Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers officially out as a Charger

Rivers connection to Reach and Siranni are hard to get past.  They are definitely there.  He is purely a pocket passer but with our OL line it could work out quite well for him.  This would allow Ballard to get a stud player at 13 or move back a little like he usually does.  I think other FA's would like the idea of signing with the Colts if Rivers was there versus JB or a rookie starter. They could draft a QB later and let that pick fight it out with Kelly.  I can see this happening. 

• Like 3

Peter King put a single line blurb in his column this morning in the things he thinks section. He said he thinks Rivers and us make a sound marriage. 

Now, it’s not surprising that he is being let go, but at the time the article was written and published is was also not a given. 

Obviously King has all kinds of great reliable sources. Did King, who has always had a bit of a flare for Rivers, know this was coming? My guess is yes. He knew well before the rest of us. 

The fact that he mentioned us, and in such a low-key way makes me wonder what else he knows that we don’t. He didn’t expand on the thought, he just casually floated it as a one sentence bullet point and moved on, almost like he was leaving more to write about the idea down the road. 

I dunno. At first I didn’t buy it. But now I’m starting to think it may have some legs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Rivers connection to Reach and Siranni are hard to get past.  They are definitely there.  He is purely a pocket passer but with our OL line it could work out quite well for him.  This would allow Ballard to get a stud player at 13 or move back a little like he usually does.  I think other FA's would like the idea of signing with the Colts if Rivers was there versus JB or a rookie starter. They could draft a QB later and let that pick fight it out with Kelly.  I can see this happening. 

Agreed. I really do think we make since. Brissett isn't a starter and we don't look to be able to draft a QB who can start right away. So it'd be nice to get a veteran and still draft someone. With our o-line Rivers could have a couple more good to decent year in him while we develop someone. I just don't see any QB outside of the top 3 in the draft that could start right away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't see an upgrade. If anything, it's a stopgap to try to find another QB, but what's the point when Rivers doesn't make us contenders? You can argue the chargers weapons are better then ours and they still only won what 5 games?

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Jeremiah and Breer hit the nail on the head.  We are ready to win with a good OL.  Sort of like Peyton to the Broncos.  

If Ballard makes a few key defensive acquisitions in free agency, I can definitely see that. It still does not mean we don't draft a QB to develop. It is just that Chad Kelly and Brian Hoyer can be bid goodbye with Brissett serving as a solid back up that moving forward, plays the Brian Hoyer role after enough years in the Reich offense. 

It will be a 2 year band aid at best, IMO, but it does come with the down side of Rivers' play going south further if last year was an indication of serious decline and lack of development of a new QB that we draft in year 1 with Brissett still around. Too many cooks in the kitchen, there are only so many reps to go around. I am not sure how much Rivers or Brissett would want to help the new QB, like Alex Smith helped Mahomes.

26 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't see an upgrade. If anything, it's a stopgap to try to find another QB, but what's the point when Rivers doesn't make us contenders? You can argue the chargers weapons are better then ours and they still only won what 5 games?

They would clearly still have to draft a QB unless they are sold on Kelly developing and being that guy.  Tampa would be giving  up on Winston if they went after him which would mean they clearly would be looking to draft a QB. I really don’t want Rivers unless there is a guy we draft and the future waiting. It does nothing to excite me.

Just now, chad72 said:

If Ballard makes a few key defensive acquisitions in free agency, I can definitely see that. It still does not mean we don't draft a QB to develop. It is just that Chad Kelly and Brian Hoyer can be bid goodbye with Brissett serving as a solid back up that moving forward, plays the Brian Hoyer role after enough years in the Reich offense. 

It will be a 2 year band aid at best, IMO, but it does come with the down side of Rivers' play going south further if last year was an indication of serious decline and lack of development of a new QB that we draft. Too many cooks in the kitchen, there are only so many reps to go around.

Maybe Kelly is a the developmental guy. We really don’t know what they are thinking.

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Jeremiah and Breer hit the nail on the head.  We are ready to win with a good OL.  Sort of like Peyton to the Broncos.  

That’s the thing folks are missing. I get that mostly EVERYONE wants to draft a new QB (which we need to do) , but our roster is currently built to win NOW. No rookie QB where we are picking will yield instant success. We are not rebuilding. We are retooling.  

Get Rivers in here, draft a QB to help groom for the future as he finishes his career, increase our chances of winning next year instead of throwing the year away. Makes sense to me 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

They would clearly still have to draft a QB unless they are sold on Kelly developing and being that guy.  Tampa would be giving  up on Winston if they went after him which would mean they clearly would be looking to draft a QB. I really don’t want Rivers unless there is a guy we draft and the future waiting. It does nothing to excite me.

The Bucs while interesting doesn’t make any sense to me. Bruce runs an offense that would get rivers killed as he isn’t mobile QB.  Lateral move at best is putting it lightly. 

3 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

That’s the thing folks are missing. I get that mostly EVERYONE wants to draft a new QB (which we need to do) , but our roster is currently built to win NOW. No rookie QB where we are picking will yield instant success. We are not rebuilding. We are retooling.  

Get Rivers in here, draft a QB to help groom for the future as he finishes his career, increase our chances of winning next year instead of throwing the year away. Makes sense to me 

Sounds good to me

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adubb84 said:

Getting Rivers changes nothing in regards to our need to look for our QB of the future. It just gives us better bridge QB to ease the transition and give us better chance to win right now. I personally would take Rivers AND draft a QB high(or angle for a QB in next years draft). 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Getting Rivers changes nothing in regards to our need to look for our QB of the future. It just gives us better bridge QB to ease the transition and give us better chance to win right now. I personally would take Rivers AND draft a QB high(or angle for a QB in next years draft). 

Sounds we like we aligned sir. Getting rivers helps us win NOW and makes for a better bridge to the rookie QB. JB and a rookie QB on the bench honestly scares me. 

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Signing Rivers makes since because it doesn’t make the 1st round pick a QB must

Preach 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I also don't see the point of moving his family to Florida and not play for the Bucs.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

We still should sign a first round QB if we are sold on one. We already have a developmental guy in Kelly so no reason to get another in a later round. Rivers was bad last year. What makes  anyone think he will win here. Reich was fired as his OC.

All good points. My only challenge is it’s much bigger than just winning here. It’s a better transition for a rookie QB. I don’t think JB provides that. 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

BTW Rivers has been on record as not wanting to mentor a young QB.

Didn’t know that :(

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We still should sign a first round QB if we are sold on one. We already have a developmental guy in Kelly so no reason to get another in a later round. Rivers was bad last year. What makes  anyone think he will win here. Reich was fired as his OC.

Until CK actually earns the right to dress for a real game he is a non factor

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is why this does not make sense.

What part of that makes sense? 

-citing QB rating as evidence for player quality? Rivers is still much better player than Brissett

-older and statuesque... sure... but you know what was his biggest problem last year? The horrible OLine. What do we have? One of the better Olines in the league. IMO Rivers will benefit tremendously by having protection like our OLine can provide.

-if you are about long-term success, you draft a QB and Rivers or Brissett starting next year doesn't matter in the big picture. Getting Rivers is for the short-term success, not the long-term success. Drafting a QB will be about the long-term success. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

The thing is that last year with the Chargers O-line, Rivers had the 5th least amount of time to pass.   The Colts had the 2nd most.   I've never been a big Rivers fan (I don't think he should be in the HOF), but he is an improvement over Brissett.   When Reich was in SD< Rivers had his best years.  

I have been saying I want to get a vet upgrade AND a top QB prospect...change up the QB room. 

And Rivers on a "reasonable" two-year deal grooming one of the top QB prospects...is probably the most realistic best case scenario for this offseason.

Not only does he have the Reich/Sirianni connection...but he is also only one year removed from a legit Pro Bowl season...helping lead a top 3 offense (according to DVOA) and a 12-4 record.

He did look bad at times last year...but I am more than willing to roll the dice...especially with this OL in place.

And I would love to see him get Henry here as well...IF LAC doesn't franchise him.

• Like 7