Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Be Careful what you wish for

On 2/6/2020 at 7:56 AM, IkeAramba said:

Apologies if my first attempt at embedding a tweet is wrong but this is the tweet OP was referring to:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">QB player comps <br><br>(*suggest to change; based on style/traits not a career prediction)<br><br>Burrow - Andrew Luck<br>Tua - Drew Brees<br>Herbert - Carson Wentz<br>Love - Colin Kaepernick<br>Eason - James Winston</p>&mdash; Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) <a href="https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/1225117960295145472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 5, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

In the replies he compared Fromm to Kirk Cousins

I agree with the exception of mental toughness.  I think Fromm beats out Cousins when it comes to mental toughness

5 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

Eh, I don't feel there was any CK "hate" before the "lovers" started flooding every topic with pLaY cHaD kElLy - hez teh best!!1! SEC stats!! It has gotten a little extreme in both sides now, though.

It seems like most here would be ok if Chad got a shot and especially if he did well. I don't think most here would be ok if we pinned the entire direction of the franchise on the idea of Chad Kelly.  I think it's a situation if keeping him on the roster and if he gets a shot due to injury or simply blowing away the competition in training camp, great. But don't have your entire offseason hinging on the hopes that a proven knucklehead stops being a knucklehead. 

I want to see what he can do mainly, and I would be lying if it wasnt because JB to me, isnt the face or to be the face of this franchise. The QB position is wide open. I am a glass is half full kind of person, so my Hope's are that CK has his head on straight finally. The track record says otherwise. 

I also wouldnt be upset to see Ballard draft a QB in round 1 or 2. 

I get the hate I suppose. I felt the same way about Justin Bieber or Miley Cyrus. It gets old. 

On 2/6/2020 at 8:33 AM, Indeee said:

It's also no secret that you are a Love supporter which is fine, so I'm not surprised you would have this take. Who cares about me or my opinion as I don't profess to be an expert, however Matt Miller from BR had the same comparison as I got when I originally watched some of his highlights. I'm sure he has spent more time than a couple minutes on this guy and he got the same conclusion.  So there is that for what that is worth

On 2/6/2020 at 8:56 AM, IkeAramba said:

Apologies if my first attempt at embedding a tweet is wrong but this is the tweet OP was referring to:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">QB player comps <br><br>(*suggest to change; based on style/traits not a career prediction)<br><br>Burrow - Andrew Luck<br>Tua - Drew Brees<br>Herbert - Carson Wentz<br>Love - Colin Kaepernick<br>Eason - James Winston</p>&mdash; Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) <a href="https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/1225117960295145472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 5, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

In the replies he compared Fromm to Kirk Cousins

you do not need to do that just post the direct link the site does that for you

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 7:48 AM, Jdubu said:

I am a big fan of letting Kelly take the reigns over and not drafting a QB in the first couple rounds. Take one later to groom in parallel with CK just in case the head falls back into young and stupid Kelly. Going this route allows you to get a guy later with some upside and if Kelly works out and we also develop the second guy, we have trade material a few years in. 

who Kelly reminds anyone is irrelevant imho because they all get put in different schemes, coaches and players around them. Troy Aikman in his prime would be a failure if he was behind the olines we trotted out 2012-2017 but he sure was a heck of a college talent. 

I don’t look at Kelly as being a HOF guy we aren’t playing, however, I don’t think any of the guys coming out this year are either. I surmise that Chad Kelly has every bit of the skill sets that any of these guys we are looking at in round 1 this year. Why would we spend high draft capital on one when we have a guy who matches up equally as well with all of these kids potential and he is already on the team and understands the system well. CK May fail, but so may Love, Eason, Herbert, and Tua. I think it’s higher % that we go with Kelly than taking risk on a guy at 13 who could possibly flop. Losing out on that pick sets you back 3-5 years. Missing on CK sets you back one as you go after the next years QB class. 

Seriously, though, I have no idea what I really want us to do this offseason. I see a lot of passionate options and I'm over here like, "I think most of these could work." 

indeed-meme-com-34423702.png

8 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

Seriously, though, I have no idea what I really want us to do this offseason. I see a lot of passionate options and I'm over here like, "I think most of these could work." 

indeed-meme-com-34423702.png

So true. Everyone has opinions and none of us know any better than the next. We are all weekend GM’s without a paid position on the team lol. My opinion is formed from just observations of what the team has done and what I interpret things to mean. I may be wrong (highly likely) or I could have something in my theory. It’s really just fun to guess and lay out how you see things working out. It’s the offseason, it’s what we do best. 

• Like 1

Player comparisons are always an "eye of the beholder" type discussions and usually suffer from recency bias.  Everyone wants to find the next Pat Mahomes.  But when someone gives a comp, you have to consider the author.  Some may give a comparison and they could be talking about one context of their game, a player who shares their physical talents, or playing style, etc. 

That being said, the Colin Kaepernick comparison is so bad on so many levels.  Nevermind that Kaep played in a different offensive scheme (pistol offense) and poor throwing mechanics.  Neither Mahomes or Love were world class in terms of field awareness, but in college, they both were light years ahead of Kaepernick.   The easiest way to say it is that all three have a running QB ability in their DNA.  But Kaepernick's running ability did not significantly add to his passing ability as a QB, which was pretty average to below average.  Love and Mahomes have a gunslinger's mentality that can get them into trouble sometimes, but they are far better at using their legs to extend passing plays.  Mahomes has used his legs to make him one of the most dangerous passers I've ever seen.  Love may never be that guy, but he's got more of a chance to be Mahomes-esque whereas Kaepernick never really had a chance to be the Mahomes before we ever knew who Mahomes was.  

As far as "be careful what you wish for," yeah, we could crash and burn if we drafted a QB.  We could also crash and burn with Jacoby and/or Chad Kelly.  So really, it doesn't matter what we do.  The worst case scenario for anyone, no matter if you support JB, CK or drafting a QB, is that we  get more of JB and probably more mediocrity.

In all fairness the only time the Colts looked anything close to normal. Or the Colts actually moved the ball close to what A Luck, and P Manning was in the pre-season with C Kelly. And no I am not comparing Kelly with Manning or Luck. I’m just saying, C Kelly moves the ball. After this last season I hope the Colts draft a QB at 13. 
And let that QB and Kelly both have an equal shot at starting this year. Because JB is not the answer at all. Is it doable—-Kelly is on the league minimum and whatever rookie you bring in will be on a rookie contract