Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pat McAfee says Teddy Bridgewater to Colts

Well said Pat.  I really think Teddy to the Colts has a very good chance of happening.  I would prefer Carr as I have previously mentioned but Teddy would be a great fit as well.  The added benefit with Teddy is we keep all of our picks.  Both, I think, are proven and the safer route to improving the QB position and making us immediate contenders again.  I am hoping Ballard feels the same way.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yup, I agree with you guys. Youth plays a big part in many ways. Let’s look how tired the 49ers looked just trying to catch Mahomes in the 4th Quarter. Sherman needed oxygen and rest just trying to keep up with Pat’s receivers. The defensive line did not have to hustle to sack Grapolo, Garaplo...the 49ers quarterback. He looked just like Brissett dropping back and then going back into the closing pocket. No scrambling! Remember that game we played as kids, where the ball was tossed up into the air and if you caught it you ran trying to not get tackled by over 50 of your friends? I bet Mahomes played that game in his youth...wait , he is still playing it.

Jacoby, I like you but I am all for  

winning more games with high scores and championships.

I want another Super Bowl Victory!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

What is it with Colts related analysts and pundits loving the exact same type of dink and dunk QB we already have(actually fun fact - they have chosen the 2 QBs that are actually even MORE dink and dunk than JB)? The Teddys and Carrs of the world that Indy media is clamoring for are extremely similar playstyle wise to Jacoby. They might be a bit better and more accurate than JB, but they are not fundamentally different QBs... they are not franchise QBs IMO. There is a reason they would be available on the market. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, stitches said:

What is it with Colts related analysts and pundits loving the exact same type of dink and dunk QB we already have(actually fun fact - they have chosen the 2 QBs that are actually even MORE dink and dunk than JB)? The Teddys and Carrs of the world that Indy media is clamoring for are extremely similar playstyle wise to Jacoby. They might be a bit better and more accurate than JB, but they are not fundamentally different QBs... they are not franchise QBs IMO. There is a reason they would be available on the market. 

For all we know, Ballard gets Teddy and drafts a QB. Teddy starts while the new guy learns. Even if we drafted Love, he probably doesn’t start anyways. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

For all we know, Ballard gets Teddy and drafts a QB. Teddy starts while the new guy learns. Even if we drafted Love, he probably doesn’t start anyways. 

Possible, but, I kind of feel like if you are getting one of those relatively young vets(Carr, Teddy) you are doing it for them to be your QB of the future because of the resources you will need to invest(in the case of Carr, you will need to give up some good picks in addition to potentially extending him, and in the case of Bridgewater you probably will need to give him long-term contract to come in the first place).

I don't see them as bridge QBs because of how much you need to invest. I think Jacoby is a perfectly good bridge QB and if you want to upgrade him, I'd be looking into something more along the lines of the old vets like Rivers, where there is no pretense about what it is that you are doing(securing slight upgrade in the short-term and securing a bridge until the new guy is ready). 

I think whoever we draft, it's still more likely that Jacoby starts next year than not. At least week 1. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

As a coach hasn't it always been easier for an organization to have similar style QBs on roster so you don't have to re-write your game script?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

As a coach hasn't it always been easier for an organization to have similar style QBs on roster so you don't have to re-write your game script?

Yes, if you don't want to change your QB situation. My assumption is that we actually want something better than more of the same. The easiest way to see what Reich's playcalling usually looks like is to see what his teams prior to Jacoby have done with QBs like Rivers, Wentz and Luck and how it's different with a QB like Jacoby. With those earlier QBs his offenses were some of the most pass-happy in the league and with Jacoby it was the second most run heavy in the league. 

If I were to guess what type of style offense Reich wants to run, I'd guess something much closer to what he ran last year with Luck than what he ran this year with Jacoby. You don't even have to take my word for it. Go to his introductory press-conference and he tells you right there what his ideal offense looks like(27:00):

-Multiple-attack, uptempo offense, we will be aggressive. Strong element of no-huddle offense

With Luck we were that. With Jacoby we were one of the slowest teams in game-neutral situations in the league and we had very little no-huddle offense.

Now, it's only normal for the coach to tailor his playcalling and schemes to the strengths and weaknesses of his personnel(and especially QB), but IMO if given the chance Frank would choose a much different type of QB than the JBs and Bridgewaters of the world. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, stitches said:

I actually agree with this. In regards to Teddy his best season was 4 years ago and wasn’t much better than JBs season this year. I do really like Carr and would be happy if that was the move. 

IMO David Carr makes the most sense for us. I have no problem with giving up a draft pick or picks to get him. Having a solid franchise QB in place is worth a couple of draft picks. I believe that Carr could be a very solid franchise QB. He may not be Andrew Luck but he is definitely an upgrade over JB. A solid QB on a balanced team with a decent defense and run game can make some noise in this league.

• Like 1

Man...…...reading this thread I'm just realizing how truly screwed this team is for the immediate future.  There may some scenarios better than others, but there is no Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning walking through that door anytime soon.  And that makes me feel pretty depressed.

5 hours ago, stitches said:

The same could be said about the fans clamoring for us to draft Jake Fromm. This obsession with the safe, game manager QB’s is weird. People loved Luck and Manning but wants QBs that are nothing like them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Yes, if you don't want to change your QB situation. My assumption is that we actually want something better than more of the same. The easiest way to see what Reich's playcalling usually looks like is to see what his teams prior to Jacoby have done with QBs like Rivers, Wentz and Luck and how it's different with a QB like Jacoby. With those earlier QBs his offenses were some of the most pass-happy in the league and with Jacoby it was the second most run heavy in the league. 

If I were to guess what type of style offense Reich wants to run, I'd guess something much closer to what he ran last year with Luck than what he ran this year with Jacoby. You don't even have to take my word for it. Go to his introductory press-conference and he tells you right there what his ideal offense looks like(27:00):

-Multiple-attack, uptempo offense, we will be aggressive. Strong element of no-huddle offense

With Luck we were that. With Jacoby we were one of the slowest teams in game-neutral situations in the league and we had very little no-huddle offense.

Now, it's only normal for the coach to tailor his playcalling and schemes to the strengths and weaknesses of his personnel(and especially QB), but IMO if given the chance Frank would choose a much different type of QB than the JBs and Bridgewaters of the world. 

OK, when I was not complaining about the lack of benching/retiring AV last year. I consistently complained about the boring, predictable play calling. In retrospect I think the coaching staff felt that they were simplifying the play book to help JB.  

The play calling did not help JB, the lack of quick slants, bubble screens and an up-tempo offense   would of helped JB get in a rhythm. My Wife was one of the first to point out the decline in JB"s performance after his injury. 

I think there is plenty of room to share the reason for a disappointing season. It is not all JB"s fault 

5 minutes ago, onebad150 said:

OK, when I was not complaining about the lack of benching/retiring AV last year. I consistently complained about the boring, predictable play calling. In retrospect I think the coaching staff felt that they were simplifying the play book to help JB.  

The play calling did not help JB, the lack of quick slants, bubble screens and an up-tempo offense   would of helped JB get in a rhythm. My Wife was one of the first to point out the decline in JB"s performance after his injury. 

I think there is plenty of room to share the reason for a disappointing season. It is not all JB"s fault 

Oh for sure, there is plenty to go around. From AV and the kicking unit, to JB, to Reich who in certain cases by trying to simplify things for Brissett was actually hurting him, to the defense that seemed like they gave up in the last month of the season. There is not a single reason the season ended up in disappointment... but still... if we are talking about the most important position on the field, the QB, we need to be aiming higher than JB type QBs in my opinion. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The same could be said about the fans clamoring for us to draft Jake Fromm. This obsession with the safe, game manager QB’s is weird. People loved Luck and Manning but wants QBs that are nothing like them.

Agree to a large degree, but with Fromm there is a bit more than most game managers. He has great anticipation and accuracy on short to intermediate throws and there is a chance he actually turns into a very good pocket passer and distributor. I would still prefer a QB with a bit more playmaking though. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Well said Pat.  I really think Teddy to the Colts has a very good chance of happening.  I would prefer Carr as I have previously mentioned but Teddy would be a great fit as well.  The added benefit with Teddy is we keep all of our picks.  Both, I think, are proven and the safer route to improving the QB position and making us immediate contenders again.  I am hoping Ballard feels the same way.  

I'm sorry can you tell me when the last time signing someone else's good backup actually worked out for a team?  Because it seems to me that this method usually fails

Doesn't mean it always will fail and I actually like Teddy alot and would love to see him succeed (How can you not root for someone coming back after an injury like that.)  

14 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Today on his podcast, Pat said that he felt Bridgewater was a great fit for the Colts. He also said he had no issue with Jacoby being starter next year. 

I love PM but everything that comes out of his mouth is a joke. Especially his opinions on football players, nothing wrong with JB or AV. Stick to comedy pat cause your no sports analyst.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm sorry can you tell me when the last time signing someone else's good backup actually worked out for a team?  Because it seems to me that this method usually fails

Doesn't mean it always will fail and I actually like Teddy alot and would love to see him succeed (How can you not root for someone coming back after an injury like that.)  

I think the only reason he's making it to FA is they have a log jam at the QB position and salary cap decisions also come into the position there as well.  Their problem could be our gain.  I think Brees was a backup at one time but I could be wrong and he signed as a FA.   Many backup QB make it with their teams like Brady and many backups get traded and make it like Jimmy G.  Teddy was a  1st rd pick and became a successful starter and then the injury set him back quite a few years.  Now he's fully recovered ready to return to a starter role where he really belongs.  I think he would be a perfect upgrade over JB. 

• Like 2

On 2/5/2020 at 1:14 PM, richard pallo said:

I think the only reason he's making it to FA is they have a log jam at the QB position and salary cap decisions also come into the position there as well.  Their problem could be our gain.  I think Brees was a backup at one time but I could be wrong and he signed as a FA.   Many backup QB make it with their teams like Brady and many backups get traded and make it like Jimmy G.  Teddy was a  1st rd pick and became a successful starter and then the injury set him back quite a few years.  Now he's fully recovered ready to return to a starter role where he really belongs.  I think he would be a perfect upgrade over JB. 

Jimmy G. is a counter argument that seems to have worked out.  I will admit that.

Brees was only a backup his rookie year.  After that he was the starter for the Chargers.  He received a shoulder injury in the last game of the 2005 season.  Because of the injury and also because they had drafted Rivers the Chargers low-balled him in negotiations.  (They had already franchised him the previous year.)  Brees walked away because they low-balled him so much and became a free agent. 

That situation was much closer to a Peyton Manning situation except with a much younger player than it is to signing another team's backup.  

20 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Jimmy G. is a counter argument that seems to have worked out.  I will admit that.

Brees was only a backup his rookie year.  After that he was the starter for the Chargers.  He received a shoulder injury in the last game of the 2005 season.  Because of the injury and also because they had drafted Rivers the Chargers low-balled him in negotiations.  (They had already franchised him the previous year.)  Brees walked away because they low-balled him so much and became a free agent. 

That situation was much closer to a Peyton Manning situation except with a much younger player than it is to signing another team's backup.  

Bridgewater and Brees circumstances are very similar.  Not apples to apples but very similar.  Both players circumstances were effected by their injury issues.  Teams not sure when and if they would recover fully.  Brees had to show he had recovered by going to the Saints.  Bridgewater settled in behind Brees and now has shown he has fully recovered.  Now they have too many good players at the QB position and Brees is going to come back with a large contract. Bridgewater knows he is going to find a starting job with another team.  No need to wait on Brees retiring.  They both were starters before their injuries.  Now Bridgewater is ready to be one again and the Colts would be a perfect spot for him.   

• Sad 1

FWIW Charley Casserly did a segment today about Bridgewater on the NFL channel.  He said he is the ideal FA QB for a team that thinks the QB position is the one they need to solve to get them into the playoffs and become a SB contender.  His age, experience and talent are ideal for a FA QB to lead a team.  He mentioned GM's would have to compare him to the new QB draft class to see where he fits.  He ranked Burrows and Tua ahead of him talent wise.  Herbert and Bridgewater even.  Everyone else behind Bridgewater.  So it depends on where teams currently rank their roster as being ready to seriously compete or are they building for the future.  He thinks teams believing they are ready to seriously compete should be interested in Bridgewater.  

• Haha 1

I like Teddy. But his arm strength is no where close to Carr's. And people dump on Carr's arm ( I believe mistakenly ). Teddy is accurate, and a solid game manager. Carr has more intangibles, and a much bigger arm. Carr is the superior choice if there was a choice to have. 

On 2/5/2020 at 9:23 AM, onebad150 said:

Playcalling can only help you if you know how to make the plays called.  People talk about teams learning what JB was doing, and that he wouldn't go deep ... The biggest things defenses learned from tape, were that JB couldn't read coverages, and couldn't tell his line much....  

Once that was out, and he wasn't going to make a second most of the time, let alone a third, read... It didn't matter what play was called, just cover your man and most of the time he's not going to complete the pass ... When he did complete them, it was the  random times the first, and once in a while second man was wide open..... 

The Next time he goes through his progressions, like the next time he throws a covered man open.... Will be his first.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

I like Teddy. But his arm strength is no where close to Carr's. And people dump on Carr's arm ( I believe mistakenly ). Teddy is accurate, and a solid game manager. Carr has more intangibles, and a much bigger arm. Carr is the superior choice if there was a choice to have. 

Arm strength is important, but is the most overrated attribute for a QB.  I remember a QB who was tagged in pretty badly for his arm strength coming into the league... Some Manning guy....

On 2/5/2020 at 8:11 AM, AZColt11 said:

Man...…...reading this thread I'm just realizing how truly screwed this team is for the immediate future.  There may some scenarios better than others, but there is no Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning walking through that door anytime soon.  And that makes me feel pretty depressed.

So for once the Colts front office will actually have to build a team rather than rely on super star qbs

• Like 1