Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers officially out as a Charger

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I wonder if this is the same situation for Carr and the Raiders.  He just had his $2.9M bonus guaranteed a few days ago.  I wonder if they could clear more cap space by trading him before a certain date.  

According to https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/oakland-raiders/

If they trade him before July they save 16.5M, and the dead money on him for Oakland will be just 5M, so I would guess Carr would count for about 16.5M for the team trading for him. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Waylon said:

He’s not available yet. They’ve just announced that they won’t be re-signing him, so he will go through the free agency process. At least in theory. We can’t sign him until mid-March when the new league year begins. 

I didn't mean right now...I meant in comparison to weeks ago when he still might stay with LAC.

On 2/10/2020 at 2:49 PM, Chloe6124 said:

We still should sign a first round QB if we are sold on one. We already have a developmental guy in Kelly so no reason to get another in a later round. Rivers was bad last year. What makes  anyone think he will win here. Reich was fired as his OC.

no we shouldnt .     There are no 1st round QB's beside Burrows and MAYBE Tua!!!    Stop REACHING!!!  good God this team needs talent not a project with the 13th pick .  

25 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

no we shouldnt .     There are no 1st round QB's beside Burrows and MAYBE Tua!!!    Stop REACHING!!!  good God this team needs talent not a project with the 13th pick .  

There are other quarterbacks who are first round picks that won’t be reaching. Everyone on here wants to cry if we don’t get the top pick let’s not draft one at all. Mahomes was the tenth pick and sat a year.

19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There are other quarterbacks who are first round picks that won’t be reaching. Everyone on here wants to cry if we don’t get the top pick let’s not draft one at all. Mahomes was the tenth pick and sat a year.

Mahomes is not in this draft!!!!!!!!  Im guessing you are young and lock onto the headlines .   DO some research with an unbiased mind .   

We need talent . not a reach on a second tier QB just to take a QB because we "need" one

20 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm confused on this post.  

You say - "Rivers is a band aide at best." but also say - "but we need a young QB to develop"

How is this hard to understand?

1) Rivers is a temporary move

2) A rookie QB to develop has NOTHING to do with Rivers

They are two different things

Expecting Rivers to be the “developer” of a rookie QB isn’t the answer

If you need to develop a young QB, don't you need a bridge QB as a "band aid"?

It sounds like you are happy with throwing 2020 away and not trying to improve and try to compete in the playoffs.  I'm not.  I want improvement at the QB position.  

Rivers by himself , at this stage of his career, at 38....., Is SLIGHTLY better than JB..... That was last year...... what if he slides further? He is not the player he was 15 years ago....

Why bother?

If we want a vet that will improve the team...... Today.... you make a deal for Carr, which I have advocated for

If we don’t want a player like Carr, then I want a rookie QB to develop and let them compete with JB and CK for starting reps

LAC believe they can move on from Rivers.... They believe that he is done

LAC is reported to be looking for a rookie QB...... why not have Rivers stay in LAC and help develop the rookie QB?

The EXACT role you are seeking for Rivers on the Colts(I guess)

Maybe LAC knows what they are doing.....

27 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

How is this hard to understand?

1) Rivers is a temporary move

2) A rookie QB to develop has NOTHING to do with Rivers

They are two different things

Expecting Rivers to be the “developer” of a rookie QB isn’t the answer

Rivers by himself , at this stage of his career, at 38....., Is SLIGHTLY better than JB..... That was last year...... what if he slides further? He is not the player he was 15 years ago....

Slightly?

Throwing for 4600+ yards on 66% completion  behind the 5th worst pass blocking O-line is much better than Brissett throwing for 2900+ yards on 60% completion behind the 2nd best pass blocking O-line.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

Slightly?

Throwing for 4600+ yards on 66% completion  behind the 5th worst pass blocking O-line is much better than Brissett throwing for 2900+ yards on 60% completion behind the 2nd best pass blocking O-line.

For a complete and fair analysis you HAVE to include the whole story..... which includes INTs, which Rivers had 20

If LAC thought that Rivers was the answer for a stop gap bandaid for their next rookie QB....  Rivers would still be their QB

You and I agree more than we disagree.....

We can agree to disagree on this topic

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

For a complete and fair analysis you HAVE to include the whole story..... which includes INTs, which Rivers had 20

If LAC thought that Rivers was the answer for a stop gap bandaid for their next rookie QB....  Rivers would still be their QB

You and I agree more than we disagree.....

We can agree to disagree on this topic

He did have 20 INT's, but that was behind the 5th worst O-line.  He was also hurt.  In 2018 he had 32 TD's and 12 INT's with over 4300 yards passing at 68% completion.  

I just don't want to throw away 2020 with Brissett.  I want an improvement.  Rivers has thrown for 4200+ yards in each of the past 7 years.  He was very good with Reich.  He knows how to use a Hines type of RB out of the backfield.   Many times a change in scenery get a QB motivated.  I'm sure Hilton would be thrilled.

I'm good with the agree to disagree concept on this.     

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2020 at 1:49 PM, CR91 said:

I also don't see the point of moving his family to Florida and not play for the Bucs.

He moved closer to Jacksonville and New Orleans than he did to Tampa.

Plus a lot of people move to Florida even if they don't play for the Bucs... they have no state income tax. overall it's nice weather and plenty of room for his 22 children to run around.

Here's a situation that might happen... 

Rivers comes to the negotiations and asks you "so... I don't have much time left in the league and want to go to a team that is ready to compete and ready to do everything possible to win the SB in the next 2 years[aka I don't want you to waste high picks on QBs, when you can reinforce the team for our SB run]. How do you feel about this? " 

What say you, Colts nation? 

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Rivers comes to the negotiations and asks you "so... I don't have much time left in the league and want to go to a team that is ready to compete and ready to do everything possible to win the SB in the next 2 years[aka I don't want you to waste high picks on QBs, when you can reinforce the team for our SB run]. How do you feel about this? " 

Then I pass. I am not sacrificing the future for Rivers who admitted he might only play one more year. We can upgrade in FA. Plus there still should be a good IDL at 34 like Gallimore.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

He moved closer to Jacksonville and New Orleans than he did to Tampa.

Plus a lot of people move to Florida even if they don't play for the Bucs... they have no state income tax. overall it's nice weather and plenty of room for his 22 children to run around.

Didn't he also still commute from SD to LA? It's about the same distance

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

If this was like Peyton going to the broncos, fine, but it's not the same situation. Rivers imo is not enough to get us over the hump.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

According to this, Sirianni is recruiting Rivers to the Colts:

No idea how reliable those guys are. The one that said it, also said he's friends with Sirianni.  

More fuel to the fire.  All of the reasons make sense for most of us.  And we wouldn't have to trade a pick for a QB as well.  Our only investment would be money which we have plenty of.  I think we would probably trade JB for a pick and eliminate putting him in an uncomfortable situation.  We would be in win now mode for sure so I would expect more aggressive FA spending as well.  Hard to see them drafting a QB early with Rivers on board.  I would expect them to try and get some impact players who could contribute right away with picks 13 and 34.  OT if AC retires or DT or ER.   I'm starting to think this is going to happen.  

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Was river actually cut where he is free now?  

No.  I don't believe so. They could give him a head start by releasing him now but I have read nothing indicating they have.  After 16 years you would think they would do that for him.  I'm surprised the Chargers are handling him this way.  Not a good look for them.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

No.  I don't believe so. They could give him a head start by releasing him now but I have read nothing indicating they have.  After 16 years you would think they would do that for him.  I'm surprised the Chargers are handling him this way.  Not a good look for them.  

His contract ended at the end of this past season. This has nothing to do with LA, and due to league rules, he nor any other FA can do anything until the beginning of the new league year. 

7 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

His contract ended at the end of this past season. This has nothing to do with LA, and due to league rules, he nor any other FA can do anything until the beginning of the new league year. 

I believe a team can release a player any time it wants even if they are a pending FA.  This would give them an early advantage over other pending FAs.  If they don't release them then they have to wait for FA to start.  Teams have done this in the past.  Usually as a courtesy to a long tenured player who they no longer want to resign.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

If a team releases him before that March date he can sign with anyone.  For instance Greg Olson has already visited three teams because the panthers released him. He is free to sign with any team.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

If a team releases him before that March date he can sign with anyone.  For instance Greg Olson has already visited three teams because the panthers released him. He is free to sign with any team.

Greg Olsen was under contract with Carolina through next year before they decided to release him. Rivers has no contractual obligations with LA past the close of the league year, which ended after the Super Bowl. LA can’t release Rivers because he’s no longer under contract to them.

That’s the same scenario for every free agent. LA could negotiate with him if they choose up to free agency but every other team has to wait until the legal tampering period starts. Players that are released don’t have to wait until the legal tampering period and can negotiate and sign with a team of their choosing immediately. They also don’t count against the formula for determining draft pick comp picks.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I believe a team can release a player any time it wants even if they are a pending FA.  This would give them an early advantage over other pending FAs.  If they don't release them then they have to wait for FA to start.  Teams have done this in the past.  Usually as a courtesy to a long tenured player who they no longer want to resign.  

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

For the people in the back as well, LA has nothing left contractually with him. He is no longer apart of the organization, so there is no "releasing" him, he's already listed as a FA. Olsen is irrelevant because he was released while under contract. AGAIN, FA's can't be communicated with until the start of the new league year. 

Come on guys.. this stuff has been talked about endlessly on here and is easy to look up as well.

Albert Breer just said on the Colin Cowherd show that Rivers is definitely interested in the Colts for all of the reasons mentioned.  Breer said he does not know if the Colts are interested in him.  Of course there were reports that Siranni was trying to talk him into coming to the Colts but Breer just said he would like to join the Colts.  So we shall see.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Would everyone agree if we sign Rivers that increases the likelihood we are drafting a QB? Otherwise it really makes no sense.

NO .  it means we can get some real talent with the 1st 3 picks .  Even if we can combine them and trade up for Chase young.

Everyone is so absolute about needing a QB but forget we could trade up and get Chase or Kinlaw is we had to.   

If we cont get Tua . there is no QB worth of the 13 pick    ant other QB would be a developmental player.

16 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

@Chloe6124   I see your eye roll on that last post but  if you think that for a second that Chase Young is not the best player in the draft you're nuts     

Washington is not trading  down and giving up Chase Young. That would be very shocking.  Just because you don’t think Love or Herbert are worth it doesn’t mean that is what ballard thinks.