Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers officially out as a Charger

11 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I guess the Seahawks and Chargers did it all wrong

signing a vet doesn’t prevent drafting a QB but actually frees CB up

We already have guy on  the roster to develop if we waited until the later rounds.  QB is not that good this draft once you get by the first 5 or six.

All I am saying if they are in love with Jordan love or even Herbert they should still try and get them even if they still Sign Rivers. We are still in QB limbo if they don’t.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We already have guy on  the roster to develop if we waited until the later rounds.  QB is not that good this draft once you get by the first 5 or six.

All I am saying if they are in love with Jordan love or even Herbert they should still try and get them even if they still Sign Rivers. We are still in QB limbo if they don’t.

FA is before the draft

2nd Round is not late 

He likely moved his family to where they will live after he retires. Better to deal with a year or two of being away from the family for several months, then to have to uproot them again in a couple of years. And who knows, maybe he doesn't get an offer he likes from a team, and retires now. 

• Like 1

I am ready for the future. As long as we still try and get a QB we are sold on in the draft so be it. Like I said I just don’t want them to pass on a QB like Love if they are sold just because they got rivers. Ballard doesn’t have time to fool around with a QB or he will be fired.  If we draft Love still or even Eason that at least still gets me excited for the future even with a old washed up QB. I really don’t see ballard doing this.  This doesn’t fit his MO at all. 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

If Ballard makes a few key defensive acquisitions in free agency, I can definitely see that. It still does not mean we don't draft a QB to develop. It is just that Chad Kelly and Brian Hoyer can be bid goodbye with Brissett serving as a solid back up that moving forward, plays the Brian Hoyer role after enough years in the Reich offense. 

It will be a 2 year band aid at best, IMO, but it does come with the down side of Rivers' play going south further if last year was an indication of serious decline and lack of development of a new QB that we draft in year 1 with Brissett still around. Too many cooks in the kitchen, there are only so many reps to go around. I am not sure how much Rivers or Brissett would want to help the new QB, like Alex Smith helped Mahomes.

I don't really know if he even looked like he declined. He's had both better and worse seasons. He also had one of the worst o-lines in the league last year had a better completion percentage average than Brissett.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

I don't really know if he even looked like he declined. He's had both better and worse seasons. He also had one of the worst o-lines in the league last year had a better completion percentage average than Brissett.

I mainly said that so that we could have a team friendly deal with a team option for Year 2 or an incentivized deal for Year 2. It would be good to safeguard ourselves that way. In the past, you could get a compensatory pick on a guy you declined a team option on but not anymore. This would be purely to just safeguard the Colts.

The NFL closed the loop hole on a declined team option player possibly giving a team compensatory picks, the Patriots constantly gave contracts with team options at the tag end of the contract so that they get the compensatory picks consistently, starting with Revis. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Myles said:

A "shot" arm throwing for 4600+ yards on 66% completion  behind the 5th worst pass blocking O-line is much better than Brissett throwing for 2900+ yards on 60% completion behind the 2nd best pass blocking O-line.

Quoting myself to remind people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I doubt anyone trades for Jacoby with his salary in 2020. Colts could probably absorb it and keep him as backup.

The first team I would call is the Steelers.  Ben is coming back but they are not happy with their current backup.  If they think they are contenders he would be a nice insurance policy.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Not sure why Ballard handed him that much money anyway. Looks like wasted money and cap space now

It was the right thing to do. He still on the low end of starter money. You can’t have Hoyer making more. It gave both him and the colts a chance to see what he could do. If he was the answer what a easy transition. No one knew what he could do with Reich. Your not being honest if you think you knew. I still don’t think he was as bad as what he showed. It was just a weird season to start and a lot of strange things happened. His contract did not harm the team in any way.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rivers is still hungry too because he hasn't won a ring. He has something to play for. He may have still have 1 or 2 good years left.

Your post made me think.   If you think about the other QB's drafted around that time, they've won rings.   Even Drew Brees, drafted a few years earlier to the Chargers, left SD and now has a ring.  Eli, Ben, Brady (drafted in 2000) all have them.  SD came close but didn't get there. 

I remember Rivers used to be very competitive...mouthing back to fans, getting into the game when they were winning (sometimes throwing fits when they weren't).  He's still a good QB, not as good as he used to be, but still good. I think our O-line would be very beneficial.  A couple of WR's in the draft or FA and with a healthy Marlon Mack, Hines, Williams, and Wilkins, our offense would improve significantly.

We may still be able to draft a QB in Rd. 1 (to develop) or in Rd. 2 (if one was available and he was one we wanted).

After thinking about it, I wouldn't hate the idea of signing him if he wanted to come here.  However, I probably wouldn't have said this if there was a window of time between Luck and Manning. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The first team I would call is the Steelers.  Ben is coming back but they are not happy with their current backup.  If they think they are contenders he would be a nice insurance policy.  

I could see that. They still could look for a QB in round 2. It’s more the money for me. Which team will pay that. Would be funny if he ended up with Cain again.

13 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

Your post made me think.   If you think about the other QB's drafted around that time, they've won rings.   Even Drew Brees, drafted a few years earlier to the Chargers, left SD and now has a ring.  Eli, Ben, Brady (drafted in 2000) all have them.  SD came close but didn't get there. 

I remember Rivers used to be very competitive...mouthing back to fans, getting into the game when they were winning (sometimes throwing fits when they weren't).  He's still a good QB, not as good as he used to be, but still good. I think our O-line would be very beneficial.  A couple of WR's in the draft or FA and with a healthy Marlon Mack, Hines, Williams, and Wilkins, our offense would improve significantly.

We may still be able to draft a QB in Rd. 1 (to develop) or in Rd. 2 (if one was available and he was one we wanted).

After thinking about it, I wouldn't hate the idea of signing him if he wanted to come here.  However, I probably wouldn't have said this if there was a window of time between Luck and Manning. 

Yeah almost all players play the game for 2 reasons. #1 is for the money so they can give their families a dream life and have no worries financially. #2 is winning a SB/love for the game. Rivers hasn't done the latter and he is competitive and fiery. Many think he is better than Eli but Eli won 2 SB's. Myself personally, if I was at a players reunion with players and a player would say 2-0 that would even bother me. I played Highschool sports and hated losing. Jokingly Eli used to tell Peyton 2-1, glad Peyton got #2 haha .

Imo, There are only a handful or so QBs that are elite at reading defenses and processing. He’s one of them. A legit franchise QB. Nobody had to devise an offense to hide his deficiencies. He’s not that mobile and he has that weird throwing motion, but he can sit in our pocket and let it fly accurately and play within Reichs system.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Peter King put a single line blurb in his column this morning in the things he thinks section. He said he thinks Rivers and us make a sound marriage. 

Now, it’s not surprising that he is being let go, but at the time the article was written and published is was also not a given. 

Obviously King has all kinds of great reliable sources. Did King, who has always had a bit of a flare for Rivers, know this was coming? My guess is yes. He knew well before the rest of us. 

The fact that he mentioned us, and in such a low-key way makes me wonder what else he knows that we don’t. He didn’t expand on the thought, he just casually floated it as a one sentence bullet point and moved on, almost like he was leaving more to write about the idea down the road. 

I dunno. At first I didn’t buy it. But now I’m starting to think it may have some legs. 

I believe Dan Patrick said it as well on his radio show. I couldn't tell if he as being facetious or not...but he said he had a source tell him Rivers to Indy was going to happen when FA opened. Seems even more likely now...since Rivers is officially available now.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

This is something I had wonderd about...if they couild trade this. I already thought moving on from JB was the correct course...but hat if that roster bonus can be traded...then it's a no brainer. Of course it makes JB less attractive as a trade option for teams...but it's not like he was all that attractive to begin with. I think even at that rate...teams might throw a late round pick/swap to have a legit backup for a year. OR Ballard could throw in a late pick or pick swap.

It could allow the Colts to get a stud D-lineman at #13 and take a QB at #34.   

What would really excite me is the potential of using Hines.   I think Hines is better than Ekeler.  Brissett just doesn't have the skill set to use him correctly.  When Brissett throws to Hines out of the backfield, it is usually a dump off.   When Rivers uses Ekeler it is, many times, while Ekeler is still moving.   

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I doubt anyone trades for Jacoby with his salary in 2020. Colts could probably absorb it and keep him as backup.

There is way too much JB love for him to get cut this year

The money is guaranteed

I just can’t get too excited by bringing in an additional QB that isn’t the long term answer. Rivers is a band aide at best.

We aren’t going to the SB next year...... I just don’t see Rivers as that missing piece.

I would be very happy letting JB, CK, and a rookie QB compete for the starting role. IMHO...... I don’t really care what specific round......

Just don’t give the farm away...... but we need a young QB to develop

Let the chips fall where they may

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I just don’t want to settle for one in a later round if we’ve got him. I still want to get one in the first if they are sold.

If you draft Rivers you still draft a QB at 13. No team would be foolish enough to sign Rivers and not have a rookie to sit for 1-2 years behind him. There still needs to be a succession plan in place.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I believe Dan Patrick said it as well on his radio show. I couldn't tell if he as being facetious or not...but he said he had a source tell him Rivers to Indy was going to happen when FA opened. Seems even more likely now...since Rivers is officially available now.

He’s not available yet. They’ve just announced that they won’t be re-signing him, so he will go through the free agency process. At least in theory. We can’t sign him until mid-March when the new league year begins. 

6 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

He’s not available yet. They’ve just announced that they won’t be re-signing him, so he will go through the free agency process. At least in theory. We can’t sign him until mid-March when the new league year begins. 

I believe they can't sign him now but they can start talking and negotiating now through the back channels if necessary.  Come to terms and have him ready to sign day 1 of FA.  The Chargers won't file a complaint.  If the Chargers want to be real nice they could release him now and he could sign with someone before FA.  Considering his long tenure with the Chargers I can see them doing it as a courtesy to him.  

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

There is way too much JB love for him to get cut this year

The money is guaranteed

I just can’t get too excited by bringing in an additional QB that isn’t the long term answer. Rivers is a band aide at best.

We aren’t going to the SB next year...... I just don’t see Rivers as that missing piece.

I would be very happy letting JB, CK, and a rookie QB compete for the starting role. IMHO...... I don’t really care what specific round......

Just don’t give the farm away...... but we need a young QB to develop

Let the chips fall where they may

I'm confused on this post.  

You say - "Rivers is a band aide at best." but also say - "but we need a young QB to develop"

If you need to develop a young QB, don't you need a bridge QB as a "band aid"?

It sounds like you are happy with throwing 2020 away and not trying to improve and try to compete in the playoffs.  I'm not.  I want improvement at the QB position.  

• Like 1