Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

More Joe Burrow talk-Could he tell bengals he won’t sign with them

58 minutes ago, #12. said:

He's from southern Ohio.  He'll show up and play, I'm sure.

Cincinnati is actually a very good football town, if they have anything to cheer for.  If Burrow succeeds there, he'll be a hero.  

He will most likely sign there.  However, I'm not sure the fans being into it is what would concern a player enough to sway him at all when millions are on the line..... Incompetent management CAN lead to a shorter career, and worse statistics.... Costing a QB, more than most players, millions down the line, and as we know all too well, his health in the worst cases....

Nah this pick is happening. Burrow’s dad is a coach and knows the Bengals HC. Reports were that they talked around the time of the Senior Bowl.

And not to diminish the guy or anything but skill wise, he’s not in a position to pull that type of move. There’s still people in the league that think Tua is QB1. Burrow is a 1 year starter with an average arm and limited mobility who played with 1st round receivers and an OC that went to the NFL right after. Again not taking anything away from him because I’d jump for joy if he somehow fell to us, but he’s not John Elway skill wise and he doesn’t have the name value of Eli to refuse to play anywhere. 

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Burrow is a 1 year starter with an average arm and limited mobility who played with 1st round receivers and an OC that went to the NFL right after.

His arm is more than good enough, and I watched that guy outrun numerous LB's and corners. Orgeron's offense before Joe Brady was awful, so I'm not sure why you are knocking Burrow for exceeding with an NFL mind. As much as I liked watching Haskins at OSU, Burrow would have done just as well with Ryan Day, who also had time in the NFL.

I doubt Jefferson goes first round, and it's possible Ja'Marr could go first round next year, but I don't think there is another Joe Burrow on that roster, right now, to help him replicate what he did this past year. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Nah this pick is happening. Burrow’s dad is a coach and knows the Bengals HC. Reports were that they talked around the time of the Senior Bowl.

And not to diminish the guy or anything but skill wise, he’s not in a position to pull that type of move. There’s still people in the league that think Tua is QB1. Burrow is a 1 year starter with an average arm and limited mobility who played with 1st round receivers and an OC that went to the NFL right after. Again not taking anything away from him because I’d jump for joy if he somehow fell to us, but he’s not John Elway skill wise and he doesn’t have the name value of Eli to refuse to play anywhere. 

You’re right. He’s MORE accurate than Elway. He is mobile and lastly, Idk, but I think he might be a brainiac just by how he talks and how he processed the field in games. We will see.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Wow that tells us he is thinking about it. I bet his agent will be asking the bengals a lot of questions at the combine.  

I hope he goes else where. He will be wasted there, just ask Carson or Andy. I would give up our first 2nd and next years first and second. He single handily takes us to the playoffs plus with a little more added talent at WR he could ball out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, twfish said:

I hope he goes else where. He will be wasted there, just ask Carson or Andy. I would give up our first 2nd and next years first and second. He single handily takes us to the playoffs plus with a little more added talent at WR he could ball out.

I'm a partial Bengals fan, and sadly I agree with ya. Their choices over the last few years have been... maddening. I'm not sure Zac Taylor was the right decision at head coach for starters... 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Wow that tells us he is thinking about it. I bet his agent will be asking the bengals a lot of questions at the combine.  

Strange but I doubt he does this. . . and if he does it might be something that is kept under wraps.  

I've wondered why more highly ranked QB's don't do this but I did have the thought that it's entirely possible they did, they just didn't make it public, they told the teams directly and the teams selected someone else.  

So I may have to change my original thought. Two very interesting pieces of info have come out since my original take

1. The agent he hired is the same agent Eli had when he infamously turned down the Giants.

2. Matt Miller pointed out that it’s strange that he hasn’t simply come out and said “Hey I’ll be happy wherever I go and just thankful to whoever drafts me”. All his interviews have these veiled statements

I don't think his comments at all mean he's going to pull an Eli.  He was talking about his leverage in the context of the pre-draft process.  Don't fall for the narrative people.  Being happy with "what ever team drafts him" means just that.  That is the opposite of Eli, who was UNHAPPY with the team that drafted him (again, any AFC team that drafted him would have led to the same result).  Eli was one of the most unusual situations in draft history.  About as unusual as the Colts and Elway.  

It's stupid to me that what is driving this narrative is the simple fact that (a) the bengals suck from owner to practice squad and (b) the fact that Burrow hasn't verbatim said, "I'd play for the bengals."  Of course it crosses no one's mind that maybe, just maybe the kid smart enough to know that trades occur on draft day and humble enough to know that the bengals might pass on him.  No, that just doesn't sell as a story...

This whole thing is just so stupid.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2020 at 1:34 PM, Chloe6124 said:

If he does this there will be a frenzy of teams trying to trade up to that number one spot. Bengals wouldn’t want to drop to far so they could still get a QB.  I always thought it would probably be smart to trade that pick and move down a few spots. Get some more draft picks and still get a QB.

Getting all Dolphins first round picks would be a start for the Bengals, I guess. Like I quoted above, his family has said he is not pulling an Eli. He will sign and play for the Bengals if he is drafted by them, no doubt in my mind. 

I don't understand people telling him to not play for that franchise.  The very reason why the Bengals are picking at #1 is because they're bad and the very reason why the draft is set up the way it is, is so the worst teams get the top picks is to help restore that balance.  If every #1 pick "pulled an Eli", the balance of power will never change.

When Peyton went to the Colts, they were horrible (coming off a 3-13 season).  Eventually, they become one of the league's more successful franchises, won a Super Bowl, and had multiple playoff appearances.

In 2001, the Falcons were coming off of a 4-12 season and the Chargers off of a 1-15 season.  The teams drafted Mike Vick and LT, both of whom had very good careers and both teams were much better as the years went on, including division titles for both.

In 2005, the Saints were 3-13.  They drafted Reggie Bush, made some other moves, and they eventually won a Super Bowl.

I could keep going and provide many more examples, but I think my point is made.  It makes no sense for a prospect to say he doesn't want to play for a bad franchise when the system is literally set up for the bad franchises to acquire more talent in an attempt to stop being bad.  If you're a top prospect (which every player wants to be), you're almost sure to go to a bad team.  That's simply how it works.  This nonsense of "pulling an Eli" is very entitled and immature.

9 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I don't think his comments at all mean he's going to pull an Eli.  He was talking about his leverage in the context of the pre-draft process.  Don't fall for the narrative people.  Being happy with "what ever team drafts him" means just that.  That is the opposite of Eli, who was UNHAPPY with the team that drafted him (again, any AFC team that drafted him would have led to the same result).  Eli was one of the most unusual situations in draft history.  About as unusual as the Colts and Elway.  

It's stupid to me that what is driving this narrative is the simple fact that (a) the bengals suck from owner to practice squad and (b) the fact that Burrow hasn't verbatim said, "I'd play for the bengals."  Of course it crosses no one's mind that maybe, just maybe the kid smart enough to know that trades occur on draft day and humble enough to know that the bengals might pass on him.  No, that just doesn't sell as a story...

Where there is smoke there is fire though. If this happened every year then there’d be something to what you’re saying. This talk didn’t happen with Kyler Murray, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, Matthew Stafford, Jared Goff, Baker Mayfield, etc...

I know the popular narrative is that this time of year things are quiet so people start just making stuff up for clickbait and retweets, but that’s not always the case. Everyone trashed the reporter that said he thought McDaniels was going to reject the Colts at the last second and look how that turned out. 

And not for nothing, Cincinnati is a horrible organization from top to bottom. Their almost as bad as the Redskins have been under Snyder. 

13 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Where there is smoke there is fire though. If this happened every year then there’d be something to what you’re saying. This talk didn’t happen with Kyler Murray, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, Matthew Stafford, Jared Goff, Baker Mayfield, etc...

I know the popular narrative is that this time of year things are quiet so people start just making stuff up for clickbait and retweets, but that’s not always the case. Everyone trashed the reporter that said he thought McDaniels was going to reject the Colts at the last second and look how that turned out. 

And not for nothing, Cincinnati is a horrible organization from top to bottom. Their almost as bad as the Redskins have been under Snyder. 

I guess we will just have to wait and see.  To me, there's nothing to gain.  Eli had something to gain.  It wasn't monetary, but it was family.  Burrow loses out on money and doesn't get the chance at a futre contract with a different team.  What does he gain by holding out?  

He's got to have some sort of leverage, but I don't see any.  The Bengals could pass on him, but if they're as bad an organization as we think they are, we also know they could draft him and at least keep him from playing for another team.  Then he'd never play a down and sit out as forever because neither he or the Bengals are going to budge. Never play a down because you want to play for an organization other than the Bengals?

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 10:26 AM, OffensivelyPC said:

Glad we can put this to rest. https://apnews.com/f155fa8e0541d32016cc1f703537d38e

It's a curse being right all the time. :sarcasm:

• Like 1