Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ian Rapoport: Colts are 'most logical' fit for Philip Rivers (merge)

JediXMan

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I can definitely see it happening Reich and Rivers have a history. He (Rivers) would be more accurate than Brissett and more savvy. I think it's very possible we pickup Rivers and we draft a QB and the rookie learns from him. 

Ballard gives Rivers a ton of money after giving Brissett a ton of money, and Hoyer very good money (for a backup). 

Yeah, that's not likely.

Did folks watch Rivers last season? The cliff for QBs is a real thing, and he fell right off it. San Diego are not jettisoning him for no reason, the front office there know what they're doing.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rivers had a bad Offensive Line in LA and yes he is better than JB and defend JB a lot in here. Rivers would be an upgrade.

This isn't about defending Brissett. Brissett has shown nothing worth dying on his hill for however Rivers was decidedly bad last season, and it wasn't just about Oline. Dude made bad throws pretty much every game whether he had time in the pocket or not. He's 38. He's the best of the big 3 (him, Eli, and Big Ben) imho but wanting him in Indy as a stop gap is not a great idea. 

FYI, while this Oline is 'good', it isn't great. Brissett and Luck's escape-ability certainly helped the numbers. 

At any rate, I hope Ballard doesn't do something like this. It'd be a quick way to hover around .500 again.

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

This isn't about defending Brissett. Brissett has shown nothing worth dying on his hill for however Rivers was decidedly bad last season, and it wasn't just about Oline. Dude made bad throws pretty much every game whether he had time in the pocket or not. He's 38. He's the best of the big 3 (him, Eli, and Big Ben) imho but wanting him in Indy as a stop gap is not a great idea. 

FYI, while this Oline is 'good', it isn't great. Brissett and Luck's escape-ability certainly helped the numbers. 

At any rate, I hope Ballard doesn't do something like this. It'd be a quick way to hover around .500 again.

38 isn't really that old anymore when you look at guys like Brees and Brady playing into their 40's. Rivers IMO can play 2 more years with a great O.Line that we have. In LA he had no time to throw.

2 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

So what QB FA you rather have. I can't stand Jacoby dude has no down field vision lol.

Can't stand Jacoby? I don't disagree but you don't jump from the frying pan into the fire ya know.

There're not really a lot of enticing names out there. Much like pass rushers, good QBs rarely hit the open market. 

They're usually either old and washed or a dicey gamble (like Peyton was for the Broncos). 

Maybe Kaepernick?

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

38 isn't really that old anymore when you look at guys like Brees and Brady playing into their 40's. Rivers IMO can play 2 more years with a great O.Line that we have. In LA he had no time to throw.

2 more seasons. Okay. 

I wouldn't touch it but I understand why people want that.

Just now, Colt.45 said:

2 more seasons. Okay. 

I wouldn't touch it but I understand why people want that.

Yeah I would sign him to a 2 yr deal and that would be it. 38 is somewhat old but not like old in football terms 10 or 20 years ago. Peyton won the SB at 39. Even if we sign Rivers that doesn't mean we still can't draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round to groom or even take a QB at #13.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I would sign him to a 2 yr deal and that would be it. 38 is somewhat old but not like old in football terms 10 or 20 years ago. Peyton won the SB at 39. Even if we sign Rivers that doesn't mean we still can't draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round to groom or even take a QB at #13.

Brissett's bad but even Ballard admits the dude had little in weapons. Rivers had a great set of weapons and was bad. It's six of one, half a dozen of the other I think.

My guess is CB loads up on the weapons this off season, drafts a QB, and lets him battle it out with Brissett for the starting job.

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Brissett's bad but even Ballard admits the dude had little in weapons. Rivers had a great set of weapons and was bad. It's six of one, half a dozen of the other I think.

My guess is CB loads up on the weapons this off season, drafts a QB, and lets him battle it out with Brissett for the starting job.

I honestly think JB can win 9 or 10 games with the right team around him but he just isn't a franchise QB IMO. What ever Ballard decides I am ok with it, I trust him.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I honestly think JB can win 9 or 10 games with the right team around him but he just isn't a franchise QB IMO. What ever Ballard decides I am ok with it, I trust him.

If he's healthy and the weapons stay healthy, 8-8 or 9-7 is plausible. Like you, i agree, he's just a struggling QB. Nice guy, great leader, but that's not enough.

2 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I'm convinced no one on this forum watches any team other than the Colts. Phillip Rivers is done. 

Rivers threw for 4600 Yards, 7.8 Y/A = most people's favorite stats in here, and 23 TD's last season. If that is done I will take done. He had a terrible Offense Line last season and had no time to throw but yet still put up those numbers. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rivers threw for 4600 Yards, 7.8 Y/A = most people's favorite stats in here, and 23 TD's last season. If that is done I will take done. He had a terrible Offense Line last season and had no time to throw but yet still put up those numbers. 

He also cost them A ton of games. He threw interceptions at bad times. 

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Austin Eckler had 92 catches this year. A lot of River's throws were one-read, shorter completions that the receivers got RAC on. Our offense doesn't have a lot of that here. It sure would help Jacoby if we added screens and plays to get Hines and Mack open like the Chargers did with Eckler. 

Phillip Rivers cannot move anymore. It only matters so much how good your offensive line was if your quarterback is not going to evade pressure, make people miss, or do anything outside of the pocket. He doesn't even throw the ball away. All Rivers does is throw the ball into triple coverage or take sacks. 

His decision making is horrible. I think people just saw his press conference where he said he "throws interceptions at the end of games trying to make plays" and just ran with it. There were plenty of interceptions this year that were just *ic reads where he could have just thrown the ball away.

The only thing Phillip really has over Jacoby is his ability to read defenses. It's hard to play at the level he did for so many years without that ability. Half the QB's in the NFL struggle with it, but Colts fans only watch Jacoby so they crucify him for it. 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

And what happens if AC retired. That would be a disaster.

I think if we sign Rivers, AC will be back for sure and most of the team would regain confidence believing they can win a lot of games. I think our team lost confidence in JB toward the end of the season. Justin Houston deserves to play with a good QB on the other side of the ball, he came here because of Luck IMO.

Our O.Line is still better than LA's even if we have to replace AC. I would take a Tackle at #13 if that would be the case.

On NFL Total Access tonight they interviewed one of his teammates whose name I can't remember sorry.  But he signed with the Chargers as a FA last year because of Rivers being the QB.  He viewed them as serious contenders when he signed.  He said he is far from being done and attributed excessive injuries to their OL and other positions as being major factors affecting the teams performance.  He said he is one of the best QBs he has ever seen at reading defenses and checking down to the right plays. Totally blew him away.  It appears this is happening because he wants nothing to do with LA. 

5 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Austin Eckler had 92 catches this year. A lot of River's throws were one-read, shorter completions that the receivers got RAC on. Our offense doesn't have a lot of that here. It sure would help Jacoby if we added screens and plays to get Hines and Mack open like the Chargers did with Eckler. 

Phillip Rivers cannot move anymore. It only matters so much how good your offensive line was if your quarterback is not going to evade pressure, make people miss, or do anything outside of the pocket. He doesn't even throw the ball away. All Rivers does is throw the ball into triple coverage or take sacks. 

His decision making is horrible. I think people just saw his press conference where he said he "throws interceptions at the end of games trying to make plays" and just ran with it. There were plenty of interceptions this year that were just *ic reads where he could have just thrown the ball away.

The only thing Phillip really has over Jacoby is his ability to read defenses. It's hard to play at the level he did for so many years without that ability. Half the QB's in the NFL struggle with it, but Colts fans only watch Jacoby so they crucify him for it. 

I defend JB all the time in here but he isn't better than Rivers.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I defend JB all the time in here but he isn't better than Rivers.

In my opinion, the first half of the season Jacoby was much better than Rivers. Second half of the season Jacoby was about equal to Rivers if not a little worse.

I don't think Jacoby is our franchise QB and I never did, but the only thing that infuriated me when watching the games last year was his inaccuracy in the second half of the season.

However, until proven otherwise, I'm convinced that it had to do with his MCL injury. You don't just get that inaccurate all of a sudden from one game to the next.

I'd rather stick with Jacoby on the last year of his contract while developing a rookie than pick up any free agent QB outside of Brady or Brees (who are not coming here).

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

Can't stand Jacoby? I don't disagree but you don't jump from the frying pan into the fire ya know.

There're not really a lot of enticing names out there. Much like pass rushers, good QBs rarely hit the open market. 

They're usually either old and washed or a dicey gamble (like Peyton was for the Broncos). 

Maybe Kaepernick?

I was on your side until you suggested kaepernick.....

7 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

In my opinion, the first half of the season Jacoby was much better than Rivers. Second half of the season Jacoby was about equal to Rivers if not a little worse.

I don't think Jacoby is our franchise QB and I never did, but the only thing that infuriated me when watching the games last year was his inaccuracy in the second half of the season.

However, until proven otherwise, I'm convinced that it had to do with his MCL injury. You don't just get that inaccurate all of a sudden from one game to the next.

I'd rather stick with Jacoby on the last year of his contract while developing a rookie than pick up any free agent QB outside of Brady or Brees (who are not coming here).

According to some in here, JB was a below average QB during our 5-2 stretch and was never accurate lmao . Which to me was comical, you can't have beIow average QB play and be 5-2 because the QB touches the ball on every play and runs the offense period. I get what you are saying, I liked what I was seeing when we were 5-2. I personally have been on the Carr bandwagon for a while as he is only 28 and in his prime. He is a poor mans Andrew Luck IMO. He is good but not in the very good or great category. We would have to trade for him though.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

According to some in here, JB was a below average QB during our 5-2 stretch and was never accurate lmao . Which to me was comical, you can't have beIow average QB play and be 5-2 because the QB touches the ball on every play and runs the offense period. I get what you are saying, I liked what I was seeing when we were 5-2. I personally have been the Carr bandwagon for a while as he is only 28 and in his prime. He is a poor mans Andrew Luck IMO. He is good but not in the very good or great category. We would have to trade for him though.

I personally don't think any QB outside of Brees or Brady that will be (or could potentially be) available will be better than Jacoby next season. If people had problems with Jacoby eyeing down receivers and only throwing it to his first read, Derek Carr is going to get ran out of town because he is the king of it.

All of this is just my opinion and I could be wrong. However, it would shock me if the Colts brought in any QB other than a rookie though after looking at the options in FA and the trade market.

1 minute ago, Bluefire4 said:

I personally don't think any QB outside of Brees or Brady that will be (or could potentially be) available will be better than Jacoby next season. If people had problems with Jacoby eyeing down receivers and only throwing it to his first read, Derek Carr is going to get ran out of town because he is the king of it.

All of this is just my opinion and I could be wrong. However, it would shock me if the Colts brought in any QB other than a rookie though after looking at the options in FA and the trade market.

Whatever Ballard decides I will be ok with it because I am not a JB hater. JB did have a 14/3 TD to INT ratio during that 5-2 stretch which is not 'good' it is 'great'. 

Just now, LockeDown said:

Rivers would be similar to Peyton in Denver. He would make the right calls and the right passes. Something JB could not do.

I do agree that Rivers for us would be like Peyton in Denver. The Peyton in the last year who got benched for Osweiler, and then was put back in the lineup and won a super bowl.

The questions we would have to ask ourselves is: 

1. Is Jacoby on the level of Brock Osweiler in terms of ineptitude?

I completely disagree with this and think his MCL injury was a major reason for his awful play down the stretch.

2. Will this Colts team be good enough to carry Rivers to a championship like Denver did for Peyton?

I don't think this Colts team is at that level, and unless they make major moves (which would go against their philosophy) and those moves turn out to be great, they aren't going to be at that level next season. 

With all of that said I honestly think Jacoby is the best option for us next season as we develop our next franchise quarterback. We're all acting like he didn't win 7 games last year and wasn't on the verge of winning more before his injury.

It wasn't like this Colts team was perfect and only needed a better QB to be a super bowl team last year.

1 minute ago, Bluefire4 said:

I do agree that Rivers for us would be like Peyton in Denver. The Peyton in the last year who got benched for Osweiler, and then was put back in the lineup and won a super bowl.

The questions we would have to ask ourselves is: 

1. Is Jacoby on the level of Brock Osweiler in terms of ineptitude?

I completely disagree with this and think his MCL injury was a major reason for his awful play down the stretch.

2. Will this Colts team be good enough to carry Rivers to a championship like Denver did for Peyton?

I don't think this Colts team is at that level, and unless they make major moves (which would go against their philosophy) and those moves turn out to be great, they aren't going to be at that level next season. 

With all of that said I honestly think Jacoby is the best option for us next season as we develop our next franchise quarterback. We're all acting like he didn't win 7 games last year and wasn't on the verge of winning more before his injury.

It wasn't like this Colts team was perfect and only needed a better QB to be a super bowl team last year.

He won more games then rivers and probably had less talent then Rivers.

Like I said in another post as long as they don’t pass up a QB they love in the first round I don’t really care what they do. I just want to at least know we hAve the future in the building. No drafting Rivers then drafting a QB in the third or fourth rd. I would rather just let Jacoby finish his contract and draft Love or another QB high.

I don’t like Rivers. We had beef with the Chargers in Manning last few season here. With that being said I’m hoping we just let Jacoby play out his contract here. You guys don’t see the ins and out in the locker room. The team supports him. With everything we’ve been through for the past fews seasons I’d hope all of you would do that same. He wasn’t healthy and couldn’t step into his throws. He played through an injury for all of you. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't he had the right team around him last season and still stunk it up the second half of the season very inconsistent. 

Archived