Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OhioColt's 7 Round Mock Draft

Any other year would all be for taking DT Kinlaw or looking to draft a high value DL.  With Costanzo future retirement talks meaning we must secure one of the better OT (Wirfs, Jones, Jackson) in Round 1.  Of the three above mentioned OT listed I am hoping we can get Wirfs for multiple reasonings.  Seems our RG position is influx and by getting Wirfs he can play immediately as a RT and see Smith kicking back inside to his original position to RG (compete with Ruiz as starter) with Costanzo on the team.  Either way we add much needed OL depth going forward.  Since this draft scenario does not target a high value DL we should seriously throw some $$$$ at LDT Chris Jones.  Think of it as a KC reunion with him next to Houston.  By now folks should start seeing a pattern within the organization where we have good luck acquiring players from KC and Philly.

Ryan Kelly has played well and is considered a t10 player at his position.  Played most all games in his rookie year 2016 and this year 2019 but missed around 8 games back in 2017 and 4 games in 2018.  With our R2P2 am looking at adding depth with a person who can play both RG and C in OL Cesar Ruis (Michigan) in Round 2.  Keep in mind that Kelly will be a FA next year.  Either scenario if Kelly leaves in FA or gets injured again we have insurance of a capable center replacement in Ruis.  Prefer to resign Kelly in 2021 and let Ruis move to RG kick Smith back outside to RT while Wirfs learn from Costanzo this year and move to LT post-Costanzo.

Another glaring team weakness is our SS and the small school kid from Lenoir-Rhyne Kyle Dugger is making a name for himself.  Offseason wise the Colts have a lot of decisions to make regarding their roster, especially noticeable in areas of OGs and safeties, which is why this draft projection focuses heavily on OL and DBs. 

Anthony Walker played decent and even had a career day back in Week 16 but overall failed to impress vs his peers in the middle.  Logan Wilson from (Wyoming) is a MIKE who should be an upgrade over Walker that excelled in the passing game and can make some plays in the run game.  Keeping with team philosophy Wilson creates turnovers which is why he should be on our need list. 

R1 RT Tristan Wirfs (Iowa) - Played mostly RT at Iowa but scouts think he has tools for LT.  Day 1 RT starter that would be in an ideal situation to learn from one of the better LT in Costanzo...unless Club history keeps repeating itself with players deciding to retire late notice just before regular season league play begins.

R2P1 OL Cesar Ruiz (Michigan) - Possible late Round 1 capable of zone blocking scheme

R2P2 SS Kyle Dugger (Lenoir-Rhyne)

R3 ILB Logan Wilson (Wyoming) MIKE has proven hands for INTs, forcing fumbles and sacks each year

R4 CB Amik Roberston (Louisiana Tech) – A bit on the small side at 5’9” but is tops when it comes to PBUs and has shown excellent hands for INTs.  Credited with sacks and FFs past few seasons.  Another player here I like is OLG Logan Stenberg – Only allowed 1 pressure in 2019

R5 DL Larrell Murchison – Strong-side DE moving inside who played 2 years in college but with success sacks, FR and an INT.   May increase draft stock

R6P1 FS Alohi Gilman (ND) History of FF and hands for INTs

R6P2 (via KC) SS Jeremy Chinn (Southern Illinois) - History of FF in 2017 and 3-4 INTs each season. Solid tackler.

R7 DE Joe Gaziano (N Western) – Strong Side, sacks, FFs and defends passes.  Late December forecasting Rounds 6-7

Love it or hate it let me hear your feedback. 

• Like 2

Nice you took so much time and effort for your Mock. :thmup:

I understand your 1st pick. Makes some sense. Even more if AC retieres this year. But I would prefer a DT/DE and WR with our picks in round 2 and 3 as those positions are a real weakness imo. I don't like the double down at SS cause I think this is not a special weakness of our team. I like the 4th round pick and the added depth at FS. 

1 hour ago, ColtsGermany said:

Nice you took so much time and effort for your Mock. :thmup:

I understand your 1st pick. Makes some sense. Even more if AC retieres this year. But I would prefer a DT/DE and WR with our picks in round 2 and 3 as those positions are a real weakness imo. I don't like the double down at SS cause I think this is not a special weakness of our team. I like the 4th round pick and the added depth at FS. 

Assuming we get Jones in FA from KC and Turay remains healthy we should have a very good front with Houston / Jones / ? / Turay.  We definitely have major issues imo with our weak-side IDL.  Haven't seen too many weak-side DL in this draft class that jumped out to me with the exceptions of Madubuike (Texas A&M) but see him more of a base 3/4 weak-side DT.  The other best choices in Round 2 early that I would substitute over Ruiz would be weak-side DT Neville Gallimore.  We could also take a chance on weak-side DL Marlon Davidson (Auburn) who bulked up and moved inside during the Senior Bowl showing strong 1 on 1 reps.

Both Murchison and Gaziano will add depth to our strong-side.  With Houston being a FA next season Murchison should get some professional guidance and hopefully be able to play both roles on the strong-side.  Geathers is a FA along with most of our safeties is why I wouldn't be surprised if we did a DB overall.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Not a fan sorry. Where’s the WR help?

Yep.  Unless you can get an Amari Cooper or someone like that, then this is the missing hole.  I like the top of the draft as I truly believe the lines should be the foundation of the team.  

Right now, the Colts roster has an imbalance of talent between the oline and dline. 

Oline has an abundance of talent, while the dline has, frankly, none, IMO.  This mock draft does not help balance out the talent in the trenches, although I understand an AC retirement might drop the talent level on the oline fairly dramatically in one day.

Trying to say this in the nicest way possible but that is really just not good. You drafted 3 safeties and no WR or QB. Then you take a project DT late and another 1 in the 7th as if 7th round picks don’t get cut all the time. There isn’t anything about this to like.