think it's time for JB to go, this team needs a new starting QB, at this point I think anyone else would be an improvement.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

Soooo, you see the in's and out's in the locker room?  IMO, JB was given a great opportunity to become a starting QB in this league, but lacks the talent.  He shared locker rooms with 2 great QB's, and he hasn't improved, in fact, I personally think he has regressed.  You can blame it on his knee, but by his own admission, it wasn't causing him problems.

 

As far as the team supporting him, I think just the opposite.  This is pro football, these guys earn their money based on their production, the more they produce, the more money they have the opportunity to make.  If your QB can't see open WR's, and if he does, he overthrows, underthrows, or throws 200 mph screen passes, game after game, that doesn't create a good locker room environment.  If our great oline  protects JB play after play only to see his inability to read the defense, go through his reads, and fail to see the open guy time after time, then their effort is wasted.  I think it's time for JB to go, this team needs a new starting QB, at this point I think anyone else would be an improvement.

"at this point I think anyone else would be an improvement". I think this guy definitely would be and he wears the same number homer simpson touchdown GIF

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way I see the Colts making this move is if they don’t like any of the QBs in this draft.  Otherwise I think they draft a QB to develop next year while Jacoby starts the season to transition to the rookie at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

He also cost them A ton of games. He threw interceptions at bad times. 

Like @2006Coltsbestever said, his OL was plain awful. PFF ranked them 29th in the league. Their tackle duo allowed the 2nd most pressures in the league.... That won't bode well for statues or scramblers. Bad is bad. The fact he put up 4600 under those conditions is pretty remarkable.

8 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

Austin Eckler had 92 catches this year. A lot of River's throws were one-read, shorter completions that the receivers got RAC on. Our offense doesn't have a lot of that here. It sure would help Jacoby if we added screens and plays to get Hines and Mack open like the Chargers did with Eckler. 

A ton of Rivers throws are late read deep throws. He was #3 in "pass attempt distance, #5 in completed air yards, and #6 in deep ball attempts. He did throw to RBs a lot, but he also had 2 WRs over 1000 yards, and they got a ton of deep action.

 

JB had plenty of opportunity throwing it short. He was bottom ten in the 3 stats i listed above. He was also terrible throwing it in the seam +5 where RBs, TEs, and slots like to sit down for the dump.

 

Quote

Phillip Rivers cannot move anymore. It only matters so much how good your offensive line was if your quarterback is not going to evade pressure, make people miss, or do anything outside of the pocket. He doesn't even throw the ball away. All Rivers does is throw the ball into triple coverage or take sacks. 

Rivers has never been a runner. He's got a 44yards/year average in his years starting.

Keep in mind, he's only one season away from a 12-4 record and his highest QBR in six years.

It comes down to their OL has been progressively getting worse since 2014, and this last year it bottomed out. Even with that, 9 of their 11 losses were by a touchdown or less.

Quote

His decision making is horrible. I think people just saw his press conference where he said he "throws interceptions at the end of games trying to make plays" and just ran with it. There were plenty of interceptions this year that were just *ic reads where he could have just thrown the ball away.

He's correct. I saw a stat where a good portion of his INTs were 4Q when the team was down. Every QB forced to play hero ball has INT issues. His TD/INT was much better last year. Last year's INT numbers is something that can easily be fixed an improved OL, scheme, etc..

 

Landing in Indy would be night and day for him. Even with all the INTs in 2019, he was still 66%, and that's with having the #7 most drops. Everyone whined about JB having to deal with drops, and he was only 14th.

Quote

The only thing Phillip really has over Jacoby is his ability to read defenses. It's hard to play at the level he did for so many years without that ability. Half the QB's in the NFL struggle with it, but Colts fans only watch Jacoby so they crucify him for it. 

LOL, are you serious. Even in one of Rivers' worst season, he still have a ton more yards, better completions % (10th vs 26th), YPG (6th vs 29th), AVG (11th vs 30th).

 

I don't really want Rivers to be honest, but saying he wouldn't be a clear upgrade over JB is twilight zone stuff. If Rivers came to Indy he would have a top 5 OL (vs LAC's bottom 5 OL) and a top 10 running game (vs LAC's bottom 5 running game), etc.. 

 

The only way I'd want Rivers is if we're bringing him in for a 2 year bridge to mentor a guy like Love, Herbert, Eason, or Jordan. I'd be perfectly good with that.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All over the ESPN talking shows they all agree, Indy makes the most sense since he has a long history with the Colts coaches..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The_Ricktator said:

There's 0% chance the Colts are entering 2020 with Rivers ans Brissett on their roster.

I'd be fine with Rivers + Love/Tua/Herbert/Eason/Gordon though.

5 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

All over the ESPN talking shows they all agree, Indy makes the most sense since he has a long history with the Colts coaches..

On NFL Live, they said the most sense was TB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

TB is going to re-sign Winston.

I thought so too, but beginning to think different. 

Even Vegas has odds that favor Winston playing somewhere else.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rivers to the Colts would be a disaster. The Colts have NO offensive weapons or at least no where near enough for Rivers to look decent. Think about it? Rivers couldn't win with Allen, Henry, Williams, Gordon, and Eckler. What makes you think he would come in here and win with Hilton, Doyle, Pascal, Campbell, and Mack...Ha!! Seriously??

 

If Rivers went or goes to Tampa, he might not look so inept as Tampa is stacked with weapons, especially if Tampa signs or trades for David Johnson, which is something I believe they should do, or maybe even Bell. They need a better back then Jones, anyway, Rivers to the Colts would be a disaster... Rappaport is just trying to drum up clicks

  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Rivers to the Colts would be a disaster. The Colts have NO offensive weapons or at least no where near enough for Rivers to look decent. Think about it? Rivers couldn't win with Allen, Henry, Williams, Gordon, and Eckler. What makes you think he would come in here and win with Hilton, Doyle, Pascal, Campbell, and Mack...Ha!! Seriously??

 

If Rivers went or goes to Tampa, he might not look so inept as Tampa is stacked with weapons, especially if Tampa signs or trades for David Johnson, which is something I believe they should do, or maybe even Bell. They need a better back then Jones, anyway, Rivers to the Colts would be a disaster... Rappaport is just trying to drum up clicks

He also moved his family to Florida didn't he? I know he could theoretically play anywhere, but I personally wouldn't want to be that far away from the kids. Tampa might make a lot of sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rivers would be my third choice to bring in at QB. I have said it in other threads, but I think Carr would be the best choice for us at QB. If we couldn't get Carr then I would prefer Brady over Rivers, but I would be shocked if Brady would even take a meeting with the Colts. I think our best option would be to make a trade with Gruden and get Carr into town as soon as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just, why bother?  Rivers fell off the cliff last season.  JB has roughly the same chance of succeeding next year, with more upside at this point.  Plus, and I hate to bring this up given his 37 kids and Christian lifestyle off the field, but he’s a real jackwagon on the field...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Rivers to the Colts would be a disaster. The Colts have NO offensive weapons or at least no where near enough for Rivers to look decent. Think about it? Rivers couldn't win with Allen, Henry, Williams, Gordon, and Eckler. What makes you think he would come in here and win with Hilton, Doyle, Pascal, Campbell, and Mack...Ha!! Seriously??

 

If Rivers went or goes to Tampa, he might not look so inept as Tampa is stacked with weapons, especially if Tampa signs or trades for David Johnson, which is something I believe they should do, or maybe even Bell. They need a better back then Jones, anyway, Rivers to the Colts would be a disaster... Rappaport is just trying to drum up clicks

Luck threw for almost 4600 yards to the same weapons Brissett threw less than 3000 to last year. 4600 is coincidentally the numbers of yards Rivers threw for last year. 

 

Luck thew 4600 to 

TY

Rogers

Pascal

Inman

Ebron (Doyle was out most of 18)

 

I absolutely think Rivers could win with TY, Campbell, Doyle, Funch (most think he'll be re-signed), Pascal or Rogers, plus a likely new WR in the draft. 

 

Don't make the mistake of misidentifying regression (due to bad QB play and injury) to lack of talent. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

But is Rivers a fit FOR the Colts?

Rivers is well rounded and could play in Reich's system. Good at reads, progressions, and has a top 5 time to throw. The only dig on him really is INTs, and that can be explained.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Luck threw for almost 4600 yards to the same weapons Brissett threw less than 3000 to last year. 4600 is coincidentally the numbers of yards Rivers threw for last year. 

 

Luck thew 4600 to 

TY

Rogers

Pascal

Inman

Ebron (Doyle was out most of 18)

 

I absolutely think Rivers could win with TY, Campbell, Doyle, Funch (most think he'll be re-signed), Pascal or Rogers, plus a likely new WR in the draft. 

 

Don't make the mistake of misidentifying regression (due to bad QB play and injury) to lack of talent. 

Come on dude.. Rivers does not equal Luck in any aspect, that's like saying Rivers is Brady as Brady made all his crappy receivers in the EARLY years look great. Rivers is older, 8 years over Luck. If Rivers was younger sure, but no way he is going to be successful with our band of rag tags at this stage of his career

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rather watch Curtis freaking Painter again than Rivers, dear lord. 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Come on dude.. Rivers does not equal Luck in any aspect, that's like saying Rivers is Brady as Brady made all his crappy receivers in the EARLY years look great. Rivers is older, 8 years over Luck. If Rivers was younger sure, but no way he is going to be successful with our band of rag tags at this stage of his career

Luck played behind a top 5 line in 2018 and threw for 4600

Brissett played behind the same top 5 OL, with the same weapons, and couldn't break 3000.

Rivers played behind the 29th ranked OL last year with really only 2 WRs and threw for 4600

 

LAC really only had 2 WRs most of the year. They had a revolving door due to injury and other issues. Inman even played a couple games there. 90% of his yards went to the same two WRs, only one TE, and one RB. It's not like he had 5 or 6 WRs and multiple good TEs, etc. who were good/deep. He had 2+1+1... and made good use of his RB (better than he ever has).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Luck played behind a top 5 line in 2018 and threw for 4600

Brissett played behind the same top 5 OL, with the same weapons, and couldn't break 3000.

Rivers played behind the 29th ranked OL last year with really only 2 WRs and threw for 4600

 

LAC really only had 2 WRs most of the year. They had a revolving door due to injury and other issues. Inman even played a couple games there. 90% of his yards went to the same two WRs, only one TE, and one RB. It's not like he had 5 or 6 WRs and multiple good TEs, etc. who were good/deep. He had 2+1+1... and made good use of his RB (better than he ever has).

Ok we are going to agree to disagree. Rivers is NOT the answer. Should not even come up in conversation, however if you believe he is, then by all means keep banging that drum my friend

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Ok we are going to agree to disagree. Rivers is NOT the answer. Should not even come up in conversation, however if you believe he is, then by all means keep banging that drum my friend

Like I said, I don't want Rivers, unless he is a short term mentor/bridge for a young rook.

 

That said, he's a huge step up from Brissett. Everything I listed above are simply stats and context. 

 

So, honest question... It's likely that we draft a QB this year (most mocks, talking heads, fans would agree).... So assuming we do draft a QB, who would you want mentoring that QB. Rivers, or JB?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Like I said, I don't want Rivers, unless he is a short term mentor/bridge for a young rook.

 

That said, he's a huge step up from Brissett. Everything I listed above are simply stats and context. 

 

So, honest question... It's likely that we draft a QB this year (most mocks, talking heads, fans would agree).... So assuming we do draft a QB, who would you want mentoring that QB. Rivers, or JB?

That's a tough question for me as I don't want the Colts to draft a QB at all this year. Im a Kelly supporter, so I would like him to get a really fair shot but if I would have to pick one QB from FA, I would pick Mariota. Hes still young and might be okay in different setting. Mariota on a prove it deal like Tannehil got

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

That's a tough question for me as I don't want the Colts to draft a QB at all this year. Im a Kelly supporter, so I would like him to get a really fair shot but if I would have to pick one QB from FA, I would pick Mariota. Hes still young and might be okay in different setting. Mariota on a prove it deal like Tannehil got

So you would want to have Mariota mentor/bridge a young rook? huh?

 

I'd love to see Kelly get a fair shot. I just don't see the FO not making a move. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Like I said, I don't want Rivers, unless he is a short term mentor/bridge for a young rook.

 

That said, he's a huge step up from Brissett. Everything I listed above are simply stats and context. 

 

So, honest question... It's likely that we draft a QB this year (most mocks, talking heads, fans would agree).... So assuming we do draft a QB, who would you want mentoring that QB. Rivers, or JB?

RIVERS!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seriously can't believe people are seriously having this conversation. :mindblow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, rayski said:

I rather watch Curtis freaking Painter again than Rivers, dear lord. 

 

Well since I was basically the first one around here to posit that this was the move to get the team out of QB purgatory, I'll use this point to spring off of. I'm not saying there aren't other guys that'd be potentially better, but you have to look at the fit and Rivers more than Dalton, Carr or Newton has a logical fit here.

 

If we're going to bring up Painter, Jacoby is much closer to that type of player than Rivers. In fact, the back half of the season, JB looked a lot like Painter did for his stretch. 

 

Rivers would be a quality stop gap to end the bleeding. One of the worst things that can happen in football is to have confidence eroded. We were watching a team that played over it's head for Luck learn to play down to a level of expectation that they couldn't do it. That's the story of the back half of last season. They lost confidence/mojo/it factor, call it whatever. With Rivers, the big benefit is that stops, at least for a time, hopefully for the year. I don't think it's a SB winning move, but staying pat has this team on course for another mediocre or bad year and I don't see how guys who's job's depend on performance are going to let this stand, but I could be wrong, the pro JB crowd does make a case for bringing him back again, I just think it'd be a waste of a season. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom Telesco is a brilliant mind, he worked in Indy which means you know firsthand how smart he is. Why would you take what he's discarded? 

 

Think about it for a moment.

 

FYI, the Chargers arguably have a better roster than Indy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

I was on your side until you suggested kaepernick.....

 

Understandable however he's 32 and can still play. So politics aside, seems like a name to consider instead of guys like Rivers.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

 

Understandable however he's 32 and can still play. So politics aside, seems like a name to consider instead of guys like Rivers.

I think more teams would rather have Chad Kelly than Kaepernick.

He had one good year and regressed in each of the next 3 year. 

12-4 then 8-8 then 2-6 then 1-10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Like I said, I don't want Rivers, unless he is a short term mentor/bridge for a young rook.

 

That said, he's a huge step up from Brissett. Everything I listed above are simply stats and context. 

 

So, honest question... It's likely that we draft a QB this year (most mocks, talking heads, fans would agree).... So assuming we do draft a QB, who would you want mentoring that QB. Rivers, or JB?

The quarterback coach.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could stand it, but I really think they're either going to draft a guy or hang their hat on Chad Kelly.  Not sure which

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...