Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
coming on strong

nfl should change its rules to go globally .

Recommended Posts

the game is to slow for a global game .   people are used to seeing soccer and basketball games , so when they watch football they get bored .    with a 45 second game clock you get a 8 second play then wait 45 seconds for another play .  that is about 5 mins of gameplay in a 3 hour game with tons of breaks in between .

 

the nfl should take note from the xfl and cfl. change the game clock to 15 seconds so every play is no huddle with non stop action .  no running the clock out ,even with 3 minutes left you can have a dramatic comeback down 3 scores . Then the players will have to be in shape and linemen will get smaller and more athletic .  look how europe changed the nba  now there are no more heavy big men like shaq and all the big men are fit can shoot 3's and spread the floor.

 

this would make mobile QB's not be able to run the the left and by pass the pressure with huge space .  the defensive linemen would be fast .  Also i would take the xfl kickoff and the extra point 3 point play .  Xfl rules are better let multiple wrs go in motion and the double forward pass is a nice touch as long as the first pass does not cross the line of scrimmage .

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 2:37 PM, coming on strong said:

the game is to slow for a global game .   people are used to seeing soccer and basketball games , so when they watch football they get bored .    with a 45 second game clock you get a 8 second play then wait 45 seconds for another play .  that is about 5 mins of gameplay in a 3 hour game with tons of breaks in between .

 

the nfl should take note from the xfl and cfl. change the game clock to 15 seconds so every play is no huddle with non stop action .  no running the clock out ,even with 3 minutes left you can have a dramatic comeback down 3 scores . Then the players will have to be in shape and linemen will get smaller and more athletic .  look how europe changed the nba  now there are no more heavy big men like shaq and all the big men are fit can shoot 3's and spread the floor.

 

this would make mobile QB's not be able to run the the left and by pass the pressure with huge space .  the defensive linemen would be fast .  Also i would take the xfl kickoff and the extra point 3 point play .  Xfl rules are better let multiple wrs go in motion and the double forward pass is a nice touch as long as the first pass does not cross the line of scrimmage .

pretty sure the XFL and CFL are not bigger than the NFL so I can't see what benefit doing what an inferior competitor is doing 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol

 

 

Oh, and just because ESPN pushes soccer down everyone's throats doesn't mean it's fun to watch. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Lol

 

Oh, and just because ESPN pushes soccer down everyone's throats doesn't mean it's fun to watch. 

 

I am sure Europeans feel the same about American football, LOL. :) 

 

Same thing happened with cricket that I grew up around before coming to the US. So cricket evolved. Cricket was played in 5 day formats (don't get me started there) and 1 day formats. The 1 day format is where each team plays for a 3 and a half hours with a half hour break, there is still a World Cup played for it once every 4 years. The first team sets a target and the second team chases down the target. The thing about cricket, unlike baseball, is that once you strike the ball, every time you run between bases (only 2 bases), you get a run, and once you are out, you don't get a second bat, and you do have the option of staying at your base after making contact with the ball to allow you to pace yourself.

 

So, the scoring part was there in cricket, but the spectator time involvement was fizzling. So, they came up with a 3 and a half hour format, with the concepts still the same but each team gets 20 overs (6 deliveries/pitches in an over, 120 legal pitches to hit against), and one team sets the target and the other team chases.  They call it 20/20 cricket. That has taken off across the world and in the US recently too because it doesn't take that much time.

 

Baseball, unless you grew up around it, and watched it all the time, is boring compared to 20/20 cricket for me. It sure is fun watching a team score 150-200 runs and another team chase it, LOL. :) 

 

At least American football, Basketball and cricket, points and runs are scored a little more than in soccer and baseball, that makes those sports more exciting to me than soccer and baseball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 2:37 PM, coming on strong said:

the game is to slow for a global game .   people are used to seeing soccer and basketball games , so when they watch football they get bored .    with a 45 second game clock you get a 8 second play then wait 45 seconds for another play .  that is about 5 mins of gameplay in a 3 hour game with tons of breaks in between .

 

the nfl should take note from the xfl and cfl. change the game clock to 15 seconds so every play is no huddle with non stop action .  no running the clock out ,even with 3 minutes left you can have a dramatic comeback down 3 scores . Then the players will have to be in shape and linemen will get smaller and more athletic .  look how europe changed the nba  now there are no more heavy big men like shaq and all the big men are fit can shoot 3's and spread the floor.

 

this would make mobile QB's not be able to run the the left and by pass the pressure with huge space .  the defensive linemen would be fast .  Also i would take the xfl kickoff and the extra point 3 point play .  Xfl rules are better let multiple wrs go in motion and the double forward pass is a nice touch as long as the first pass does not cross the line of scrimmage .

If they don't get bored watching soccer they won't get bored watching the NFL.   

I don't even think the NFL should try going global.   

The league generated $13 billion and has 29 of the top 50 most valuable sports franchises in the world.  Why would they change things?   They have 19 of the top 20 broadcasts of all time (Final M*A*S*H is 9th.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all soccer is soccer, football is football.  

 

The MLS made the mistake when it first started of trying to Americanize the sport.  Later on they changed the rules to match the rules that everyone else plays with.

 

So football should not change itself to reach a global audience, that is a mistake.

 

Secondly the NFL is going global.  That's why they are having all those games in the UK.  There are a lot of NFL fans in the UK, I think I saw the stat of 13 million fans - 4 million of those fans are considered "avid fans".  

 

That is impressive when you consider that the Sunday morning games start at 5 pm there, the afternoon games start at 9 pm there and and the night games start at like 3 am there.

 

That is not to mention that the NFL has fan in Canada and Mexico as well.  

 

NFL doesn't need to change it's rules in order to go global.  I would argue that maybe some rule changes are in order just to make the games more entertaining, but not in order to make the game "global".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Lol

 

 

Oh, and just because ESPN pushes soccer down everyone's throats doesn't mean it's fun to watch. 

 

I enjoy watching soccer.  

 

Something I don't understand about the soccer haters out there is that they can't seem to admit that soccer does actually have a following here.  Like a for profit company like ESPN or Fox Sports isn't going to waste it's airtime on a sport that no one watches.  There is no vested interest in forcing a sport down people's throats, there is a vested interested in broadcasting games that get people that watch them.

 

I don't care if you don't like soccer, it's a taste thing.  I don't like watching baseball, but I know there are plenty of people in this country that do.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

I enjoy watching soccer.  

 

Something I don't understand about the soccer haters out there is that they can't seem to admit that soccer does actually have a following here.  Like a for profit company like ESPN or Fox Sports isn't going to waste it's airtime on a sport that no one watches.  There is no vested interest in forcing a sport down people's throats, there is a vested interested in broadcasting games that get people that watch them.

 

I don't care if you don't like soccer, it's a taste thing.  I don't like watching baseball, but I know there are plenty of people in this country that do.   

 

I don't hate soccer. I played it for 10 years. It's just incredibly boring to watch. Just like Golf. I'll play it, but I'm not wasting time watching somebody else playing it.

 

Kind of like how kids nowadays like watching videos of other people playing video games.....why not just do it yourself? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Football is a game of chess not checkers. There is so much more strategy that goes into a game of football then literally any other major sport, you can't rush that just to appease people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

 

I don't hate soccer. I played it for 10 years. It's just incredibly boring to watch. Just like Golf. I'll play it, but I'm not wasting time watching somebody else playing it.

 

Kind of like how kids nowadays like watching videos of other people playing video games.....why not just do it yourself? 

 

Ahh my apologies.

 

I do enjoy watching soccer though.  I can see what you mean about golf.  

 

Only reason I would watch videos of other people playing video games is to find out how to win.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2020 at 2:48 PM, WifiGuy said:

pretty sure the XFL and CFL are not bigger than the NFL so I can't see what benefit doing what an inferior competitor is doing 

thats not the point .   i want the nfl to go global to go global they need to speed the game up the is the biggest knock i hear from people in other countries who like football but get bored seeing 3 plays in 2 minutes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Lol

 

 

Oh, and just because ESPN pushes soccer down everyone's throats doesn't mean it's fun to watch. 

soccer is the biggest sport in the world every country loves it but america.  i love the nfl would love to see it be popular world wide like basketball and see it in the olympics .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Myles said:

If they don't get bored watching soccer they won't get bored watching the NFL.   

I don't even think the NFL should try going global.   

The league generated $13 billion and has 29 of the top 50 most valuable sports franchises in the world.  Why would they change things?   They have 19 of the top 20 broadcasts of all time (Final M*A*S*H is 9th.

they do though look it up in soccer the game goes on non stop they do not play for 8 seconds then reset after almost a minute. just by changing the game the speed of the game goes up.  the game gets better because you can't run out the clock and we can have great comebacks when teams are down multiple scores with two minutes .   instead in the 4th when the game is out of reach it gets boring watching teams run the clock out , take that away its a better game.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, twfish said:

Football is a game of chess not checkers. There is so much more strategy that goes into a game of football then literally any other major sport, you can't rush that just to appease people.

the cfl does it .   just shortening the game clock makes the game faster paced , its the same thing when teams run the two minute offense in no huddle .  the who game would look like a two minute drill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, coming on strong said:

the cfl does it .   just shortening the game clock makes the game faster paced , its the same thing when teams run the two minute offense in no huddle .  the who game would look like a two minute drill.

Take one CFL team and pit them against a NFL team and watch how an NFL team would completely disassemble the other. There is a reason why probably 80% of NFL starters would be superstars in the CFL and maybe 10% of the CFL would even be able to stay on a roster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2020 at 6:03 PM, twfish said:

Take one CFL team and pit them against a NFL team and watch how an NFL team would completely disassemble the other. There is a reason why probably 80% of NFL starters would be superstars in the CFL and maybe 10% of the CFL would even be able to stay on a roster

 

Not really a valid comparison.  The NFL by far attracts the top athletes and the left overs go to Canada.  

 

But if you shortened the play clock it would force guys to have a higher level of fitness (maybe not as big and fat as some are today).  If might make the game better.

 

On 2/10/2020 at 8:57 AM, twfish said:

Football is a game of chess not checkers. There is so much more strategy that goes into a game of football then literally any other major sport, you can't rush that just to appease people.

 

Chess can be played very fast by people who are good at it.  Strategy is no excuse for being slow.  It is the same in war.  If you are good and fast you will be better than if you are good and slow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gspdx said:

 

Not really a valid comparison.  The NFL by far attracts the top athletes and the left overs go to Canada.  

 

But if you shortened the play clock it would force guys to have a higher level of fitness (maybe not as big and fat as some are today).  If might make the game better.

 

 

Chess can be played very fast by people who are good at it.  Strategy is no excuse for being slow.  It is the same in war.  If you are good and fast you will be better than if you are good and slow. 

But the NFL is the top sport the way it is.  Most fans do not want shorter games.  Fans like it how it is.   No change needed.   A slow NFL game is already more entertaining than a soccer game.   I like, played and watch soccer too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gspdx said:

 

Not really a valid comparison.  The NFL by far attracts the top athletes and the left overs go to Canada.  

 

But if you shortened the play clock it would force guys to have a higher level of fitness (maybe not as big and fat as some are today).  If might make the game better.

 

 

Chess can be played very fast by people who are good at it.  Strategy is no excuse for being slow.  It is the same in war.  If you are good and fast you will be better than if you are good and slow. 

 

They could shorten the play clock a little, but a radical change down to 15 seconds is too much IMO.

 

Also NFL players are not fat.  They might be big but that's all muscle.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Myles said:

But the NFL is the top sport the way it is.  Most fans do not want shorter games.  Fans like it how it is.   No change needed.   A slow NFL game is already more entertaining than a soccer game.   I like, played and watch soccer too.  

 

I would love a shorter game.  Too long with too much down time.  But that is my opinion.  I have heard from others that do feel games are too long.  It certainly isn't the majority.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Also NFL players are not fat.  They might be big but that's all muscle.  

Come on, man!

PJ-BK010_FATJER_P_20121003001607.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2020 at 2:48 PM, WifiGuy said:

pretty sure the XFL and CFL are not bigger than the NFL so I can't see what benefit doing what an inferior competitor is doing 

 

Hmm, I wonder if Blockbuster video ever said the same thing about streaming services when Netflix was an inferior competitor? 

 

This is basically the same as the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" argument.  No matter how successful a company is, they should ALWAYS be looking for ways to improve, even by monitoring what competitors are doing and adjust accordingly.  If you're not looking to improve then you're destined to fail.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Myles said:

But the NFL is the top sport the way it is.  Most fans do not want shorter games.  Fans like it how it is.   No change needed.   A slow NFL game is already more entertaining than a soccer game.   I like, played and watch soccer too.  

 

Where are you getting this information? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J@son said:

 

Hmm, I wonder if Blockbuster video ever said the same thing about streaming services when Netflix was an inferior competitor? 

 

This is basically the same as the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" argument.  No matter how successful a company is, they should ALWAYS be looking for ways to improve, even by monitoring what competitors are doing and adjust accordingly.  If you're not looking to improve then you're destined to fail.

as a business owner I get that. That is a technology change.   With that comes advancement    But many NFL knock offs have come and gone.   If they gain ground then yea, take a look but for now worry about other stuff.

 

I do like that kick off dealeo though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, J@son said:

 

Where are you getting this information? 

Just from friends and coworkers.   They like to make an event out of each of their teams games.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Myles said:

Just from friends and coworkers.   They like to make an event out of each of their teams games.  

 

So maybe just speak for you and your friends instead of all NFL fans :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played cricket all my life came to US and love the football which at first was confusing that why it is called football when they use hands to pass the ball around except PUNT or KICK which is very small part of the game unless JB is ur QB then ur using feet a lot to punt. ok ok just kidding. However I would not like the game to be more fast paced as XFL or CFL love the way it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way the play clock can be shortened is letting the QBs call the play like it used to be. 

I doubt any head coach or coordinator wants that. 

They could shorten the game if they let the clock run after an incomplete pass? 

There is a lot of time used to give the advertisers their time so it's tough to trim the game due to making the money to run the NFL in that regards. 

As far as global, just the travel times would be a huge problem. Everything involved would be more expensive due to the travel cost. Most average people can't afford to go to games now. Just think a home team would lose part of their games to global games. I just don't see it working out for a whole season of schedules. The cities wouldn't want the expense of new stadiums for less games per year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...