Indianapolis Colts
Coltivated

Derrik brown and Chris jones

Let’s talk the fundamentals of a dynasty.

if we can pull these two into Indy. I can say confidently imo we would have the best offense/defense line combo in the league.

would remind me of brown and white defensive line for the eagles. Any opinions ?

Why would we draft brown and sign jones. If we get a stud DT in FA I doubt we draft one.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why would we draft brown and sign jones. If we get a stud DT in FA I doubt we draft one.

tom cruise what GIF

Considering Hunt will be gone, the Colts really only have Stewart and Autry under contract, and the Colts could do WAY BETTER than those 2. So I'm not sure how you don't think the Colts need at least 2 more guys for the interior, especially when Autry shouldn't be inside to begin with outside of obvious passing downs. 

Side note - I don't think Jones hits FA, nor does Brown make it to 13.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Brown at NT and Jones at 3T would be a heck of a reload for the D-line.

I’d be perfectly fine with it.... I just don’t think it will happen because I don’t believe KC will let Jones walk.... they’ll figure out the cap situation somehow. And Brown falling to #13 is unlikely as well.

IMO.... Kinlaw at #13 as a 3T and Gallimore as a 1T at # 34 would be great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

I like this, but I would like to use 34 on another position or for a trade up to say pick 22 to get Love if he falls there, then use 44 on Gallimore if he makes it and if not Ross Blacklock

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I like this, but I would like to use 34 on another position or for a trade up to say pick 22 to get Love if he falls there, then use 44 on Gallimore if he makes it and if not Ross Blacklock

A lot of ifs. 

Now that would be MY wet dream, but I HIGHLY doubt it happens.  I agree with what was said, I'm not sure Jones even becomes available (although not impossible, but there will be a major bidding war if he does) and I don't envision Brown falling to 13 at all unless something major happens to him, and then you wouldn't want him.  I could more easily see Kinlaw at 13 and then a guy like Vic Beasley or MAYBE Clowney or someone of that ilk.  I'm not sure Armstead is going to get out of SF either.  It's VERY tough to sign guys who are both young and productive because if they are so good their own teams will do everything they can to try and keep them, a la Jones, and then franchise them if they can't get a deal done.  You're usually going to get a guy that is flawed but may still be able to help.  And that's just the way it is.  Puts more of an emphasis on drafting well IMHO.

That would be a nasty combo of defensive linemen and they would probably help the EDGE defenders by requiring more attention and I'd be happy with such a draft ... BUT... there is really one thing that's common for dynasties - it's not their defensive linemen. It's the QB. If you hit on a franchise QB, you can have a 10-15 years run of contention. Elite DTs would be great but don't matter enough to be the foundation of a dynasty. 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

That would be a nasty combo of defensive linemen and they would probably help the EDGE defenders by requiring more attention and I'd be happy with such a draft ... BUT... there is really one thing that's common for dynasties - it's not their defensive linemen. It's the QB. If you hit on a franchise QB, you can have a 10-15 years run of contention. Elite DTs would be great but don't matter enough to be the foundation of a dynasty. 

The flip side of that is true as well, if you swing for a franchise QB and miss then you can have years of mediocrity.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The flip side of that is true as well, if you swing for a franchise QB and miss then you can have years of mediocrity.

If you don't have a franchise QB you are almost guaranteed mediocrity, no matter what else you do. Maybe you have a strong year here or there when everything else is clicking but there is just too much rotation on NFL rosters and such teams are not stable and quickly fall off and having the most important position as a constant and a great constant is one of the best ways to secure long-term success and long-term high floor + chances for high-ceiling whenever you enter a phase where you hit on most other things. The easiest way to ensure consistency on the high end is having a franchise QB. 

If you don't have a franchise QB, you should be looking for one. If you miss on a franchise QB, you should discard him ASAP and continue the search until you find your guy. 

There is no easy solution for teams that don't have a franchise QB and there is no guarantee that you will get yours quickly. But it doesn't really matter - you have to try and keep trying because the alternative is worse. 

(edit: Disclaimer, because I know I will be misunderstood/misinterpreted - I do not mean draft QBs just for the sake of drafting QB. Draft him only if you really like him and you think he can be a franchise QB. If not, build up the roster for the time you like a QB and you acquire him, or try to accumulate future assets that might help you get a QB you like in the future)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, stitches said:

If you don't have a franchise QB you are almost guaranteed mediocrity, no matter what else you do. Maybe you have a strong year here or there when everything else is clicking but there is just too much rotation on NFL rosters and such teams are not stable and quickly fall off and having the most important position as a constant and a great constant is one of the best ways to secure long-term success and long-term high floor + chances for high-ceiling whenever you enter a phase where you hit on most other things. The easiest way to ensure consistency on the high end is having a franchise QB. 

If you don't have a franchise QB, you should be looking for one. If you miss on a franchise QB, you should discard him ASAP and continue the search until you find your guy. 

There is no easy solution for teams that don't have a franchise QB and there is no guarantee that you will get yours quickly. But it doesn't really matter - you have to try and keep trying because the alternative is worse. 

(edit: Disclaimer, because I know I will be misunderstood/misinterpreted - I do not mean draft QBs just for the sake of drafting QB. Draft him only if you really like him and you think he can be a franchise QB. If not, build up the roster for the time you like a QB and you acquire him, or try to accumulate future assets that might help you get a QB you like in the future)

I agree with you.  But I happen to believe this year's draft crop is more like your last paragraph.  That is why I subscribe to the idea of going another direction THIS year.  I don't see anything wrong with taking a guy who has potential in later rounds (Gordon, Morgan, Hurts?) but I don't think this draft is the place to get that franchise guy.  Now FA or trades with other teams...…...

I could be wrong though and I will trust Ballard whatever he decides.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

I’d be perfectly fine with it.... I just don’t think it will happen because I don’t believe KC will let Jones walk.... they’ll figure out the cap situation somehow. And Brown falling to #13 is unlikely as well.

I would love 2 DT's with our 1st 2 picks.  It doesnt matter who we have playing linebacker of corner.  This D's success is based on the D line.  Without a dominate front the rest of the back end peices r uesless.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I would love 2 DT's with our 1st 2 picks.  It doesnt matter who we have playing linebacker of corner.  This D's success is based on the D line.  Without a dominate front the rest of the back end peices r uesless.

And we actually have some nice young players on the Back 7.... but absolutely, a nasty Front 4 with game-wreckers at DT plus someone to bookend with Houston would make their jobs a heck of a lot easier. :thmup:

On 2/6/2020 at 7:42 PM, pacolts56 said:

Is Brown a NT?    Thought he was a DT/3 Tech

Derrick Brown is not a nose tackle. If we sign Chris Jones and draft Derrick Brown, they would be sharing minutes at the same position. 

Also Chris Jones is staying in KC for sure. He wants to be there, and the Chiefs want to keep him. They'll probably cut or restructure Sammy Watkins to make sure of it. 

• Like 1

That’s not accurate.... Brown can play 1/3/5 Tech....it’s his skill set and versatility that set him apart in this DT class.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/derrick-brown/pApm8s4Bhi

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scouting-Reports/Scouting-Report-Derrick-Brown.asp

Yeah the scouting reports I have seen say Brown could excel at any inside position.  He's that talented.

The ONLY knock I have seen anybody report is his change of direction is not great and sometimes he gets his pad level a little too high.  Other than that, he can do it all and I would LOVE to have him in Indy.  Prolly aint happnin tho.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 7:22 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I wouldn't  unless I was certain  they were the next VW