Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
BleedBlue4Shoe86

ESPN Mike Wells predicts: Colts to move up for Tua

Recommended Posts

Less of a report and more of a prediction. However, it would take a ton to get up that high to be able to draft him, so it ultimately depends on if Ballard is willing to use a lot of draft capital to move up, which we haven't seen from him thus far.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smoke on the water, fire in the sky... :) 

 

That time of the year... :) 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Less of a report and more of a prediction. However, it would take a ton to get up that high to be able to draft him, so it ultimately depends on if Ballard is willing to use a lot of draft capital to move up, which we haven't seen from him thus far.

 

True statement and we also know CB hasn't spent big in free agency.  However, I believe the situation this off season is different with the needs we have at QB and DL.  Maybe this year is the year he trades up and spends more $$??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I would love Tua if his health fully checked out, I don't see Ballard giving up a bunch of high draft picks to do so. He values draft picks so much. I think he would rather have a really bad season in 2020 in order to be in position to get a Trevor Lawrence. Sure it would suck for 2020 but I feel like Ballard is always looking at the big picture as opposed to being short sighted. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it’s just a prediction. But no  one is thinking we have a chance so nobody talks about it.  It would be funny if we moved up to 3 and took him. That would be something nobody predicted. Something to keep in mind these agents can have a big influence on where someone goes. What if the colts convinced his agent Indy was the best place and we were able to trade with the lions. Maybe his agent doesn’t tell the dolphins and they get screwed because the colts are the best place. I would think though with TUA being from Hawaii he would probably love Miami.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t see it but would love it. For starters no one in this draft can outbid Miami or Jacksonville. The Lions probably don’t even pick up the phone for the Colts. Giants are out of the question because Gettleman has never EVER traded down, even going back to his days in Carolina.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Can’t see it but would love it. For starters no one in this draft can outbid Miami or Jacksonville. The Lions probably don’t even pick up the phone for the Colts. Giants are out of the question because Gettleman has never EVER traded down, even going back to his days in Carolina.

To me it makes no sense for the Dolphins to sit at 5 and risk losing the QB they want to another team trading up to 3.  They can easily do it and should do so as soon as possible.  Heck the Lions could trade again at 5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Can’t see it but would love it. For starters no one in this draft can outbid Miami or Jacksonville. The Lions probably don’t even pick up the phone for the Colts. Giants are out of the question because Gettleman has never EVER traded down, even going back to his days in Carolina.

Thats nonsense. The lions are going to listen to all trade offers. You never know what can happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this comment on twitter and felt it could be spot on. 
 

Ballard is gonna roll with JB and CK, so all this info about Love be reported is pumping him up and helping him rise on draft boards. 
 

Then this prediction on Tua pumps people up again. In the end it causes a run on QBs and a player like Brown, Kinlaw, Lamb or Jeudy drips to us at 13. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would love this......

 

Me too.  That’s what I really want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

bold prediction: Tua falls to 13 and we pass on him

Way to much injury history for me to pick Tua at 13. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that happened I would trade down with Dolphins or Raiders granted they don't take QB at 5 or 12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Thats nonsense. The lions are going to listen to all trade offers. You never know what can happen.

The Colts don’t have the capital the other teams do. Even if we offer future picks they’re not going to be that high. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Saw this comment on twitter and felt it could be spot on. 
 

Ballard is gonna roll with JB and CK, so all this info about Love be reported is pumping him up and helping him rise on draft boards. 
 

Then this prediction on Tua pumps people up again. In the end it causes a run on QBs and a player like Brown, Kinlaw, Lamb or Jeudy drips to us at 13. 

Shaking_head.gif

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Colts don’t have the capital the other teams do. Even if we offer future picks they’re not going to be that high. 

You don’t know what the dolphins would be willing to give up. They have the 5th pick and if they like Herbert or Love enough they could say heck with it if it’s to much. You also don’t know what the colts would be willing to give up. It might be more than you think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of things can happen. There has been mocks and chatter that Miami passes on QB this year. 

 

On that topic, perhaps Miami (who would have to sit Tua a year anyway) sees Fields or Lawrence as a better and less risky pick next year. They absolutely have the draft capital available this year to push into next year and do whatever they want. 

 

As far as trading up, we do have enough capital this year to get to 3 or 4 (at least by the draft capital calculator says) if we wanted too. I also think NY and Detroit would absolutely pick up the phone. Both teams need a ton of different pieces, and more picks would be welcome to either. 

 

And if I were Miami, I'd welcome the opportunity to get even more draft capital to go after Fields or Lawrence next year. I'd prefer either one of the next year over Tua, even without his health concerns. Add in his health risks, and it's a no brainer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Colts don’t have the capital the other teams do. Even if we offer future picks they’re not going to be that high. 

13+34+44 = between the 3rd and 4th pick. That's without dipping into next year's picks.

Teams sometimes want more, and sometimes will take less, depending on their situation.

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/games/draft-pick-value.php

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

13+34+44 = between the 3rd and 4th pick. That's without dipping into next year's picks.

Teams sometimes want more, and sometimes will take less, depending on their situation.

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/games/draft-pick-value.php

It could be done

 

doubt it happens.....

 

but stranger things have occurred 

 

Tua... if healthy,..... would be an excellent choice

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

It could be done

 

doubt it happens.....

 

but stranger things have occurred 

 

Tua... if healthy,..... would be an excellent choice

agree on all of the above.

 

I wouldn't do it simply because Tua's combined health concerns + his need to sit out a year are just very unattractive to me.

 

If he had zero health questions, I'd be more than willing to to do it, but if that were the case, it would be harder to get him as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a healthy Tua is perfect for Reich. I know Greg Cosell said he needed a situation like Drew Brees in order to be successful and I think we are kind of like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is a scenario that Tua could drop to us, and it would be that during his health check at the combine it is found out that he will have to rehab longer than expected and possible through the regular season.

 

Which would freak teams out and he could possibly drop, but then the risk drafting him goes way up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Saw this comment on twitter and felt it could be spot on. 
 

Ballard is gonna roll with JB and CK, so all this info about Love be reported is pumping him up and helping him rise on draft boards. 
 

Then this prediction on Tua pumps people up again. In the end it causes a run on QBs and a player like Brown, Kinlaw, Lamb or Jeudy drips to us at 13. 

That would be shrewd and CB usually is that.  Although Burrow and Tua are the only QB's I would want in the 1st round, I just cannot see him pulling the trigger like that.  Unless Ballard is SURE that guy is the next Mahomes or Brady or Peyton, he is going to take his chances on another guy later on and take BPA.  Now......if it comes down to it and Tua just happens to land in his lap for some reason at 13, then yeah, I could see it.  But throwing all these reports out there linking the Colts and interest in all these QB's a is SMART way to go if there's another position you are honing in on (ie. DT or OT).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

You don’t know what the dolphins would be willing to give up. They have the 5th pick and if they like Herbert or Love enough they could say heck with it if it’s to much. You also don’t know what the colts would be willing to give up. It might be more than you think.

I don’t know what the Dolphins would be willing to give up but I know every pick they could give up would be higher than anything the Colts have this year and probably next year as well. An extra 1st this year is better than anything the Colts have this year. For example if the Lions had to choose between moving to 5 (getting Derrick Brown or Okudah) and then having pick 18 or 24 versus trading down to 13 (probably losing Okudah/Brown) and getting pick 34 and something else, that’s an easy decision.

 

I don’t know what the Colts would give up but I know our GM is self admittedly a hoarder of draft picks. Don’t see him selling out for one player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we should somehow draft him the RT position becomes more important as it would be Smith protecting his blind side versus AC or some other LT.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 10:21 PM, EastStreet said:

A lot of things can happen. There has been mocks and chatter that Miami passes on QB this year. 

 

On that topic, perhaps Miami (who would have to sit Tua a year anyway) sees Fields or Lawrence as a better and less risky pick next year. They absolutely have the draft capital available this year to push into next year and do whatever they want. 

 

As far as trading up, we do have enough capital this year to get to 3 or 4 (at least by the draft capital calculator says) if we wanted too. I also think NY and Detroit would absolutely pick up the phone. Both teams need a ton of different pieces, and more picks would be welcome to either. 

 

And if I were Miami, I'd welcome the opportunity to get even more draft capital to go after Fields or Lawrence next year. I'd prefer either one of the next year over Tua, even without his health concerns. Add in his health risks, and it's a no brainer.

Why are you certain Tua will not be ready for the 2020 season?  I'm not saying he will be, but I see reports he is on schedule and will be throwing by spring.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Why are you certain Tua will not be ready for the 2020 season?  I'm not saying he will be, but I see reports he is on schedule and will be throwing by spring.    

Last I saw from his agent, he's doing well in his timeline, but still not expected to do any workouts at the combine. He'll simply do the medical, and do private workouts (throwing) for teams in mid April prior to the draft. IIRC, he's still doing medical rehab twice a day, and will continue until mid March when he will begin doing football related stuff.

 

As far as the injury in general, it's a 6-12 month recovery timeline. That's a big range.  Even if everything goes perfect, and he's "cleared" in June, I don't see teams pushing a top 10 draft pick to rush back into things given the nature and past history of hip injuries. If I were Miami for example, no way I'm putting a top 5 pick/investment on the field until perhaps late season. And then only gradual baby steps.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 4:11 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Well it’s just a prediction. But no  one is thinking we have a chance so nobody talks about it.  It would be funny if we moved up to 3 and took him. That would be something nobody predicted. Something to keep in mind these agents can have a big influence on where someone goes. What if the colts convinced his agent Indy was the best place and we were able to trade with the lions. Maybe his agent doesn’t tell the dolphins and they get screwed because the colts are the best place. I would think though with TUA being from Hawaii he would probably love Miami.

Yeah ... Pretty sure his agent would just try to get Miami to trade up to two and take him in that scenario...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

According to this article, this is what it would take to get to #3 to possibly get Tua. For what it's worth. 

 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/2/9/21066630/why-tua-tagovailoa-would-be-the-perfect-qb-for-the-colts

 

They think the 13th overall, 44th overall, and 2021 1st could do it. 

That's not a bad price if you think Tua can be the guy he was projected to be before the injury. I wouldn't be mad at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I mentioned this once before in another thread, and I'll say it again here. There will be a TON of this team's final roster for the season playing on contracts that will expire at the end of this season (maybe almost half the roster). Heck, just two of those guys alone - Rivers and Brissett - will contribute to over $45 million in cap room for the team going into next offseason. So the team is going to be rolling in cash again next offseason. Could they top $100 million free? I don't know, but it will be huge. What does this have to do with Hooker? Here's what.   They didn't need to put themselves on the hook now for another year with him next year. Someone mentioned that all it takes is one team to offer him a boat load to lose him. Well, with the money this team will have, that won't matter. Because no matter what offers he gets, if this team wants him back, they will have way more than enough to match or beat those offers in order to keep him. And they hold all the leverage here because of it.   So it's not about the team not wanting him back because of his play, or because of his injuries, or anything else like that. It's simply because they don't HAVE to decide right now.   So why should they? Unless they were 100% sold, there's no reason for them to decide right now. Give themselves every last bit of information on him, which will include this upcoming season, and then decide based on ALL of the possible information. That's just smart business.   Something I, being new to the Colts, am coming to be quite impressed with in Ballard and this staff. Especially after following the traveling circus sideshow I've followed the last 15 years.
    • I think there's a reason for that.  Any coach that "tells it straight" doesn't last long in the NFL.   It's a PR thing.  Telling reporters that "you think you know, but you don't know", or "here's your IQ, buddy, zero", or "you play to win the game... HELLO?!?" usually ends up being one of the last things said as a head coach in the NFL.  Why do you think Belichick is so damn boring in his press conferences/interviews?!?  He gives the media/opponent absolutely zero when it comes to bulletin-board material for a very good reason...     As far as Kelly:  none of us know how he truly is behind the scenes.  For all we know, he's as talented as Michael Vick.  But when it comes to everything a franchise QB has to be, he might be closer to Ryan Leaf than Peyton Manning.  
    • Congrats buddy    I haven't  really gone over the schedule  but I'll pencil in 11-5 as a early prediction and hoping we get to play a Full schedule.   
    • Lol and for those still trying to keep count, Chloe has once again changed her stance on everything she has previously said. 
    • Any list that has Brissett is a bad list.  Also why even go past the total number of teams and rank backups who you rarely see against starters?  And on top of that it's bad enough that it's Simms writing this stuff.   Of all the media outlets I feel like NBC has the worst analysts and general football knowledge.  And Simms is a big part of that.   For the Colts there are two things in play this year...   First, how well can Rivers perform with all the pieces around him.  He's got an above average group across the board.  I would think pretty well is the answer but age is undefeated and he's got other competing interests now.  Even if he performs well and we see a deep playoff run what then?  He is obviously a short term answer.   Second, does Eason have the right stuff to be considered as the QB of the future.  Honestly the team doesn't know the answer to this right now.  They took a shot on a guy they liked, now will get a full year look at him to see how hard he works, how he leads, and whether he can process quickly enough.     Those two things need to be answered this year and the good thing here is with Reich and his offensive coaches I would think they will evaluate them well.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...