Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

(NOT NEWS) [PFF] 2020 NFL QB Carousel: Philip Rivers lands in Indianapolis, Chicago gets their replacement for Trubisky

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2020-nfl-qb-carousel-philip-rivers-lands-in-indianapolis-chicago-gets-their-replacement-for-trubisky

First of all, this is NOT NEWS article, this is a prediction about what might happen in the off-season. Some very interesting stats both on Jacoby and on Rivers. 

2020 NFL QB Carousel: Philip Rivers lands in Indianapolis, Chicago gets their replacement for Trubisky

Many veteran quarterbacks are set to hit the open market this offseason, and a few others will likely be on the move via trade or through roster cuts. And while we all love the chaos and the “what-ifs,” we still have to be realists and recognize what truly makes the most sense.

That being said, here, using PFF's advanced database that is used by all 32 NFL teams and 71 FBS programs, we break down the most likely quarterback moves and stays this offseason.

PHILIP RIVERS SIGNS WITH THE INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

After leading the team to a 5-2 record to start the year, many Colts fans and folks in the media were quick to name quarterback Jacoby Brissett as an MVP candidate. The Colts then went on to lose seven of their next nine, and now all those people are ready to bench Brissett and bring in a new starter.

The reality is that he was a backup quarterback the whole time. Brissett produced a PFF grade above 60.0 in only five of his 15 games played in 2019, paving the way to just a 59.3 PFF grade on the year that ranked 29th of 32 quarterbacks — a mark that was actually worse than his 2017 62.4 PFF grade when he had to step in for an injured Andrew Luck.

Over the 2019 season, Brissett produced the position's second-lowest big-time throw rate and the second-lowest rate of “accurate plus” passes (perfectly placed throws) on 20-plus yard targets, highlighting his limitations as a passer.

The Colts are in a really good situation to make some plays this offseason. They already owned the 15th most valuable roster, per PFF WAR, when taking quarterbacks out of the question, and they currently possess the second-most cap space as we head into free agency. With all that being considered, Philip Rivers should be at the top of their wish list.

Rivers didn't have his best season in 2019 by any means, but it certainly wasn't his worst, either. His 74.3 PFF grade in 2019 was the 10th best of his 14 seasons in the PFF era, but it still ranked 17th in the NFL. He was in Jameis Winston's realm as far as generating positive and negative plays by ranking in the top 10 in big-time throws and bottom three in turnover-worthy plays, but his accuracy remained sharp. On throws targeted 10-plus yards downfield, Rivers produced the eighth-highest rate of accurate passes thrown, which is a statistical category that Brissett ranked second to last in. Let's also not forget that Indy head coach Frank Reich was Rivers' quarterback's coach and then offensive coordinator from 2013-15 in San Diego, too.

I'm actually kind of warming up to bringing Rivers in as our bridge QB if we can trade Jacoby for something of value and draft our QB of the future to learn from Rivers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, stitches said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2020-nfl-qb-carousel-philip-rivers-lands-in-indianapolis-chicago-gets-their-replacement-for-trubisky

First of all, this is NOT NEWS article, this is a prediction about what might happen in the off-season. Some very interesting stats both on Jacoby and on Rivers. 

I'm actually kind of warming up to bringing Rivers in as our bridge QB if we can trade Jacoby for something of value and draft our QB of the future to learn from Rivers. 

I would be very happy with a Rivers type

I would hope we wait to trade Jacoby until Draft Day 

• Like 1

To me SD has more talent then the colts so I don’t see him as much of a upgrade. All these guys are declining  and the new studs are taking over. Unless we draft a guy to sit behind him a year I would rather just go with Jacoby. I am alright playing Jacoby another year while a rookie sits.  

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

To me SD has more talent then the colts so I don’t see him as much of a upgrade. All these guys are declining  and the new studs are taking over. Unless we draft a guy to sit behind him a year I would rather just go with Jacoby. I am alright playing Jacoby another year while a rookie sits.  

Overall talent wise yes. But their offense line has rivaled our offensive line pre Nelson

It's been clear to me now for some time that Rivers would be an obvious upgrade*. Not saying it's a cure all or that Ballard shouldn't draft someone though.

*And upgrade might imply that it's a close thing between the two players, it's not. The offense is dysfunctional with JB at the helm. I don't think it would be with Rivers, that's what I'm ultimately judging.

Nice to see PFF stats back up what anyone who really watched Jacoby this past season knows, which is that Brissett was BAD. Not average, but bad. I wouldn’t mind Rivers for 2 years while you groom another QB behind him. Rivers has had a terrible O-line in San Diego for years. Put him here with a top notch O-line, top 5 run game, and you might really have something. Just need another receiver and TE.

I don’t think this stops you drafting Love in the 1st though.

• Like 2

Rivers had a really bad year, and isn't an upgrade on JB at this point in time. They already gave JB an inflated contract, no real need to dump more cap space into another bridge-gap contract. Either A) Take the best QB available at 13, likely Herbert or Love or B) Draft as many pieces as you can for an eventual run when we do land our guy in 2021. It looks like there will be at least 3 high end guys available in Lawrence, Fields, and now Purdy, and with JB at the helm we should likely pick Top 10 again. Go big or go homeless, right?

8 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Rivers had a really bad year, and isn't an upgrade on JB at this point in time. They already gave JB an inflated contract, no real need to dump more cap space into another bridge-gap contract. Either A) Take the best QB available at 13, likely Herbert or Love or B) Draft as many pieces as you can for an eventual run when we do land our guy in 2021. It looks like there will be at least 3 high end guys available in Lawrence, Fields, and now Purdy, and with JB at the helm we should likely pick Top 10 again. Go big or go homeless, right?

The Colts couldn't pick in the top-10 this year with Brissett hurt, and falling off a cliff production-wise, so I'm not sure how, with added assets from the draft/FA this year, the Colts finish in the top-10, let alone top-3, next year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

The Colts couldn't pick in the top-10 this year with Brissett hurt, and falling off a cliff production-wise, so I'm not sure how, with added assets from the draft/FA this year, the Colts finish in the top-10, let alone top-3, next year.

Who knows? I'm sure everyone had the 49ers penciled in for the SB at this time last year. The parity in the NFL in unrivaled. 

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

This would be a BAD move IMHO

You never bring in a 38 year old player unless he is the final pc needed to win a SB

That doesn’t describe this years team

I agree.  The only way I'd be a little warm to the idea would be if we also draft a QB early so Rivers can show him the ropes, like Alex Smith and Patrick Mahomes.  Otherwise, I don't think bringing in a 38 year old QB for 1 season on a team with multiple holes is a good idea.  Build with the future and long-term success in mind

This makes little sense to me because there is no guarantee the young QB they want to draft is going to be there at 13.  And we are going to give Rivers a contract larger than JB's?  The only other veteran QB story which is getting more and more play is Bridgewater to the Colts.  I can see Ballard going that route and possibly trading JB back to the Patriots for a 4th or 5th.  Then he uses the draft to build the team around him like he was hoping to do with Luck.  Under that scenario I could even see him trading back a few spots again with 13 to get more picks.  And if he gets Bridgewater I could also see him getting more aggressive in FA to fill a hole or two.