Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bob Knight Returns to IU

Did anyone else watch the IU-Purdue game on Saturday when they had the halftime ceremony honoring the 1980 IU team?  About 40 or so former players from that year and several other years showed up for the ceremony, but the huge appearance was the return of Bob Knight after 20 years away from the school after he was let go.

No surprise that he received a huge ovation from the crowd and he seemed happy to be there.  All the people involved in his ouster are long gone, so it was time for him to come back.

I was never a huge fan of his, although he was a great coach and won 3 NCAA titles with IU.  His methods were questionable and he made some bad choices with his conduct.  But, I respect what he accomplished and he did a lot for the university outside of basketball, not to mention how he helped Landon Turner and his family after Turner's auto accident left him paralyzed.

How did you all react to his homecoming?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry Sears said:

Did anyone else watch the IU-Purdue game on Saturday when they had the halftime ceremony honoring the 1980 IU team?  About 40 or so former players from that year and several other years showed up for the ceremony, but the huge appearance was the return of Bob Knight after 20 years away from the school after he was let go.

No surprise that he received a huge ovation from the crowd and he seemed happy to be there.  All the people involved in his ouster are long gone, so it was time for him to come back.

I was never a huge fan of his, although he was a great coach and won 3 NCAA titles with IU.  His methods were questionable and he made some bad choices with his conduct.  But, I respect what he accomplished and he did a lot for the university outside of basketball, not to mention how he helped Landon Turner and his family after Turner's auto accident left him paralyzed.

How did you all react to his homecoming?

I didn't see it but the 1981 team was my favorite IU team of all-time. Isiah was unreal and I actually have worked out with and met Ray Tolbert. He and Landon Turner used to go to Ballies a lot. Ray really helped Landon out a bunch, helping him get around in his wheelchair and with therapy.  

• Like 2

I was a lifelong season ticket holder until they fired Coach Knight, I never went back until last Saturday.  IMO, Coach Knight, was 1 of the greatest NCAA coaches of all time.  Love him or hate him, he ran a clean program, and produced quality BB teams.  I have nothing but respect for him, it is so sad to see what age and disease has done to this once proud man.

Yep, I was there, wouldn't have missed it for the world, and to be totally honest, I cried like a baby when he walked on the floor.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

I was a lifelong season ticket holder until they fired Coach Knight, I never went back until last Saturday.  IMO, Coach Knight, was 1 of the greatest NCAA coaches of all time.  Love him or hate him, he ran a clean program, and produced quality BB teams.  I have nothing but respect for him, it is so sad to see what age and disease has done to this once proud man.

Yep, I was there, wouldn't have missed it for the world, and to be totally honest, I cried like a baby when he walked on the floor.

I.U. basketball hasn't been the same since he left. I used to watch every game when he was there. I treated it like a Colts game when I.U. played in the 80's and 90's. I would say over the last 15 years or so I have watched maybe 2 or 3 I.U. games a year on average lol. When Davis took I.U. to the final game in 2001 that was with Bob's players. 

• Like 3