Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN Mike Wells predicts: Colts to move up for Tua

3 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Less of a report and more of a prediction. However, it would take a ton to get up that high to be able to draft him, so it ultimately depends on if Ballard is willing to use a lot of draft capital to move up, which we haven't seen from him thus far.

True statement and we also know CB hasn't spent big in free agency.  However, I believe the situation this off season is different with the needs we have at QB and DL.  Maybe this year is the year he trades up and spends more $$??

As much as I would love Tua if his health fully checked out, I don't see Ballard giving up a bunch of high draft picks to do so. He values draft picks so much. I think he would rather have a really bad season in 2020 in order to be in position to get a Trevor Lawrence. Sure it would suck for 2020 but I feel like Ballard is always looking at the big picture as opposed to being short sighted. 

• Like 1

Well it’s just a prediction. But no  one is thinking we have a chance so nobody talks about it.  It would be funny if we moved up to 3 and took him. That would be something nobody predicted. Something to keep in mind these agents can have a big influence on where someone goes. What if the colts convinced his agent Indy was the best place and we were able to trade with the lions. Maybe his agent doesn’t tell the dolphins and they get screwed because the colts are the best place. I would think though with TUA being from Hawaii he would probably love Miami.

Can’t see it but would love it. For starters no one in this draft can outbid Miami or Jacksonville. The Lions probably don’t even pick up the phone for the Colts. Giants are out of the question because Gettleman has never EVER traded down, even going back to his days in Carolina.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Can’t see it but would love it. For starters no one in this draft can outbid Miami or Jacksonville. The Lions probably don’t even pick up the phone for the Colts. Giants are out of the question because Gettleman has never EVER traded down, even going back to his days in Carolina.

To me it makes no sense for the Dolphins to sit at 5 and risk losing the QB they want to another team trading up to 3.  They can easily do it and should do so as soon as possible.  Heck the Lions could trade again at 5. 

27 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Thats nonsense. The lions are going to listen to all trade offers. You never know what can happen.

Saw this comment on twitter and felt it could be spot on. 

Ballard is gonna roll with JB and CK, so all this info about Love be reported is pumping him up and helping him rise on draft boards. 

Then this prediction on Tua pumps people up again. In the end it causes a run on QBs and a player like Brown, Kinlaw, Lamb or Jeudy drips to us at 13. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Ballard is gonna roll with JB and CK, so all this info about Love be reported is pumping him up and helping him rise on draft boards. 

Then this prediction on Tua pumps people up again. In the end it causes a run on QBs and a player like Brown, Kinlaw, Lamb or Jeudy drips to us at 13. 

Shaking_head.gif

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Colts don’t have the capital the other teams do. Even if we offer future picks they’re not going to be that high. 

You don’t know what the dolphins would be willing to give up. They have the 5th pick and if they like Herbert or Love enough they could say heck with it if it’s to much. You also don’t know what the colts would be willing to give up. It might be more than you think.

A lot of things can happen. There has been mocks and chatter that Miami passes on QB this year. 

On that topic, perhaps Miami (who would have to sit Tua a year anyway) sees Fields or Lawrence as a better and less risky pick next year. They absolutely have the draft capital available this year to push into next year and do whatever they want. 

As far as trading up, we do have enough capital this year to get to 3 or 4 (at least by the draft capital calculator says) if we wanted too. I also think NY and Detroit would absolutely pick up the phone. Both teams need a ton of different pieces, and more picks would be welcome to either. 

And if I were Miami, I'd welcome the opportunity to get even more draft capital to go after Fields or Lawrence next year. I'd prefer either one of the next year over Tua, even without his health concerns. Add in his health risks, and it's a no brainer.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Colts don’t have the capital the other teams do. Even if we offer future picks they’re not going to be that high. 

13+34+44 = between the 3rd and 4th pick. That's without dipping into next year's picks.

Teams sometimes want more, and sometimes will take less, depending on their situation.

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/games/draft-pick-value.php

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

13+34+44 = between the 3rd and 4th pick. That's without dipping into next year's picks.

Teams sometimes want more, and sometimes will take less, depending on their situation.

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/games/draft-pick-value.php

It could be done

doubt it happens.....

but stranger things have occurred 

Tua... if healthy,..... would be an excellent choice

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

It could be done

doubt it happens.....

but stranger things have occurred 

Tua... if healthy,..... would be an excellent choice

agree on all of the above.

I wouldn't do it simply because Tua's combined health concerns + his need to sit out a year are just very unattractive to me.

If he had zero health questions, I'd be more than willing to to do it, but if that were the case, it would be harder to get him as well. 

I think there is a scenario that Tua could drop to us, and it would be that during his health check at the combine it is found out that he will have to rehab longer than expected and possible through the regular season.

Which would freak teams out and he could possibly drop, but then the risk drafting him goes way up.

14 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

That would be shrewd and CB usually is that.  Although Burrow and Tua are the only QB's I would want in the 1st round, I just cannot see him pulling the trigger like that.  Unless Ballard is SURE that guy is the next Mahomes or Brady or Peyton, he is going to take his chances on another guy later on and take BPA.  Now......if it comes down to it and Tua just happens to land in his lap for some reason at 13, then yeah, I could see it.  But throwing all these reports out there linking the Colts and interest in all these QB's a is SMART way to go if there's another position you are honing in on (ie. DT or OT).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

You don’t know what the dolphins would be willing to give up. They have the 5th pick and if they like Herbert or Love enough they could say heck with it if it’s to much. You also don’t know what the colts would be willing to give up. It might be more than you think.

I don’t know what the Dolphins would be willing to give up but I know every pick they could give up would be higher than anything the Colts have this year and probably next year as well. An extra 1st this year is better than anything the Colts have this year. For example if the Lions had to choose between moving to 5 (getting Derrick Brown or Okudah) and then having pick 18 or 24 versus trading down to 13 (probably losing Okudah/Brown) and getting pick 34 and something else, that’s an easy decision.

I don’t know what the Colts would give up but I know our GM is self admittedly a hoarder of draft picks. Don’t see him selling out for one player.

On 2/6/2020 at 10:21 PM, EastStreet said:

A lot of things can happen. There has been mocks and chatter that Miami passes on QB this year. 

On that topic, perhaps Miami (who would have to sit Tua a year anyway) sees Fields or Lawrence as a better and less risky pick next year. They absolutely have the draft capital available this year to push into next year and do whatever they want. 

As far as trading up, we do have enough capital this year to get to 3 or 4 (at least by the draft capital calculator says) if we wanted too. I also think NY and Detroit would absolutely pick up the phone. Both teams need a ton of different pieces, and more picks would be welcome to either. 

And if I were Miami, I'd welcome the opportunity to get even more draft capital to go after Fields or Lawrence next year. I'd prefer either one of the next year over Tua, even without his health concerns. Add in his health risks, and it's a no brainer.

Why are you certain Tua will not be ready for the 2020 season?  I'm not saying he will be, but I see reports he is on schedule and will be throwing by spring.    

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Why are you certain Tua will not be ready for the 2020 season?  I'm not saying he will be, but I see reports he is on schedule and will be throwing by spring.    

Last I saw from his agent, he's doing well in his timeline, but still not expected to do any workouts at the combine. He'll simply do the medical, and do private workouts (throwing) for teams in mid April prior to the draft. IIRC, he's still doing medical rehab twice a day, and will continue until mid March when he will begin doing football related stuff.

As far as the injury in general, it's a 6-12 month recovery timeline. That's a big range.  Even if everything goes perfect, and he's "cleared" in June, I don't see teams pushing a top 10 draft pick to rush back into things given the nature and past history of hip injuries. If I were Miami for example, no way I'm putting a top 5 pick/investment on the field until perhaps late season. And then only gradual baby steps.

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2020 at 4:11 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Well it’s just a prediction. But no  one is thinking we have a chance so nobody talks about it.  It would be funny if we moved up to 3 and took him. That would be something nobody predicted. Something to keep in mind these agents can have a big influence on where someone goes. What if the colts convinced his agent Indy was the best place and we were able to trade with the lions. Maybe his agent doesn’t tell the dolphins and they get screwed because the colts are the best place. I would think though with TUA being from Hawaii he would probably love Miami.

Yeah ... Pretty sure his agent would just try to get Miami to trade up to two and take him in that scenario...

14 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

According to this article, this is what it would take to get to #3 to possibly get Tua. For what it's worth. 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/2/9/21066630/why-tua-tagovailoa-would-be-the-perfect-qb-for-the-colts

They think the 13th overall, 44th overall, and 2021 1st could do it. 

That's not a bad price if you think Tua can be the guy he was projected to be before the injury. I wouldn't be mad at it.